Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

Syrcus needs a lower item sync badly.

No, not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ActionZero posted:

I want you all to imagine being a Bard when Straighter Shot procs, you hit Barrage and go to fire off Refulgent Arrow and then the boss goes away.

Straighter Shot never procs for me until after I use Barrage :negative:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mordiceius posted:

Squadron Stone Vigil is kind of nuts. 400k xp every 8 minutes. Took me from 42 to 49 in about an hour.

Guess I'll uh..put piercing debuff on this guy and then go stand in a corner or something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OneDeadman posted:

My personal bane of existence as a BLM is hard casting flare and watching as my target dies right before I finish casting flare. :negative:

It should at least set the corpses on fire.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Or make them explode...

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We (6 PCD members and two randos) got to the bottom of the hidden canals on our first try!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SonicRulez posted:

Is there any worse feeling than trying to figure out when to Ten Chi Jin on a new boss and getting it wrong every single time?

Party healer dies when the boss has ~8% health left, but you hit LB2 and fire it off as a melee.

Right as the boss throws an AOE under you, that explodes and kills you right before the limit break actually fires off.

Also, while it didn't do any damage, it did eat the limit break meter so the other DPS can't fire one off to save the day.

gently caress you charibert

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
drat it. I got the ghost candelabra and the pumpkin tower but now I'm thinking I need like four of each now and getting an apartment was a bad idea...

slev
Apr 6, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Is there any worse feeling than trying to figure out when to Ten Chi Jin on a new boss and getting it wrong every single time?

That ability just feels bad to use regardless

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

When you press Trick Attack the very instant the boss spins around to blow up somebody that isn't the tank. And then it *keeps happening*.

Fister Roboto posted:

No, not really.

Poor Glasya hasn't had a chance to do his signature mechanic in three years, and Scylla in almost as long.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

We (6 PCD members and two randos) got to the bottom of the hidden canals on our first try!

I hate you. :(

I was talking to one dude that had been to the bottom 3 times in the first week. Meanwhile, I've been there 10 time now and never past room 4.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SirPhoebos posted:

very pleased that Rabanaste concludes with dunking on Argas

rude

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Thundarr posted:

When you press Trick Attack the very instant the boss spins around to blow up somebody that isn't the tank. And then it *keeps happening*.

Poor Glasya hasn't had a chance to do his signature mechanic in three years, and Scylla in almost as long.

I honestly can't remember the last time I've used Trick Attack as a Ninja because that happens so often.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

slev posted:

That ability just feels bad to use regardless

It made me stop playing ninja

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why is it so hard to find Party Finder parties for Heavensward's EX fights that don't disband? :negative:

I finally learned Nidhogg, but everyone disbands due to the newbies that join. And I still haven't done Sephirot or Sophia, because those are always put up as Duty Complete. I found a practice party for Sephirot today and they disbanded after the first wipe.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Man, whose bright idea was it to require fishing retainers to have just as much Gathering as miner/botanist need to get rare stuff from quick ventures. I would pretty much have to outfit my fisher entirely with yellow scrip gear to get it that high while the others are in mostly NQ crafted gear with a few melds.

The magic number appears to be somewhere between 930 and 940 Gathering, by the way. On his first trip out, my botanist stole somebody's mogwall.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Party healer dies when the boss has ~8% health left, but you hit LB2 and fire it off as a melee.

Right as the boss throws an AOE under you, that explodes and kills you right before the limit break actually fires off.

Also, while it didn't do any damage, it did eat the limit break meter so the other DPS can't fire one off to save the day.

gently caress you charibert

All of the things said are bad, but this made me shed a full tear. Charibert is the worst.

Thundarr posted:

Yeah I just started popping the thing that ignores directionals before 90% of Trick Attacks now. Especially in stuff like 24 mans where the 3 tanks might decide to circlejerk for the entire fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Healing the Vault sounds like a nightmare. Sickness must be purged.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
It's when things start being fun instead of fall-asleep boring. It's not actually significantly worse than other HW or SB dungeons, it's just such a sharp contrast to the soggy slogs that are ARR dungeons.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SonicRulez posted:

All of the things said are bad, but this made me shed a full tear. Charibert is the worst.

I actually really like that fight, probably the most intense boss in a 4-person dungeon prior to Stormblood. Certainly the most quotable. YOU DISGUST ME, SER CHARIBERT IS THE BEST AND MOST HANDSOME MEMBER OF THE HEAVENS WARD

DRK quest spoiler: Zephirin is the actual worst and finally getting to beat the ever-loving poo poo out of him in the 70 DRK quest was honest-to-god cathartic.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

SonicRulez posted:

I get frustrated when something dies before I can Verflare or Verholy and there's nothing else to use it on.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

This was a whole lot less painful to do than the Zodiac weapon, but Umbrites can gently caress right off with that 119/120 bullshit. Think I prefer the Longinus Zeta over it still but I'm expecting to mulch this thing for the next relic anyway

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bolow posted:

I'm expecting to mulch this thing for the next relic anyway

I have some bad news for you.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bolow posted:

I'm expecting to mulch this thing for the next relic anyway
Apparently there won't be a trade-in this time, for better or worse.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I have some bad news for you.

Oh well the questline was actually kind of interesting at least

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Bolow posted:

This was a whole lot less painful to do than the Zodiac weapon, but Umbrites can gently caress right off with that 119/120 bullshit. Think I prefer the Longinus Zeta over it still but I'm expecting to mulch this thing for the next relic anyway

no mulching completed anima weapons to skip the first step of the next relic. they said the formula for relic weapons is changing significantly, that's why it was delayed.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Reiterpallasch posted:

literally everything about judgement bolt in shinryu's first phase

That fight is a real "gently caress you" to healers. There's never really a pause in the slurry of AoE damage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

Dunno about tienshinhan or whatever but using LOTD right before the boss jumps loving blows and it blew even worse before the patch

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Okay, gently caress it, I give up. I have no idea how the gently caress crafting works in this game. It is such obtuse, newbie-unfriendly bullshit. Is there any tutorial anywhere for complete idiots about how to do anything besides brute forcing a recipe by being thirty levels over it? And I don't just mean a crafting macro, since that doesn't do anything to teach me how you're supposed to make any progress in this system before running out of everything. I just want to do some turnins to M'naago. :psyduck:

Asimo fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 21, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Asimo posted:

Okay, gently caress it, I give up. I have no idea how the gently caress crafting works in this game. It is such obtuse, newbie-unfriendly bullshit. Is there any tutorial anywhere for complete idiots about how to do anything besides brute forcing a recipe by being thirty levels over it? And I don't just mean a crafting macro, since that doesn't do anything to teach me how you're supposed to make any progress in this system before running out of everything. I just want to do some turnins to M'naago. :psyduck:

i assume everyone just uses macros

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Asimo posted:

Use your quality abilities to increase quality and your progress abilities to increase progress. It's really not that complicated. What are you having trouble with?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Asimo posted:

Apparently there won't be a trade-in this time, for better or worse.

I still want to get it before starting the new one, see if the text mentions it. Also in case there's a kettle.

Speaking of, anyone for A9S farming tomorrow?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sade posted:

no mulching completed anima weapons to skip the first step of the next relic. they said the formula for relic weapons is changing significantly, that's why it was delayed.

My deep hope is simply that the new system isn't an unforgiving slog like the UnID stuff or the books or Umbrite. All of those sucked even after being nerfed. The best steps are the ones that just ask you to log in and do roulettes and you'll still get there at a decent pace, but you can also go full poopsock if you want to be there NOW.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Obligatum VII posted:

That fight is a real "gently caress you" to healers. There's never really a pause in the slurry of AoE damage.

I recently discovered that the Reiryu adds' tethers do more than decide "oh this guy died, I'm going to attack immediately", they actually block healing on the tethered player. The tethers will default to the DPS, but if any of them is dead, any spares will go on random players. Bad things happen if they tether a tank.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Use your quality abilities to increase quality and your progress abilities to increase progress. It's really not that complicated. What are you having trouble with?
Running out of durability, CP, or both before finishing the process or getting the requisite collectability. I mean I know gear's likely a factor, I'm working from 60 here with adept's poo poo and whatever vendor crap I could find, but I had similar trouble with the harder/starred Zhloe turnins during heavensward too. But even if it is gear I'm not sure where to go from there since I sure can't craft anything better.

SonicRulez posted:

My deep hope is simply that the new system isn't an unforgiving slog like the UnID stuff or the books or Umbrite. All of those sucked even after being nerfed. The best steps are the ones that just ask you to log in and do roulettes and you'll still get there at a decent pace, but you can also go full poopsock if you want to be there NOW.
It's supposed to involve Eureka, that pending replacement for the Diadem, so I wouldn't hold your breath about it not being a slog. :shepicide:

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Asimo posted:

Play around with the simulator: http://ffxiv-beta.lokyst.net.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 21, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Asimo posted:

Running out of durability, CP, or both before finishing the process or getting the requisite collectability. I mean I know gear's likely a factor, I'm working from 60 here with adept's poo poo and whatever vendor crap I could find, but I had similar trouble with the harder/starred Zhloe turnins during heavensward too. But even if it is gear I'm not sure where to go from there since I sure can't craft anything better.

It's supposed to involve Eureka, that pending replacement for the Diadem, so I wouldn't hold your breath about it not being a slog. :shepicide:

CP is by far the most important stat for crafting, the other two will only give you marginal returns after the minimum required stats. Stack as much of it as you can and use abilities that restore it (tricks of the trade and comfort zone). From there it's just a matter of using the most efficient abilities for increasing quality, restoring durability, and increasing progress. At level 60 that's mainly going to be hasty touch for quality, master's mend II for durability, and rapid synthesis or careful synthesis II for progress.

If you want you can post your stats and what you're trying to make, and I can come up with a method to use and explain the thought process behind it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

jalapeno_dude posted:

Play around with the simulator: ffxiv-beta.lokyst.net.
Oh! Thanks.

Fister Roboto posted:

If you want you can post your stats and what you're trying to make, and I can come up with a method to use and explain the thought process behind it.
I'll poke around with the simulator first and see what it does with recipes I had issues with, since seeing something done right can help me figure out where I was loving up. If I still have issues I'll check back in though.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Asimo posted:

Oh! Thanks.

I'll poke around with the simulator first and see what it does with recipes I had issues with, since seeing something done right can help me figure out where I was loving up. If I still have issues I'll check back in though.

I recommend putting in a rotation you're using/think is the best you can do, then having the simulator start with that. If/when it comes up with something better than that take a look and try to understand why it's better, then see if you can generalize from there. IMO you get better intuition that way than just having the simulator start from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Asimo posted:

If you're just looking for a primer of the different values (durability, progress, quality, condition) that you need to keep track of when crafting, that hasn't changed since 2.0. Just check Youtube for "FFXIV how to craft" or something. Even the information at https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Crafting#Crafting_Basics still applies.

If you're asking about how you should determine what abilities you should use, that's a harder question. For instance, as a general principle durability restoration abilities that use more CP tend to be more efficient than those that use less CP, but are less versatile as a result. With few exceptions, the system shies away from having abilities that are flat out better than others. For instance, Masters Mend I (92CP, restores 30 Durability) vs Master's Mend II (160CP, restores 60 Durability). Sure, you would always prefer to use MMII if you were in a vacuum, but with durability limits and a limited CP pool it's harder to get the full value from it.

Quality increasing actions (Touches) actually tend to be the opposite case, just because durability consumption and success chances are complicating factors. Maybe it's confusing when it's written down like that but it's pretty intuitive when you do it for a while.

In any case, you've got the right idea by not using macros right off the bat. It's better to learn what your options are during crafts. When I'm starting a new, non-trivial craft the first thing I do is try to see how efficiently I can complete the craft, without even worrying about quality. Then I can workshop different quality-increasing rotations while still knowing what I need to conserve to complete the craft. Try to always make sure the chance at completing a craft is guaranteed. Relying on 90% swings unaided for craft completion is garbage (ie make sure you get WVR's Careful Synthesis as a cross-class skill first and foremost).

One of the most impressive parts of the crafting system is that there are very few dead abilities although there are CP/recipe difficulty break points when some abilities really come into their own (and conversely, when some abilities fall off in usefulness). If you don't want to blow up crafts or find that it's a hassle using the in-game crafting to learn, http://ffxiv-beta.lokyst.net/#/simulator is a simulator that's robust and 99.999% accurate in telling you expected results of your rotations.

edit: oh i guess all that information was too basic for you, welp :v: