Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nessus posted:

I had completely forgotten about Harlan Ellison.

A lot of people wish they could forget about Ellison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tighclops posted:

Trek is comfort food for the soul, I never watched these shows to feel like I was chewing nails or getting kicked in the balls, even during DS9's darkest moments.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner here, this guy gets it. Moriatti was calling the Orville "comfort food" like it was a bad thing. Nope, that's exactly what it is and what it should be. Star Trek was always the ultimate feel-good show, and that's what it should be. And this kind of show just sort of went out of style.

And you know, there's nothing wrong with the kind of show Discovery is. I like dark gritty military sci-fi with grey morality. But there are so many shows and movies out there that are like that. I can get my fill of that any time I want. Star Trek Discovery is kind of pointless to me. Why watch a dark, gritty prestige drama that's dressed up like Star Trek? Why even bring Star Trek back at all if you're going to abandon what makes Star Trek different from all the other sci-fi shows? You might as well just let the series stay dead.

Over the past 10 or so years, I kept saying "man, I really miss Star Trek." I didn't miss it because I really wanted to see Klingons or Vulcans or the Enterprise again. I miss the style of those 90's Star Trek shows and the kinds of stories they told. I like the Orville because it gives me a hit of that Star Trek crack that I've been missing for like 15 years. It's a shameless 90's throwback and that is exactly what I want. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Hell, if I ever made my own Sci-Fi show, I'd make it a stylistic throwback to stuff from the 70's like Star Wars, Battlestar Galatica and Space:1999. Just because I like poo poo like that. I wasn't even born yet in the 70's.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner here, this guy gets it. Moriatti was calling the Orville "comfort food"

if tng is french cuisine and ds9 the finest gumbo what is voyager

funeral potatoes? jello salad? some godawful hotdish?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Harlan Ellison is one area where I'm willing to give Roddenberry the benefit of the doubt, because two other producers - Bob Justman and Harve Bennett - recounted their experience on other shows where Ellison handed in a script that was beautifully written but practically unshootable.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

TV dinner

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Voyager is aspic.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Are y'all watching The Good Place. It's not space opera obviously but has a lot to recommend to the Trek fan: sci-fi adjacent setting with its own internal rules and logic, ethical concerns drive the plot in many episodes, and the tone is consistently optimistic and humane

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner here, this guy gets it. Moriatti was calling the Orville "comfort food" like it was a bad thing. Nope, that's exactly what it is and what it should be. Star Trek was always the ultimate feel-good show, and that's what it should be. And this kind of show just sort of went out of style.

Sadly, this is it. The powers that be have determined that optimism doesn’t make that sweet, sweet cash. And honestly, it probably doesn’t these days. Though I myself could go for a positivity injection in my media (Orville does a pretty good job so far, but I think its ratings are tanking).

The 90s were just a different time, when we were all looking toward the the future of the new millennium and the wonders it would bring. Now that we’re here, well...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kraft macaroni

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gammatron 64 posted:

Over the past 10 or so years, I kept saying "man, I really miss Star Trek." I didn't miss it because I really wanted to see Klingons or Vulcans or the Enterprise again. I miss the style of those 90's Star Trek shows and the kinds of stories they told.

I always viewed Star Trek as a sort of test-bed for science fiction concepts drawn from short stories. TOS did that extremely well, TNG some of the time. DS9 definitely dropped that and VOY didn't pick it up again.

We certainly need a series like that, though; a space opera version of your Black Mirror or American Horror Story sort of program. Make it okay to completely drop everything from the last episode and start fresh with a new one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Tunicate posted:

Kraft macaroni

Store brand macaroni.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mister Kingdom posted:

Store brand macaroni.

TNG is that locally owned comfort food joint in the hip part of town. Voyager is Applebee’s.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

HD DAD posted:

Voyager is Applebee’s.

That got a 71 from the health inspector.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Star Trek Boyardee.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

And you know, there's nothing wrong with the kind of show Discovery is. I like dark gritty military sci-fi with grey morality. But there are so many shows and movies out there that are like that. I can get my fill of that any time I want. Star Trek Discovery is kind of pointless to me. Why watch a dark, gritty prestige drama that's dressed up like Star Trek? Why even bring Star Trek back at all if you're going to abandon what makes Star Trek different from all the other sci-fi shows? You might as well just let the series stay dead.

Comfort Food is safe, and it only expresses what you already know. Good Star Trek is rarely safe. "In The Pale Moonlight", "Far Beyond the Stars", "The Guardian on the Edge of Forever", "I, Borg" are all about saying things that are even now not popular.

Voyager is safe.
Enterprise is safe.

No thank you.

I'm not saying Discovery has said anything significant yet, but I don't EVER see Orville dropping a "Duet", while Discovery would at least try.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HD DAD posted:

Sadly, this is it. The powers that be have determined that optimism doesn’t make that sweet, sweet cash. And honestly, it probably doesn’t these days. Though I myself could go for a positivity injection in my media (Orville does a pretty good job so far, but I think its ratings are tanking).

The 90s were just a different time, when we were all looking toward the the future of the new millennium and the wonders it would bring. Now that we’re here, well...
I wonder if they said similar things about TOS when it was tanking in ratings.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Moriatti posted:

I'm not saying Discovery has said anything significant yet, but I don't EVER see Orville dropping a "Duet", while Discovery would at least try.

Imagine Duet if you had no emotional interest in the characters and everyone was an rear end in a top hat.
Sounds like poo poo, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Moriatti posted:

Comfort Food is safe, and it only expresses what you already know. Good Star Trek is rarely safe. "In The Pale Moonlight", "Far Beyond the Stars", "The Guardian on the Edge of Forever", "I, Borg" are all about saying things that are even now not popular.

Voyager is safe.
Enterprise is safe.

No thank you.

This is pretty much where I am at at this point. I prefer something like Discovery to at least try and be interesting, rather than just do a TNG rehash 30 years later.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Data: "Commander, I'd like to remind me about my poetry reading this afternoon."
Riker: "(Wryly) I wouldn't miss it for the world."
Me: *Quotes Riker's post but adds "this unironically"*

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Also meant to post this but hosed up:

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Schisms. Riker in his pajamas with his hair not perfect for once. I mean it's still perfect in its imperfection, but

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ezri should have ended up with Quark

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What I wouldn't give to be in that room applauding Data's poem

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is absolutely incredible

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ode to Spot unironically rocks as does this entire loving episode

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Those loving philistines

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

corn in the bible posted:

That's because he was scripted as a one-off character, with no intention of ever having him show up again. People really liked him though, so they brought him back and gave him a bigger role starting in the next season.

I'm pretty sure Garak only shows up, like, maybe twice in DS9's second season. He doesn't really start showing up with any regularity until the third season, and even then I don't think it's until Improbable Cause that he really starts developing as a character.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Moriatti posted:

Voyager is safe.
Enterprise is safe.

No thank you.

Safe? The third episode of the Orville covered a pretty hot button topic, and I'm glad they did an episode that ballsy 3 episodes in. It's also a show that is purposefully retro sci-fi with comedy blended in so I'm not sure if I would call it "safe." If Seth McFarlane didn't already have a license to print money, most studio execs would see his idea for a show and tell him to gently caress off because it would be viewed as suicide.

Discovery is the show that's actually safe. It apes a style of TV show that is already known to be successful with modern audiences. I do not see Discovery as a ballsy risk-taking show. If anything, it's a show compromised by executive interference.

What I'm getting at is that Discovery is not super unique, original or ballsy. Of course, the Orville isn't either, but there's also nothing else like the Orville on TV these days. There's plenty of other things like Discovery.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker's insomnia is caused by all the undimmed white lights on the ship at all hours. Someone needs to install f.lux on the computer.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh poo poo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The return of the barber. Could this be the best episode ever

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What is Worf's problem

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ah, space madness

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Ah, space madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrwV-vv7nFc&t=1s

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is perfectly weird and creepy

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wait who is that loving woman in the ready room. She was there and the poetry reading too and she hasn't had any lines

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:stare:

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

It's not clear to me how Data makes his choices about what actions to take and interests to pursue if he really didn't have emotions. He doesn't have a narrow directive that he has to follow, and he repeatedly undertakes various open-ended activities that at the same time reveal a consistent personality and sensibility. A being without a specific object to achieve and without emotions that direct its behavior would be a nightmarish whirlwind of inconsistent actions, I think.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That woman is like the episode of Rick and Morty with all the new characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiRjywbypLA

In case anyone doesn't remember the poem.