Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Fartbox posted:

Borderlands looked like poo poo, graphically and gameplay-wise. Just awful

Bioshock wasn't that good, it had a cool concept about an underwater city. Gameplay was turd and you fought the same like 3 enemies for the whole game. Turd.

Bioshock 3 wasn't very good either. Weird and lovely story with mediocre gameplay. I did like the disney princess you got as a companion but the rest was TURD

Borderlands had a charming art style and Borderlands 2 had funny writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

No, you are wrong.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fartbox posted:

Bioshock 3 wasn't very good either. Weird and lovely story with mediocre gameplay. I did like the disney princess you got as a companion but the rest was TURD

The only thing unpopluar about this opinion is generously praising the gunplay as mediocre. Nobody likes Bioshock3.

vvv Major game "Journalists" will give a 8/10 to any festering stillborn abomination as long as it's an AAA title. When was the last time you saw them give a 3/10 to a major new release, even if the player base shat all over it the second it was released?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 23, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Serephina posted:

The only thing unpopluar about this opinion is generously praising the gunplay as mediocre. Nobody likes Bioshock3.

BioShock Infinite, Reviews

9/10
GameSpot

9,4/10
IGN.com

94%
Metacritic

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look man, in 2017, do I need to spell out games journalism being a worthless venue for shills to stroke off corporate masters in exchange for review copies?

Bioshock:Infinite received good reviews from big magazines and everyone who played the game agrees that it’s overdone and dry.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gamergaters devolved into racist and sexist garbage nearly instantly, but they weren't wrong that games journalism is crap and would greatly benefit from an overhaul.

Of course games journalism has always always been crap. Ifyou're over the age of 13 and not using critical thinking about glorified toy ads... Well your parents and community dropped the ball. Hard. And blaming some women you don't like is the height of pathetic.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So apparently I have to bring up yet another actual unpopular opinion:

I liked Bioshock Infinite!
Maybe it was because I marathoned through the other 2 Bioshocks that I was totally sick of the underwater theme and how libertarians are stupid hypocrites and shooting racists in a flying city felt like a breath of fresh air. I also liked the gunplay and how you could zoom around the map using rails. Too bad the devs had no idea what game they wanted to make so it was a confusing mess and it just shat itself near the halfway point.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 are way better RPGs than anything Bethesda has made.

This is true, that is why Bethesda is not making RPGs. They never really were.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

The girls in Overwatch are hot and if they were real I'd ask them out on a date

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

mind the walrus posted:

Gamergaters devolved into racist and sexist garbage nearly instantly, but they weren't wrong that games journalism is crap and would greatly benefit from an overhaul.

Of course games journalism has always always been crap. Ifyou're over the age of 13 and not using critical thinking about glorified toy ads... Well your parents and community dropped the ball. Hard. And blaming some women you don't like is the height of pathetic.

While I was growing up, PC Gamer UK (the magazine!!) was amazing. Over time, review scores began to get a bit dodgy, but the words were on-point, so I guess it was a kind of malicious compliance. Most of them moved on to found Rock, Paper, Shotgun which is still probably the best review site out there, even if I don't really bother with reviews these days generally.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fartbox posted:

The girls in Overwatch are hot and if they were real I'd ask them out on a date

The world is full of real girls, my friend. Ask some out and they will date you! I believe in you and I know you will be happy some day!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

The world is full of real girls, my friend. Ask some out and they will date you! I believe in you and I know you will be happy some day!
Many will even dress up as girls (or guys) from Overwatch if you date them and ask nicely.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Screaming Idiot posted:

That makes no sense, idiot

Real girls are smelly and talk too much

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fartbox posted:

That makes no sense, idiot

Real girls are smelly and talk too much

But so would Overwatch girls if they were real

Except for the centaur robot I guess

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL yeah imagine trying to have a real conversation with Tracer, she’d interrupt you constantly and always try to finish your sentences and every argument would be her repeating the same things over and over every 15 seconds

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Real girls that bathe regularly smell like bliss with a heartbeat.

Jeza posted:

While I was growing up, PC Gamer UK (the magazine!!) was amazing. Over time, review scores began to get a bit dodgy, but the words were on-point, so I guess it was a kind of malicious compliance. Most of them moved on to found Rock, Paper, Shotgun which is still probably the best review site out there, even if I don't really bother with reviews these days generally.
Older EGM and Gamepro had their moments too, but in the end every single one was just an advertising vehicle with good reviews and information existing as a side effect and not the rasion d'etre. That's totally cool, because I learned what they were young enough that I took a lot of their praise with a grain of salt and how to sort-out the crap from the good.

Online reviews have basically the same problems, only with way more Op-eds from anyone willing to put the work in. That said they're super easy to ignore because it's a loving hobby and that hobby makes too much money to go away or stop being fun just because a minority is rightfully or unjustly complaining.

Then there are still so many guys stupid enough to be salty and lovely towards girl gamers for the heinous crime of being female, which doesn't make sense for so many loving reasons :negative:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0MOAfelSI

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL yeah imagine trying to have a real conversation with Tracer, she’d interrupt you constantly and always try to finish your sentences and every argument would be her repeating the same things over and over every 15 seconds

And she's stuck in time, so she'd constantly be repeating herself or trying to finish conversations you haven't had yet

Also she is a lesbian

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you're fantasising about her being real it's trivial to also fantasise about her being straight

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think kinda sorta liking Dragon Age 2 is probably my biggest gaming shame. There's quite a bit about it I don't like, but there's enough that intrigues me enough to play it on occasion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Have you ever been known to "gigglesquee"?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I cannot for the life of me finish the bioshock infinite DLC. The story has long since crept up it's own rear end and who knew getting stealth gameplay right in an FPS was hard.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bust Rodd posted:

Look man, in 2017, do I need to spell out games journalism being a worthless venue for shills to stroke off corporate masters in exchange for review copies?

Bioshock:Infinite received good reviews from big magazines and everyone who played the game agrees that it’s overdone and dry.

On Metacritic the user score is 8.6, and on Steam user reviews overall are “Overwhelmingly Positive” with recent reviews being “Very Positive”.

Now I’m sure that all those reviews are bought and paid for, because it obviously couldn’t be that people did actually like the game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Have you ever been known to "gigglesquee"?

Always.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I think criticism of Bioshock 3 is understandably a bit overcooked because it's a massive triple A title, with concomitant massive budget and expectations. The game itself was generally solid and polished because of said budget and massive team, but there are so many niggles and things that could have been done better that they all sort of come together to poison the experience.

People looking for a colourful environment to shoot people in, with a mock-deep plot, won't have been remotely put off by the game. And that's most of the audience in FPS gaming.

Everybody I know who's played it has a sour taste in their mouth about it for one reason or another, but almost all of them completed it regardless. For me, I hated the way the difficulty channelled you into min-max and had almost no latitude for creativity. They keep throwing you cool new tonics, but most are a waste of time. Enemies are bullet sponges and ammo is limited so you wear your headshot pantaloons and bowler hat and use the most efficient tonics.

I distinctly remember getting the power Undertow (or w/e it's called), some kind of Kraken-y power like 85-90% of the way through. And the weakest level just knocks people over. So then maybe it's better to just play through on easy and mess around with all the powers, but then there's no challenge whatsoever, which I don't really enjoy either.

Don't give me cool powers if half of them are just balanced to be trash, game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vegetable posted:

It's wrong to compare action RPGs to turn-based RPGs imo. The central experience is so different. One basically tests your dexterity and the other your brain.

Confronting mechanics like THAC0 was bigly exercise for my developing young mind and part of why I'm a world renown genius today!

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

facebook jihad posted:

The N64 was kind of a piece of poo poo that had good games. Nintendo did basically everything wrong possible in the build up towards it and survived on its branding, IPs, and some good contributions by Rare to have the modest success it did.

If anyone else came out with the equivalent of the N64 in 1996 it would be laughed at and dismissed as a joke. But that’s Nintendo for you.

If the PS1 had a standard 4 player port layout and maybe a better processor the n64 would have died

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Mass Effect Andromeda was flawed but still a good game.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Twelve Batmans posted:

It's true. Somehow my disinterest in two women kissing mixed with high-pitched panting and taco-slapping means my penis has never been inside the hole-flesh of another human being.

Oh great, now I have to take a cold shower.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Enter the Gungeon is bad, even for a roguelike. I hate it when randomized games do that "HAHA We know you got a rocket launcher as your first chest last time but this time it's a joke weapon that's useless and will keep you from getting anywhere on this run HAHA" thing.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Good soup! posted:

Space Quest is the best adventure game series

No, Monkey Island is.

And I say that as one of the leads on a Zork game.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Not sure if they count as butt rock, but both of the Fist of the North Star musou games have amazing soundtracks, some of the best tunes to punch dudes to

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VideoGameVet posted:

No, Monkey Island is.

And I say that as one of the leads on a Zork game.

Which one

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I never liked the cel shaded trend in video game aesthetics. I remember it getting really popular with Dreamcast games after Jet Set Radio, and it’s a turn off for me when I see it in a game (yeah this includes Wind Waker).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Want some rye?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

facebook jihad posted:

I never liked the cel shaded trend in video game aesthetics. I remember it getting really popular with Dreamcast games after Jet Set Radio, and it’s a turn off for me when I see it in a game (yeah this includes Wind Waker).

It feels extremely lazy and looks waxy and sterile compared to the really pretty low-res poly stuff you'd see on PSX. There was a huge influx of cel-shaded games for ps2 as well around that time and yeah it seemed so ugly by comparison.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VideoGameVet posted:

Want some rye?

Course I do

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Metal Gear Acid was cell shaded and it looked... alright. I remember it was touted as one of the ways you supposedly got around lovely graphics during the PSP/PS2 days.

Also metal gear acid was good. Strategy card games on the whole don't do as well as they should.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Plan Z posted:

Enter the Gungeon is bad, even for a roguelike. I hate it when randomized games do that "HAHA We know you got a rocket launcher as your first chest last time but this time it's a joke weapon that's useless and will keep you from getting anywhere on this run HAHA" thing.

So you hate random chance? Have you ever gambled?

The worst modern roguelike is The Binding of Isaac since it's simple as poo poo and gives you overpowered combinations every run. A chimpanzee could get through it and it spoils all of the giant manchildren who giggle at poop humor who now expect every roguelike to be a reward response simulator where you are gently guided along a ticker tape parade to the finish line.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Metal gear solid 2 is a great and fun game that gets worse the further you get. That game falls off the deep end in a way that's loving dumb.

You should play MGS2 again because its pretty amazing that what sounded like complete loving gibberish gobbeldygook in 2001 makes complete sense in 2017

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Vegetable posted:

Metal Gear Acid was cell shaded and it looked... alright. I remember it was touted as one of the ways you supposedly got around lovely graphics during the PSP/PS2 days.

Also metal gear acid was good. Strategy card games on the whole don't do as well as they should.

Acid was bad but Acid 2 was bad rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Fallout 3 is the best Fallout - the only one I bothered to finish besides the original one.