Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I hate doing this while Jeb! is doing his thing, but here goes.

Trip report: DS9 season 7, episode 6 "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River"

Had to add an Oxford comma in there; its absence was triggering me. I was fairly impressed with the Jem'Hadar shooting up the comet fragments. For being 20 years old it actually holds up I think. Good take on Weyoun too - the clone wasn't defective, I don't think, he just made a calculation based on his learning of the plague affecting the Founders. He discovered the Zeroth Law of Vortaics.

Episode 7 "Once More Unto the Breach"

Before I start, I want to make it clear that I would be a terrible Klingon, probably like Alexander at best. But man, I get them, there is something about these guys that just stirs the heart, with their legendary heroes and awesome deeds of valor. A fitting end for Kor the warrior.

"Once More" is one of those really good episodes that doesn't get mentioned a lot. Worf may not get a lot to do but all the other starring Klingons - Martok, Kor, the old guy - are fantastic and the ending is perfect. Even if you don't know who Kor is before that episode does everything it needs to do to make sure you get him at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Powerful image of the dyson sphere's gate pulling them in

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hell yes

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:unsmith:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Slowly falling into a star would be a terrifying way to die

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

This is it. I want the next Trek series to be about the science team they send to investigate the Ringworld Dyson sphere.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Scotty's plan is amazing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They were able to effortlessly leave low orbit of the star but I thought they couldn't do that before

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"The Enterprise is in good hands"

Whew

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Fun fact: that lake has more surface area than Earth. Like, all of Earth.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Flying through season 5 of TNG,

Data had a kid trying to emulate his mannerisms.:allears:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh dear god the next episode is loving horrifying

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lol this advice he's giving to Geordi about how to impress your boss by lying

Management of expectations is absolutely a thing in IT

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Management of expectations is absolutely a thing in IT

This, my job practically revolves around it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

8one6 posted:

Fun fact: that lake has more surface area than Earth. Like, all of Earth.
Would it? I have no idea how deep in they get. We can see visible "city blocks" there and if we assume the creators were approximately human in their city scapes, surely that wouldn't be much more than, oh, Tokyo?

All of Tokyo.

And the bay out to Chiba City. And that would just be the neighborhood around the gate.

Star Trek Online did some fun stuff with this. Probably the peak of the game.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Watching Star Trek Discovery is kind of miserable and it kind of made me really sad.

I finally watched the Orville. I'm not sad anymore. Thank God this came out when it did. Star Trek is finally back. It's just called something different. And sometimes they make jokes about dogs licking their balls. I can appreciate that.

:)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bennyfactor posted:

I checked in the last 20 pages or so and didn't find it, but does anybody have that gif of Odo showing Garak how he pretends to drink coffee?

I got you fam

Garak's nod is the piece de resistance

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gently caress I love everyone in DS9 so much. Even bad episodes have those little character moments that are great.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/921641893070561281

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Would it? I have no idea how deep in they get. We can see visible "city blocks" there and if we assume the creators were approximately human in their city scapes, surely that wouldn't be much more than, oh, Tokyo?

All of Tokyo.

And the bay out to Chiba City. And that would just be the neighborhood around the gate.

Star Trek Online did some fun stuff with this. Probably the peak of the game.

Well you can see the curvature. Really, any perspective where you can see individual features should look flat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Well you can see the curvature. Really, any perspective where you can see individual features should look flat.

What's the opposite of a fish eye lens?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tunicate posted:

A rectilinear lens.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

It goes barrel (fisheye/wide angle lens) - no distortion (rectilinear lens) - pincushion (telephoto)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 21, 2017

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Hot take: I didn't like Relics.

I get that they were finally comfortable with acknowledging TOS, beyond that little passing-the-torch moment in the pilot, but I think the episode could have been better without Scotty's character showing up: it's like they smooshed two separate episodes' 'Plot A' together, just so that this episode could have a clear A-plot and B-plot.

Also Geordi is a dick! I think they were going for 'engineers are fussy manbabies who are over-protective of their :techno: systems' but, like the Leah Brahms episodes, it's played completely straight. Welcome to the future, look at all the cool stuff we have NO DON'T TOUCH THAT YOU'LL BREAK IT, wait why are you depressed and drunk on the Holodeck Scotty

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Rewatching some early DS9; I'd forgotten how much Bareil sounds like a serial killer.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nessus posted:

I feel like you could extrapolate the size of that lake from the size of the Enterprise there and it wouldn't even come to that.

The ship's supposed to be what, a kilometre long at most? That lake is barely 50km wide, unless those roads are deceptively not-parallel

Basically they hosed the perspective big time, just like that pocket-size planet in Voyager's intro

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

Watching Star Trek Discovery is kind of miserable and it kind of made me really sad.

I finally watched the Orville. I'm not sad anymore. Thank God this came out when it did. Star Trek is finally back. It's just called something different. And sometimes they make jokes about dogs licking their balls. I can appreciate that.

:)

I think a few posters at least have started calling it Star Trek: The Orville. And they're not wrong.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I feel like you could extrapolate the size of that lake from the size of the Enterprise there and it wouldn't even come to that.

You can extrapolate from the gate as well. The gate's probably no more than 10km wide based on the size of the Enterprise as it passes through.

quote:

Basically they hosed the perspective big time, just like that pocket-size planet in Voyager's intro

Let's be honest, that's not exactly uncommon for sci-fi.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Let's be honest, that's not exactly uncommon for sci-fi.

Or remotely implausible in Trek. It probably was an accident, though.

(I hope someone got fired for that blunder)

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

WampaLord posted:

I got you fam

Garak's nod is the piece de resistance

God that nod is perfect, it's a blend of being genuinely impressed and also having no idea what to do with the information he's just learned.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
So, Sub Rosa is next on my TNG rewatch. I've never seen it before, I have no idea what it's about, but I've seen it mentioned frequently in lists of worst episodes and the subject of many a disparaging remark.

What is the best way for someone to enjoy watching this episode for the first time? Should I be drunk?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

So, Sub Rosa is next on my TNG rewatch. I've never seen it before, I have no idea what it's about, but I've seen it mentioned frequently in lists of worst episodes and the subject of many a disparaging remark.

What is the best way for someone to enjoy watching this episode for the first time? Should I be drunk?

It's super weird and bad, but not boring.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Ugh. I joined a facebook group called The Babel Conference. It's a listener's group for the Trek.fm series of podcasts. I joined it because I was really enjoying Meta Treks, a philosophy podcast framed in Star Trek.

The Babel Conference is a loving echo chamber of "no criticism allowed," especially with regards to Discovery. It's a particularly bad example of "if you don't like it you're not a real fan."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Admiral Bosch posted:

Ugh. I joined a facebook group called The Babel Conference. It's a listener's group for the Trek.fm series of podcasts. I joined it because I was really enjoying Meta Treks, a philosophy podcast framed in Star Trek.

The Babel Conference is a loving echo chamber of "no criticism allowed," especially with regards to Discovery. It's a particularly bad example of "if you don't like it you're not a real fan."
So the opposite of the Discovery thread here

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I finished watching all of Enterprise a few weeks ago, and as of this morning I'm through the first four seasons of Voyager. VOY is a much better series in every respect, and I'm not sure why it gets so much hate. It's not TNG, but good luck topping that. The show runners are clearly improving the show season by season, and while it's still flawed, I'm really enjoying it.

And was it my imagination, or was the removal of Kes from the show really, really sudden? Like, it was a Poochy-level my-planet-needs-me event.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lincoln posted:

And was it my imagination, or was the removal of Kes from the show really, really sudden? Like, it was a Poochy-level my-planet-needs-me event.

They needed to dump a cast member to bring in Seven. It was going to be Kim via the 8472 attack in Scorpion Part II, but between the filming of Scorpion I and II he made the People 50 Hottest Bachelors Of Hollywood list so they fired Kes instead.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
They wanted to get rid of Garret Wang but he ended up on some sexiest people's list.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm surprised they didn't think of replacing Chakotay, wasn't his actor completely done with the show after the first season anyway?

Kill him off, promote Paris or Torres to Commander, bring in Seven, boom, two birds with one stone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lincoln posted:

I finished watching all of Enterprise a few weeks ago, and as of this morning I'm through the first four seasons of Voyager. VOY is a much better series in every respect, and I'm not sure why it gets so much hate. It's not TNG, but good luck topping that. The show runners are clearly improving the show season by season, and while it's still flawed, I'm really enjoying it.

Voyager is off-brand diet TNG that doesn’t do anything different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WampaLord posted:

I'm surprised they didn't think of replacing Chakotay, wasn't his actor completely done with the show after the first season anyway?

Kill him off, promote Paris or Torres to Commander, bring in Seven, boom, two birds with one stone.

They were oddly terrified of getting rid of Chakotay honestly, they didn't even do it when Beltran was trying to get fired.