Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Most of the impact sockets I've seen are black. I always thought it was a common thing so that you could tell them apart from normal sockets at a glance.

My 15mm 3/8 drive socket is somewhere in the driver's side sill of my fiero. Every time I remember I lost it, I usually need it and it's 10pm and everything is closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

HandlingByJebus posted:

Almost all of my impact sockets are black.

I lost a ratcheting combo wrench in between the sheet metal of the hatch lid of my Z4M while installing the wing. It’s still in there :cry:

I did that with a 1/2" socket in our customer's car. Twice. In the same day.

I was using a lovely HF set and it was socket, adapter, extension, ratchet. The socket didn't really click onto the adapter and just fell off. Cue me sitting inside the trunk opening and closing the hatch trying to get the socket to roll to the opening so I could fish it out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Chrome flakes and will rattle off.

Aerospace also requires to have every tool accounted for in foam cutouts. It's a good thing.

Want expensive stuff, work on an MRI machine.

Edit: don't ever use a chrome socket on an impact. They will shatter.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Colostomy Bag posted:

Chrome flakes and will rattle off.

Aerospace also requires to have every tool accounted for in foam cutouts. It's a good thing.

Want expensive stuff, work on an MRI machine.

Edit: don't ever use a chrome socket on an impact. They will shatter.

Unless you’ve only got that size in chrome and it’s the end of the day or like a weird size you can’t get locally and take your chances, right?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just make sure you're using your safety squints.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
A couple of wraps of electrical tape should keep the shards contained, rite?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

aw gently caress, I just realized I missed the harbor freight class action :saddowns:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I make liberal use of the HF warranty on sockets and I’ve never seen one shatter.

Usually it’s just a crack and split along the sidewall. It’s not like the socket is spinning very fast when a nut won’t budge.

CloFan posted:

aw gently caress, I just realized I missed the harbor freight class action :saddowns:

Any idea when the payout will happen? I uploaded a couple grand worth of receipts.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've never seen an impact socket that wasn't black, matte, and indestructable regardless of origin.

The metric set I've used to disassemble two trucks still looks brand new, somehow has not lost the 10mm, and came from Princess Auto. I think the only way to hurt them is time and a grinder.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

StormDrain posted:

Unless you’ve only got that size in chrome and it’s the end of the day or like a weird size you can’t get locally and take your chances, right?

Yeah, and they are next to the oily rags sitting next to a kerosene heater.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
rip in piece my former face arrangement. How else was I going to get the trailer ball off?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

StormDrain posted:

rip in piece my former face arrangement. How else was I going to get the trailer ball off?

Better face then lever

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just want the record to state that yes I know it was an awful idea and I’m just glad it didn’t blow up.

It was also a bad idea when I used the same setup to take the yoke off of my transmission. I promise not to do it again until the next time I find a bit that size. I also promise photos.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
Toolup.com has 20% off Milwaukee bare tools until Monday. Coupon code is MAD20.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Katosabi posted:

Toolup.com has 20% off Milwaukee bare tools until Monday. Coupon code is MAD20.

This is great. Can someone recommend me a kit to share batteries with whatever bare tools I end up with? I'm thinking of picking up a bit driver/drill and impact driver, and whatever else you all can recommend.
I currently have no working cordless tools. Apparently all of them grew legs when I moved into my new house a few weeks ago.

I was looking at the 2 pc HomeDepot Deal but haven't pulled the trigger yet because it's not exactly a smoking deal. More like regular price and no tax.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10619820-milwaukee-m18-18v-li-ion-brushless-drill-impact-kit-189-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 19, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^Get the two battery, free two bare tool Makita promotion on Amazon, that's a killer deal for great tools.

eddiewalker posted:

I make liberal use of the HF warranty on sockets and I’ve never seen one shatter.

Usually it’s just a crack and split along the sidewall. It’s not like the socket is spinning very fast when a nut won’t budge.

Any idea when the payout will happen? I uploaded a couple grand worth of receipts.
I've cracked a socket, but it was with a standard ratchet and it was a POS old one from god knows where. Cracking seems to be the regular failure mode as far as I can tell.

I'm fifty fifty on even if I'll see my hundred odd-ish bucks from that HF lawsuit thing. I haven't heard zilch since submitting my claim if that helps.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^Get the two battery, free two bare tool Makita promotion on Amazon, that's a killer deal for great tools.

I've cracked a socket, but it was with a standard ratchet and it was a POS old one from god knows where. Cracking seems to be the regular failure mode as far as I can tell.

I'm fifty fifty on even if I'll see my hundred odd-ish bucks from that HF lawsuit thing. I haven't heard zilch since submitting my claim if that helps.

are makita and milwaukee batteries interchangeable? I was thinking about picking up a bare milwaukee tool or two at 20% off and using the batteries from whatever drill kit I get.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

are makita and milwaukee batteries interchangeable?

They are not. Battery lock-in is very much A Thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I found my old power performance b&q cordless drill a while ago, NiCad batteries were predictably ballast but hilariously my ryobi batteries fit. I bought that like 15 years ago.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

They are not. Battery lock-in is very much A Thing.

true but if you have a 3d printer there are a few designs out there for printable adapters from one brand to another

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is great. Can someone recommend me a kit to share batteries with whatever bare tools I end up with? I'm thinking of picking up a bit driver/drill and impact driver, and whatever else you all can recommend.
I currently have no working cordless tools. Apparently all of them grew legs when I moved into my new house a few weeks ago.

I was looking at the 2 pc HomeDepot Deal but haven't pulled the trigger yet because it's not exactly a smoking deal. More like regular price and no tax.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10619820-milwaukee-m18-18v-li-ion-brushless-drill-impact-kit-189-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

I picked up the Fuel M12 kit recently, well worth it. Ended up with 4 total batteries, hard case, drill, and driver for $229. Not sure if you are on reddit, but there’s a guy on the tool forum that cuts great deals.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

savesthedayrocks posted:

I picked up the Fuel M12 kit recently, well worth it. Ended up with 4 total batteries, hard case, drill, and driver for $229. Not sure if you are on reddit, but there’s a guy on the tool forum that cuts great deals.

That's just madness compared to what we pay in Oz. I've been really happy with my M12 kit despite paying almost twice as much and only getting 2 batteries

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, agree. gently caress I think I paid $600 for a makita drill 10 years ago and it only came with 1500mha batteries...
That said though, it's still working. Something I can't say for the ryobi hammer drill I bought as a "cheapy" for $200 5 years ago. One battery dead after 2 years, one hardly takes a charge now.

Are the chargers dual voltage 220/120v like PCs are? I think going bare skins here from the US is the best bet in Australia these days.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 20, 2017

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Haven't actually taken delivery of it yet, but someone just straight up gifted me a DeWalt DW777 mitre saw... :stare: She looks like she's been ridden hard and put away wet, but nothing a little TLC won't fix.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

slothrop posted:

That's just madness compared to what we pay in Oz. I've been really happy with my M12 kit despite paying almost twice as much and only getting 2 batteries

Not sure when you got yours, but to be fair everyone is offloading batteries right now because Milwaukee has announced the “2.0” version that will be released this winter.

Forgot to mention that OP, if you care about having the latest and greatest you may want to wait until that’s released. I have no regrets on the Fuel’s performance for my home garage needs though.

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, agree. gently caress I think I paid $600 for a makita drill 10 years ago and it only came with 1500mha batteries...
That said though, it's still working. Something I can't say for the ryobi hammer drill I bought as a "cheapy" for $200 5 years ago. One battery dead after 2 years, one hardly takes a charge now.

Are the chargers dual voltage 220/120v like PCs are? I think going bare skins here from the US is the best bet in Australia these days.

Don’t think so. The bottom says 120v, 60Hz. Output is 12v, 30A.

Same as above though, people should be offloading the current version at pretty steep discounts soon.

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 20, 2017

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Halfords 30 Piece Socket Set 1/4" for £9

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-30-piece-socket-set-1-4?_$ja=kw:drytinder|tsid:40392&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-PerformanceHorizon-_-drytinder-_-TopLink

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

thegasman2000 posted:

Halfords 30 Piece Socket Set 1/4" for £9

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-30-piece-socket-set-1-4?_$ja=kw:drytinder|tsid:40392&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-PerformanceHorizon-_-drytinder-_-TopLink

Cool, thanks.
Could make a nice xmas gift for someone

Out of interest, I've seen a few of these flat style ratchets - are they any good?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I can't imagine they are, no. I've not used the Halford's, but every flat style ratchet I've used has been utter garbage.

In good but completely different price ranged tools, KCTool Co has the Wera Koloss on sale today: $85, which is the best price I've seen on it yet.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Krakkles posted:

I can't imagine they are, no. I've not used the Halford's, but every flat style ratchet I've used has been utter garbage.

Counterpoint: I have a Gearwrench set and it's pretty great. I'd use it for more than I do, but the range of sockets it came with doesn't cover a lot of what I need.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

spog posted:

Cool, thanks.
Could make a nice xmas gift for someone

Out of interest, I've seen a few of these flat style ratchets - are they any good?

I've use flat ratchets that look exactly like that set. The forward/reverse switch is actually nicely placed, but the gear action feels like it's made of gravel and seems to have like 8 teeth.

They usually come in cheap small sets sold at the counters of parts/tools stores as an impulse buy.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Yeah is a throw it in be boot of the car set for sure. I like 1/4 sets though as I never seem to have a whole one!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
So I just got a free Ariens ST824, that with fresh gas and a shot of ether is up and running amazingly well. The muffler was rotted out, so I figured ill order a new one. Even with the engine hot, a quick turn sheared off one of the bolts, so i sheared the other one as well and here I am with a great excuse to buy an excellent set of drill bits. As well as any other tools you guys can recommend for extracting the remnants of the bolts.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Unless you are dead set on using a bolt on muffler the exhaust port itself is threaded to take one of those screw on pancake mufflers.

Edit: It's hard to tell from the photo but if the block is made of aluminum you can use a solution of alum to dissolve the studs without damaging the threads.

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 23, 2017

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Oh hot drat, you're right. That will probably be quieter anyways.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
I think a Briggs screw on muffler will fit that. If not, I'm sure Tecumseh made one at some point.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Does anyone still in australia* sell the made in Taiwan crescent sets I keep pimping? There's some good ratchets in that.

Is this the set you've been talking about?

https://www.tradetools.com/product-range/auto-and-mechanics-tools/tool-kits/crescent-148pc-tool-set

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

savesthedayrocks posted:

That's a solid deal. Care to share your source?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Josh
sacfasteners@outlook.com
p. 916-706-3073

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
All this talk of losing tools in cars reminds me that I should attach the bracket for my trailer light socket to the receiver hitch properly with screws so I can reclaim my favorite vise grips that have been holding it in place for the last, uh, thousand miles :ninja:

(I needed to rent a trailer RIGHT loving NOW to go get Jeep parts and a lift RIGHT loving NOW, and was in no mood to lie on my back in gravel and drill holes in it overhead, so the vise grips got volunteered for the project... And then I forgot they were on there until a few days ago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
So here's my toolbox situation, and I want to fill it up. I've got a 200 something piece Craftsman in the molded case on the floor, and I could use that, just am worried that maybe I should keep that together to have something to grab quickly with all 3/8s sockets and poo poo.

So I was thinking of grabbing the HF 301 piece set. What Id like a recommendation on is socket organizers(3/8+1/2), and suggestions on laying out the drawers. Sockets and ratchets on top in those rack style organizers or just use rails? Have metric wrenches and sae in the top box long drawers

Bottom box I'm thinking a drawer for hammers, one for screwdrivers, one for pliers, then maybe the bottom for my 20v DeWalt stuff and the 1/2" air impact.