Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Benne posted:

It really is incredible. I think sometimes us Internet fans try too hard to go against the grain, so we search for flaws or excuses that don't exist just so we can say "durr not actually that good." And there's nothing we hate more than a long title reign, so we can bitch about "burying talent" or "cleaning out the division."

Yet Okada's been so good in every match, and done such a great job representing the company as champ, that those complaints fizzled away. We really are witnessing greatness in front of our eyes.

It's really quite refreshing. I mean about the closest thing I've heard to a complaint about Okada is "Man I wanted Naito's title reign to last a little longer" but even then it's usually qualified with,"But holy gently caress Okada is so good as champion..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just catching up with the Yuji Nagata show now, did any one gif KUSHIDA making that kid cry? That's got to be funnier than the time Liger did it. At least that time had the excuse that a strange demon man took the kid from her father's arms and started swinging her around, this kid just burst into tears when she saw KUSHIDA.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Reminder that the jr tag rounament starts tomorrow

Road to POWER STRUGGLE
October 23rd at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Tomoyuki Oka and Syota Umino vs. Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi and Leo Tonga)
Taguchi, Liger, TMIV and ACH vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Despy, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
CHAOS (Toru Yano and Hirooki Goto)vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, and Katsuya Kitamura vs. Kota Ibushi, Juice Robinson, and David Finlay
CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, and YOSHI) vs. L.I.J (Naito, EVIL, and SANADA)
Super Jr Tag Tournament Rd 1:KUSHIDA and Hirai Kawato vs. Roppongi 3k
Super Jr Tag Tournament Rd 1:Dragon Lee and Titan vs. L.I.J (Hiromu and BUSHI)

\

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thauros posted:

Reminder that the jr tag rounament starts tomorrow

Road to POWER STRUGGLE
Korakuen Hall

CHAOS (Toru Yano and Hirooki Goto)vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, and Katsuya Kitamura vs. Kota Ibushi, Juice Robinson, and David Finlay

\

mother fucker update the op

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Reading the HOF stuff in this weeks Observer and Okada pretty much is 100% first ballot Hall of Famer in 2019. Still hard to believe he's only 30

I'm guessing it's 2019 specifically because that's the first year he's eligible - how does eligibility actually work for the Observer HoF?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm guessing it's 2019 specifically because that's the first year he's eligible - how does eligibility actually work for the Observer HoF?

Need either 15 years of in ring experience or be over 35 and have 10 years of experience. Okada's first year for eligibility is in 2019.

Naito is also on the ballot this year for the first time this year and while he's been a HOF the last couple of years he feels like he shouldn't get in quite yet especially due to how his first main event push ended.
Also Randy Orton is up this year which will probably be the candidate that has the most debate for reasons

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

STONE COLD 64 posted:

mother fucker update the op

yeah, sorry about that. I was without a decent computer for 6 weeks and admittedly just got lazy after that.

Power Struggle tour info:

Road to POWER STRUGGLE
Korakuen Hall

Road to POWER STRUGGLE
October 29th at 5:30 EDT
Korakuen Hall

Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi and Leo Tonga)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto and Toru Yano) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka)
CHAOS (Will Ospreay, YOSHI-HASHI and Beretta) vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Marty Scurll, and Chase Owens)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA. and Hirai Kawato vs. Kota Ibushi, Dragon Lee, and Titan
CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, Rocky, SHO, and YO) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon
Super Jr Tag Tournament Rd 1:Jushin "Thunder" Liger and Tiger Mask IV vs. Suzuki-gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado)
Super Jr Tag Tournament Rd 1:Taguchi Japan (Ryusuke Taguchi and ACH) vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi and TAKA Michinoku)

The semifinals will be on the October 30th Korakuen and the Finals on Power Struggle, but no matches for those outside the tournament and the three title matches have been announced yet.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 22, 2017

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

quote:

I know what I'm watching as soon as I get home tomorrow...

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Yeah the main event should be great assuming it gets a bit more time in that slot.

If anyone wants to see Nakanishi putting in his effort for the year, the main event against Nagata was pretty darn good (same as last time they headlined a show).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Need either 15 years of in ring experience or be over 35 and have 10 years of experience. Okada's first year for eligibility is in 2019.

Naito is also on the ballot this year for the first time this year and while he's been a HOF the last couple of years he feels like he shouldn't get in quite yet especially due to how his first main event push ended.
Also Randy Orton is up this year which will probably be the candidate that has the most debate for reasons

Yeah, I'd give Naito a few more years to see how this current run plays out. If he wins the belt from Okada and keeps up his momentum that will be a huge boost to his resume.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

guys still in their prime should never be on HOF ballot

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

So Davey Boy Jr. saved a life today

https://twitter.com/DBSmithjr/status/922280092310499328

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

guys still in their prime should never be on HOF ballot

i think the easiest way would be to make 40 the minimum age regardless of experience. that's enough time to get a fair grasp of almost anyone

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Meanwhile Minoru Suzuki is furious at him for telling people about it and making it look like Suzuki-gun cares

(just kidding, Suzuki himself recently tweeted about how he promised to deliver a kid's piggy bank to Takayama's medical fund, the big softie.)

https://twitter.com/suzuki_D_minoru/status/921696674094788608

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Was he out jogging in a onesie?

I mean, I guess it is Calgary in late October.

(Good job Davey!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Takayama: That's nice, a kid asked you to do this?
Suzuki: No I saw a kid with one and chopped the poo poo out of him and took it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
watching the 10/21 Road to show (the Nagata one) and the 3rd tag match with Titan/Dragon Lee/Tiger Mask/Liger vs Taguchi/KUSHIDA/ACH/Kawato is loving ridiculous on paper but actually fuckin dope, worth a watch

has there been any storyline justification for why KUSHIDA is taking Kawato under his wing? I know he's there to take the pin but I'm still curious.

I kinda don't know what to expect from the tournament itself. KUSHIDA & Kawato are definitely going out round 1, but otherwise I dunno. Roppongi 3K just won the titles and could win the whole thing to look strong as hell, or maybe even lose against Taguchi & ACH in the final to get revenge?

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 23, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is that the first match that just finished? Looked like I timed it just right.

Edit: I love how frantic the crowd gets at the notion of a guy losing his mask.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 23, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't think anybody else is watching this, but when you do I hope you understand and accept that Roppongi 3K are really loving great.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

watching the 10/21 Road to show (the Nagata one) and the 3rd tag match with Titan/Dragon Lee/Tiger Mask/Liger vs Taguchi/KUSHIDA/ACH/Kawato is loving ridiculous on paper but actually fuckin dope, worth a watch

has there been any storyline justification for why KUSHIDA is taking Kawato under his wing? I know he's there to take the pin but I'm still curious.

I kinda don't know what to expect from the tournament itself. KUSHIDA & Kawato are definitely going out round 1, but otherwise I dunno. Roppongi 3K just won the titles and could win the whole thing to look strong as hell, or maybe even lose against Taguchi & ACH in the final to get revenge?

I feel like Kawato is due for an excursion soon.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think anybody else is watching this, but when you do I hope you understand and accept that Roppongi 3K are really loving great.

they really are and I can't wait for their match with Hiromu & BUSHI. I also can't wait for Hiromu to finally have his chance to talk on the microphone without it being snatched from him.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

I feel like Kawato is due for an excursion soon.

he's so young (only 20) and there's so much mileage out of him being the loveable fiery underdog I don't think there's much of a need to rush it. Kitamura's the one they shouldn't be loving around with

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Why haven't they sent Kitamura out for his excursion yet? He's already in his 30s. I'd love to see him in CMLL throwing people around

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Why haven't they sent Kitamura out for his excursion yet? He's already in his 30s. I'd love to see him in CMLL throwing people around

He only debuted 7 months ago. I suspect he'll head out in 2018.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
naito reaching back to tag in sanada was great. naito's so freaking cool.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Just to put it in perspective how young Hirai Kawato is, if he's booked for Wrestle Kingdom 34 in the year 2040 he'd be a few months shy of his 43rd birthday. That's a couple years younger than Makabe is now and obviously even more for the third gen guys.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The main event was really good. The Hiromu/Dragon Lee Forever War is my favorite thing, and the glee with which they destroy each other brings me joy.

Also, Titan’s Corner lariat where he slips through the ropes to the floor is the most goofy thing.

Just a glorious exhibition of luchadors doing a NJPW main event tag. Cancel the tournament and just make these two teams fight in both semis, and the final, and they both win.

Also Kawato’s Ascension is a delight and I’m sitting here like “gently caress me, he could end up better than Okada.” I couldn’t remember which Young Lion was which at first and I named him Milhouse. And now he’s my favorite guy. Go Milhouse.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

About 12 hours until WK tickets go on general sale. At most 14. Keep your heads on a swivel.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

harperdc posted:

About 12 hours until WK tickets go on general sale. At most 14. Keep your heads on a swivel.

Do you know what the deal is this year? I went through ticketbo last year but the NJPW website was promising more information soon on buying tickets internationally but it never came out.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
yeah i'm nervous i'll gently caress this up and get lovely seats

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Raeg posted:

Do you know what the deal is this year? I went through ticketbo last year but the NJPW website was promising more information soon on buying tickets internationally but it never came out.

http://ticket.pia.jp/pia/ticketInformation.do?eventCd=1751218&rlsCd=001

This is the best that I can figure out

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah NJPW was directing online sales to this site, before 30 minutes ago sales were only to NJPW fan club members.

At least on this site, all of the floor seats were gone inside two minutes. I had to settle for “1F Stand” seats (baseball infield for Tokyo Dome), which should be fine.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

I was able to reserve 2 Arena A tickets on the Lawson site. But I need to pick them up from a Lawson by 10/28. I live in America. I am probably not gonna get these tickets.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://www.njpw1972.com/16228

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

harperdc posted:

Yeah NJPW was directing online sales to this site, before 30 minutes ago sales were only to NJPW fan club members.

At least on this site, all of the floor seats were gone inside two minutes. I had to settle for “1F Stand” seats (baseball infield for Tokyo Dome), which should be fine.

ditto, i just went with 1F stand
i figure arena b would have a bullshit view even with my tall gaijin head

poo poo, now i have to go get them from will call that day, don't i

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

checksin posted:

ditto, i just went with 1F stand
i figure arena b would have a bullshit view even with my tall gaijin head

poo poo, now i have to go get them from will call that day, don't i

Depends on what you agreed to for ticket delivery!

I’m going by 7-11 tonight to pay for and pick mine up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God I wanna go again, I can't believe we're getting so close to WK time again. :hellyeah:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
extremely jealous of all y'all doing WK trips! Please take notes so when I go later in 2018 (maybe around the G1?) I have ideas of things to do :)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 25, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

extremely jealous of all y'all doing WK trips! Please take notes so when I go later in 2018 (maybe around the G1?) I have ideas of things to do :)

WK is an easy trip, just a few train changes and I’m there :v: I should have already posted something of a guide in here (check history), that may help, but otherwise the only addition is that it’ll be muggy as poo poo in Tokyo around G1 time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

harperdc posted:

WK is an easy trip, just a few train changes and I’m there :v: I should have already posted something of a guide in here (check history), that may help, but otherwise the only addition is that it’ll be muggy as poo poo in Tokyo around G1 time.

Yep, your guide is linked in the OP and highly recommended.

abraham linksys posted:

You won't run out of things to see and do in Tokyo alone, let alone the rest of the country. Do yourself a favor and get out of Tokyo when you can though, I only managed to spend time in Tokyo and Kyoto and both cities are incredible, and I wish I'd seen more of the latter.

• Locked thread