Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Full Transcript is 4 posts down if you don't wanna watch the 10 minute video Alphadog

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/76sk7o/the_war_wizard_is_appearing_in_xanathars_guide_to/#bottom-comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

odinson posted:

Full Transcript is 4 posts down if you don't wanna watch the 10 minute video Alphadog

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/76sk7o/the_war_wizard_is_appearing_in_xanathars_guide_to/#bottom-comments

Thanks! I'd always prefer a transcript to a video or audio recording, it's much easier to re-read stuff than rewind it.

If they end up making the tank-wizard they seem to be implying, that's something that I'd be really interested in playing.

Unless I missed something else, the only things mentioned that aren't in the UA version are (improved?) counterspelling, and magically shielding your allies. Hope it turns out to be more interesting than that.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"The war mage gets to add their intelligence modifier to their initiative roles in addition to their dexterity modifier."

Tack the Alert feat onto that and a human war mage could be +11 to initiative rolls and unsurprisable starting at level 1. Pretty crazy with all the control a wizard can dish out. Even if the rest of your team is surprised and/or lower init than the monsters, you could just drop a fog cloud on things and insta-dismiss it when it's your friends turn.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Is there something recent that makes Bladesingers mainly an FR thing? I know there was an FR novel about them few years ago, but bladesingers have been in D&D since 2e's Complete Book Of Elves (maybe earlier, but I can't find anything) in '91 or '92, and they were a generic elf thing in that, and I'm pretty sure that carried into 3.x too.

From checking The complete book of elves was the only thing the Bladesinger that was setting neutral, everything after was FR.

Elves of Evermeet
Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves
Races of Faerûn
In 4e they made the Sword Mage in the Players Guide to Faerun which was sort of a spiritual successor with none of it's fluff. Later they brought in the actual Bladesinger in the fantastic Neverwinter Campaign Setting.
And most recently it was in the Sword Coast Adventures guide.

From looking it up these are all the appearances of the Bladesinger.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Looks like FR absorbed it way earlier than I thought, then.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Weapons of warning are only uncommon if you're playing in a game that allows any agency in items received.

"This magic weapon warns you of danger. While the weapon is on your person, you have advantage on initiative rolls. In addition, you and any of your companions within 30 feet of you can't be surprised, except when incapacitated by something other than nonmagical sleep. The weapon magically awakens you and your companions within range if any of you are sleeping naturally when combat begins."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also from checking the War Wizard is sort of an FR thing as well. As there is a famous group called the War Wizards of Cormyr. Though I don't know if they are presented as similar to the upcoming subclass as I don't know a ton about Cormyr.

odinson posted:

Weapons of warning are only uncommon if you're playing in a game that allows any agency in items received.

"This magic weapon warns you of danger. While the weapon is on your person, you have advantage on initiative rolls. In addition, you and any of your companions within 30 feet of you can't be surprised, except when incapacitated by something other than nonmagical sleep. The weapon magically awakens you and your companions within range if any of you are sleeping naturally when combat begins."

Though lots of weapons of warning only warn against specific types of creature.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Do you gain stat increases/feats every 4 character levels, or class levels?

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Lucky Guy posted:

Do you gain stat increases/feats every 4 character levels, or class levels?

class levels, and its not always every 4 levels for every class

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Never heard of that before M.envy. You sure you're not thinking of scrolls of protection?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also from checking the War Wizard is sort of an FR thing as well. As there is a famous group called the War Wizards of Cormyr. Though I don't know if they are presented as similar to the upcoming subclass as I don't know a ton about Cormyr.

"War wizard" is a super generic term, so that really feels like a bit of a stretch.

I mean, you wouldn't say "Knights are sort of an FR thing as well, as there is a famous group called the Knights of Ilmater, although I don't know if they are presented as similar to the subclass as I don't know a ton about Ilmater", right?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 21, 2017

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

odinson posted:

Never heard of that before M.envy. You sure you're not thinking of scrolls of protection?

probably thinking of the minor magical properties some weapons can have in the DMG, one of them is it glows and alerts the wielder when a certain creature type is near like Sting from lotr

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

AlphaDog posted:

Is there something recent that makes Bladesingers mainly an FR thing? I know there was an FR novel about them few years ago, but bladesingers have been in D&D since 2e's Complete Book Of Elves (maybe earlier, but I can't find anything) in '91 or '92, and they were a generic elf thing in that, and I'm pretty sure that carried into 3.x too.

I thought they sprang from the FR material as well, but I guess not? Unless it was a Dragon Mag or Greenwood thing that was edited down and added to the Complete Book?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FRINGE posted:

I thought they sprang from the FR material as well, but I guess not? Unless it was a Dragon Mag or Greenwood thing that was edited down and added to the Complete Book?

Maybe it was, I have no idea. My first experience with them was the Complete Book version, and I can't find anything earlier than that, which is why I asked.

Also, I thought they showed up in the 3.x DMG (they don't) and my memory was wrong about 4th ed, too. Probably because they're stuck in my mind as the only version I ever played, which was the generic Complete one.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They couldn't have reprinted the bladesinger archetype so I don't have to look at SCAG every time? I get that space is limited but come on...

Hey, they needed space for those 17 pages of tables of random names.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

"War wizard" is a super generic term, so that really feels like a bit of a stretch.

I mean, you wouldn't say "Knights are sort of an FR thing as well, as there is a famous group called the Knights of Ilmater, although I don't know if they are presented as similar to the subclass as I don't know a ton about Ilmater", right?

War Wizard is just a more unique title but yeah that makes sense.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

From checking The complete book of elves was the only thing the Bladesinger that was setting neutral, everything after was FR.

Elves of Evermeet
Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves
Races of Faerûn
In 4e they made the Sword Mage in the Players Guide to Faerun which was sort of a spiritual successor with none of it's fluff. Later they brought in the actual Bladesinger in the fantastic Neverwinter Campaign Setting.
And most recently it was in the Sword Coast Adventures guide.

From looking it up these are all the appearances of the Bladesinger.

That's not true. The bladesinger was originally updated for 3e in Tome and Blood and then to 3.5 in Complete Arcane. It was originally setting-agnostic, and then became folded into the Realms by popularity in 2e. There was also a bladesinger novel for the 3e Realms.

edit: The War Wizards of Cormyr are prominent and complimentary to the Purple Dragons; it's intended for sure.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 21, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Proud Rat Mom posted:

probably thinking of the minor magical properties some weapons can have in the DMG, one of them is it glows and alerts the wielder when a certain creature type is near like Sting from lotr

Yeah this is correct I was thinking of the wrong thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

That's not true. The bladesinger was originally updated for 3e in Tome and Blood and then to 3.5 in Complete Arcane. It was originally setting-agnostic, and then became folded into the Realms by popularity in 2e. There was also a bladesinger novel for the 3e Realms.

Thanks. I was just going by what I looked up and those two books were never mentioned on the places I checked.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

I looked up Tome and Blood, that's defintely what I was thinking about with non-FR bladesingers in 3.x. No idea why I thought it was the DMG.

Looking at a table of contents for Complete Arcane doesn't show the bladesinger though, you sure it got an update?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

I looked up Tome and Blood, that's defintely what I was thinking about with non-FR bladesingers in 3.x.

Looking at a table of contents for Complete Arcane doesn't show the bladesinger though.

My bad, it was Complete Warrior. I knew it was one of the first run of Complete books.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

My bad, it was Complete Warrior. I knew it was one of the first run of Complete books.

No problem, they were generic there too, right? When did they get the FR treatment? I guess if anyone here would know off the top of their head it'd be you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

No problem, they were generic there too, right? When did they get the FR treatment? I guess if anyone here would know off the top of their head it'd be you.

For once, MonsterEnvy was right. They were first included in a Realms product in Elves of Evermeet (2e), and they are Colin McComb's creation for the generic Complete Book of Elves (2e). The first FR rules treatment was in Races of Faerun (3e.)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Bladesinger always seemed extremely strong to me but fair enough.

Their level 2 ability is an excellent defensive buff but that's pretty much all they get - Song of Defense is a poor use of spell slots, while Extra Attack and INT to damage are just plain garbage.

It's really just a very poorly designed archetype, since it's supposed to be a gish, but the class abilities are little more than a trap to lure you into trying it for the schadenfreude. Why in the gently caress would you swing in melee as a Wizard? Because you can make two attacks? You're a loving Wizard! d6 HP, INT primary, no Fighting Styles, a Wizard! It's idiotic, and even more baffling because this is in the same splat that introduced Green-Flame Blade and Booming Blade.

Now, if the archetype gave you +1 HP per level, and replaced Extra Attack for War Magic, then it'd be decent as a gish route. You know? Hit with your cantrip, get a Bonus Action attack, *bam* you've got competitive scaling damage on a high AC chassis that's not too scrawny either, that attacks with actual sword magic, while keeping your full Wizard casting for utility or whatever else you need in a pinch. Kind of like how Clerics work as off-tank, off-melee full casters.

But as it stands? You take it if you're really worried about taking hits and then play it like a normal Wizwong that stays the hell away from the front lines, or as a 2 level wonder dip for DEX-based Eldritch Knights, who do get War Magic and Fighting Styles and d10 hit and all those nice things that make you want to get in there and swing a pointy stick.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The extra attack part is just fluff, I think int bonus to AC and concentration checks is pretty strong by itself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

Their level 2 ability is an excellent defensive buff but that's pretty much all they get - Song of Defense is a poor use of spell slots, while Extra Attack and INT to damage are just plain garbage.

It's really just a very poorly designed archetype, since it's supposed to be a gish, but the class abilities are little more than a trap to lure you into trying it for the schadenfreude. Why in the gently caress would you swing in melee as a Wizard? Because you can make two attacks? You're a loving Wizard! d6 HP, INT primary, no Fighting Styles, a Wizard! It's idiotic, and even more baffling because this is in the same splat that introduced Green-Flame Blade and Booming Blade.

Now, if the archetype gave you +1 HP per level, and replaced Extra Attack for War Magic, then it'd be decent as a gish route. You know? Hit with your cantrip, get a Bonus Action attack, *bam* you've got competitive scaling damage on a high AC chassis that's not too scrawny either, that attacks with actual sword magic, while keeping your full Wizard casting for utility or whatever else you need in a pinch. Kind of like how Clerics work as off-tank, off-melee full casters.

But as it stands? You take it if you're really worried about taking hits and then play it like a normal Wizwong that stays the hell away from the front lines, or as a 2 level wonder dip for DEX-based Eldritch Knights, who do get War Magic and Fighting Styles and d10 hit and all those nice things that make you want to get in there and swing a pointy stick.
At that point though you have a wizard who's almost as good at fightering as a fighter and also every bit as good at wizarding as a wizard. The base wizard chassis is so strong that realistically there's no way to dump enough fighter into it that it's both good at fighting and also not just better than a fighter in every possible way. If they wanted a gish they should have made a gish class, but they didn't because ???

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Fighter/mages are never really going to work if it’s got full wizard casting. If you want to be a magic melee guy go Moon Druid, war/tempest cleric, Valor bard or paladin.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Moon druids kick rear end, but I dunno. I guess that turning yourself into a self-repairing bear is technically "magic", but it's not what I picture when I picture "magic melee guy".

If I wanted to gish I'd probably reskin Paladin. Smites already get it most of the way there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Fighter/mages are never really going to work if it’s got full wizard casting. If you want to be a magic melee guy go Moon Druid, war/tempest cleric, Valor bard or paladin.
Yeah I meant if they wanted to put a gish in the game they should have done up a new class, not just tacked an archetype on the wizard. Half casting progression, bunch of useful stuff in the base, and then have Teleporting Gish/Elemental Gish etc as archetypes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CJ posted:

Yeah i was just wondering if i'd be able to buy items or something to make up the +1 instead. It seems weird to me that the literal angel people would make mechanically bad Paladins though. I might not be able to hit anything but at least i'll be able to go human torch on things. :unsmith:
It is weird and dumb welcome to D&D. Death to ability scores.

You seem to be going 14 str 15 con 12 cha before modifiers. I'd switch that to 15 str 13(14) con and 14 (16) cha. Lot of paladin stuff keys off cha as does a rakeload of skills, you'll get more use out of it.

Take bless at level 2, spend your first round powering up like goku and feeding two of your party members attack buffs. Bit boring but they will love you for it.

That said, Scourge Aasimar doesn't mean evil, it also has aasimar infected by necrotic/demonic energies as a child as an origin. Backstory of some kind of big bad attacks your village or whatever, you catch magic sickness and oh no palette swap. Then play this chill, completely not grimdark dude because yeah you've got smoke for eyes and skelewings but that's not all you are, y'know? You don't let that, like, define you.

(death to ability scores)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 21, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So after futzing around with my build I've finally arrived at what I want. A whip Pally/Sorcerer can do this at 5th level as a human:

(Twinned) Booming Blade 1d8
Whip attack 1d4 +2 (Dueling) +3 (Dex)
Smite 2d8 Using 1st level spell slot
(On Enemy Movement) 1d8

(2nd Booming Blade on a second target) 1d8
Whip attack 1d4 +2 (Dueling) +3 (Dex)
Smite 2d8 Using 1st level spell slot
(On Enemy Movement) 1d8

Average damage for two 1st level spell slots and 1 metamagic: 27 (Smite + Booming Blade damage) + 15 (whip) = 42

Your AC can also be either 16 or 18 (with a dex build) depending on whether your GM rules you need to have your other hand free or can be using a shield and still cast booming blade. You don't need to wear any armor at all.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm sorry isn't dueling style +2 to hit? Not +2 to damage?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Krinkle posted:

You're thinking of the archery style.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Actually I hosed up, level 5 gets you 2d8 on movement from booming blade so add 9 to that average damage for 51 average.

Krinkle posted:

Nope, +2 to damage.

quote:

Dueling
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Actually I hosed up, level 5 gets you 2d8 on movement from booming blade so add 9 to that average damage for 51 average.

Nope, +2 to damage.

Could you post your level 1 stats? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get 16 AC going Sorceror -> Paladin -> Sorceror and not wearing armor.

Edit: I made it work with Variant Human, 13 Str, 15 Dex, 12 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, and 15 Cha. Then put one point each in Dex and Cha, and of course take the Spell Sniper feat. That gets you 15 AC with a shield, and 18 with shield + mage armor. That seems like it works fine! You could optionally also just throw some half plate on later to get to 19 AC.

Edit: It's also pretty clear that you won't need War Caster to use Booming Blade, because the spell has no somatic components and the material component is the weapon you make the attack with. War Caster is only necessary when you need to use one of your hands to grab materials and perform somatic components (which is most other spells).

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 21, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nickoten posted:

Could you post your level 1 stats? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get 16 AC going Sorceror -> Paladin -> Sorceror and not wearing armor.

Variant Human:
27 point buy
13/15/14/9/8/13

Add 1 each to Dex and Cha for variant

13/16/14/9/8/14

So:
+1/+3/+2/-1/-1/+2

Draconic Bloodline gives base 13 AC + dex bonus

so 13+3=16.

If you are allowed to use a shield +2 to 18(though I'd say probably not given how much damage you can dish out here, you should be forced to take warcaster)

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Variant Human:
27 point buy
13/15/14/9/8/13

Add 1 each to Dex and Cha for variant

13/16/14/9/8/14

So:
+1/+3/+2/-1/-1/+2

Draconic Bloodline gives base 13 AC + dex bonus

so 13+3=16.

If you are allowed to use a shield +2 to 18(though I'd say probably not given how much damage you can dish out here, you should be forced to take warcaster)

Ah, I forgot Draconic Bloodline gives you the equivalent of mage armor. Also you'll be fine with the shield by RAW.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nickoten posted:

Ah, I forgot Draconic Bloodline gives you the equivalent of mage armor. Also you'll be fine with the shield by RAW.

HP obviously sucks with this build given that you're leveling a sorcerer with its 1d6 hit die. Draconic Bloodline helps a bit with it's +1 to that, giving you an average gain of only 1hp less than a pure paladin.

You might want to take the tough feat at level 4 in sorcerer instead of a stat boost to bring you up to 1d6+3 for each level, making the average gain per level 7hp + con bonus. Which would be better than the pure paladin (though obviously if a pure paladin took "tough" he'd do better still) You can still put it off however and if you're ever going to pump up Con with your stat boost choose tough instead for a much bigger boost.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

HP obviously sucks with this build given that you're leveling a sorcerer with its 1d6 hit die. Draconic Bloodline helps a bit with it's +1 to that, giving you an average gain of only 1hp less than a pure paladin.

You might want to take the tough feat at level 4 in sorcerer instead of a stat boost to bring you up to 1d6+3 for each level, making the average gain per level 7hp + con bonus. Which would be better than the pure paladin (though obviously if a pure paladin took "tough" he'd do better still)

Another option is to take the Shield spell and invest in the mobile feat. Then you have more move speed to run away, even if someone closes the distance and gets in your face. For the attacks they do get on you, you have Shield.

Edit: You'll probably also want to get your Charisma up in the end, because eventually you'll want your spell slots for stuff besides damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nickoten posted:

Another option is to take the Shield spell and invest in the mobile feat. Then you have more move speed to run away, even if someone closes the distance and gets in your face. For the attacks they do get on you, you have Shield.

Edit: You'll probably also want to get your Charisma up in the end, because eventually you'll want your spell slots for stuff besides damage.

I think taking Expeditious retreat might be better. 10 minute spell which basically doubles your movement since you wouldn't otherwise be using your bonus action.