Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'd rather be dead in California than in loving Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Duckbox posted:

Fresno is bigger than Sacramento, but its metro area is about a million to Sacramento's 2.2 mil.

Meaning Fresno isn't bigger. Municipal boundaries are decided in a pretty arbitrary fashion, so its best to look at metro area stats or urban area stats. Fresno is half the size of Sacramento.

Duckbox posted:

Sac has way more of a "big city" feel.

Yeah, because it's bigger lol

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

California. A short story.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is this from the California version of The Onion or something

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Badger of Basra posted:

Is this from the California version of The Onion or something

No, it's from the Palo Alto Daily, a free paper in the peninsula that has a lot of FYGM people whinging about parking and bike lanes.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Isn't that the place that went out of there way to waste water during the drought?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Panfilo posted:

No, it's from the Palo Alto Daily, a free paper in the peninsula that has a lot of FYGM people whinging about parking and bike lanes.

max zorin did nothing wrong

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

drilldo squirt posted:

Isn't that the place that went out of there way to waste water during the drought?

I didn't hear anything about that, though people were pretty pissed off when they took so much effort to voluntarily reduce their water usage then Big Pistachio ends up guzzling far more aqua cola than any residential area could hope to waste for a fraction of the cost on their part.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Rah! posted:

Meaning Fresno isn't bigger. Municipal boundaries are decided in a pretty arbitrary fashion, so its best to look at metro area stats or urban area stats. Fresno is half the size of Sacramento.

Yeah, because it's bigger lol

Why are you repeating what I said but being a snarky rear end in a top hat about it?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

b0lt posted:

Why would you live 100 miles away when you could live in Washington and not pay income tax?

The idea is to give a benefit to companies who have Californian employees who telecommute from a decent distance, not giving a benefit to the employee beyond, "telecommuting only requires you to wear a shirt, pants are optional." (among other things) In that way, ideally it decreases traffic congestion with fewer people commuting, as well as allowing people to live in a variety of places in California, thus decreasing housing strain.

I do a lot of telecommuting and see a fair number of my coworkers doing things on-site that they could be doing from just about anywhere - and most of our consultant employees don't even live in the state anyway.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

The only good thing about Fresno is that it's "close" to Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks.

Also, CEO's/Execs want to live in the Bay Area and demand in person-meetings a lot, so only back office stuff will ever go to the Central Valley. Ever.

I sure hope it isn't "ever", since computer touchers telecommuting seems like a reasonable short-term solution to housing and traffic hell in the Bay Area.

I get it though. My wife is a paralegal and some of her colleagues cut 100% WFH deals and moved out of state. They get poo poo-talked around the water cooler and passed over for raises and promotions all the time just because they don't have the face time with partners at the firm.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As they should.

Five minutes of real time is worth an hour on the phone and . . . gently caress if I know how many e-mails. A million or more?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

drilldo squirt posted:

You’re probably thinking of Alamo

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Shbobdb posted:

As they should.

Five minutes of real time is worth an hour on the phone and . . . gently caress if I know how many e-mails. A million or more?

No, and anyone who believes this is not someone I want to spend five minutes with.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shbobdb posted:

No need for that kind of thing. Other states are nice too. But Seattle/Bellevue area, from what I hear, is having the exact same problem as the Bay Area (albeit not as bad), for the exact same reason.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Shbobdb posted:

The best post in this thread.

2nd best.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Other states are nice too.

Mods?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Duckbox posted:

If high speed rail ever happens, the Valley could get a lot more connected.

I stopped paying attention to it when I stopped commuting from SR a few years back, but what's been happening with the high speed rail? Is it still spinning its wheels super hard or is it actually going?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They're building viaducts and undercuts in Fresno. Not sure if any rails have been laid yet, though. The HSRA's YouTube channel puts up updates every now and then, like this one, with a rockin' soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcolR9Gs2QY

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I stopped paying attention to it when I stopped commuting from SR a few years back, but what's been happening with the high speed rail? Is it still spinning its wheels super hard or is it actually going?

There's a lot of nimbying about it in LA county at least. I figure there's a lot of "planning meetings" so that people aren't chaining themselves to th worksite because of My Equity.

Also Trumpy probably will kill whatever federal monies are going it's way, so look forward to the Tesla Supertraingine making its way up and down CA in 2035.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

There's a lot of nimbying about it in LA county at least. I figure there's a lot of "planning meetings" so that people aren't chaining themselves to th worksite because of My Equity.

Also Trumpy probably will kill whatever federal monies are going it's way, so look forward to the Tesla Supertraingine making its way up and down CA in 2035.

I feel like the NIMBYing will die down if they complete sections of the rail and those central valley areas gain a boon for being more connected with SF. It's harder to make those arguments stick when you see the benefits other groups are getting that you aren't. What matters is that it's happening in the places it can. It'll never stop the people braying like mules about the cost because they don't understand public works projects as being a net positive in every way to where they happen, generally.

Also that video was way less cringe than I thought it'd be, thanks.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

There's actual construction work going on in the Valley right now, which means building a bunch of bridges and viaducts around the Fresno area to get the really difficult building out of the way, so that when they go back and do the comparatively easier job of laying down track, it'll go super faster since all the bridges are already built. But there's still two pairs of tunnels that'll connect Gilroy to Merced that'll go across a fault line and under a lake that need to be drilled.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

There's actual construction work going on in the Valley right now, which means building a bunch of bridges and viaducts around the Fresno area to get the really difficult building out of the way, so that when they go back and do the comparatively easier job of laying down track, it'll go super faster since all the bridges are already built. But there's still two pairs of tunnels that'll connect Gilroy to Merced that'll go across a fault line and under a lake that need to be drilled.

Uh, is that a good idea? I feel like that's a bad idea. If the fault line shifts wouldn't it break that entire section of rail?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Maybe they could have the sections that go over fault lines be made of rubber or something?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Maybe they could have the sections that go over fault lines be made of rubber or something?

The new high speed Slip'n'Slide would be pretty sweet in the summer.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I bet the train could do pretty sick jumps if there were sudden dimension changes from fit ground shifting!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Panfilo posted:

I bet the train could do pretty sick jumps if there were sudden dimension changes from fit ground shifting!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Long Beach is real mad about higher density, god forbid people be able to afford to live an hour away from LA.

http://www.presstelegram.com/2017/10/20/long-beach-city-planners-go-back-to-the-drawing-board-after-series-of-boisterous-town-halls/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Uh, is that a good idea? I feel like that's a bad idea. If the fault line shifts wouldn't it break that entire section of rail?

Tunnels crossing active faults are a solved problem. We just leave room for stuff to move as much as we think is necessary.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Looks like the assembly is dusting off SB-562 this week. Might be about time to call your reps again.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Thanks for the heads up! Streaming now:

http://www.calchannel.com/live-webcast/

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

FYI, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities is a left-leaning think tank founded by a bunch of ex-Carter admin people who started it to dunk on Reagan and point out that the Laffer Curve is a load of poo poo.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I sure hope it isn't "ever", since computer touchers telecommuting seems like a reasonable short-term solution to housing and traffic hell in the Bay Area.

I get it though. My wife is a paralegal and some of her colleagues cut 100% WFH deals and moved out of state. They get poo poo-talked around the water cooler and passed over for raises and promotions all the time just because they don't have the face time with partners at the firm.

Yep. I only left Sunnyvale for Sac 8 years ago because in my company's IT (for a large dumb slow organization) we only needed face to face project meetings once or twice per week and they were in either Pleasanton or Oakland and most of the other folks were calling into Webex from other places in the country. The last time they re-did the offices our tiny assigned cubes were removed for "hotel" spots and then last year those hotel spots got removed so now you have to go in and try to weeze a conference room (which are never available) so there is even less reason now to even show at all.

If you are really good at your job and independent you are okay going in once per week and showing your face and by being very much available 24/7 - but you get hosed when the yearly restructuring occurs and the new VP has no idea who the gently caress you are and why are AREN'T SITTING ON THE FLOOR WITH EVERYONE ELSE IN THE DEPARTMENT! ...and yeah, harder to get or keep a manager level gig when all the VP's you'd report to want to see you in person and discuss shady cover their rear end poo poo all day long.

I'm old now though and don't care anymore. gently caress you, pay me to leave. :smith:

IMO the entire HS Rail pitch should have been:

1. Fix San Jose to Sac Amtrak (Cap Corridor). It still runs at 1865 speeds and is stuffed to the rafters now.
2. Run San Jose to Fresno through Altamont right down the side of the goddamned freeway.
3. Make commuter parking better in places like Fairfield and Tracy where you can jump on.
4. Run the LA line right down highway 5 the way the first suggestion by the Euro consultants had it. You can guess what billionaire farming corporations shut that poo poo down immediately.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

4. Run the LA line right down highway 5 the way the first suggestion by the Euro consultants had it. You can guess what billionaire farming corporations shut that poo poo down immediately.

Agribusiness and the fact that the I-5 alignment bypasses every major population center in the Central Valley.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Weembles posted:

Agribusiness and the fact that the I-5 alignment bypasses every major population center in the Central Valley.

The biggest cities in the central valley, Buttonwillow, Kettleman City, Los Banos, and Tracy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
whatever 99 is better anyway

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should continue the tradition and put the rail line equidistant between I-5 and 99.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Weembles posted:

I get that and also that it devolved into every crappy little city like Atwater fighting to have a "servicing" depot etc so they could get a piece of it.

I think the point of those original proposals was to just get the train on the most efficient and fastest path to LA?
In theory, someone in Fresno could have just driven the first hour to get to highway 5 at Los Banos, park in a nice big lot, hop on the train, and then be in SJ in 35 more minutes.

Also Tejon Ranch won't let them go through the grapevine, hence the detour out to basically Edwards AFB and Apple Valley,etc.

It all seems a huge troll at this point like it was designed to fail and be hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Weembles posted:

Yeah, i take the 5 across the valley several times a year and it's loving empty from Lost Hills to Santa Nella (and the few towns along the way charge an extra buck for gas). Following i-5 only makes sense if you don't give a gently caress about serving the millions of people who live along highway 99.