Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Syrian Lannister posted:

Never been on a boat either, and the night sky is absolutely amazing.

But on the other hand, gently caress the ocean

Staring at the night sky at 3am in the middle of the Indian ocean is one of my few pleasant navy memories. Another one is a strip club in Panama where the girls go "it's ok to touch"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Staring at the night sky at 3am in the middle of the Indian ocean is one of my few pleasant navy memories. Another one is a strip club in Panama where the girls go "it's ok to touch"...
Josephine's?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Evil SpongeBob posted:

You didnt even have to leave Portland, Oregon for that though.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

MurderBot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHrCI9eSJGQ

30 day timelapse at sea on a cargo ship... From someone who's never really done anything boat-like, this is p. snazzy and a solid way to kill 10 minutes looking at cool weather.

note: i've never done anything boat like so I find this fascinating YMMV v :) v

To this day, my favorite PBS documentary is Carrier. It's broken up into ten parts, and follows (duh) an aircraft carrier over the course of deployment to the Middle East. It does a really great job of showing how the vastness of the open ocean affects people, for better and for worse. Whole lot of dudes either go stir crazy or find religion.

There's also an amazing amount of enlisted.txt, especially whenever the ship stops in port. I haven't watched the whole documentary in half a decade, but if memory serves, the sexual abuse prevention petty officer ends up busted for sexual assault. I was legit surprised the U.S. Navy gave PBS free access to the crew; it doesn't make the Navy look like a great place to work.

The episodes are posted up online at the PBS website, but you could probably find higher-res copies floating around the internet.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Arc Light posted:

To this day, my favorite PBS documentary is Carrier. It's broken up into ten parts, and follows (duh) an aircraft carrier over the course of deployment to the Middle East. It does a really great job of showing how the vastness of the open ocean affects people, for better and for worse. Whole lot of dudes either go stir crazy or find religion.

There's also an amazing amount of enlisted.txt, especially whenever the ship stops in port. I haven't watched the whole documentary in half a decade, but if memory serves, the sexual abuse prevention petty officer ends up busted for sexual assault. I was legit surprised the U.S. Navy gave PBS free access to the crew; it doesn't make the Navy look like a great place to work.

The episodes are posted up online at the PBS website, but you could probably find higher-res copies floating around the internet.

I know it was on Amazon Prime Video for awhile, might still be available for rent or purchase.

My favorite part was the racist white dude getting thrown out of the Navy for being a racist getting drunk as gently caress and buddying up with a black dude, then being all "there's no way I did that" when sober.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

loving stoked! Finally found a salamander on my property instead of stupid newts. Was busting an old rotten stump and saw him in the dirt. Cute little guy. Dont have a tank set up keep him long term so he's probaly going back into the stump after I show him to the kids.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

This is why I always got a good chuckle out of the 'emergency escape hatches' we had on my sub. In the pacific once you get past the coastal shelf pretty much everything is 1000+ fathoms and there is zero chance of being able to 'escape' past around 400-500 feet. The chart in the tank does list for around 600 feet IIRC but you have 15 seconds to reach the surface before you would be totally hosed by the bends.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

loving stoked! Finally found a salamander on my property instead of stupid newts. Was busting an old rotten stump and saw him in the dirt. Cute little guy. Dont have a tank set up keep him long term so he's probaly going back into the stump after I show him to the kids.

Alternatively, salamanders make pretty good cat fishing bait...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bengy81 posted:

gently caress you, you monster. Salamander are the most pure innocent of earths critters.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

bengy81 posted:

Anything that stinks makes great catfish bait.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress you, you monster. Salamander are the most pure innocent of earths critters.

But channel cats are pretty tasty!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNpY9Lc515s

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Arc Light posted:

My wife's niece served on a carrier so I showed her Carrier and yeah she did not have a great impression. There's no way in hell they'd let them be portrayed in that light now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I really liked the older BBC Sailor series. The master-at-arms in that owns bones.

You drink a man's drink and you act like a man one of the facts of life me old son

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The other thing that happens in Carrier is this 2005 equivalent of a SAPR person rapes a Seaman. She then says it was consensual because she didn't want to screw up his career. That poo poo made me turn it off for good.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just endured a 14 hour flight to Tokyo with a sinus infection. Closest I've ever come to puking on a plane.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

psydude posted:

Just endured a 14 hour flight to Tokyo with a sinus infection. Closest I've ever come to puking on a plane.

Was it one of those where your sinuses are so blocked you can feel you head start to crush the higher you get? Yeah those are great for making a big grown man cry like a babby.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

there is a skeleton inside of this baby

https://i.imgur.com/36CvzDL.gifv

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just told my boss I was going to be overseas for 6 months next year. He took it a lot better than I thought. Didn't have to resort to legal threats or anything. :toot:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

there is a skeleton inside of this baby

https://i.imgur.com/36CvzDL.gifv

That's probably the cutest thing i'm going to ever see this year...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MurderBot posted:

That's probably the cutest thing i'm going to ever see this year...

....outside of the dogge thread.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

what's one of the more easier & free movie makers for PC? Personal use, dog vids, y'know.

I don't need a ton of features. I'll pay if it's good, but I don't really need it for that much use. I always hear different things about windows movie maker? Should I just go with that?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Movie maker doesn’t exist anymore.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Movie maker doesn’t exist anymore.

er wait I think you're right I misunderstood

best free one then?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 23, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

er wait I think you're right I misunderstood

best free one then?

DaVinci Resolve. It used to be a color grading suite that cost $$$ but now it's a full editing suite and it's free since they don't have to try and make up for the cost of shipping expensive proprietary rendering cards with it (it just uses your GPU for anything more complex than basic editing).

e: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I miss movie maker. I only ever used it for basic poo poo but it worked.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I miss movie maker. I only ever used it for basic poo poo but it worked.

It was so drat nice. Simple and powerful enough to do what you need for quick movie edits.

Sucks it went away

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

LingcodKilla posted:

You didnt even have to leave Portland, Oregon for that though.

Fond memory #3 is pulling into Portland for the rose festival and watching the naked ladies on little boats on the river wave at us from 30 feet away.

Mad Dragon posted:

Josephine's?

drat, I think so. I seem to remember it was a female named club.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what's one of the more easier & free movie makers for PC? Personal use, dog vids, y'know.

I don't need a ton of features. I'll pay if it's good, but I don't really need it for that much use. I always hear different things about windows movie maker? Should I just go with that?

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

Works for editing my dumb game videos.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'm starting to get seriously frustrated with my laggy mid-tier Motorola which I bought about two years ago for no other reason than I needed a working phone ASAP, and I'm looking for some manner of android device to replace it with. Doesn't necessarily have to be the latest whiz-bang gadgetry. Anyone have experience with refurbished phones? I'm seeing refurb Nexus 6's on Amazon for about $200, and I have fond memories of my old Nexus 5.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'm starting to get seriously frustrated with my laggy mid-tier Motorola which I bought about two years ago for no other reason than I needed a working phone ASAP, and I'm looking for some manner of android device to replace it with. Doesn't necessarily have to be the latest whiz-bang gadgetry. Anyone have experience with refurbished phones? I'm seeing refurb Nexus 6's on Amazon for about $200, and I have fond memories of my old Nexus 5.

Check out unlocked Huawei Mate 9s on Amazon. I bought one to use internationally and it's been super cool. Battery lasts all day and it'll play whatever fancy games the cool kids are playing these days.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I've been happy with the two used phones I got from swappa.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You can have my spooky bones when I die.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LingcodKilla posted:

You can have my spooky bones when I die.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

This is really loving cool.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Did you know that your pet dog has a skeleton inside of him, and that skeleton is not a good boy?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
How dare you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Did you know that your pet dog has a skeleton inside of him, and that skeleton is not a good boy?

hosed up if true.

• Locked thread