Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well technically the best part of capitalism is the way that a free market can self-determine priorities or be pushed naturally towards more efficient paths without any micromanagement needed from the top.

But the problem with that is the way that the accumulation of wealth always pushes free markets towards being less free; companies buy eachother to become oligopolies and monopolies, wealthy individuals become powerful enough on their own to cut deals or sabotage the competition, companies get patents or whatever so they can keep a monopoly on innovative techniques/products. Also there's some basic human instinct towards cooperation, which can push industries into becoming cartels.

It always feels weird to think of capitalism as a coherent system, because nobody really planned it, it was just a weird sort of equilibrium that was developed as wealth started to accumulate in the hands of people who were outside the more traditional governmental power structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

IRQ posted:

How about not allow a tiny minority of people have all the wealth?

And who determines what the cutoff is, how much to take, and how much to distribute to whoever is determined to be poor?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

And who determines what the cutoff is, how much to take, and how much to distribute to whoever is determined to be poor?

Pretty sure that if we took every over 40 white business owner and everyone with a net worth over 1b into an industrial furnace, you could watch the whole world get better overnight. And that's before distributing their assets and shuttering tax shelters.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Pretty sure that if we took every over 40 white business owner and everyone with a net worth over 1b into an industrial furnace, you could watch the whole world get better overnight. And that's before distributing their assets and shuttering tax shelters.

B.....b......b.......but what about when I'M a billionaire?!?!?!

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is something stupid people say.

It's not difficult to imagine business owners who are actually good. They exist. Your type of rhetoric leads to secret police and people in jail because they read a book or something.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CelestialScribe posted:

It's not difficult to imagine business owners who are actually good. They exist. Your type of rhetoric leads to secret police and people in jail because they read a book or something.

There are good apples in a vat of bad apples you say?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

There are good apples in a vat of bad apples you say?

I think that was supposed to be an unironic version of this?

https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/463132110006784000

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Anybody that makes more than $1,000 an hour gets cut the gently caress off, how about that? That's being pretty loving generous.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well technically the best part of capitalism is the way that a free market can self-determine priorities or be pushed naturally towards more efficient paths without any micromanagement needed from the top.

But the problem with that is the way that the accumulation of wealth always pushes free markets towards being less free; companies buy eachother to become oligopolies and monopolies, wealthy individuals become powerful enough on their own to cut deals or sabotage the competition, companies get patents or whatever so they can keep a monopoly on innovative techniques/products. Also there's some basic human instinct towards cooperation, which can push industries into becoming cartels.

It always feels weird to think of capitalism as a coherent system, because nobody really planned it, it was just a weird sort of equilibrium that was developed as wealth started to accumulate in the hands of people who were outside the more traditional governmental power structures.

This is why I find it so weird that people have become convinced that government should be "pro-business". The whole point of democratic government is to allow the masses to act as a moderating influence over powerful individuals. A government that serves the interests of the rich is fundamentally the same as a monarchy.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, capitalism and feudalism aren't mutually exclusive, although corporate masters skimp too much on the feudal obligations to serfs/vassals for the comparison to be truely apt.

Give it five years.

http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-building-employee-housing-silicon-valley-headquarters-2017-7

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Company Scrip for the 21st century. Amazing

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

IRQ posted:

B.....b......b.......but what about when I'M a billionaire?!?!?!

:getin:

CelestialScribe posted:

Actually, that would be fascism. Miles away from what we’re talking about! This is simply about the laborer seizing what has always been rightfully theirs.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

pwn posted:

Company Scrip for the 21st century. Amazing

This new age will be so gilded.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Being a human that lives a luxurious life simply isn't that expensive, truth be told. There is no reason to have more then, say, $250,000. That's being quite generous.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Yes, I'm sure forced wealth distribution will work out fine, and people won't equate it with Marxism at all...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Being a human that lives a luxurious life simply isn't that expensive, truth be told. There is no reason to have more then, say, $250,000. That's being quite generous.

I had that idea a while ago - raise income tax up to literally 99% after you hit, say, 500k per year. You'd still have a reason to work hard because 500k+ is a really nice life, but you'd have a lot more money for social service programs. I don't know how you'd begin to implement that sort of thing outside armed revolution, though, and since I'm not an economist I'm sure there are a ton of reasons it wouldn't work regardless. Not the least of which is how you'd handle large businesses.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I had that idea a while ago - raise income tax up to literally 99% after you hit, say, 500k per year. You'd still have a reason to work hard because 500k+ is a really nice life, but you'd have a lot more money for social service programs. I don't know how you'd begin to implement that sort of thing outside armed revolution, though, and since I'm not an economist I'm sure there are a ton of reasons it wouldn't work regardless. Not the least of which is how you'd handle large businesses.

No, it’s great, but addressing corporate welfare and their taxation plan as well is absolutely crucial.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

PassTheRemote posted:

Yes, I'm sure forced wealth distribution will work out fine, and people won't equate it with Marxism at all...

Communism will win.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Phenotype posted:

It's been done, Eisenhower, a Republican, set the highest tax bracket at 91%. Rich people were really unpopular after WW2.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

PassTheRemote posted:

Yeah, a lot of famous people have their names attached to very good ideas. What's your point

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's been done, Eisenhower, a Republican, set the highest tax bracket at 91%. Rich people were really unpopular after WW2.

The counter argument I hear when I've brought this up was that were massive loopholes back then and almost no one actually paid at that rate, but I haven't seen any evidence backing that up, does anyone know of any?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WampaLord posted:

The counter argument I hear when I've brought this up was that were massive loopholes back then and almost no one actually paid at that rate

Even if they weren't paying that specific rate you can clear as a day see that they were having an effect by looking at wealth and income distributions from the times. If the progressive taxes were in-effective then we would be seeing results closer to those of today were taxation is mostly flat or even regressive.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also the US government wasn't having so many revenue issues when it could just straight-up take more money from the people with more money, who woulda thunk it? We've never seen the second half of the laffer curve.

And really, among the luxuries of wealth is the better ability to exploit any sort of loophole or tactic to keep your money. You can really shoot for a high rate to try to compensate for all the holes like capital gains and whatnot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No new episode tonight?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Nope. He mentioned it last time, one week break. They'll be back next week.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Remember Eminem's court case against the NZ National Party?

Eminem won.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good. gently caress those lying sacks of poo poo.

The fuckers brought in American political hitmen to run their campaign going full negative instead of offering anything. Their voters are not much better arguing in bad faith, racist and revel in ignorance, so American Republicans.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I hope John brings it up just so I can hear him say “Eminem” in his Kiwi accent. I’m sorry. “Kiwi Esque” accent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Imminim!

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not really about loving rich people. The point of an extreme tax bracket for very high incomes, as a policy, isn't so much fiscal as economic, i.e. about shaping where money goes, and it gets results that are desirable from a Keynesian point of view. Nobody wants to pay that kind of tax, so people will generally work to avoid hitting that bracket and the government revenue from it is nothing to write home about. The idea is that it discourages rich people from hoarding money rather than investing it, encourages them to seek out exemptions (which the government picks out and thus can influence investment) and discourages companies from overpaying managers or paying out too much in dividends. Plus it makes the wealthy favor stable long-term investment strategies over risky short-term ones, because getting a quick windfall of huge sums to live off for years isn't viable and instead you'll want to keep your very-high-but-not-ludicrous income for as long as possible.

One practical upshot of this is that you can't do the investment banker CEO thing of picking up absurd multi-million-dollar bonuses for a few years, loving up horribly and still staying immensely rich forever.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Back when Reagan got shot it actually made him pro-gun control, but I guess these days death is favorable to having to face down the gun lobby.

I mean there was a mass shooting in goddamn Washington DC, it can't get closer to home unless a shooter actually makes it into congress or the RNC.
I've always said the gun lobby will have too much power until an NRA assembly gets shot up or the exec chairman's kid gets shot. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun? Okay, let's test that out with a conference hall full of "good guys with guns."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There was a movie with Wesley Snipes and Oliver Platt called "Liberty Stands Still" where the son of a senator who supports the NRA is killed to try and change his stance, and it's commented on that "all they're going to say is that everyone needs to be armed to stop people like you."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I've always said the gun lobby will have too much power until an NRA assembly gets shot up or the exec chairman's kid gets shot. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun? Okay, let's test that out with a conference hall full of "good guys with guns."

Didn't they try that shortly after the Charlie Hebdo shooting? At some conference a bunch of concealed carry advocates organised several runs of simulated attacks (with paintballs or airsoft or something like that) in the same vein against a partially armed group of attendees. And despite knowing it was coming (the attackers were even instructed to "make a loud noise" at the moment they entered the building), they still got murdered every single time. The best they managed was killing one of the two attackers one time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There have been multiple shootings in which the crowd of people being shot at had guns and it didn't make much of a difference, it hasn't made a difference in the conversation around guns so far.

Of course I think the image of "a good guy with a gun" is probably the lynchpin of a lot of firearm marketing. half of gun owners now cite "protection" as their reason for owning a gun, and it's under the guise of "protection" that a lot of the worst laws about guns are lobbied for, like open carry and stand your ground. I wouldn't be surprised if there were people arguing against background checks and waiting periods and required licenses because of "protection" as well.

That percentage is also twice as much as it was in 1999, which is really insane to me. It's one thing if you're trying to responsibly use a dangerous item for entertainment purposes for some kind of hobby, or hunting, but straight-up planning to kill people "just in case" because you think you're a cowboy is too much.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The weirdest thing about the right is the fact that they worship the police yet don't seem to trust them to actually protect the people.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Everyone thinking they're going to suddenly turn into John McClane is a huge part of the problem, and leads to "good guys with guns" shooting up parking lots over shoplifters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-face-charges/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

IRQ posted:

Everyone thinking they're going to suddenly turn into John McClane is a huge part of the problem, and leads to "good guys with guns" shooting up parking lots over shoplifters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-face-charges/

Has there been any follow up to that? Did she ever get charged?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Didn't they try that shortly after the Charlie Hebdo shooting? At some conference a bunch of concealed carry advocates organised several runs of simulated attacks (with paintballs or airsoft or something like that) in the same vein against a partially armed group of attendees. And despite knowing it was coming (the attackers were even instructed to "make a loud noise" at the moment they entered the building), they still got murdered every single time. The best they managed was killing one of the two attackers one time.
No surprise it didn't work revealing the argument to be total bullshit, but until someone in a position of power suffers a loss, the conversation won't change.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

And now the National Party's former leader's son has threatened to record a diss track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Guildencrantz posted:

It's not really about loving rich people. The point of an extreme tax bracket for very high incomes, as a policy, isn't so much fiscal as economic, i.e. about shaping where money goes, and it gets results that are desirable from a Keynesian point of view. Nobody wants to pay that kind of tax, so people will generally work to avoid hitting that bracket and the government revenue from it is nothing to write home about. The idea is that it discourages rich people from hoarding money rather than investing it, encourages them to seek out exemptions (which the government picks out and thus can influence investment) and discourages companies from overpaying managers or paying out too much in dividends. Plus it makes the wealthy favor stable long-term investment strategies over risky short-term ones, because getting a quick windfall of huge sums to live off for years isn't viable and instead you'll want to keep your very-high-but-not-ludicrous income for as long as possible.

One practical upshot of this is that you can't do the investment banker CEO thing of picking up absurd multi-million-dollar bonuses for a few years, loving up horribly and still staying immensely rich forever.

This is really smart and should be a policy dems run under, almost word for word.

"Either the rich lose all their income or they invest it in worker wages"

Josh Lyman posted:

Luckily the NRA has such a hero complex that the moment they face a real threat they tuck and run. They're also racist as gently caress. If one of them gets taken out by a .308 from a mile away they'll freak out.

I push for national concealed carry licences with strong background checks and training requirements. While at the same time acknowledging that forcing training and licencing unfairly effects poor and minority Americans the very same ability to legally buy weapons. Maybe we should just offer free training to every non-white to fix that and offer them cheep shotguns to scare the NRA.

• Locked thread