Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Rinkles posted:

How does a game like The Line a) have multiplayer, b) do multiplayer?

It wasn't supposed to but the publisher forced them to tack it on. I'm guessing the bare minimum of effort went into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SotC is definitely meant to make you feel uncomfortable killing the colossi, which is further highlighted by Wander gradually losing more of his humanity along the way. I loved the story but it's not something I think I'd ever have "fun" replaying.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
New Metal Max?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYRE_avtdps

(Tanks in wasteland desert settings are so cooool)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Line's multiplayer was pretty fun. It's just 3rd person cover shooting with a pretty heavy stealth element. There were environmental sand traps, just like in the single player, and also sand storms would roll in and drop visibility.

I guess the real answer is "the same was as TLoU". By turning a story driven, thematically driven single player experience into a multiplayer shooter.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but please don’t undercut TLoU multiplayer, which was honestly kind of ahead of its time, seeing as how the most popular games in the world right now besides Minecraft and Overwatch are really similar in execution. TLoU Multiplayer is just like getting dropped into the last 4 minutes of a PUBG game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not. I was just saying that a game being known for it's single player narrative experience doesn't mean its arena shooter multiplayer is bad.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

How does a game like The Line a) have multiplayer, b) do multiplayer?

Snak posted:

The Line's multiplayer was pretty fun. It's just 3rd person cover shooting with a pretty heavy stealth element. There were environmental sand traps, just like in the single player, and also sand storms would roll in and drop visibility.

Pretty much this. Moving through the maps was a bigger deal than just popping out of cover and shooting as someone out of cover could shoot something that would kill you even behind cover and weapons were deadly.

I mean, it wasn't truly amazing but was fun for a bunch of hours when the game had some people playing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but please don’t undercut TLoU multiplayer, which was honestly kind of ahead of its time, seeing as how the most popular games in the world right now besides Minecraft and Overwatch are really similar in execution. TLoU Multiplayer is just like getting dropped into the last 4 minutes of a PUBG game.

Except TLOU had a really heavy teamwork focus. To me I always thought of it as like, rainbow 6 or SOCOM traded in gadgets for scrounging and brutal improv violence.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Did they confirm MP is coming back for TLOU2? I'm worried since U4 MP felt really bland compared to 2 and 3's

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also TLoU multiplayer is loving brutal, considering they use the same kill animations from the single player game, including the one where the person has a panicked look on their face and holds their hands up pleading before you shoot them in that face and turn it into chunks of lifeless meat. Also the one where they're crawling around helplessly on all fours because your previous attack has already given them significant brain damage or blinded them permanently and then you stomp on their neck and blast them in the back of the head.

Fun times

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lakbay posted:

Did they confirm MP is coming back for TLOU2? I'm worried since U4 MP felt really bland compared to 2 and 3's

No but I'd say it's a sure thing. It was pretty popular online and still has people playing. ND knows people love it I'm sure and you gotta have a way to sell cosmetic crap.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also TLoU multiplayer is loving brutal, considering they use the same kill animations from the single player game, including the one where the person has a panicked look on their face and holds their hands up pleading before you shoot them in that face and turn it into chunks of lifeless meat. Also the one where they're crawling around helplessly on all fours because your previous attack has already given them significant brain damage or blinded them permanently and then you stomp on their neck and blast them in the back of the head.

Fun times

Yeah games are super violent these days but none really invoke the "ewwwwwww" reaction TLOU does when you blow some guys face off point blank or slice his throat open.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

which games are you talking about

if it's pubg then I can't see where you're coming from at all

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Except TLOU had a really heavy teamwork focus. To me I always thought of it as like, rainbow 6 or SOCOM traded in gadgets for scrounging and brutal improv violence.

TLoU definitely inherited SOCOM's mantle, at least SOCOM 1/2. That's part of the reason I became so attached to it. SOCOM 1/2 were much more about stealth and communication that breaks into sudden violence, but it was always gun violence. A lot of watching in waiting in that game which made it tense, and tlou's got all that plus a scrappy melee system.

The other part of tlou multiplayer that got me hooked was the awesome and incredibly varied voice acting that somehow still feels fresh 4 years on, it's such an integral part of the minute to minute experience.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I see a rifle!

Over there, straggler!

Tourists!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'MMMM DOOWWWNN

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lakbay posted:

I'MMMM DOOWWWNN

AGGGGHHHHHH FUCKKKK............

......I'M DOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNN

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seedge posted:

I see a rifle!

Over there, straggler!

Tourists!

gently caress those guys!

I'm fuckin dying over here!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Feenix posted:

No. I get that. I think maybe my monitor is just blown out in brightness (but looks normal to me?) Because every game on PS4 has always shared and streamed REALLy dark. And yes, it doesn't look terrible in this case, maybe better, but in lots of games, especially a night time setting, the action is bathed in blackness and hard to see.

Almost everybody has their monitor/TV set to 'needs to show up on the showroom floor' levels of blazing light. Run a home theater calibration video and set up the monitor properly (or get your hands on a datacolor spyder if you're really hard core) and for a few days, your monitor will look horrible to you, then you'll adjust, and you'll be offended by your old settings.

Also, I'm legit considering buying a PSVR for the FF15 fishing game.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 20, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TheCenturion posted:

Run a home theater calibration video and set up the monitor properly

Is there a Youtube video I can use for this or what's the recommend way?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there a Youtube video I can use for this or what's the recommend way?

Well, a google search for 'monitor calibration' starts me here:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

There's DVDs and blu-rays you can buy with all sorts of videos and setup images, some of them come with color filter flimsies and stuff. A long time ago, I used the Avia Guide to Home Theater disc; nowadays, I use a datacolor spyder and their software.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

exquisite tea posted:

SotC is definitely meant to make you feel uncomfortable killing the colossi, which is further highlighted by Wander gradually losing more of his humanity along the way. I loved the story but it's not something I think I'd ever have "fun" replaying.

I agree with you on that. I beat the game and I think I only redid about 1 or 2 of the really fun ones. I remember some of them being large pains in the rear end that relied on the AI to cooperate with you to beat them.

On a separate totally unrelated note, I was listening to the Deus Ex soundtracks and where did that game go wrong? It's a pretty solid game, but I remember losing interest with it, which was weird because I think I binge gamed through Human Revolution. There was just something that I hated about Mankind Divided that I can't put my finger on. I even read the prequel book that really didn't tell you much about what's going on in the game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm encoding the writing and acting in Hellblade but it's pretty drat depressing. The Raven/Darkness fight was pretty fun, though! I'm a little more than halfway done and I missed a couple of runes in the first area. I'm guessing you'll have to start a new game if you want to go get them?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fun times
For the most part in action movies and games, when people die they either die too fast to visibly recognize that they're dying, or accept death and fade away, usually while saying some final line or something. Even a hint that they recognize they are dying and don't want to changes the emotional response of the viewer/player entirely. Only a very few games are willing to go there and TLOU is one of them.

That said, I was really looking forward to the initial plan for the game which was for enemies to act scared for their life when they're still in combat too, possibly running away or even siding with the player. That was all scrapped though; in the end most players just want to kill waves of murderbots. Only the death animations remain as the legacy of that idea.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

For the most part in action movies and games, when people die they either die too fast to visibly recognize that they're dying, or accept death and fade away, usually while saying some final line or something. Even a hint that they recognize they are dying and don't want to changes the emotional response of the viewer/player entirely. Only a very few games are willing to go there and TLOU is one of them.

That said, I was really looking forward to the initial plan for the game which was for enemies to act scared for their life when they're still in combat too, possibly running away or even siding with the player. That was all scrapped though; in the end most players just want to kill waves of murderbots. Only the death animations remain as the legacy of that idea.

I'd say it's kind of a miracle that the game ever existed on PS3 architecture as it was. From what I've heard the all against all AI that they added in Left Behind is sort of broken on any difficulty but Grounded.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fun times

Yup, not ever playing this one, thanks for this warning.

Renoistic posted:

I'm encoding the writing and acting in Hellblade but it's pretty drat depressing.

Loving this autocorrect.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Midjack posted:

"Those tourists are fuckin done!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I'm encoding the writing and acting in Hellblade but it's pretty drat depressing. The Raven/Darkness fight was pretty fun, though! I'm a little more than halfway done and I missed a couple of runes in the first area. I'm guessing you'll have to start a new game if you want to go get them?

You'd have to replay the game, yes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Renoistic posted:

Yes but it saves your lorestones from previous runthroughs. You just get the achieve and a little non-plot essential cutscene near the end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Midjack posted:

Yeah, it's strange, like I definitely will say it's not for everyone and would probably be actively traumatic for some. But I loved The Last of Us multiplayer and I think a big part of it was because of how brutal it was. Not that I enjoyed seeing that stuff at all, but because it managed to leverage whatever identification I had with my avatar that went "I do not want that poo poo to happen to me," that it added to the tension already present in the game mechanics. Like, other games have Down But Not Out mechanics, but this is one of the games that made me go "OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo" every time I went down because I was legitimately freaked out. People have mentioned how horror games often aren't scary because dying becomes meaningless when it happens too often, and I'm in that same boat. But TLoU multiplayer is one of the few I games I can count where I was, for real Actually Scared.

In contrast Uncharted 4 multi felt relatively weightless (the mobility probably had a lot to do with it) and I played a couple rounds and went "Eh, it's all right I guess"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, it's strange, like I definitely will say it's not for everyone and would probably be actively traumatic for some. But I loved The Last of Us multiplayer and I think a big part of it was because of how brutal it was. Not that I enjoyed seeing that stuff at all, but because it managed to leverage whatever identification I had with my avatar that went "I do not want that poo poo to happen to me," that it added to the tension already present in the game mechanics. Like, other games have Down But Not Out mechanics, but this is one of the games that made me go "OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo" every time I went down because I was legitimately freaked out. People have mentioned how horror games often aren't scary because dying becomes meaningless when it happens too often, and I'm in that same boat. But TLoU multiplayer is one of the few I games I can count where I was, for real Actually Scared.

In contrast Uncharted 4 multi felt relatively weightless (the mobility probably had a lot to do with it) and I played a couple rounds and went "Eh, it's all right I guess"

Honestly, I gave it a good few months of play, but my overall feeling was that UC4 sort of ruined what was left of the good Uncharted multiplayer experience. It was already heading that direction in UC3 multi but there were still some redeeming qualities. TLoU Factions and UC2 multi have a lot more in common than many remember.

I'd actually be more offended at this point if Naughty Dog fucks up Factions in the sequel vs loving up the single player. Factions is a god damned masterpiece of multiplayer game design and you know what...

....Let me list all the things TLoU2 Factions doesn't need: Super abilities, team up attacks, MORE GUNS, MORE WEAPON CUSTOMIZATION, DLC costume skins, lootcrates, in-game currency, skill-trees, wacky victory poses, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill...must I go on?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

dude what I had no idea the touchpad on the controller worked as a "seek" bar for fast forward/rewinding easily :wow:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Honestly, I gave it a good few months of play, but my overall feeling was that UC4 sort of ruined what was left of the good Uncharted multiplayer experience. It was already heading that direction in UC3 multi but there were still some redeeming qualities. TLoU Factions and UC2 multi have a lot more in common than many remember.

I'd actually be more offended at this point if Naughty Dog fucks up Factions in the sequel vs loving up the single player. Factions is a god damned masterpiece of multiplayer game design and you know what...

....Let me list all the things TLoU2 Factions doesn't need: Super abilities, team up attacks, MORE GUNS, MORE WEAPON CUSTOMIZATION, DLC costume skins, lootcrates, in-game currency, skill-trees, wacky victory poses, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill...must I go on?

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/706612003247263744

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Except that those two animations were part of the original 10 taunts in UC2. It all used to be so quaint.

Everything beyond the 35 second mark in this video needs to gently caress off

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Give me all the guns and dances.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am enjoying Battle Chasers. Nice change of pace after the mediocre novel that is Pillars Of Eternity.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Played through Hob. That was quite pleasant. Looking at the trophy list it's all about speedrunning and whatnot from here, but meh. I think once the sense of exploration has worn off it's less for me.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Holy gently caress the server maintenance in Gran Turismo Sport is horrible. Between the beta and main game, there have been multiple occasions where the game becomes crippled by server maintenance that they choose to do at 1am et/10pm pt. I can’t even save my progress for the gold I got in the last license test I did and the last time this happened and I assumed it would save locally, I lost 2 golds. So now I just have to wait it out so I can save and quit for the night. Horrible design and planning on their part. Do your maintenance at 5am et, would make a ton more sense.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I regret buying Kyoei Toshi. It’s bad in the ways its predecessors were, with janky controls and low frame rate and primitive visuals and so on, but also is just utterly uninteresting apart from seeing giant monsters sometimes. There’s no survival aspect as such, it’s just a straight push A here so you can pass through a passage there kind of gameplay. I hope all the money I paid for it goes into making Disaster Report 4 better...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Turns out there's a bug in Hellblade where you need to crawl away from a monster, and the MC stands up and starts running. Turns out she doesn't always start running for some people. I've died eight times now. How the hell do you mess up a tightly scripted set piece that badly. I'm starting to get legit mad at this.

Edit: The game finally took pity on me. Seems you can trigger it by holding left after you get stuck.

Helaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Hellblade can be a bit janky. I didn’t have any problems myself, but at a friends she managed to drop the main character out of world and turn her sword invisible and other stuff.