Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
So what the gently caress happened to UNC because Larry Fedora looks like he’s about to get fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

So what the gently caress happened to UNC because Larry Fedora looks like he’s about to get fired

Everyone who was any good graduated. This was always supposed to be a rebuilding year, if they fire him they're dumb as hell

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

Everyone who was any good graduated. This was always supposed to be a rebuilding year, if they fire him they're dumb as hell

I think they've had a lot of injuries on top of that, and agreed.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/gmannVOLS/status/921875104346210304

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

How does this not end with Gruden?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

General Dog posted:

How does this not end with Gruden?

Gruden wants a good job?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Who are the top coaching prospects this season? I know that Frost at Central Florida is one of the names being thrown around a lot, but what about anyone else?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LLCoolJD posted:

Who are the top coaching prospects this season? I know that Frost at Central Florida is one of the names being thrown around a lot, but what about anyone else?

I'm starting to get worried somebody will notice bill clark

(if UAB gets to a bowl--which is now almost assured--he should get coach of the year)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

Who are Saban's current assistants? Those usually get snatched up first foolishly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

I’ve heard Willie Fritz’s name thrown around a bit

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Raku posted:

I'm starting to get worried somebody will notice bill clark

(if UAB gets to a bowl--which is now almost assured--he should get coach of the year)

I hadn't heard of him. South Alabama and Troy have both shown some success as well.

vyst posted:

Who are Saban's current assistants? Those usually get snatched up first foolishly.

I really hope at this point that Florida has exhausted themselves of hiring Saban assistants.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I feel like it's only a matter of time before Pete Kwiatkowski (Washington DC) starts getting phone calls

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

I think bigger programs might take a run at Brohm or Matt Campbell. Norvell at Memphis seems well positioned for a P5 job. Blake Anderson is probably gonna cruise to his third straight sun belt title at Arky State. Jason Candle has kept Toledo marching along. Seth Littrell doesn't have a huge track record yet but he's a really good offensive coach and is doing a nice job turning UNT around. Frank Wilson seemed like he was gonna be a hot name, especially since he was a great recruiter in the SEC, but UTSA hasn't looked great recently.

For coordinators Moorhead at PSU is a big one. Schiano might get anothet shot from someone. Alex Grinch is doing an awesome job with Washington State's defense.

LLCoolJD posted:

I hadn't heard of him. South Alabama and Troy have both shown some success as well.

I really hope at this point that Florida has exhausted themselves of hiring Saban assistants.

South Alabama sucks. I like Neal Brown at Troy but they've underachieved this year aside from the LSU game

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 22, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Who is a good "last stop before retirement" for UNLV to hire so I can have any shred of hope?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

It's hard to imagine anyone would take a run at Brohm after one season. Especially since Purdue just lost to Rutgers.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

It's hard to imagine anyone would take a run at Brohm after one season. Especially since Purdue just lost to Rutgers.

It's not like this is the first time he's ever been a head coach. He was awesome at WKU and they fell off a cliff without him this year. Purdue is way better than they have any right to be, even with a bad loss today. Hazell won 3 conference games in 4 years

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

MourningView posted:

I think bigger programs might take a run at Brohm or Matt Campbell.

I figure Tennessee may go after Brohm just because he's a Louisville guy and Knoxville is in the same general area of the country.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

It's not like this is the first time he's ever been a head coach. He was awesome at WKU and they fell off a cliff without him this year. Purdue is way better than they have any right to be, even with a bad loss today. Hazell won 3 conference games in 4 years

Wasn't WKU more of a Taggart success story? Not that I'm doubting his Purdue turnaround - that speaks for itself.

What about Jeff Monken at Army? I know it's triple option, but he's been pretty impressive there.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Lessail posted:

Who is a good "last stop before retirement" for UNLV to hire so I can have any shred of hope?

Riley will probably be available, and he'd do okay at that level.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

LLCoolJD posted:

Comedy option: Chip Kelly

I assume Chad Morris and Bryan Harsin are going to be power 5 coaches next season

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lessail posted:

Maybe getting a taste this year will convince Mike Price he's got a bit of gas left in the tank

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Emanuel Collective posted:

I assume Chad Morris and Bryan Harsin are going to be power 5 coaches next season

As far as Harsin is concerned, I'm not sure if anybody is that bowled over by him being just an okay caretaker at Boise for two years

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Emanuel Collective posted:

My buddies were talking about him for Nebraska. As a pipe dream mind you, but I was still surprised by it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't think Jeff Monken is leaving Army, like how Mr Howdy loving Doody Troy Calhoun isn't leaving Air Force or Ken Niumatalolo is leaving Navy

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

I don't think Jeff Monken is leaving Army, like how Mr Howdy loving Doody Troy Calhoun isn't leaving Air Force or Ken Niumatalolo is leaving Navy

Calhoun has interviewed a few times, and Ken is starting too after years of being resistant to it. Even though they're good coaches lots of power five programs won't touch them because of the option stigma (though that's less an issue with Calhoun). There's a lot of rumbling about Niamatalolo and Oregon State right now, which would be an awesome hire for them. Nebraska should look at him too if frost doesn't want to go home but probably won't.

Dango Bango posted:

Wasn't WKU more of a Taggart success story? Not that I'm doubting his Purdue turnaround - that speaks for itself.

What about Jeff Monken at Army? I know it's triple option, but he's been pretty impressive there.

Taggart started it but they only won 7 games with him. They won 10+ games and the conference twice in a row with Brohm. Plus you can tell he's a really good offensive coach just watching those teams. I think he's Petrino without the gross parts.

General Dog posted:

As far as Harsin is concerned, I'm not sure if anybody is that bowled over by him being just an okay caretaker at Boise for two years

Yeah I don't really get the appeal there, Boise is still fine but they've been steadily falling off from where they were. They're good but they haven't been a serious contender for best G5 program with him and he inherited about as good a G5 situation as you can get. I could see a west coast team making a run because there aren't a ton of standout mountain west guys right now but eh. I also don't think he's all that eager to leave

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 22, 2017

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

Taggart started it but they only won 7 games with him. They won 10+ games and the conference twice in a row with Brohm. Plus you can tell he's a really good offensive coach just watching those teams. I think he's Petrino without the gross parts.

Just checked Wikipedia and Taggart was apparently was gone from WKU *way* before I thought he was. Legit thought those bowl teams were Taggart's.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Brohm has a lovely roster, and he has a track record. He's a good coach. I think he'll wait for Louisville to open up.

I'll add Dino Babers to the list. Baylor was stupid not to go after him last year. His tenure hasn't been perfect, but dude knows how to coach offense, and I think he'd be insane with better talent.

Dave Clawson and Dave Doeren seem like good candidates to move up. Nebraska would hire Paul Johnson if they weren't stupid.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'll add Dino Babers to the list. Baylor was stupid not to go after him last year. His tenure hasn't been perfect, but dude knows how to coach offense, and I think he'd be insane with better talent.

Hmmm yes I can't think of a single reason why they'd want to avoid former Briles assistants

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

Hmmm yes I can't think of a single reason why they'd want to avoid former Briles assistants

even without those extenuating circumstances, I would start violently gesturing at the state of Bowling Green to anyone who had the idea of hiring him

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

When UGA defense totally vaporizes our OL next Saturday and we have double-digit yardage, will we finally Fire Nuss?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Georgia Southern has fired their coach after an 0-6 start.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Duckaerobics posted:

I mean, yeah. Summers has been a freefall of a step down. Two years ago, Southern takes a 10-win UGA to OT in Athens; this year they're getting pantsed by UMass.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LeeMajors posted:

When UGA defense totally vaporizes our OL next Saturday and we have double-digit yardage, will we finally Fire Nuss?

Sweet summer child

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

“We just need to go ahead and complete them. Plan’s good, the execution piece needs to get better."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Duckaerobics posted:

Tyson Summers was a really bad fit for Georgia Southern. Before he'd been in Statesboro a year, he'd already burned through co-offensive coordinators, who now have pending litigation against the university for breach of contract.

Expect AD Tom Kleinlein to get the ax soon as well.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

nachos posted:

Sweet summer child

I know :smithicide: because:

LLCoolJD posted:

“We just need to go ahead and complete them. Plan’s good, the execution piece needs to get better."

Goddamn saturday is going to be uuuuugly.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Kim Jong Il posted:

Nebraska would hire Paul Johnson if they weren't stupid.

Replacing a 64-year-old with a 60-year-old is gonna be a tough sell, nevermind the massive gear shift in offensive system that would need to occur (granted, this would happen under Frost as well)

Meanwhile,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 23, 2017

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
What the hell kind of fine art is there in Nebraska

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
C'mon man, we have First Friday artwalks like all lib oases

Also,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

edit:
https://twitter.com/Sean_Callahan/status/571038407884808192

wa27 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 23, 2017

• Locked thread