Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

so, you know, may is being compared directly to mao at the worst stage of his regime's excesses

tbf Mao did start the Cultural Revolution as a way to take back control of the party regardless of the cost to the contry, so it's not that far-fetched of a comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

that doesnt look very confortable

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the fifth round of Brexit negotiations – The Brexit negotiations are in a “very disturbing state of deadlock” over Britain’s divorce bill but decisive progress before Christmas is still within reach, the EU’s chief negotiator has said"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that Telegraph one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

goatface posted:

Wow, that Telegraph one.

Not quite at Garrison levels of wild alternate-reality building yet but give him time he's just started

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the woes of Philip Hammond – With calls for his head from the far right of his party growing louder, the chancellor also offended Europhiles by referring to the EU as ‘the enemy’"; After Holman Hunt.

Telegraph:

Jean-Claude Juncker tells Britain: 'Thanks for the war... but now you have to pay up'

Independent:

Tories must confront leadership issue, says George Osborne; After Carlo Dolci.

The i paper:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Theresa May, living on the edge - Chris Riddell on Philip Hammond and the PM’s battle with Tory Brexiters"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Trump raises danger of war after move on Iran nuclear deal, Germany warns

Sunday Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Harvey Weinstein and Hollywood – Hollywood stars have welcomed the expulsion of disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences"

Telegraph:

Two dead in Storm Ophelia as Irish PM urges people to stay indoors

Independent:

MPs move to block Theresa May from signing ‘no deal’ Brexit

Times:

Hurricane Ophelia: Weatherman Michael Fish 'proud' of legendary gaffe on 30th anniversary of Great Storm

Evening Standard:

May and Davis to travel to Brussels for urgent Brexit talks

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on bracing for Brexit – With Storm Ophelia causing destruction and chaos in Ireland, Theresa May was trying to batten down the hatches in Brussels"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Gillray.

Times:

Red sun phenomenon 'caused by Hurricane Ophelia'

Evening Standard:

David Squires:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson and Foreign Office questions – Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, said it was now time for the EU to “get serious” about the Brexit talks"

Telegraph:

Kurdish forces abandon long-held lands to Iraqi army and Shia fighters

Independent:

Brexit talks must speed up, Theresa May and Jean-Claude Juncker say

Times:

Evening Standard:

Brexit: cabinet split as Amber Rudd calls no-deal ‘unthinkable’

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Theresa May and universal credit – Motion to pause universal credit rollout passes with 299 votes in favour and 0 against after most Tory MPs abstain"

Telegraph:

Xi Jinping: 'Time for China to take centre stage'

Independent:

Universal credit helpline charges to be scrapped; After Cruikshank.

Times:

Tory MP Tim Loughton spends an hour in the bath every morning 'just thinking about things'

Evening Standard:

Guardian Australian Sport:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Donald Trump's attack on dead US soldier – Donald Trump dug in on Wednesday as his comments about fallen soldiers spiralled into the second major dispute of his political career with a bereaved military family"

Telegraph:

Spain to impose direct rule as Catalonia leader refuses to back down

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

May pleads with EU27 for Brexit deal she can defend; Meteor shower to fill weekend skies

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
What is with The Times' obsession with "nature notes"? It does them all the time and they're rarely funny.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

It's based on an actual weekly column in the newspaper about British wildlife and what not. Brookes did one as an excuse to draw politicians as animals. It became his signature so he does it for his regular Saturday slot.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Brexit divorce talks – Emmanuel Macron has accused Brexiters of seeking to “bluff” the EU into softening its negotiating stance by championing a no-deal scenario"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After El Greco.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bit late, but also a bit cheeky of Rowson not to acknowledge the iconic John Hassall railway poster advertising the myriad delights of Skegness

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Whole comic, last panel especially, feels like it borrows a lot from that PBF strip about a guy trading his soul for a dog:

http://pbfcomics.com/comics/puppy-wish/

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"As Tories fight, Theresa May adopts a new negotiating style – Chris Riddell on the party of stable government"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Robert Mugabe removed as WHO goodwill ambassador after outcry

Sunday Times:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So did Bob draw that before or after the incident in Nuneaton?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well before.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on the standoff between Spain and Catalonia – The Catalan parliament will meet to agree a response to Spain’s decision to impose direct rule"

Telegraph:

Theresa May 'begged' Jean-Claude Juncker for help – leaked account of private Brexit dinner

Independent:

Times:

New housebuying rules will clamp down on gazumping

Evening Standard:

Trio of new Doctor Who companions unveiled

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
"Allô, I will be your sinizter French waiter for zis evening - excuse-moi, M'sieur, you are a real, 'ow d'you say? A Pup who is muckey?"

Cloud Potato posted:

Evening Standard:

That's an incredible tenouous "a thing happened".

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Allô, I will be your sinizter French waiter for zis evening - excuse-moi, M'sieur, you are a real, 'ow d'you say? A Pup who is muckey?"

"I'm sorry, what happened to the friendly Australian girl who used to work here?"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

gently caress's sake, how many more times are we going to see the 'UK and EU in a restaurant arguing over the bill, which is for billions of pounds' motif.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
About 10% as often as we'll see the white cliffs

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Brexit demands – UK business leaders have urged government to establish a transition deal that mirrors existing arrangements, or risk losing British jobs and investment"

Telegraph:

Blue Planet II: Why Sir David will never tire of his work

Independent:

Brexit: Furious EU chiefs say Theresa May dinner leaks intended to 'undermine' Brussels, in unprecedented statement

Times:

Trump bickers with soldier's widow over condolence call

Evening Standard:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
oh god now the telegraph guy is doing the "what if politicians were a series of weak animal jokes" trope, it's spreading

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/MartinRowson/status/923098337259245568

:ussr:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
But it's still another couple of weeks till the anniversary.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe they're Orthodox Marxists.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

To me, late october to early november are just one big holiday.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Except the revolutionary flag was just solid red. This is clearly a Soviet flag, and depending on the position of the hammer and sickle, and the star, it's either Lenin's flag, Stalin's flag, or Krushchev's flag.

E: Actually, it looks like it's missing the star altogether. This is... a false flag.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

I'm reminded of the Steve Bell If.. strip where Jeremy Corbyn's allotment is called a communist plot.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Brexit brigade – Academics criticised a Tory MP after he wrote to all universities asking them to declare what they are teaching about Brexit and to provide a list of teachers’ names"

Telegraph:

Xi Jinping becomes most powerful leader since Mao with China's change to constitution

Independent:

245 people jump off a bridge together

Times:

After Suggs et al.

Evening Standard:

David Davis says he ‘expects and intends’ Commons vote on Brexit deal

David Squires:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe they're Orthodox Marxists.

:golfclap:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Monsieur Marxo there would make an amazing avatar

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
ONE STEP BEYOND (capitalism)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Tory inconsistencies over Brexit – David Davis was forced to issue a statement after he appeared to suggest parliament may not get a vote on the final Brexit deal until after Britain has left the EU, saying the government “expects and intends” to let parliament have its say"

Telegraph:

Cambridge to 'decolonise' English literature (Corrections & Clarifications: nnnnnnnope!)

Independent:

Senior Republican Bob Corker feuds with Trump: 'He's 'debasing our nation'; GOP Senator Jeff Flake attacks 'reckless, outrageous and undignified' Trump

Times:

After Cadbury

Evening Standard:

JFK files: How to read one of the most-anticipated release of documents in over 50 years

Guardian Australian Sport:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

lol

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Seconded. Also the brexit texts sections should have been a bus stop. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the NHS plan to rent spare rooms – Airbnb-style scheme to accommodate patients recovering from surgery raises fears of abuse and poor care"

Telegraph:

Britain 'unable to conduct major amphibious operations' under cost-cutting plans to sell off warships

Independent:

JFK files: The key points about the 1963 assassination

Times:

Supersonic Bloodhound car in 200mph tests ahead of land speed record attempt

Evening Standard:

Spanish PM dissolves Catalan parliament and calls fresh elections

Mail:
Mac on... NHS renting rooms to ease bed blocking

'I thought you'd be pleased. We are getting £1,000 a month!'