Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

John F Bennett posted:

According to the notes, AI siege abilities have been improved. Is it noticeable?

Started a new game yesterday, a few turns in I get a message that another competitor has been eliminated. Some time later I saw the AI conquer a city state so I would say that it is improved. I do not know how good it is against a player though, but AI vs. AI seems to work at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I feel like I say this every time a new Civ comes out but, this Indonesia theme is really something special. I'm a sucker for atomic-era themes and it doesn't disappoint.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TjyvTompa posted:

Started a new game yesterday, a few turns in I get a message that another competitor has been eliminated. Some time later I saw the AI conquer a city state so I would say that it is improved. I do not know how good it is against a player though, but AI vs. AI seems to work at least.

The AI has been able to conquer city states for ages!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I hosed around with a prince-level game. Managed to take a capital with a warrior and a unique bowman as the Nubians. So that was p hosed.

Then just by playing I managed to get suzerain status with half the CSs on the continent. I declared a surprise war on Brazil, who still had 3 cities vs. my 7. My allied CSs did all the work, using seige to whittle down the cities. I managed to snip the capital with a horse chariot. The CSs took the other two and razed them. Now I'm bored and am thinking of starting again.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

50% off Digital Deluxe Edition coupon for free, hit me up on Steam

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shootingblanks/

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Trivia posted:

Now I'm bored and am thinking of starting again.

sid_meier's_civilization.txt

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I've got a coupon for 50% off Civilization VI Digital Deluxe - that's Civ VI and six DLC packs - that I'm willing to trade for a couple trading cards. Red Faction Guerilla or any Batman Arkham cards would be appreciated but I'm not choosy. Send me a private message with your steam name or post it here in the thread and add me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/medelsnygg/

Crossposting from the steam thread, feel free to post here or there.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed this: since the patch, map generation seems to be hosed up. The game is constantly spawning Civs and city states right on top of each other instead of evenly spread out. Half the games I start have 1 -2 City states or Civs so close to my starting location that I can see them on turn 1. Sometimes another civ’s starting settler will be 4 tiles away from my own.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

*opens menu, clicks restart*

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
In case anyone's wondering, PYDT on the Mac is again a no-go. Sorry to the folks in my games in advance.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kalko posted:

*opens menu, clicks restart*

Yep. That’s what half my map restarts look like.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
There’s a fix you can download on the Civfanatics site that just replaces the mapgen with the one prior to the patch. From what I read there’s a bug that forces players into the absolute worst eligible starting position, instead of the best one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So no one at Firaxis even started a single game after the patch was done? On one hand I am not the slightest bit surprised but on the other I am a bit annoyed. Get hosed you worthless amateur hacks! Consider changing careers to sweeping streets if you can figure out which end of the broom is the handle in only three attempts.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Any word on an official fix?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Any word on an official fix?

That's not how Firaxis works. The offical fix will come when the next DLC does.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's not impossible for between-DLC patches, but you will be kept in the dark either way until it's released (or just shy of releasing).
They just don't DO open, ongoing dialogues.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Every civ in my game was willing to sell open borders for 1GPT. Gave my culture victory a nice boost. Some were friends and some were friendly, but that was suspiciously easy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hogama posted:

It's not impossible for between-DLC patches, but you will be kept in the dark either way until it's released (or just shy of releasing).
They just don't DO open, ongoing dialogues.

When have they ever done that?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Going back just one game, Civ V had at least one patch that did not coincide with at least one DLC release before the expansions, and had patches during and after the expansions that weren't tied up with DLC, either.
There were DLC releases without version patches, as well.
As of yet for Civ VI, it's true that each patch has come with some form of DLC release, though the first one only came with the Aztecs going up for non pre-orders.

It is not to say that they will release patches off DLC scheduling, but that they can, and they won't give a peep about it until they do if they do.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Poil posted:

So no one at Firaxis even started a single game after the patch was done? On one hand I am not the slightest bit surprised but on the other I am a bit annoyed. Get hosed you worthless amateur hacks! Consider changing careers to sweeping streets if you can figure out which end of the broom is the handle in only three attempts.

Don't worry, the Spring 2018 patch may or may not address this. You'll know when it is released because they won't comment on it beforehand.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I downloaded the civfanatics fix and so far so good.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I actually don't seem to have that bug. Every start seemed pretty good and civs are evenly spaced out. Or maybe I'm just getting lucky?

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
If you use the Yet another maps pack mod then apparently the fix is included in that.

Aside from that bug (which, of course, *really* shouldn't be there, c'mon Firaxis), I must say that I've had a good time with the patch so far. The various beliefs added to Religion are great and makes it feel much more worthwhile and it is of course easier to get a Religion in the first place (though it will depend on which AIs you get in your game). Alexander fielded a good army in the first game I played, a mix of his unique units with archers in the back. He did some good manouvering too which I didn't expect.
The AI still lacked that real sense of purpose though, it could've definitely run a few of my cities over if it had been more decisive. As it is, I managed to fight them off but I still enjoyed how he pulled injured units back and how he handled his archers.

In that game, I was disappointed in the lack of naval power from the AI given that it was mentioned in the patch notes. On the game I'm playing now though, Russia showed up with a pretty large force of Caravels as well as land units. Luckily I had two city-states nearby that I was suzerain of so they kinda cut a lot of the army down.

It still feels like a pretty "messy" game overall of course but the patch has definitely made improvements for the games I've played so far. Indonesia is fun to play too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Don't worry, the Spring 2018 patch may or may not address this. You'll know when it is released because they won't comment on it beforehand.

It seems mad to me that you guys have gone from a "buy it after ten patches" company where people would make jokes about it to being the ones making really good games and speaking to everyone and Firaxis has become the "Wait until the first expansion" group.
How can they go so far downhill so fast?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I wouldn't want to talk to civ fans either, since they cannot be pleased.

:chef: "So this is what we're working on next, and the patch will be [fix details]"

:reject: "NO THAT IS THE WRONG DIRECTION, YOU NEED TO MAKE THE GAME MORE REALISTIC IN THESE SPECIFIC WAYS AND LESS REALISTIC IN THESE OTHER WAYS, AND FURTHERMORE WHY HAVEN'T YOU ADDRESSED [issue]???"

That said, the bizarre starts are bizarre and cannot be intentional. It is an incredibly low burden to simply say "oh, yeah, that's wrong, we're working on that right now" and it's frankly baffling that they don't even do that and then just lock the comments.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Taear posted:

It seems mad to me that you guys have gone from a "buy it after ten patches" company where people would make jokes about it to being the ones making really good games and speaking to everyone and Firaxis has become the "Wait until the first expansion" group.
How can they go so far downhill so fast?

I asked them why their patches were so lackluster at gamescon one time, but the guy just said something like "well you make bugs too!" and left. I'd ask Jon Shafer, but I've been away the whole time since he joined us. It almost has to be the console patch pipeline and someone corporate saying they can't do extra PC patches though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

homullus posted:

:chef: "So this is what we're working on next, and the patch will be [fix details]"

:reject: "NO THAT IS THE WRONG DIRECTION, YOU NEED TO MAKE THE GAME MORE REALISTIC IN THESE SPECIFIC WAYS AND LESS REALISTIC IN THESE OTHER WAYS, AND FURTHERMORE WHY HAVEN'T YOU ADDRESSED [issue]???"

That said, the bizarre starts are bizarre and cannot be intentional. It is an incredibly low burden to simply say "oh, yeah, that's wrong, we're working on that right now" and it's frankly baffling that they don't even do that and then just lock the comments.

Paradox manages it and they've got fanbases who'll start a fire in the Swedish embassy because Serbia's only got 4 provinces in EU4 and EU3 gave them 5.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

homullus posted:

Most people just want a decent AI who is not completely retarded on war and completely crazy on diplomacy, but I guess that's asking too much

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Most people just want a decent AI who is not completely retarded on war and completely crazy on diplomacy, but I guess that's asking too much

You say that, but this very thread illustrates how little agreement there is on what "not completely retarded/crazy" means in the context of a game that riffs on historicity.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Taear posted:

Paradox manages it and they've got fanbases who'll start a fire in the Swedish embassy because Serbia's only got 4 provinces in EU4 and EU3 gave them 5.

I want to say you're joking, but this is Paradox we're talking about here. So I can't be certain if you're actually serious or not.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

homullus posted:

You say that, but this very thread illustrates how little agreement there is on what "not completely retarded/crazy" means in the context of a game that riffs on historicity.

Most of the disagreement is from you though.
You didn't see arguments like this in the Civ4 thread because the AI wouldn't declare war on you when you're a warmonger and they're last in ranking overall and you're first.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Taear posted:

Most of the disagreement is from you though.

Whatever you say, Sir/Dame "I can't play this game because it says Victoria is queen of England"

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

controversial opinion: civ 6 should have an UI that isn't utter garbage

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Prav posted:

That is not even remotely controversial? Like, nobody is saying that the UI situation is cool and good?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Prav posted:

I think the UI should be garbage.

(And it should get better in game as you increase your spycraft)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
UI elements should be unlocked as you accumulate UI points and progress through a UI tree.

Each UI element should come with a quote that Sean Bean reads out when you unlock it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Each UI element should come with a quote that Sean Bean reads out when you unlock it.
Speaking of that, are the quotes properly read out again this patch?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Sean Bean's quotes are really badly chosen, you'll hear them a billion times over, and you can't turn off only them in the options.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Close button
Windows can now be closed by clicking an [x] in the top-right corner, instead of by typing "please close this window"

I went window shopping today! I bought four windows. - Tommy Cooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Firaxis has become enough like EA at this point that they very well may have paid shills posting on the Something Awful Games Forum.

Heh, I remember the SimShitty thread a few years ago. It was painfully obvious who the EA shills were