Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

But why are they doing that in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're avoiding the puddle on the path.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

baquerd posted:

But why are they doing that in the first place?

The ground is lava.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
God that gif gives me flashbacks to looking after students when I taught, and how just walking down from one classroom to a computer lab was like a test for who would do the dumbest thing.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Three-Phase posted:

That reminds me: Here’s a little story about a “99-cent voltmeter”, a shopping mall’s 480V panelboard, and a double fatality and one survivor with burns.

http://www.ecmweb.com/arc-flash/case-deadly-arc-flash

I just quit a real good paying management job that on 3 occassions in 2 months wanted me to work on stuff in a 480v breaker box. The last time was after I couldn't flip it back on after that hurricane came through FL so they wanted me to check if the main leads coming in had power with a WW2 era looking multimeter. I said no lol. Also yesterday was my last day there

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fallows posted:

I just quit a real good paying management job that on 3 occassions in 2 months wanted me to work on stuff in a 480v breaker box. The last time was after I couldn't flip it back on after that hurricane came through FL so they wanted me to check if the main leads coming in had power with a WW2 era looking multimeter. I said no lol. Also yesterday was my last day there

At least you left while you're still alive.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Does Florida even have OSHA?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

http://www.wdrb.com/story/35137408/woman-who-damaged-historic-paoli-bridge-with-semi-truck-sentenced-to-jail-time

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Lol 180 days in jail because the stupid loving thing was "historic"

Also I like the detail how she had to drive truck on Christmas day

Basically I support whatever destroys the infrastructure and cities of Indiana

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
Reading that article made me nauseous, loving christ.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm always happy to see harsher punishments for reckless and dangerous operation of heavy equipment.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sockington posted:

One of my foreman insists it's a reflector in the top of his 2009 Ranger, since the bulb doesn't work. Every car/truck after 1991 had it here in :canada:

I've offered to take the two screws out to show him there's a burned out bulb, or point to other Rangers on the road with working third brake lights, but he refuses to accept he's wrong. :f5:

I'm a car toucher and once had someone ask me to look at their Nissan pickup truck cause they said the brake lights didn't work anymore. I asked if they changed the bulbs, and they insisted that wasn't the issue. Three new bulbs later and the brake lights mysteriously worked again. They had been driving for WEEKS without working brake lights by this point.

https://i.imgur.com/2tHjTDE.gifv

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'll take busted brakelights over the 10 million morons around here who burn out one low beam, and rather than pay $5 for an easily-replaced bulb, drive around with their loving high beams on so they don't get a ticket.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
People who throw HID bulbs into traditional headlight enclosures are, in a very specific and limited way, worse than Hitler.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Piggy Smalls posted:

I’ve heard this song so many times and never realized it was about suicide. Wtf.

A few years ago it was used in a car commercial. I saw it when I was at my parents' house and started cracking up because the lyrics cut out out and I started singing PINK RIBBON SCARS/ I'LL NEVER FORGET/ I TRIED SO HARD/ TO CLEANSE THIS REGRET. My mom was obviously mortified and I was losing my poo poo laughing that someone would use that in car commercial.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once a crane goes down like that the entire boom arm is toast, right?

I know that in the aftermath of this incident, they ended up scrapping all three cranes that went down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjjAI93ZkIE

:nws: language

And if you somehow read this thread and have never seen that video before, watch it through again and look very closely at the right hand side of the field of view, at ground level.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Peetown Manning posted:

Lol 180 days in jail because the stupid loving thing was "historic"

Also I like the detail how she had to drive truck on Christmas day

Basically I support whatever destroys the infrastructure and cities of Indiana

Because it's "historic" the fuckers will probably insist upon rebuilding the exact same lovely, outmoded, feeble rear end bridge instead of taking the opportunity to build a proper bridge.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My favorite is how many fireworks displays have been put to "Born in the USA," completely missing the point of the song.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Nocheez posted:

My favorite is how many fireworks displays have been put to "Born in the USA," completely missing the point of the song.

How often has it been said that Americans don't even grasp the concept of irony?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Vanagoon posted:

How often has it been said that Americans don't even grasp the concept of irony?

im permabanned poster commiestomper1776

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Memento posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once a crane goes down like that the entire boom arm is toast, right?

I know that in the aftermath of this incident, they ended up scrapping all three cranes that went down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjjAI93ZkIE

:nws: language

And if you somehow read this thread and have never seen that video before, watch it through again and look very closely at the right hand side of the field of view, at ground level.

thanks for bringing attention to that, i never noticed that thing getting so much air!

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/bigu/status/921915900038610944

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

holy smokes

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Vanagoon posted:

How many people bought Jagged Little Pill?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

VectorSigma posted:

im permabanned poster commiestomper1776

:confused: If you're saying that is who you think I am then I am afraid you are mistaken.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Vanagoon posted:

Because it's "historic" the fuckers will probably insist upon rebuilding the exact same lovely, outmoded, feeble rear end bridge instead of taking the opportunity to build a proper bridge.

You are correct. The construction underway is re-installing the same poo poo bridge.

News article

quote:

The floor of the bridge has been removed. Soon, the bridge will be hoisted onto land, where it will be rebuilt.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
They couldn't rebuild it if someone were to come along and melt it into slag with some thermite. :killdozer:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Hey, you bleed all over the knives, you bought 'em. Just drumming up business!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

I'm a car toucher and once had someone ask me to look at their Nissan pickup truck cause they said the brake lights didn't work anymore. I asked if they changed the bulbs, and they insisted that wasn't the issue. Three new bulbs later and the brake lights mysteriously worked again. They had been driving for WEEKS without working brake lights by this point.

https://i.imgur.com/2tHjTDE.gifv

If only they had someone weighing down the back of the crane.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

I'm sure the child was kept safely at bay by the tiny warning message on that traffic cone in the background.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cutco knives couldn’t hurt a fly.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Memento posted:

Well in theory it could be repaired to spec, but good luck finding an inspector willing to sign off on a crane that fell over like that. Safer to just scrap it and replace it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Platystemon posted:

Cutco knives couldn’t hurt a fly.

Several people I know are ALL about cutco knives in their kitchen, including how apparently someone will come sharpen them for free if you ever need it. I got to witness this once and was very curious to see what kind of sharpening equipment they used for this. Turned out to be the two ceramic rod setup like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lansky-Diamond-Ceramic-Turnbox/23234404 that anyone with a pulse can use themselves without waiting for an appointment. Idgi.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

for thirty dollars on amazon and thirty minutes on youtube you can get a waterstone and learn how to sharpen ANY knife on your own :eng101:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Just get a zwilling knife and a steel sharpening rod and it'll be the last knife you ever have to buy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Enourmo posted:

I'll take busted brakelights over the 10 million morons around here who burn out one low beam, and rather than pay $5 for an easily-replaced bulb, drive around with their loving high beams on so they don't get a ticket.

:lol: at that not being illegal in your part of the world.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

It probably is, just not enforced.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It probably is, just not enforced.

It's enforced when they want a reason to stop the person like if the driver is black or the passenger is black or the vehicle is the type of vehicle a black person would drive or the name it's registered to sounds black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wait til you find out about the plethora of trucks driving down busy surface streets with their "off-road only" 10 gajillion lumun LED bars lit up like a miniature sun. Which cops happily drive by on their way to nab someone doing 46 in a 45.