Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Midnightghoul posted:

I'm surprised that they added a fair amount of new buildings to the old world factions. Saw that Wood elves get 2-3 new ones, and Empire looks like it has roads and a lot of new landmarks.

I'm sure the others have been changed similarly

Feels like they had two different teams working on this and the WH1 Norsca update and neither knew what the other was doing, so it'll take a while to get everything sorted out, if ever.

"Weeks not months" lol. What a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gitro posted:

Delves are pretty nuts against chaos infantry lines.

DE feels like gently caress You Chaos: The Faction. No idea how they win

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Helion posted:

Does anyone have any favorite "small touches" in the game? I really love a lot of the little details. One that I have really enjoyed is when the Dark Elves win a battle and there's this building vocalization in the music that sounds like a cross between a chorus and a crowd chant at a game. Then it just cuts off. It....feels like something horrible is about to happen.

I like it how when you select a Bretonnian army using ctrl + a they shout "For Bretonnia!" or "For the Lady!" rather then the generic shouts other armies have.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sassassin posted:

Feels like they had two different teams working on this and the WH1 Norsca update and neither knew what the other was doing, so it'll take a while to get everything sorted out, if ever.

They do have different teams for them and have openly admitted it?

Mortal Empires work is older than Norsca patch

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

sassassin posted:

So how big is your hat?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did they admit that neither team knew what the other was doing, and that they were struggling to knit the two together for ME?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mortal Empires work is older than Norsca patch

ME has a whole new map, new mechanics and is in the WH2 codebase. Norsca is in the WH1 codebase. It's incredibly dangerous to an ongoing project to introduce rogue elements like Norsca. When they had to apply fixes to Norsca, they would've had to apply them to WH2 too and who knows what ramifications that would've had without loads of testing - testing that was actively conflicting with WH2 issues.

"Is this a WH1 issue, or a WH2 one? Who should triage this? Do we need to bring the other team up to speed on the codebase here so they can integrate? Oh yeah, we're two months away from shipping WH2. How about no loving way."

So yeah, any idea that it's a failure on CA's part not to bring in Norsca at this point needs some schooling on how to run a successful software company! :eng101:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Plavski posted:

ME has a whole new map, new mechanics and is in the WH2 codebase. Norsca is in the WH1 codebase. It's incredibly dangerous to an ongoing project to introduce rogue elements like Norsca. When they had to apply fixes to Norsca, they would've had to apply them to WH2 too and who knows what ramifications that would've had without loads of testing - testing that was actively conflicting with WH2 issues.

"Is this a WH1 issue, or a WH2 one? Who should triage this? Do we need to bring the other team up to speed on the codebase here so they can integrate? Oh yeah, we're two months away from shipping WH2. How about no loving way."

So yeah, any idea that it's a failure on CA's part not to bring in Norsca at this point needs some schooling on how to run a successful software company! :eng101:

All you need is some loving passion!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

sassassin posted:

Did they admit that neither team knew what the other was doing, and that they were struggling to knit the two together for ME?

this is a dumb post and you are a dumb poster

Mortal Empires is huge and good and will not be that much worse for lack of the Norse, especially considering they'll get in eventually.

At a certain point you just have to say Feature Freeze and polish up what you've got, otherwise you end up <insert latest AAA bug-ridden monstrosity of a launch>

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I'm only upset about the foundation update changes not being in; going back to the old boring skill trees will suck :(

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

At a certain point you just have to say Feature Freeze and polish up what you've got, otherwise you end up <insert latest AAA bug-ridden monstrosity of a launch>

It's almost like CA already know the consequences of this *cough*Rome 2*cough*

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Total War Warhammer 2: Surtha Ek’s Revenge

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Barent posted:

I'm only upset about the foundation update changes not being in; going back to the old boring skill trees will suck :(

My plan is to keep playing the Vortex campaign until some of that stuff goes in. Plus, Wolfenstein 2 comes out and that'll be great too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Helion posted:

Does anyone have any favorite "small touches" in the game? I really love a lot of the little details. One that I have really enjoyed is when the Dark Elves win a battle and there's this building vocalization in the music that sounds like a cross between a chorus and a crowd chant at a game. Then it just cuts off. It....feels like something horrible is about to happen.

If you zoom in on Dark Elf walled settlements you can see plenty of cages and tables with pliers, knives, and other torture devices.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ravenfood posted:

My plan is to keep playing the Vortex campaign until some of that stuff goes in. Plus, Wolfenstein 2 comes out and that'll be great too.

Same, but finishing Divinity: Original Sin 2 instead of Wolfen 2.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Finished a Normal Helf campaign as Tyrion on the weekend. poo poo was fun, and while I understand some of the complaints about stacks spawning all up in your backfield, I didn't end up having as much of a problem with it as I thought. I ended up just having lots of walls, and a stack on homeland defense duty (which ended up becoming awesome enough to use as my final battle stack. The leader of that army was a straight up baller). Homeland defense stack was repurposed as Maritime Salvage Stack while invader levels were low.

Key standouts:

- Elf bullshit is intensely real. My armies were primarily seaboys and archers until early lategame when I finally conceded that there was just too drat much armour to deal with.
- Building tall and being friends with the rest of the island is a really good strategy. I helped out Yvresse early on and they ended up being my bulwark against Norsca until I managed to put together a crusade fleet and raze their poo poo. Not having to worry about those marauding stacks was incredibly helpful, plus only taking the phoenix province, caledor, and lothern in their entirety (plus the white tower) kept my exposed ritual surface to a bare minimum while I boated off to pester Pestilens/Morathi/Malekith.
- I never actually set foot in the southlands :sun:
- Pirates of Sartosa are a hilariously good money pinata
- The Entire Ocean are a hilariously good money pinata
- The first full stack I gave Tyrion to go a-maraudin' with ended up being the one he ended the game with (more or less). Tyrion, a High Mage, Three spearmen, five seaboys, three archers (the less-armour kind), two ellyrian reaver archers, two silver helms with shields, two regular silver helms, and a single eagle claw brought most of the island to heel, razed the northernmost Norscans, and rampaged through northeastern/eastern naggaroth, clowning keith until he confederated under Morathi for protection (who was then summarily clowned on). It was pretty hilariously outdated by the last couple battles, but still shockingly effective.
- The aforementioned high mage was amazing and completely made up for my units' oldness - I really like the elves' MO of substituting magic for real artillery. Fights with Malekith/Morathi were hilarious, because as soon as they flew into range they were hit with overcast Vortex (?) - overcast Arcane Unforging - the missile spell I forget the name of, all while being pelted by my vet 9 archers/seaboys. Later, I brought in a combat-maxed noble on an eagle, who helped with that last sliver of health. The phoenix spell was also great (when I didn't try to aim it parallel to a wall :downs: ), although I just realized that I never overcast it :cripes:
- silver helms suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Thought of enemy cav and died.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

sassassin posted:

Literally four weeks.

And they've been completely open about the Norsca update not being in Mortal Empires yet.

I mean ME is just going to keep on being updated for years, who cares if absolutely everything isn't in yet? At least we can start start throwing all (but one) factions together pretty much straight after launch. I was honestly expecting it to be one of those things that slips and slip and slips....

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Finished a Normal Helf campaign as Tyrion on the weekend. poo poo was fun, and while I understand some of the complaints about stacks spawning all up in your backfield, I didn't end up having as much of a problem with it as I thought. I ended up just having lots of walls, and a stack on homeland defense duty (which ended up becoming awesome enough to use as my final battle stack. The leader of that army was a straight up baller). Homeland defense stack was repurposed as Maritime Salvage Stack while invader levels were low.

Key standouts:

- Elf bullshit is intensely real. My armies were primarily seaboys and archers until early lategame when I finally conceded that there was just too drat much armour to deal with.
- Building tall and being friends with the rest of the island is a really good strategy. I helped out Yvresse early on and they ended up being my bulwark against Norsca until I managed to put together a crusade fleet and raze their poo poo. Not having to worry about those marauding stacks was incredibly helpful, plus only taking the phoenix province, caledor, and lothern in their entirety (plus the white tower) kept my exposed ritual surface to a bare minimum while I boated off to pester Pestilens/Morathi/Malekith.
- I never actually set foot in the southlands :sun:
- Pirates of Sartosa are a hilariously good money pinata
- The Entire Ocean are a hilariously good money pinata
- The first full stack I gave Tyrion to go a-maraudin' with ended up being the one he ended the game with (more or less). Tyrion, a High Mage, Three spearmen, five seaboys, three archers (the less-armour kind), two ellyrian reaver archers, two silver helms with shields, two regular silver helms, and a single eagle claw brought most of the island to heel, razed the northernmost Norscans, and rampaged through northeastern/eastern naggaroth, clowning keith until he confederated under Morathi for protection (who was then summarily clowned on). It was pretty hilariously outdated by the last couple battles, but still shockingly effective.
- The aforementioned high mage was amazing and completely made up for my units' oldness - I really like the elves' MO of substituting magic for real artillery. Fights with Malekith/Morathi were hilarious, because as soon as they flew into range they were hit with overcast Vortex (?) - overcast Arcane Unforging - the missile spell I forget the name of, all while being pelted by my vet 9 archers/seaboys. Later, I brought in a combat-maxed noble on an eagle, who helped with that last sliver of health. The phoenix spell was also great (when I didn't try to aim it parallel to a wall :downs: ), although I just realized that I never overcast it :cripes:
- silver helms suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Thought of enemy cav and died.

To be fair, Silver Helms aren’t supposed to be anti cav, they’re medium weight anti infantry cavalry. Good for rear charges and breaking lines of Skaven slaves to hit artillery beyond without worrying as much about slingers or archers. Nice for intercepting Doomwheels, too, due to their mass. They go down like chumps to DE arrows of course.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Loremasters are really good too. Mages with some of the more useful spells that can hold their own in melee. Really their only shortcomings is that they don't get access to mounts but that just means they are well suited for perching on a wall blasting array at enemies.

Elf High magic is also really versatile too. The embedded High Mage you get in upgraded wall capitals can boost archer rate of fire or heal, both very useful in siege defense.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Junkenstein posted:

I mean ME is just going to keep on being updated for years

Have they said this?

If they make major improvements from 2 to 3 the same as 1 to 2 it'll probably better to do a fresh post-3 combined campaign rather than trying to tack on new factions/mechanics or whatever they come up with to an older system.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
This is pretty much a cash cow for them where they could do some unit packs and still make well off of the DLC

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think the Mortal Empires objectives just spelled out all the DLC, given most of the 17 cities you need to control are faction capitals.

The exceptions are Khemri, Lahmia, Kislev, Miragilano, Itza, Hell Pit, and Skavenblight.

So Tomb Kings obviously, then a Kislev and Tilea DLC, Kroak for the next Lizardman lord, and then Moulder/Skryre lords for the Skaven.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Total War Warhammer 2: Surtha Ek’s Revenge

: Chariot Harder

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ammanas posted:

: Chariot Harder

Me: gently caress you Surka Eth stop running over all my troops its not fun.

Surtha Ek: *Dragula starts playing*

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 23, 2017

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Loremasters are really good too. Mages with some of the more useful spells that can hold their own in melee. Really their only shortcomings is that they don't get access to mounts but that just means they are well suited for perching on a wall blasting array at enemies.

Elf High magic is also really versatile too. The embedded High Mage you get in upgraded wall capitals can boost archer rate of fire or heal, both very useful in siege defense.

Dude I love Hand of Glory. Very underrated little spell.

Prince Elftharionar: Hope you like arrows, vermin!

Skaven Warlord: Why would I like-like arrows, Elf-Thing? Oh, I see-see. You were just being a jerk.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Mordja posted:

Me: gently caress you Surka Eth stop running over all my troops its not fun.

Surtha Ek: *Dragula starts playing*

More like Yakety Sax :colbert:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

MadJackMcJack posted:

More like Yakety Sax :colbert:

This with a sole surviving Grimgor that gets repeatedly bowled over while chariots are doing donuts around him.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

jokes posted:

Lol if you don't have an army that's just a single Lord running around nabbing 10k treasure turtles and wax-sealed rations (-10% upkeep factionwide) out of a skull filled with gold or whatever.

I read this and immediately applied it to my HE game. It’s made my life so much easier.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Looks like a lot of the stuff from the Norsca/final patch (including the skill tree changes, and Chaos enhancements) hasn't been rolled into ME yet.

For example, this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5DPmqRQ_uY

Note that Chaos doesn't have the "Sack and Raze" option, none of the skills from the final patch, etc. It looks like they couldn't get that into WH2 in time to actually ship it, so I'd assume it will happen once they integrate Norsca into ME.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 23, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Gonkish posted:

Looks like a lot of the stuff from the Norsca patch (including the skill tree changes, and Chaos enhancements) hasn't been rolled into ME yet.

For example, this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5DPmqRQ_uY

Note that Chaos doesn't have the "Sack and Raze" option, etc. It looks like they couldn't get that into WH2 in time to actually ship it, so I'd assume it will happen once they integrate Norsca into ME.

THIS IS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD eexcept the time mom burned my pizza bagel

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ammanas posted:

THIS IS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD eexcept the time mom burned my pizza bagel

To be fair, it's your fault for not eating that pizza bagel fast enough.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
They've probably been working on ironing out ME for the last like 6 weeks and Norsca wasn't in the build they started with. It shouldn't take very long after ME releases to get that attached, but for now just finishing what they started in the timeframe they promised is a good plan.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The skill tree changes, enhancements and regiments of renown not being in is a bit of a bummer, hopefully they can work in that stuff quick. Probably depends on Mortal Empires being relatively bug free.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mazz posted:

They've probably been working on ironing out ME for the last like 6 weeks and Norsca wasn't in the build they started with. It shouldn't take very long after ME releases to get that attached.

Yeah, I'm sure they're working on it right now. It's just worth noting that it hasn't happened just yet. At this point, I expect they'll have it done ASAP, because they've been incredibly good with these games.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mazz posted:

They've probably been working on ironing out ME for the last like 6 weeks and Norsca wasn't in the build they started with. It shouldn't take very long after ME releases to get that attached, but for now just finishing what they started in the timeframe they promised is a good plan.

Yeah, except then you find out someone fixed a typo in a common function name, and when you're rebasing the new code to use the updated function calls but the fixed function names you accidentally misclick on a single function that's only called when Chaos razes Athel Loren. Unfortunately, everyone's so used to the typo name that it passes code review, but then QA finds the crash but it's so unlikely that it's hard to nail down exactly what's breaking it and the entire thing is delayed an extra month

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It's also worth noting that if the final/Norsca patch changes aren't in, it likely also means that the RoR stuff isn't, either. So no RoR for Wood Elves, Beastmen, or Chaos, at least initially. Once they get everything sorted out they'll likely add the rest of it ASAP.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mind you, getting the Norsca stuff in will probably require a campaign restart. Unless you didn't need to do that when Norsca came out. Oh well.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
just ignore sassassin jfc, his posting gimmick is to be hyperbolic and contrary to everything. See; mech warrior thread, fire emblem thread, rap sheet really.

Victory conditions look lame. Like, they'd all be neat across the board if it weren't for the "either be BFFs or murder everyone" clause.

Interestingly, no Araby province is on there but Khermi is.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I updated Rebanner for the WH2 banners a couple minutes ago, for anyone who was waiting for that.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Victory conditions look lame. Like, they'd all be neat across the board if it weren't for the "either be BFFs or murder everyone" clause.

Interestingly, no Araby province is on there but Khermi is.

The victory conditions have almost always been lame in Total War games, which is why I almost never finish campaigns, though I believe they're quite modable now. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't have any interest in managing more than five or six provinces at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gamerofthegame posted:

just ignore sassassin jfc, his posting gimmick is to be hyperbolic and contrary to everything. See; mech warrior thread, fire emblem thread, rap sheet really.

Link to mech warrior thread, I don't even know what that is.

The lies people tell to try to discredit me are baffling.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 23, 2017