Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
people do that poo poo because their exposure to the hobby is "this one time" Epic Funneh Stories and imgur d&d meme galleries full of comics where people roll 1 on intimidate checks and end up having to gay gently caress the castle guard. like i bet that player could post that anecdote in pretty much any casual rpg discussion and have people think it was really funny instead of dumb as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Not everyone should respond to your intimidating antics with cowering, they can retaliate in kind, in kind being with scissors in the throat.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They are the group that taught me that no gaming is better than bad gaming. I enjoy their company during board game nights but I am never playing an rpg with them ever again. It is a huge (11 people) group where two of them constantly behave like annoying grogs and the rest of them tolerate that behavior because friendship I guess. Take those two out of rpgs and they become way more tolerable, surprisingly.

Best part is that they are planning to run a game of political intrigue about violent syndicates and parliament debates where the players are MPs and there is close to no combat. The system? D&D 5th ed.

Azran fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 22, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
who the holy gently caress plays an rpg with eleven people

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It is one of those "must not divide the group!!!" scenarios.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the first group i ever joined (aside from a super short-lived club in high school) played in the commons area in the dorms so people would just stop by and be like "ive been meaning to try d&d, can i play?" and they'd draft up a character with someone's help who wasn't currently involved in a scene. i dont know if it ever hit 11 people but it was close some days. and i sure as hell cant tell you a single thing about any of the characters from that game despite playing with them for 6 months or so aside from two specific gimmicks (a barbarian who attempted to cleave rocks/trees/doors/whatever to keep his cleave going and a druid with two squirrels named Dorbert and Nagget)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

they misheard when someone suggested a game with elven pcs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Someone photoshop that to say "friends" thanks.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Super-soldier superhuman plots are a dime a dozen, particularly in "one power source" superhero worlds. I wouldn't read too much into it. AMP could be derivative of UXM, but it could be derivative of a lot of things. And the impact that the X-Men itself has had on superhuman sci-fi and superheroes really can't be understated.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Someone photoshop that to say "friends" thanks.

On rules or friends cause it might be both

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Super-soldier superhuman plots are a dime a dozen, particularly in "one power source" superhero worlds. I wouldn't read too much into it. AMP could be derivative of UXM, but it could be derivative of a lot of things. And the impact that the X-Men itself has had on superhuman sci-fi and superheroes really can't be understated.

My impression when I reviewed AMP was that it was just scooping up all the comics influences it could find and smooshing them all into one setting. There's at least two takes on the X-Men in there, something that looks a bit like Heroes, some stuff I recognise from Stormwatch, and so on.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Plutonis posted:

On rules or friends cause it might be both

Over story

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blockhouse posted:

I played 4E with a guy who ran two simultaneous groups of 6, in the same world, with time travel, and brought them together for the final boss. With a guest playing an unaligned NPC.

The guy was a genius DM and, to his credit, made everything work... up to the point where he had fourteen people at the table.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Azran posted:

One of my friends just texted me this

"I'm running 4e. One of my players maxed Charisma and is dumping all his points on Intimidate and Diplomacy, then proceeds to roll Intimidate/Diplomacy on my other players who have low Will values to coerce them into doing stuff. Should I hand out free feats to bolster their defenses so as to stop this player from ruining the game?"

:shepface:
The correct way to handle this is

Serf posted:

tell them they can't use their skills to coerce the other players because it's not a loving PvP game
Possibly combined with kicking Charisma guy out. I'd opt for that option sooner rather than later but your friend's mileage may vary.

Buuuut if they need a rules quote, point out that Diplomacy is not a check against will, but against a DM-set DC, and Intimidate is explicitly rolled against a monster's Will. (No rules quote should be needed, they gotta put their foot down on this one.)

e: also "dumping all his points", are they sure they're doing it right?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, do you mean feats? Because like, you get a check-mark or any skill.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
I guess it could be a figure of speech, like trying to tune everything to upping Intimidate, like race, feats, making sure you get skill training as a part of a Cha-primary class, maybe skill powers to boost it?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yes, sorry. My friend used to play 3.5 almost exclusively so she uses "dump all points on" to mean "going all in". It's been a while since I played 4e so I forgot to correct that part. Blame the translator :shobon:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Eeeeesh why though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thought that had to be it, just making sure :v:

If your friend is still on the fence about this, consider it this way: this player is putting his resources into playing characters that aren't his. He's directly taking that option away from other players. This isn't how the game works, he needs to be told in no uncertain terms, and if he throws a fit and quits over it then frankly that's a net gain for the group.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
just tell him to play a lazylord

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

starkebn posted:

just tell him to play a lazylord

Tbh this and disallowing pvp checks is probably the happiest solution.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Moriatti posted:

Over story

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Play a game with good rules dumbass comic guy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Play a game with good rules dumbass comic guy

he clearly does, which is why he rejects it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I guess no one told him life was gonna be this way

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
dungeon world is not a substitute for D&D and calling it one disservices crunch and PBTA players alike

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'd be pissed off too

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The good way to handle order-giving / mind urging in a player-on-player sense is you tell someone to do something and if they follow the urge to do it, they get XP or a fate point or similar thing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Blockhouse posted:

I ran a SpellJammer game at my FLGS back on 06-07 where the store owner asked me to accommodate anyone who showed interest in the game. This resulted in there being about 2-4 regular players with up to 1-2 others playing at the same time as the regulars. It was a bitch to plan for encounters (I was running 3.5 at the time) but I still rolled with it, until the day that all four regulars showed up as well as the 8 other people who had been drop ins during the campaign.

It was a loving nightmare of a session, and the last time I ever ran with more than 5 players.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

This is more trivia than anything else, but large playing groups were not uncommon in the very early days (of D&D) when it was still heavily mired in "a wargame, but you only control your one dude and maybe his hirelings" and turns/actions were significantly simplified and fast as a result.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bewilderment posted:

The good way to handle order-giving / mind urging in a player-on-player sense is you tell someone to do something and if they follow the urge to do it, they get XP or a fate point or similar thing.
It's amazing how even a barebones bennie system smoothes play in general. Every "can I do <potentially game breaking thing>?" moment we had while learning eote was resolved with "yes this time if you spend a force point to escalate, I'll check the rules later".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 23, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
There’s a free Japanese TRPG about being a student at a magic school, which isn’t terribly interesting by itself since half the Japanese TRPGs out there seem to be about magic schools, but the interesting thing is the character stats. You have three stats: Action Magic, Reaction Magic and Liberal Arts.

I guess not everyone goes to a magic school to learn magic...

Also the game boasts over 300 spells but I’ll have to see how many are elemental palette swaps since elemental specialties are central to the game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Getsuya posted:

There’s a free Japanese TRPG about being a student at a magic school, which isn’t terribly interesting by itself since half the Japanese TRPGs out there seem to be about magic schools, but the interesting thing is the character stats. You have three stats: Action Magic, Reaction Magic and Liberal Arts.

Also the game boasts over 300 spells but I’ll have to see how many are elemental palette swaps since elemental specialties are central to the game.

Japanese Ars Magica ftw

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I didn't have any luck in figuring out a good option for the extremely casual group I had in mind, but I did get Dread and Ten Candles for use with my regular crew. We did character creation and one scene in Ten Candles and everyone was really into it... Then my friend fell asleep on the couch. Oh well, maybe next time. Thanks for all the suggestions.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is more trivia than anything else, but large playing groups were not uncommon in the very early days (of D&D) when it was still heavily mired in "a wargame, but you only control your one dude and maybe his hirelings" and turns/actions were significantly simplified and fast as a result.

“... the referee to player ratio should be about 1:20 or thereabouts.”

OD&D book 1

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Japanese Ars Magica ftw

Also characters don’t have HP; their wands do. So failing a fight doesn’t kill you, making combat and PvP surprisingly light-hearted.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Getsuya posted:

Getsuya posted:

Also characters don’t have HP; their wands do. So failing a fight doesn’t kill you, making combat and PvP surprisingly light-hearted.

This sounds awesome. What's it called? Does it have an English edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Getsuya posted:

That's kind of great.

"You're three stats are: Fighting, Defending, Philosophical Discourse Relating To 17th Century French Political And Societal Dialogues And Developments"

• Locked thread