Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You ever eaten capers from a jar? IM OLD FLEEEEEET

Saaaame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Our middle child doesn't handle transitions particularly well (what child does?), and in particular, dealing with the "it's time for pajamas" transition is hard.

This evening, while he was once again insisting that it was still clothes time, he took matters into his own hands: he grabbed all of the pajamas out of his drawer and walked over to the dirty laundry basket (that I had just thrown his dirty clothes in) and tossed all of them in. After all, if he doesn't have any pajamas to wear, he must be able to wear clothes, right?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Today, my four year old daughter entered my bedroom and (proudly? worriedly? it was hard to tell) announced that she is growing hair on her legs. (She was not.) She insisted I look and then immediately turned around and left, closing the door behind her. I'm still not totally sure what to make of this.

It's ladies, me, and my prepubescent son around here. I'm the only one with leg hair. It was hilarious and perplexing.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I ate (and still eat) sugar lumps straight out of the bowl in fancy tea places.
I'm not putting one in my tea (I'm not un sauvage, Marie) so I should be able to eat one without it being greedy, right?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I was visiting my sister, and had a chat with my nephew.

Nephew: Do you want to see my Halloween costume?
Me: Of course

Nephew comes out in an adorable mouse costume.

Me: Aren't you a cute little mouse!
Nephew: I'm not cute! I am scary! SCARY! *stomps his foot*

After changing back into normal clothes

Nephew: Are you not scared of mouse? Aunts are supposed to be scared of mouse!
Me: No, I'm not scared of mice, I think they are cute.
Nephew: Then you are a WITCH! *storms outside*

Sorry, buddy, I didn't mean to ruin your super scary costume!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
My nephew did the opposite! He came in in his bat costume, and I went, "Eek! A bat!" and he said, "Don't worry, I'm a nice bat."

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

When my daughter was two we made very flimsy bat wings that she could wear, and she was the happiest kid for a few minutes. After pretending to fly inside for a bit she pointed out our sixth floor apartment window.

"Want to fly...... outside?"

She looked at my wife and me with excitement in her eyes, as she was clearly envisioning herself flying through the sky. We explained that she couldn't do that, and her smile vanished as her arms drooped to her side. She looked down at the floor and spoke softly.

"All done bat wings."

I still feel like poo poo for not being able to break the laws of physics somehow and let her fly for real :smith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

U-DO Burger posted:

When my daughter was two we made very flimsy bat wings that she could wear, and she was the happiest kid for a few minutes. After pretending to fly inside for a bit she pointed out our sixth floor apartment window.

"Want to fly...... outside?"

She looked at my wife and me with excitement in her eyes, as she was clearly envisioning herself flying through the sky. We explained that she couldn't do that, and her smile vanished as her arms drooped to her side. She looked down at the floor and spoke softly.

"All done bat wings."

I still feel like poo poo for not being able to break the laws of physics somehow and let her fly for real :smith:

you are the best human :3:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

Well, you could have let her fly for real without breaking the laws of physics... From the sixth floor she'd have got about two whole seconds worth! :pseudo:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I found this in a newspaper from 1989.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

What kind of rear end in a top hat names their kid Von

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

U-DO Burger posted:

What kind of rear end in a top hat names their kid Von

Fock yooou.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pastry of the Year posted:

Santa eat the cacke

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I look at kids' bad phonetic spellings literally all day and this still managed to crack me up.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I look at kids' bad phonetic spellings literally all day and this still managed to crack me up.

Seeing it typed out somehow makes it that much funnier.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

why does the 1980s newspaper look like an 1880s newspaper........

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Having my 5 year old nephew staying over, I find myself occasionally trapped in the spiralling insanity of a kid making you play along in a game they're making up.

*takes pack of dinosaur memory cards* "You have to um... close your eyes and... walk behind me... and then I put cards down... and you have to... guess which ones they are!"

How do I win this??

*presumably puts on sunglasses* "You don't."

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Powaqoatse posted:

why does the 1980s newspaper look like an 1880s newspaper........

Before the 90s, fonts were limited and expensive to create. Printing process was just beginning to utilize digital technology. In general, it was the same basic method used in the 1880s.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Short u

plus n

apparently makes UNT

and one of our target phonics today was C

and the kids, they don't always listen when you correct their pronunciation

or ask them to slow down

so sometimes

you are on camera

and there is a tiny child

such a sweet little kid

and they just

they keep yelling it

because they don't want to be corrected and there's a horrible lag

just keep going

oval office oval office oval office oval office TEACHAAAAAA CUNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 99% sure I'd go to jail if I was working with any other nationality.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Goober Peas posted:

Before the 90s, fonts were limited and expensive to create. Printing process was just beginning to utilize digital technology. In general, it was the same basic method used in the 1880s.

Sure but it's spelt like 'twas the oldentymes also. It's def not children type spelling

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Short u

plus n

apparently makes UNT

and one of our target phonics today was C

and the kids, they don't always listen when you correct their pronunciation

or ask them to slow down

so sometimes

you are on camera

and there is a tiny child

such a sweet little kid

and they just

they keep yelling it

because they don't want to be corrected and there's a horrible lag

just keep going

oval office oval office oval office oval office TEACHAAAAAA CUNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 99% sure I'd go to jail if I was working with any other nationality.

lmbo

can i vote oval office-yelling kid for president?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

lmbo

can i vote oval office-yelling kid for president?

He was tenacious and charismatic, but took outside input poorly. I would advise against young "Yoyo," as he called himself.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

He was tenacious and charismatic, but took outside input poorly. I would advise against young "Yoyo," as he called himself.

eh, hes better already

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Powaqoatse posted:

Sure but it's spelt like 'twas the oldentymes also. It's def not children type spelling

I'm not sure what experience you are speaking from but IME yes, that is how kids might phonetically spell out some of those words while knowing the correct spelling of others

for content- 6-7yos
The past couple of weeks I was too tired in the morning to put my contacts in so I'd been wearing my glasses to school. Then one morning I woke up and felt untired enough to wear my contacts. A few kids noticed early in the morning ("Ms. Bravo, where are your glasses?") But one boy opted not to say anything until 20 minutes before the end of the school day, when he commented, "Ms. Bravo, are you wearing 'tacts?"

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Powaqoatse posted:

I don't think they had Nintendos in the 1800s?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Definitely didn't have roemot centrols either.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Roro posted:

I don't think they had Nintendos in the 1800s?

They were founded in 1889.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

So Trump, basically.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nephew's home again, but on Sunday at about 4.30am he tried to convince me it was totally time to get up. See, it was still dark because it's fall and he could hear birds (he couldn't), and when he opened the curtains he could see lots of people already up and about (he couldn't).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"Why is Michael Jackson black?"

(my son is obsessed with Thriller and has asked to see pictures and videos of Michael Jackson dancing and singing, then sprung this one on me)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"Bibs! My punkin is broken! The stick is on the side and not on top!"
*rolls the child's pumpkin from its side to its base*
"Yay! You fixed it! You're a punkin master!"

I'm still not sure if the kid was legitimately confused or not.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Children are easily confused but also wildly entertained by absurd attempts at humor only they understand, so you could go either way with that.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Guyver posted:

A high sodium diet isn't necessarily bad for you if you're already healthy, active and drink plenty of fluids.

I've gone through about a tablespoon of additional salt a day for as long as I can remember and my sodium's on the low side of normal. Bodies are weird.

Dr. MonkeyThunder has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Oct 30, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

A paraphrased (for clarity) story from a little girl:

KID: "This is the zoo. I see an elephant."
ME: "I don't see an elephant. Can you show me, please?"
KID: *draws elephant* "Here is the elephant. He is lovely."
ME: "Yes, he is! What is he doing?"
KID: "He goes OUT of the zoo, and he wants to find bananas-" *draws a bunch of bananas* "-and he goes to the store and the people say NO ELEPHANT NO our store is VERY small, so he is mad and he..." *at a loss for words, begins miming a rampage*
ME: "Oh, no! He was so nice, but now he's bad!"
KID: "TEACHER HE WANTS BANANAS SO MUCH!"

ME: "What kind of animal is a lion?"
KID: *gasp* "No!"
ME: "Sorry?"
KID: "A lion is not a kind animal! It is dangerous!" :colbert:

This kid is the best. His cat ran away a few weeks ago and it broke his heart. We've been studying the differences between farm animals, wild animals, and pets. He told me last week that sometimes a cat starts life as a pet, but it goes away to become a wild animal, and then it has a baby, and the baby becomes a pet. And he's also stopped yelling NO TEACHER I DON'T SEE THE CAT and crossing it out on the slides, so I think he's improving.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ME: "Hi, guys! I'm Ms. Fleta, the new library teacher! We're going to blah blah blah not interesting stuff blah blah any questions for me?"
SECOND GRADER: "Do you watch Stranger Things?"
ME: "Yes!"
SECOND GRADER: "Is the boy a girl or a boy?"
ME: :psyduck: I figured it out, she meant Eleven.

ME: "This book is called 'A Pig Parade is a Terrible Idea.' What animals would be better for a parade?"
SECOND GRADER: "Puppies!"
ME: "Awww."
SG2: "Bunnies!"
ME: "Awwww."
SG3: "Sharks!"
ME: "B-"
SG4: "Vampires!!!"
ME: "But they-"
SG5: "POOP!"

We agreed as a group that poop would happen anyways with so many animals. The book is pretty fun, by the way. It's by Michael Ian Black.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

'A Pig Parade is a Terrible Idea.'

https://youtu.be/JlfWbxZZ7sE :colbert:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

In other news, the fifth graders have renamed Israel Kamakawiwo'ole "the magic fat man." They're not wrong, frankly.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
I've been substitute teaching for a few months now and I hear some things, man.
Literally every day I get questions or comments about how short I am or how young I look from the kids, I'm used to that. The kids always ask if I'm a teenager or if I'm "a real adult". Every once in a while I get something completely out of nowhere about my appearance, though.

A few weeks back, a kindergartner asked me "Why are you SO white?". Threw me off, especially since the girl was black so I thought she was asking me some deep question about race and I had no idea how to respond, until I realized she probably meant "white" as in "pale" since I'm pasty as a basement dwelling nerd. I think I just shrugged and said I don't know

a few days later it was Halloween and I was subbing for a 5th grade class. I wanted to dress for the holiday but I was worried I'd get mistaken for a student if I wore a costume so I just wore a tacky Halloween sweater and a cat ear handband. I overheard the kids in the hallway talking about me before they came in, just leaning in to peek at me and whispering.
"She looks like an Asian youtuber!"
"Is she Asian?"
"I don't know but she has cat ears so maybe"
:psyduck: what does that meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean

Today a 4th grade girl kept saying she was going to take me home with her and "see you tomorrow!" even though I told her I'm working at a different school tomorrow...:spooky:
Also I got lost because it was my first time in the building and every staff member I asked for directions thought I was a new student.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pasketti posted:

I've been substitute teaching for a few months now and I hear some things, man.
Literally every day I get questions or comments about how short I am or how young I look from the kids, I'm used to that. The kids always ask if I'm a teenager or if I'm "a real adult". Every once in a while I get something completely out of nowhere about my appearance, though.

A few weeks back, a kindergartner asked me "Why are you SO white?". Threw me off, especially since the girl was black so I thought she was asking me some deep question about race and I had no idea how to respond, until I realized she probably meant "white" as in "pale" since I'm pasty as a basement dwelling nerd. I think I just shrugged and said I don't know

a few days later it was Halloween and I was subbing for a 5th grade class. I wanted to dress for the holiday but I was worried I'd get mistaken for a student if I wore a costume so I just wore a tacky Halloween sweater and a cat ear handband. I overheard the kids in the hallway talking about me before they came in, just leaning in to peek at me and whispering.
"She looks like an Asian youtuber!"
"Is she Asian?"
"I don't know but she has cat ears so maybe"
:psyduck: what does that meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean

Today a 4th grade girl kept saying she was going to take me home with her and "see you tomorrow!" even though I told her I'm working at a different school tomorrow...:spooky:
Also I got lost because it was my first time in the building and every staff member I asked for directions thought I was a new student.

:3: when you start getting around 40 its somewhat entertaining to get accused of having a fake id.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"YOU AREN'T WHISTLING, YOU ARE BAD WHISTLING!"

I whistle with my tongue close to the roof of my mouth. Not sure where I picked it up.