Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Shifty Pony posted:

(because the browser rendered css by translating css into JavaScript and executing that).

what the gently caress I'm eating here dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Also thank god we're finally past the era of Mountain View, CA technology companies trying to turn a web browser into an entire operating system.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mrmcd posted:

what the gently caress I'm eating here dude.

JavaScript based style sheets were almost a standard

https://www.w3.org/Submission/1996/1/WD-jsss-960822

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

Turns out media playback and html rendering are pretty core functions of an OS and removing it is stupid as gently caress. Unsurprisingly, anti-American regulators don't realize or care about that.
lmao

none of those things are removed from any windows install. the only difference is media player (the app, not any media playback components) isn't installed, and i get to choose which browser to install as default. ie is still installed, just not default.

if your apps crash because a really bad media player isn't installed, your apps are terrible and you should feel bad.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

what a bullet we dodged, this looks completely awful

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

so many more missed xss opportunities

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I once sold a copy of Netscape to some sailors because "I know it's a free download but we have to buy it"

Also one time I really messed up Windows and IE wouldn't open but I was able to grab Navigator from ftp.netscape.com and I felt like a hacker in a movie.

Those are my Netscape stories.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

what a bullet we dodged, this looks completely awful

eh, it's only a matter of time before this is reality. there's already web pages where the entire html is little more than <script src=js/webpage.js>, see new youtube design for example. it's only a matter of time now before bitcoin mining javascript isn't even going to be noticeable because every page will eat all your resources.

vvvv: you're an idiot hth

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 22, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Truga posted:

i want and use the version of windows they enforced, and i'm sorry you use badly built apps that crash when they don't have the correct and glorious united states version of windows

I'm lolling hard at your brainwrongs that make you want to have no media capability out of the box, despite paying no less money for your license. Seek help.

What N edition does, in fact, is remove a bunch of codecs and media api functions that don't actually use windows media player at all, because the eu decided having such things was unfair competition for some company thats sold those things lol

fishmech fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 22, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Truga posted:

eh, it's only a matter of time before this is reality. there's already web pages where the entire html is little more than <script src=js/webpage.js>, see new youtube design for example. it's only a matter of time now before bitcoin mining javascript isn't even going to be noticeable because every page will eat all your resources.

vvvv: you're an idiot hth

nice meltdown over you buying an objectively broken version for no reason.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol, you think i buy windows

e: fishmeched again :cripes:

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 22, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Truga posted:

the only possible reason to have it is buying it, because anyone smart enough to pirate windows would pirate a fully functional version, not the arbritrarily crippled version that only exists to meet a foolish EU ruling on a technicality.

no one is ever supposed to be stupid enough to use N editions.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

its stupid to use k or n versions but it's also stupid to care about what version people use

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Shifty Pony posted:

i now hate the 90s

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Truga posted:

never reply to wikipedia stymie

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Raere posted:

it's also stupid to care

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pikavangelist posted:

i now hate the 90s

it is really the only proper response to that decade in tech. also all other decades.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shaggar posted:

Turns out media playback and html rendering are pretty core functions of an OS
:goonsay:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

Turns out media playback and html rendering are pretty core functions of an OS

i too remember active desktop

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at my last job i used the N version of win 7 the whole time because gently caress windows media player and it never broke anything ever so idk what y'all are talkin' about

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

i miss being able to set blue ball machine as my desktop and then regret that a few minutes later :sigh:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

That unclosed paragraph tag in their first example is upsetting me.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Yet it is perfectly valid HTML5 (minus the missing doctype tag), which is a nice affirmation to the cause of eternal backward compatibility.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

flakeloaf posted:

only barely

who does this? who has the technical ability to set up something like this, but not the sense to know why it's a bad idea? I'm hoping one of you has had a user that did this and can talk about it some, it's baffling to me

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

LordSaturn posted:

who does this? who has the technical ability to set up something like this, but not the sense to know why it's a bad idea? I'm hoping one of you has had a user that did this and can talk about it some, it's baffling to me

i assume it's more "has the technical ability to set it up, but can't convince the boss demanding it to be set up that the idea is bad"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

setting up a webcam is easy (as evidenced by this obviously default-password-enabled one), and those keys are probably from vendors so it's not like they know why it's important not to do this, it's just "that dumb thing $vendor makes us do, and we only have one of them but the whole dev team needs access!"

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

only barely

this owns

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

only barely

that's amazing ive got the same combination on my luggage

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Browsers.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaggar posted:

Turns out media playback and html rendering are pretty core functions of an OS and removing it is stupid as gently caress. Unsurprisingly, anti-American regulators don't realize or care about that.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Was MS making that argument seriyospost the reason for active desktop?

:aaaaa:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nah, active desktop was to compete with pointcast and marimba castanet

the web browser was necessary for the operating system because of e.g. the sidebar in explorer windows

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

at my last job i used the N version of win 7 the whole time because gently caress windows media player and it never broke anything ever so idk what y'all are talkin' about

did you install alternate codec packs and media player classic and other such stuff on that pc. because that would typically fix the missing features.

but also lol that you're equally brokebrained to intentionally install a broken version of windows rather than maybe delete a shortcut to a program you don't use.

pseudorandom name posted:

nah, active desktop was to compete with pointcast and marimba castanet

the web browser was necessary for the operating system because of e.g. the sidebar in explorer windows

also because of how modern windows help system is HTML rendered by a normal rendering engine. and a bunch of other stuff like that.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh no, it's the shaggarmech

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Was MS making that argument seriyospost the reason for active desktop?

:aaaaa:

no, hes making a joke. the html renderer in windows is used all over the place in the os and any applications that use native browser controls. windows media is the same deal where the core libs can be used by apps to do encoding/decoding/rendering and then are also used by the native media controls that applications can use.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
that is, shaggar, until they found out how lovely it was and wrote a lightweight ui framework (called directui iirc) to replace the fatty piggy sluggish web ui embeds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah html is not a good language for UIs, but in the xp days when this came about it was all over things like help and whatnot.

its still used in any native browser controls. you can switch to using alternatives, but they're universally worse.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
oh no actually the reason was that for backwards compatibility reasons you could only have 32768 ui resources (windows, buttons, toolbars etc.) and 32768 graphics resources (bitmaps, fonts, etc.) at once and web views were a single big flat image that took a gigantic amount of ram and cpu but! very few system resources. the office ui (toolkit was called opus iirc while the dialog windows used a toolkit called simply Forms) was the same deal

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 23, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Ah, ok. My memory of the late 90s is a little fuzzy and it doesn't seem impossible that MS would have done something like that and been all "See? Irremovable from the OS! :v:"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Ah, ok. My memory of the late 90s is a little fuzzy and it doesn't seem impossible that MS would have done something like that and been all "See? Irremovable from the OS! :v:"

what's with the av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

duTrieux. posted:

what's with the av

it's the lovely newbie av

• Locked thread