Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, it was a massive, shocking status quo changing story that kind of destroyed everything about Green Lantern and started from scratch. So it's memorable if nothing else. And yeah, brought in Kyle.

Even if Rebirth and countless "status quo changing" stories since probably dilute that quite a bit in retrospect.

All I can think about now is that in twenty years people are going to be looking at Secret Empire as 'peak' Captain America.

Also that I've apparently become an old man while i wasn't looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What about..... gently caress Hal Jordon and give me John Stewart?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, all I can say is I'm an old man who can remember I never read GL but bought those Emerald Twilight comics as a kid.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mordiceius posted:

What about..... gently caress Hal Jordon and give me John Stewart?

I'm with you on that. However, unless an edict comes down from WB, or Geoff Johns suddenly dies, Hal Jordan will forever be the Green Lantern of the DCCU.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

got any sevens posted:

Treat the lanterns like space cops, they clock in at 8am and get assigned a planet to patrol for the day, and how lovely everything is and they make things worse, it drives Hal mad, bing bong. Act 2 is him going more crazy and being "villainous" and act 3 is whatever conclusion, the other lanterns fighting back or whatever.

That's the thing though, the parallax storyline doesn't have an act 3. Hal Jordan is employee of the month at Space Police Academy, then he flips out and murders everyone, then he just fucks off, and they re-do Green Lantern as a touchy-feely artist type.

Later Hal Jordan turns up to be the villain in Zero Hour, a completely unintelligible crossover comic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kulkasha posted:

They tried that already.

Thor was boring until they started leaning on Asgard. Daredevil was third string or maybe worse and then Frank Miller came along. The X-Men were apparently so unsalvageable that they didn't even write new stories for them for... years? Then Claremont came along.

I mean, he's basically a cop right? How many thousands of cop characters are written about all the time?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

There are societal reasons why Hero Cop characters aren't really making waves at the moment.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm with you on that. However, unless an edict comes down from WB, or Geoff Johns suddenly dies, Hal Jordan will forever be the Green Lantern of the DCCU.

I haven’t heard any Green Lantern DCEU news in ages, but I thought the plan was to bring in Stewart and Jordan — basically Lethal Weapon in space.

So...yay?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

josh04 posted:

There are societal reasons why Hero Cop characters aren't really making waves at the moment.

Thats why the crazy evil hal hordan would be topical. Dark knight harvey dent him

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

got any sevens posted:

Thats why the crazy evil hal hordan would be topical. Dark knight harvey dent him

I mean, this'd work. Hal Jordan was the top space cop until the next reported perp... was him. Hal Jordan's Minority Report continues until he's inadvertently slaughtered most of Oa trying to prove his innocence, and it ends with him learning the truth and going completely off the edge.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A bunch of Ragnarok footage I haven't seen yet in this video. Goldblum as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EWn07O8qdk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Might be interesting if you combine Emerald Twilight with Sinestro Corps; Hal Jordan goes off the deep end possibly with the help of Parallax, Sinestro tries to stop him and ends up embracing the same power that drove Hal nuts and makes his own style of Lantern, new Lanterns have to pick up the pieces.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kulkasha posted:

They tried that already.

Yeah, it worked pretty well for two seasons but then the movie came out and everything green turned toxic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

josh04 posted:

That's an argument for not doing GL at all since they're all cops, not just Jordan.

Maybe that is what you want, I don't know.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hal rules. At his best he's Han Solo. Cut from the same pulp era sci-fi cloth. John, Guy, and Kyle rule too. Green Lantern is a good concept for a wide range of character types.

DC characters tend to be more flexible than Marvel characters, which makes it all the more baffling that they have such a hard time making good movies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Somewhere between cops and Jedi. Or a superhero franchise. They aren't exactly committed to a set of rules to enforce (aside from their own behaviour) but can basically act as local superheroes for anywhere they protect, who can maybe call in backup and in turn get called up to help other Lanterns with major threats.

The DCAU actually also had Hal Jordan, I think, he just spent nearly all his time in space with the Lantern Corps while Stewart stayed on Earth with the Justice League. (and occasionally brought the League with him into space)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Davros1 posted:

So does Flash's emblem break ever time he runs?

Someone more knowledgeable please chime in, but I think at some point the comics introduced "The Speed Force" as some way to make comic nerds shut up about questions like this. Some extra-dimensional force keeps The Flash's body from disintegrating from super acceleration, allows him to see and hear while moving at light speed, etc etc.

VVV Sorry, still getting caught up on this thread

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 22, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As I've mentioned a number of times, the Speed Force basically evolved and mutated ridiculously until the Flash became basically a speed-themed wizard.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Open Marriage Night posted:

Hal rules. At his best he's Han Solo.

I'm not sure if you don't know Hal Jordan, or you don't know Han Solo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

As I've mentioned a number of times, the Speed Force basically evolved and mutated ridiculously until the Flash became basically a speed-themed wizard.

Was Snowflame a snow-themed wizard then?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yeah basically whenever a speed-related physics question would come up, Speed Force. In general Flash is far more powerful than Superman.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 22, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Was Snowflame a snow-themed wizard then?

No, he was a cocaine wizard.

Seriously.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I suppose Barry’s hideout we saw in the trailers is his speed-manufacturing lab, then.

David F Sandberg says that his Shazam movie is due for April 2019. He’s also bringing along the cinematographer and production designer from Annabelle: Creation.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Gyges posted:

I'm not sure if you don't know Hal Jordan, or you don't know Han Solo.

He’s not that far off, almost all of the incarnations of Hal I’m familiar with portrayed him as a cocky and brash flirt. I get not liking him, but for the past decade or so, he’s not this gray blob of blandness lol

Equeen fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 22, 2017

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Lobok posted:

That's an argument for not doing GL at all since they're all cops, not just Jordan.

Maybe that is what you want, I don't know.

Well, cops were at a popularity low point in America back in the early 90s too, and that's when DC decided the best thing to do with their space cop superhero was to turn him into a supervillain who burns down the station.

Equeen posted:

He’s not that far off, almost all of the incarnations of Hal I’m familiar with portrayed him as a cocky and brash flirt. I get not liking him, but for the past decade or so, he’s not this gray blob of blandness lol

He's a straight-laced cop and Han Solo is a criminal scoundrel. They have in common brashness (kinda?), that they're white guys, and being a pilot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Han Solo in A New Hope was basically the comic relief side villain who you couldn't quite trust until the end.

Peter Lorre could have played the role with the exact same dialogue and it would have made just as much sense.

The reason why Han Solo is such a lovable scoundrel has nothing to do with the character and everything to do with him being played by Harrison Ford.

Harrison Ford changed the tone of the character entirely and that's super reflected in how the character was changed for the rest of the entire franchise.

This is also related to why I suspect the Han Solo movie is going to be a goddamn trash fire. Unless they really lucked out on casting, they're not going to get some one who can take a comic relief betrayal dude and play him like Harrison Ford did.

Also Hal Jordan is absolutely the most boring piece of poo poo who is the least interesting of all the Lantern choices.

Of the human Lanterns, he is without question the worst one.

Even of Lanterns that turn evil, he's still not the best one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That said, imagine if we got a Hal Jordan played by early 80s Harrison Ford.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Imo the beginning of the end of DC being cool was when their writers decided screw the legacy stuff they'd been building, "Barry was Flash when I was a kid, Hal was GL when I was a kid, let's bring them back and screw the legacy stuff." Hal and Barry are boring compared to their replacements.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spacebump posted:

Imo the beginning of the end of DC being cool was when their writers decided screw the legacy stuff they'd been building, "Barry was Flash when I was a kid, Hal was GL when I was a kid, let's bring them back and screw the legacy stuff." Hal and Barry are boring compared to their replacements.

Still not as terrible as Marvel's "Peter Parker was unmarried when I was a kid, let's [ctrl-z] his marriage" maneuver

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Somebody in one of these two comic book movie threads was lamenting about about why DC can't pull off the storytelling that Marvel has mostly managed so far since DC characters are "so easy to write". Something like that. I can't find the post.

I disagree and think that Marvel characters are much much easier to write since, from the start, the main idea behind their characters was always to ground them in real world problems and make them sort of relatable. I would think that weaving a DCU together would be much harder than writing coherent Marvel stories.

Like, compare JL to Avengers. The hardest character to work into Avengers is Thor. With JL, you've got an Altantean, an Amazon, a resurrected Kryptonian plus a regular rich guy, a robot and a dude who can time travel. DC always seemed harder to create coherent stories around to me. I'm not sure where I'd start beyond ignoring continuity and crossovers.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

Somebody in one of these two comic book movie threads was lamenting about about why DC can't pull off the storytelling that Marvel has mostly managed so far since DC characters are "so easy to write". Something like that. I can't find the post.

I disagree and think that Marvel characters are much much easier to write since, from the start, the main idea behind their characters was always to ground them in real world problems and make them sort of relatable. I would think that weaving a DCU together would be much harder than writing coherent Marvel stories.

Like, compare JL to Avengers. The hardest character to work into Avengers is Thor. With JL, you've got an Altantean, an Amazon, a resurrected Kryptonian plus a regular rich guy, a robot and a dude who can time travel. DC always seemed harder to create coherent stories around to me. I'm not sure where I'd start beyond ignoring continuity and crossovers.

I mean, although I think Marvel movies are infantile for the most part, you're being disingenous. You've got an out of time ex-runt WW2 Supersoldier who doesn't have a clear-cut enemy like the Nazis to fight, an ego-maniacal rich guy trying to police the world with/against technology that seems to be just a bit beyond him, a self aware robot god, a russian spy fighting for america, an alien, and a man-monster who until recently was Jekyll and Hyde writ large. I mean, Falcon and Ant Man are like the only two basic dudes here.

I'm just saying there's a wide spectrum both sides have.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

With superhero comics people often conflate a character's powers with how easy/hard it is to write the character because, despite this bringing up the notion of there being good/bad/various styles of superhero writing, only conceptualize superhero stories as coming down to someone getting punched really hard.

So you always get stuff like Superman being the dumbest character because he's basically God so how could you possibly write a story that's good about him? Because it's only thought of through the lens "how easily can this superhero defeat a super villain?" DC's mainstream superheroes are more in that insanely powerful in one or two particular ways compare to how many of Marvel's biggest heroes (that they're pushing, no X-Men) are "regular dude that found/made a thing or got weird chemicals in their body."

Drifter posted:

This is 100% true, but among comic fans it's not uncommon at all to hear what BiggerBoat or myself are recounting.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 22, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Marvel characters tend to be closer to "everyday" humans. DC characters are closer to a pantheon of gods.

I think Spiderman and X-Men are what people are referring to when they say they are more relatable. Weirdly those are the properties that have movies not made by Marvel.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think a lot of its is just the approach. Love or hate the MCU it took the approach of introducing the characters individually, giving them their own stories, and then building up to the big teamups and massive Earth endangering threats. DCEU's gone the exact opposite route with basically jumping right into world threatening events and then having the characters show up and then do their individual stories after.

Obviously there's fans of both approaches but its no wonder the DCEU characters feel so much bigger when those are the approaches taken.

Traditionally I do think a lot of DC stories take the "god approach" while a lot of Marvel stories take the "human, family, hardship" approach. But obviously both have tons of comics and there's plenty on both sides. For any given character that has lasted long enough you can probably find examples where they're both written as "human" and "godlike."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Drifter posted:

I mean, although I think Marvel movies are infantile for the most part, you're being disingenous. You've got an out of time ex-runt WW2 Supersoldier who doesn't have a clear-cut enemy like the Nazis to fight, an ego-maniacal rich guy trying to police the world with/against technology that seems to be just a bit beyond him, a self aware robot god, a russian spy fighting for america, an alien, and a man-monster who until recently was Jekyll and Hyde writ large. I mean, Falcon and Ant Man are like the only two basic dudes here.

I don't think I'm being disingenuous at all by merely expressing my opinion. Describing me as disingenuous implies I'm arguing in bad faith and I'm not. Or not trying to anyway.

As a writer and an artist who's dabbled in comics, I can come up with ideas easier for Marvel characters than I can with DC ones, especially in a shared universe, and the person I was trying to respond to was expressing frustration with the idea that "DC characters are 'easy to write'" and bitching about the (mostly) lovely movies we've gotten so far.

Maybe Marvel has just done a better job so with character establishment, which I think that's a fair argument to make. I have no dog in this fight and I like Marvel as well as DC. I think they both have several great characters.

DC just feels more...complicated....I guess and harder to weave together. Overall anyway. I mainly just take exception to your assertion.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

UmOk posted:

Marvel characters tend to be closer to "everyday" humans. DC characters are closer to a pantheon of gods.

I think Spiderman and X-Men are what people are referring to when they say they are more relatable. Weirdly those are the properties that have movies not made by Marvel.

That's sort of what I meant and those are good examples. I'd include DD and even the FF in that category. Iron Man, Power Man, Punisher, Dr. Strange...There are plenty others.

When Marvel took the lead over DC, that was how they did it and managed to get and older audience to read the books, even if the heroes themselves were far out and over powered and the stories were just as immature and still aimed at kids for the most part.

They at least attempted to address the idea of "what if I had all these incredible powers but still had to live a regular life in a real city" and Stan Lee himself has stated this as one of his primary goals with writing the characters.

Astro City is the best DC universe because it takes this approach. BvS tried but failed IMO and STAC Goat is right about the approach and the way it's handled, like it or not. The MCU introduced us gradually to the crazy poo poo. The DC approach just went full on GOTG and Thor: Ragnarok with nothing behind it.

Characters like GL, Superman, Flash, WW, etc. are SO loving overpowered in a universe that's based on who can kick the other person's rear end that they're often hard to humanize. I'm not sure how I'd write them unless I were keeping them separate.

Double post but W/e

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Surely the obvious explanation is that the MCU is lowest-common-denominator stuff with a focus on the feel-good factor and on-point quips for maximum mass-market appeal while the much younger and smaller DCU was comparatively less accessible for two out of its current three movies?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Danger posted:

Surely the obvious explanation is that the MCU is lowest-common-denominator stuff with a focus on the feel-good factor and on-point quips for maximum mass-market appeal while the much younger and smaller DCU was comparatively less accessible for two out of its current three movies?

Four movies

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Lt. Danger posted:

Which DCEU film did you block out from your memory? Was it Suicide Squad? I bet it was Suicide Squad :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah marvel movies are easier to write for because they just give 70% of the cast of any given movie the same character voice they hit it big with with tony stark

• Locked thread