Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Use a real os and not Microsoft windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ive never even heard of tbem

"The Commission concluded that with a near-monopoly in the operating system market, Microsoft's bundling of Windows Media Player within Windows was anti-competitive. Microsoft was forced to unbundle the software and offer European consumers and manufacturers a version of Windows without it." that's windows N releases.

" On February 24, 2006, the Korean Fair Trade Commission (KFTC) ordered Microsoft to modify certain Microsoft Windows XP operating systems that are currently available in the Republic of Korea. In response to the KFTC order, Microsoft created new versions of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and Microsoft Windows XP Professional for distribution in the Republic of Korea.

The new versions that contain “K” in the name include links to Web sites that contain links to software downloads. These downloads are for third-party media player software and instant messaging software that are available to Korean consumers. "

So basically Microsoft had to make K and N versions of Windows available because "consumer choice" and since they cost the same as normal windows with less functionality, very few bought them. TechNet etc would give additional windows keys for K/N releases in each windows version though, so a lot of those are floating around to get sold for use.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

fishmech posted:

So basically Microsoft had to make K and N versions of Windows available because "consumer choice" and since they cost the same as normal windows with less functionality, very few bought them. TechNet etc would give additional windows keys for K/N releases in each windows version though, so a lot of those are floating around to get sold for use.

The same thing happened with IE in the US

and there's no way im trusting a company to not exploit being the default anything

especially one that puts literal ads on the start menu of the operating system on my pc

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ThePeavstenator posted:

The same thing happened with IE in the US

and there's no way im trusting a company to not exploit being the default anything

especially one that puts literal ads on the start menu of the operating system on my pc

Oh yeah we were all so oppressed not having to purchase browsers and media players like cavemen. :rolleyes:

It's good as hell that Microsoft killed those business models.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

oh god, i'm getting fishmeched

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

my premium browser purchase

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
before IE browsers were not free. also the idea that an os would come without a browser or media player built in was a total joke and made it pretty clear how much of a cash grab those settlements were

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ThePeavstenator posted:

my premium browser purchase

why wouldn't you spring for the Gold version of Netscape 3.0?!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Shaggar posted:

before IE browsers were not free. also the idea that an os would come without a browser or media player built in was a total joke and made it pretty clear how much of a cash grab those settlements were

I'm not pretending like it's not convenient to have all of that poo poo bundled with the OS, but those regulations don't exist to kneecap Windows for being "too good".

Also I'm just not inspired to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt when I have to opt out of advertisements in my OS.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no, they existed to extract payment from Microsoft.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

extracting money from corporations is cool and good, hth

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm not pretending like it's not convenient to have all of that poo poo bundled with the OS, but those regulations don't exist to kneecap Windows for being "too good".

They did though. All they did was make there be a bad version of Windows that no one wanted. Just to defend the honor of scam artists who wanted to force you to pay extra to browse the web or play media.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Powaqoatse posted:

this is fair

that means that microsoft was good to add ie and wmp (to kill the profits of the other corporations) and governments were right to sue microsoft (because they're a corporation too)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

owns

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

working in national security is exactly like yt's mom's job in snow crash is portrayed: you get to work on a tiny part of a thing you are forbidden from understanding and there are insipid metrics and meetings

do you want to end up trapped in a cube

because that's how you end up trapped in a cube

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol im already 100% cube and everyone else is owned

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
cubes are so 1998

orbs are the new hotness

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

maskenfreiheit posted:

cubes are so 1998

orbs are the new hotness

looking forward to when employers realize that instead of giving each employee their own orb, they can save money by putting them all in one big orb

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

new sitcom: one orb job

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

ThePeavstenator posted:

looking forward to when employers realize that instead of giving each employee their own orb, they can save money by putting them all in one big orb

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Wait what's an orbjob

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ohgodwhat posted:

Wait what's an orbjob

Well tell you when you're older

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shifty Pony posted:

why wouldn't you spring for the Gold version of Netscape 3.0?!

wait, you were supposed to pay for Netscape navigator gold?

my local community college had it as a free download at their free net

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it was free for schools

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it was free for all non-commercial use

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

it was free for anybody with half a brain

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Midjack posted:

Which is why shagger doesn't know about it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Midjack posted:

And IE was free for everyone, even Mac users, and happened to be much better too. That's why Netscape died and deserved it

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

fishmech posted:

And IE was free for everyone, even Mac users, and happened to be much better too. That's why Netscape died and deserved it

Netscape died because they got bought by AOL, stopped releasing for 2 years while they made their brand new browser, and by the time they came out with their new browser they had lost all of their users to IE. Also as soon as IE gained significant market share Netscape Navigator became free.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

maskenfreiheit posted:

do you want to end up trapped in a cube

because that's how you end up trapped in a cube

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ThePeavstenator posted:

Netscape died because they got bought by AOL, stopped releasing for 2 years while they made their brand new browser, and by the time they came out with their new browser they had lost all of their users to IE. Also as soon as IE gained significant market share Netscape Navigator became free.

Netscape had no viable business model without selling browsers and also had a bad browser to start with. It's good Microsoft killed them with free browser

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ThePeavstenator posted:

Netscape died because they got bought by AOL

nah, we got bought by AOL because we were hosed, AOL just made the end more degrading

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Well tell you when you're orber

:orb:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

They did though. All they did was make there be a bad version of Windows that no one wanted. Just to defend the honor of scam artists who wanted to force you to pay extra to browse the web or play media.

i want and use the version of windows they enforced, and i'm sorry you use badly built apps that crash when they don't have the correct and glorious united states version of windows

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

nah, we got bought by AOL because we were hosed, AOL just made the end more degrading

You don't miss those good old days of reskinning the browser to match the homepage, just in time for the homepage to be redesigned and have to do it all over again?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I was a little kid when Netscape went down the drain. I vaguely remember Navigator becoming bloated and including AIM when it was renamed to Communicator or something like that. But what actually happened to make Netscape "be hosed"?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

mozillian?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Truga posted:

i want and use the version of windows they enforced, and i'm sorry you use badly built apps that crash when they don't have the correct and glorious united states version of windows

Turns out media playback and html rendering are pretty core functions of an OS and removing it is stupid as gently caress. Unsurprisingly, anti-American regulators don't realize or care about that.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

EssOEss posted:

I was a little kid when Netscape went down the drain. I vaguely remember Navigator becoming bloated and including AIM when it was renamed to Communicator or something like that. But what actually happened to make Netscape "be hosed"?

Netscape tried to turn it into corporate groupware and it all went to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Netscape also pushed hard to incorporate their own proprietary solutions to lock in developers and users because at the time everyone was crowing about how soon the OS and native applications wouldn't matter at all and everything would be via web browser. then whenever people decided to not use whatever they were pushing they came up with horrible performance and stability killing hack jobs to make Navigator "work" with whatever actually became standard.

iirc a page which had the gall to use both tables and css would almost guarantee a crash. that was solvable by disabling css which was accomplished by disabling JavaScript (because the browser rendered css by translating css into JavaScript and executing that).

• Locked thread