Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

I'm reading the Loser by Bernhard and it's better than whatever stupid poo poo everyone's talking about now

Nah, but that book's cool too

I think you'd like Lincoln in the Bardo, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

hooked on Fauxnics posted:

I think the joke is that almost all Bernhard is about a friend of the narrator killing themselves.

Ah idk it's my first Bernhard but that's badass

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I gave up on Jerusalem (by Alan Moore)

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Nah, but that book's cool too

I think you'd like Lincoln in the Bardo, actually

Eh maybe I have no idea what it is/does

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CestMoi posted:

Eh maybe I have no idea what it is/does

just read it u nerd

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

any of yall ever read a book that was written in blood?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Powaqoatse posted:

Yes, once.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

Yes. It was also bound in human flesh. It was a 14th or 15th century (I really can't remember) German(?) Bible with a bunch of weird illustrations

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

badass

i read about Cyprianus black books a while ago and thought it sounded cool (so dangerous that if you accidentally read some of it, you have to read backwards to get out of it, like whoa) but when I actually read one it was anticlimactic as heck. Just a bunch of formulaic prayers :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tell me more about the blood/skin bible, if its real

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

tell me more about the blood/skin bible, if its real

I worked for a guy who was really wealthy and liked to collect old books, like the 1st edition of Moby-Dick, etc. He found an online seller trying to get rid of a "cursed book" and bought it. He's not superstitious or religious, but he was curious as to what a cursed book could be. There was an issue with the sale because of it having human remains, but the seller shipped it anyway. He got the book and it was really old, and sent it to some place, I guess a museum or something, for assessment. It was made of human flesh and blood, and dated in the 15th or 16th century and was an older Germanic language, and probably used for some form of Satanism. They didn't want to keep it.

I only saw it twice, and it's creepy. Most of the illustrations are really elaborate and show the devil in various settings. I couldn't read any of it, but there were two or three repeated phrases heading many passages. There was also intricate hand-drawn borders on many pages.

He still has it. I guess there's been quite a few offers for it, including a big offer from Jimmy Page, but he doesn't want to sell it yet.

If I ever see it again, I'll take some pics of it and post it, but I haven't been to his house in a few years.

Anyway, that's my book story.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i dont mean to call you out but i would think a museum would want to keep an actual 15th century book made out of human blood and skin. there arent a lof of those, you know?

probably the guy embellished a little?

e: apparently one from the 16th century & then it jumps to 19th: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropodermic_bibliopegy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pls take pics tho if you can tho :)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

i dont mean to call you out but i would think a museum would want to keep an actual 15th century book made out of human blood and skin. there arent a lof of those, you know?

probably the guy embellished a little?

e: apparently one from the 16th century & then it jumps to 19th: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropodermic_bibliopegy

Probably wasn't a museum, then. To add to the unbelievable events, the man that did the assessment was in a car accident after examining the book, hence his insistance to return it immediately.

Sounds like a horror movie or episode of some anthology series, but I've seen the book and talked to the assessor, and that would be an elaborate put on for my benefit and no real reason. But I am a guy on the internet and it's a crazy story. :shrug:

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

that's dope

though i think the usual story with things like that is that they end up being bound in some kind of animal skin which gets passed off as human for centuries because how would you even tell without forensics

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Franchescanado posted:

Probably wasn't a museum, then. To add to the unbelievable events, the man that did the assessment was in a car accident after examining the book, hence his insistance to return it immediately.

Sounds like a horror movie or episode of some anthology series, but I've seen the book and talked to the assessor, and that would be an elaborate put on for my benefit and no real reason. But I am a guy on the internet and it's a crazy story. :shrug:

Yea i dont doubt your account at all, i doubt the guy's account.

The assessor getting into a car accident lends credence to the story though

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

Have you ever heard of The Dictionary Of The Khazars?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CestMoi posted:

Have you ever heard of The Dictionary Of The Khazars?

No.. I have it as an ebook but it feels like it needs to be a physical book so I'm holding out. Def on my reading list though

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

I worked for a guy who was really wealthy and liked to collect old books, like the 1st edition of Moby-Dick, etc. He found an online seller trying to get rid of a "cursed book" and bought it. He's not superstitious or religious, but he was curious as to what a cursed book could be. There was an issue with the sale because of it having human remains, but the seller shipped it anyway. He got the book and it was really old, and sent it to some place, I guess a museum or something, for assessment. It was made of human flesh and blood, and dated in the 15th or 16th century and was an older Germanic language, and probably used for some form of Satanism. They didn't want to keep it.

I only saw it twice, and it's creepy. Most of the illustrations are really elaborate and show the devil in various settings. I couldn't read any of it, but there were two or three repeated phrases heading many passages. There was also intricate hand-drawn borders on many pages.

He still has it. I guess there's been quite a few offers for it, including a big offer from Jimmy Page, but he doesn't want to sell it yet.

If I ever see it again, I'll take some pics of it and post it, but I haven't been to his house in a few years.

Anyway, that's my book story.

would he be down for allowing scholars access to it? i'm a medievalist and i've never heard of anything like that.

VileLL posted:

though i think the usual story with things like that is that they end up being bound in some kind of animal skin which gets passed off as human for centuries because how would you even tell without forensics

not actually that hard. i've known profs who could tell goat from sheep from calf parchment by the smell. i'm not that good, but i can tell them apart by the hair follicle patterns using just a magnifying glass. if it doesn't look like any of those, but it does look like human, then, well...

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 22, 2017

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

that's powerful, i'm pretty surprised to hear it

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
tho i can tell sealskin manuscripts by their smell because they still smell like fish 800 years later

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

would he be down for allowing scholars access to it? i'm a medievalist and i've never heard of anything like that.

Within reason. He lives in St. Kitts now, but the book is in Central Florida. It'd be difficult to arrange. I could try and find a way to get pics, but it'd be at least a month.

It doesn't smell like fish! I can say that for sure.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

does it smell a litle bit a lotta bit like butt though

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It smells musty and salty.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I can't say that I know anything about this subject, but a quick Google suggests that there's only a handful of books bound in human skin known, none of them anything as interesting as a Bible, and the earliest known binding is from the 19th century

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh great yeah post it here and *curse the whole drat forum* sounds great

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ras Het posted:

I can't say that I know anything about this subject, but a quick Google suggests that there's only a handful of books bound in human skin known, none of them anything as interesting as a Bible, and the earliest known binding is from the 19th century

check out the wikipedia link i posted earlier, theres one book from the 16th century and then like 5+ from the 19th. not a good look for books imo

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How can we tell someone didn't post it already?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CestMoi posted:

How can we tell someone didn't post it already?

actually

someone whose name i wont reveal sent me a couple photos of the book. turns out its written by David and several major bits take place in a public aquarium

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

There’s no way that flesh could be more cursed or more putrid than some of the bloated sacks that have graced this forum

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Post it and I promise to blank quote it to double the effect, don't listen to the hater here

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
lol if you consider yourself a book reader and don't have at least a grimoire or two on your shelves

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

this but unironically

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I have a copy of Moby Dick made entirely out of whale cum

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I bet that took a lot of squeezing

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

dangerdoom volvo posted:

yeah i have some things your ex made too

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

quote:

Our white, naked bodies dissolve into a swarm of black creeping things, and I am—we are—a mass of glutinous coiling worms, endless, and in that infinity, no, I am infinite, and I howl soundlessly, begging for death and for an end. But simultaneously I am dispersed in all directions, and my grief expands in a suffering more acute than any waking state, a pervasive, scattered pain piercing the distant blacks and reds, hard as rock and ever-increasing, a mountain of grief visible in the dazzling light of another world.

Solaris is the best book.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Been reading Speak, Momeory. Excellent as always of Nabokov. The evoked atmosphere of pre-WWI Europe is great.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

The Belgian posted:

Been reading Speak, Momeory. Excellent as always of Nabokov. The evoked atmosphere of pre-WWI Europe is great.

it's good. i still need to read pnin, tho.

also wb, but please get back ur poirot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 25, 2022