Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's a good thing my mom has no idea how to do this because they'd all be religious gifs.

you mean minions right

lots and lots of minions

My mom's couldn't be more perfect: snoopy, agnes, and a baby dancing. For some odd reason I find that religion and minions overlap quite a bit. Baby boomers amiright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's a good thing my mom has no idea how to do this because they'd all be religious gifs.

The GIFs of the Magi

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

pretty sure the answer is always no unless apple is still digitally signing that particular ios

They are not signed anymore. Is there not even a factory reset that doesn't auto update to the newest?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Weedle posted:

The GIFs of the Magi
:pusheen:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Serenade posted:

They are not signed anymore. Is there not even a factory reset that doesn't auto update to the newest?

A factory reset just wipes everything on whatever firmware you're on. Restoring the phone will put you on the latest firmware. Everything will put you on the latest firmware.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, there's no way to force it to an earlier version if the Apple servers don't say OK. Regardless if the iOS file is local or not.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Laserface posted:

enabling flight mode visibly turns off all three and puts a Strike through Wifi and BT.

It doesn’t on my 7 Plus

No I didn’t turn wifi and Bluetooth back on manually.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

LODGE NORTH posted:

A factory reset just wipes everything on whatever firmware you're on. Restoring the phone will put you on the latest firmware. Everything will put you on the latest firmware.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, there's no way to force it to an earlier version if the Apple servers don't say OK. Regardless if the iOS file is local or not.

Ah, that's a bummer. Thanks.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

not trying to argue with the dude: so does that mean apple is still signing ios versions then or what are they doing instead now?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

not trying to argue with the dude: so does that mean apple is still signing ios versions then or what are they doing instead now?

I'm sure they are. While Apple validates the install centrally, There's still has to be some local mechanism in place for local trust and also to prevent any kind of spoofing. And by that I mean someone using some way to redirect the validation check to their own services saying "this is OK".

I've honestly not looked too deeply into it, since my work is more into breaking protocols (mostly layer 2, 3 stuff) in interesting ways. But now I'm curious to see what kind of stuff is out there in terms of complete iOS hijacking in this way (I don't imagine there would be much since it would be pretty big news)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dissss posted:

It doesn’t on my 7 Plus

No I didn’t turn wifi and Bluetooth back on manually.

My 7 on 11.0.3

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Check out ipsw.me if you want to see exactly what is and is not being signed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

My 7 on 11.0.3

Yeah my 7plus has the same behavior.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah my 7plus has the same behavior.

I think it just remembers your last setting? So if you turn wifi and bluetooth on while in airplane mode, they will always be on when you use airplane mode. If you want them to be off when you use airplane made, just switch them off while you're in airplane mode.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

grahm posted:

I think it just remembers your last setting? So if you turn wifi and bluetooth on while in airplane mode, they will always be on when you use airplane mode. If you want them to be off when you use airplane made, just switch them off while you're in airplane mode.

I just checked and you are correct.

That's actually a pretty nifty thing in my opinion.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Putting airplane mode on kicked me off my wifi network but not Bluetooth

e: also wtf this is what I got when trying to upload the image cropped...

iajanus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 23, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am going to order an Iphone X (replacing my 5S). This thread has made me very excited for this new purchase with all of your information. I currently use an Otterbox Defender series for my phone and I am looking at getting a Defender series for the X. I generally carry my phone in my pocket at all times so I am concerned about screen scratches. I noticed that the Otterbox Defender series for the X does not include a screen protector but it "works with Alpha Glass". I thought I read that this screen is already supposed to be scratch resistant so do I even need that protector?

Also, I am open to switching cases if there is something that is better out there so any suggestions would be welcome.

Do you carry diamonds in your pocket with your phone?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

rio posted:

Do you carry diamonds in your pocket with your phone?

No, I wish I did but I do carry pens in my pocket (the exciting life of a teacher).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iajanus posted:

e: also wtf this is what I got when trying to upload the image cropped...

That’s an Awful app/Imgur API issue

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Reading up more about the iPhone X to try and come to a decision on it... so, Control Center is now a swipe from the top right, and lock screen/notifications is a swipe from the top left. What are the chances these gestures can be swapped? Reaching the top right corner in the right hand is a hell of a lot easier than the top left.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Why does my iPhone 6 now take like 5-10s for the camera to become operable after opening the app? It's just a blurred screen until it finally goes live. This is in iOS 11, didn't do it before.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Because iOS 11 is bad, OP. Everyone's phone has a bunch of unique problems, Apple is dead, RIP.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My phone has been trying to murder me in my sleep since updating to 11. Haven't slept in three weeks, not sure how much longer I can do this.

Would not upgrade again given the opportunity.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Laserface posted:

dad: so why wouldnt they just leave it as it was and then you turn wifi or bluetooth back on after you are flight mode?
me: dad I dont work for Apple but they did make a lot of really questionable changes for iOS11.

Because its annoying as gently caress being on a plane and having to reconnect your bluetooth headset, or to wifi when you toggle the airplane mode switch.

This is by far my favorite iOS11 update.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
iOS 11 buttfucked my 7 for a day or so then has been fine and now I can control my TV with the control center so everythings a-OK in mansedan-land.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

D C posted:

Because its annoying as gently caress being on a plane and having to reconnect your bluetooth headset, or to wifi when you toggle the airplane mode switch.

This is by far my favorite iOS11 update.

Considering the toggles are right next to each other and it takes about 1 second to touch both I'm curious what else in life is annoying as gently caress to you. Like, seriously, do you just spend all day raging against every tiny thing you experience?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The saddest part about the X I feel, more than the fact that I keep finding myself irrationally wanting to get one even though I know it's expensive, compromised and almost certainly going to be eclipsed by the non beta-test X2/XS, is that it's going to sell out regardless which then communicates to Apple that it's perfectly fine to sell phones for $999+. :smith:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

They are going to keep selling at that price point from now on. They see smartphones no longer as a phone but just a tiny computer.

I am having a problem with my phone (5S). Yesterday morning, I woke up and found my phone in a state as if it restarted. Also, even though I had it plugged in all night, it was at 92% battery level. This morning, I wake up as the phone vibrates and it restarts. When I enter the passcode, the battery level is at 9% (had it plugged in all night and started at 31%) which then drops to 5% and then 1 percent in less than 30 seconds even though I did nothing with the phone. It is now charging fine.

Anyone else having something similar?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Just so everyone is clear about airplane mode...

In iOS 11 it changed to remember your preferences of what to kill in airplane mode.

By default, airplane mode kills cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth. If you never do anything different, it’ll work like it always did.

Some people find it helpful to leave BT and it WiFi on in Airplane mode. If you’re one of those people, enable Airplane mode, then enableBT and or WiFi. Then turn airplane mode off.

Next time you go into airplane mode, you’ll notice the things you enabled last airplane mode will not get killed.

As someone above explained, this is great for things like BT headphones or Apple Watch. Now when I go into Airplane Mode, those things don’t get interrupted.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Just so everyone is clear about airplane mode...

In iOS 11 it changed to remember your preferences of what to kill in airplane mode.

By default, airplane mode kills cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth. If you never do anything different, it’ll work like it always did.

Some people find it helpful to leave BT and it WiFi on in Airplane mode. If you’re one of those people, enable Airplane mode, then enableBT and or WiFi. Then turn airplane mode off.

Next time you go into airplane mode, you’ll notice the things you enabled last airplane mode will not get killed.

As someone above explained, this is great for things like BT headphones or Apple Watch. Now when I go into Airplane Mode, those things don’t get interrupted.

So what you're saying is that it'll have indeterminate and different behaviour for the same toggles on different devices with no indication that it'll do one or the other. It also has a 50/50 chance of either working the same way as it always has or totally differently, never mentioning to the user that anything has changed.

Such a courageous and logical decision.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah it’s a good logical change I’m not sure what the problem is? Airplane mode now does what you want it to from a kill-all button to a just kill cellular.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 23, 2017

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

iajanus posted:

So what you're saying is that it'll have indeterminate and different behaviour for the same toggles on different devices with no indication that it'll do one or the other. It also has a 50/50 chance of either working the same way as it always has or totally differently, never mentioning to the user that anything has changed.

Sorry, you’re right.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone in the upgrade program see anything different than “you’re eligible to upgrade!” And then the iPhone x greyed out on the next page?

Even though the Apple store app has the “starting 10/23...” text, I don’t see anything different in the upgrade check flow.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Laserface posted:

my 65yo dad just called to ask me if the internet had been having trouble the last few days to which I responded "I dont work for the internet but it seems to be working OK"

turns out he had unknowingly disabled mobile data on his phone because that was a button everyone was asking for instead of using the flight mode button like we have for a decade now.

me: so yeah they added that button because you can usually use wifi or bluetooth on planes now.
Dad: so why is flight mode still there then?
me: well I suppose because there is still a need to turn off all the radios at once for the few airlines that still enforce that rule?
dad: so why wouldnt they just leave it as it was and then you turn wifi or bluetooth back on after you are flight mode?
me: dad I dont work for Apple but they did make a lot of really questionable changes for iOS11.
dad: gently caress yeah they did. seeya.

cool story

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Love too get mad about iOS.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

iajanus posted:

Steve would never have allowed this!!!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

iajanus posted:

Remember when someone got mad because they put their phone on silent at an opera or whatever but that didn’t override the alarm they forgot they’d set? And there was a big argument in the press about whether silent should override alarms or alarms should override silent? Which is ultimately an argument over whether it is worse to be embarrassed in the theatre or late for work?

This is like that. You’re right that the buttons are right next to each other. But they are also plainly visible to you, which means you were able to immediately detect that it did something you didn’t expect. So your complaint is as petty as you are saying the other poster’s is. It’s as easy for you to turn them off as it is for the other poster to turn them back on,

In a time of increased access to WiFi and Bluetooth on planes, should airplane mode cut them off or remember your preferences? Each answer has good reasons going for it. Apple has to make a call. They chose the one that remembers past behavior. It’s not perfect but it’s reasonable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

No, I wish I did but I do carry pens in my pocket (the exciting life of a teacher).

FYI, the trend I noticed with otter box is they are now selling their defender series with no screen protector (going back to before iPhone it always had a screen protector). I think it’s a pretty straight forward reason of so they can sell you a screen protector.

There’s always a debate on here of whether you should get a screen protector or not, or what case, so I’ll leave it at this: the X glass is the same as all other iPhone screens. I would def get a case either way, personally having a case is the big difference, so while otter box will defend better I don’t know if it’s as big of a difference as some people think.

life proof (owned by otterbox) came out with a much slimmer case (screen protector separate) that’s worth looking at if you really want a more durable option.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Who cares about the lives of the rest of the people on the plane gotta have my fancy watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Airplane mode is the only thing keeping planes in flight. Apple should be more careful with human life’s at stake.