Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Techokami
Nov 13, 2007

For use only on NTSC Genesis Systems.

Only Shallow posted:

It’s cool when people actually release their prototypes instead of hoarding them for MY VALUE. With that in mind, what hardware do I need to get to dump the bag of 80s Atari protos I’ve amassed? They’re a mix of systems including some I don’t own like 7800.
A quick glance at what's available (that is actually doable by humans) shows that getting an Atarimax Maxflash with a dumping adapter is the way to go. Plug one end into the Maxflash, slot in the proto on the other, then dump via USB. More info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

general chaos
May 20, 2001

univbee posted:

Play OG Xbox games from hard drive, emulation, media player (was useful in the pre-HD everything-is-in-Xvid days but less so now), not sure there's much else given how underpowered it is compared to cheap TV boxes today.
Don't forget access to Chihiro arcade board titles. Though that can require sourcing and soldering more ram.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I would appreciate some opinions on whether or not I did a decent job

well you seem to have forgotten the JAMMA harness and there is a computer inside it, for some reason

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

well you seem to have forgotten the JAMMA harness and there is a computer inside it, for some reason

There is a jamma harness in there. It's how the monitor connects to the vga port.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Didn’t Microsoft do all this same stuff for Xbox games back when the 360 came out too? I mean it’s cool and all, just feels like deja vu.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

There is a jamma harness in there. It's how the monitor connects to the vga port.

it was joke, I'm really just glad you used a real arcade monitor and I agree with that that guy said about flat horizontal button layouts but overall it's one of the nicest MAME cabs I've seen

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

it was joke, I'm really just glad you used a real arcade monitor and I agree with that that guy said about flat horizontal button layouts but overall it's one of the nicest MAME cabs I've seen

Oh haha thanks man. I thought you were serious because I was scratching my head with what the jamma harness is even doing any more. I think it powers the marquee somehow?

I have read that curved buttons are more comfortable but I've never felt a difference and I kinda wanted the layout to be identical to Street Fighter and Killer Instinct cabinets.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The Kins posted:

This English version was apparently produced by the original development team back in 1987. It was just never officially released for reasons never really explained, and only really given out to European computer game developers to use as reference for their ports to Amiga etc.

You can play english versions in MAME, but they are marked as bootlegs. You can also play the Virtual Console version, not sure how that works. I played a credit, it's pretty engrish-y but charming nonetheless. Good job M2.

The SMS music was so much better!

Disagree. The arcade version uses two PSG chips and is among the best music made for that style of audio.

Also, bat-tops in your mame cabinet... for shame. I guess it's otherwise kinda cool (loved TMNT AC as a kid), but it's no candy cab.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Techokami posted:

A quick glance at what's available (that is actually doable by humans) shows that getting an Atarimax Maxflash with a dumping adapter is the way to go. Plug one end into the Maxflash, slot in the proto on the other, then dump via USB. More info.

This looks perfect, thank you! I was looking too low-level, like trying to dump the individual EEPROMs and reassemble them.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Didn’t Microsoft do all this same stuff for Xbox games back when the 360 came out too? I mean it’s cool and all, just feels like deja vu.

If anything the 360 backwards compatibility is more impressive because it’s emulating x86 on a twelve year old PowerPC system, and because original XBL still existed at the time. System Link is cool but so many games only supported XBL. Let’s not pretend either like Microsoft didn’t try to kill system link tunnels with that ping cap they introduced on the 360.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I have read that curved buttons are more comfortable but I've never felt a difference and I kinda wanted the layout to be identical to Street Fighter and Killer Instinct cabinets.

For street fighter in particular, it was actually designed with a curved layout in mind. those flat layouts are USA inventions as they actually tried to make arcade games ergonomically bad so people got uncomfortable after a little while and didn't hog machines on single credits. I used to know a guy who ran an arcade service company in the late 90's and he talked about industry conferences he went to where there would be like panels on "how much comfort is too much" and how certain cab designs can IMPROVE YOUR NUMBERS, they had it down to a science. The american style cabs look kinda slapped together but there's real thought behind stuff like the angles and layouts

e: the marquee lights are powered by the 12V rail of the power supply iirc

d0s fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 23, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheManWithNoName posted:

The Xbox One's system for emulating 360 games combined the greater performance difference between the old 360 and the recent One combine to make for a much more flexible, compatible and well-performing environment to play the old games in. There's also actual dedication to keeping 360 online services and marketplace online indefinitely, since that's how all these games are actually bought and managed.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

falz posted:

I just pulled the trigger on my MV-1C + 161, it appears to have unibios 3.0. 3.3 appears to be the latest, but there doesn't seem to be a download source. Maybe ill get an EEPROM programmer if the one it comes with is flashable and try out 3.2.

Anyone have a source for 3.3, or do you have to actually send a chip to some guy in the UK to do it?

Still curious of above if anyone knows. This wiring looks a bit.. sketch.

I was shocked to discover that one can fit an MV1C into a Genesis model 2 shell. Anyone know how one can cut that much of a gaping hole in plastic and keep the edges clean?

Edit: url was wrong

falz fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 24, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

falz posted:

I was shocked to discover that one can fit an MV1C into a Genesis model 2 shell. Anyone know how one can cut that much of a gaping hole in plastic and keep the edges clean?

Going slow to prevent the plastic from melting if using a power tool and filing the edges after making your cuts.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 24, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

WTF

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

falz posted:

Edit: url was wrong

If you want 3.3 you'll have to pay for it yeah. Also that is a pretty normal wiring job for an mv1-c, if you would like to improve it you could get a neo bios masta.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
I manually soldered a DIN EPROM to an SMD ROM form factor like that making an english Marvelous SNES cart and I don't think i ever want to do it again.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFl9C4u4bOM

Anyone want to see a really nice PS2 modchip install.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

widespread posted:

Whoops I did a :retrogames:

Left has games bought from a goon, right has BnM games.

And the stick was $20, tested and worked at the shop.

I had that metal slug game back in the day

I mean, it's pretty good for a system like the ps1 that was sorta weak on 2d, but if you can play it anywhere else you should

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Just picked up a Colecovision Moon Patrol prototype cart if the sticker is to be believed.

How do people feel about crowdfunded prototype release drives? To me it feels kind of lovely like holding it for ransom. I want all of these to be in the public’s hands but would also really like to recoup what I spent on them so I can pay my rent :rip:

This particular one might just be identical to the version that’s already floating around out there but I love Colecovision so I couldn’t pass it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzmKbAh4RUY

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Moon Patrol is near and dear to my heart, so much time on the C64 version as a kid. :allears:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Only Shallow posted:

It’s cool when people actually release their prototypes instead of hoarding them for MY VALUE. With that in mind, what hardware do I need to get to dump the bag of 80s Atari protos I’ve amassed? They’re a mix of systems including some I don’t own like 7800.

:stare: Where did you get all those?

AtariAge has a prototypes forum that could probably help you get them dumped. They’re usually standard EPROMs usable in most readers but you don’t want to risk damaging them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
On the topic of prototypes, 3D Realms recently managed to remove a bunch of leak-protection from a pile of old test builds of their games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoXybuIcIKI

Not all of this will get publicly released due to legal reasons, but "efforts are being made" to get at least some of it out there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm happy to crowdfund the acquisition of prototypes by the right people but I get a little leery of people who expect compensation for dumping things they've owned for ages, or found for a pittance or whatever.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Asbrandt posted:

You've done some good stuff here but my first thought is simply... please stop subjecting human hands to flat horizontal button layouts.

Kevtris called it the Zimba 2500, compared to the NT Mini's Zimba 2000. So its more than the Mini, but it's not the true beast yet.
Notably, it's still using DRAM instead of SRAM (for cost reasons) so some high speed things are simply out of reach for it, like the SNES' SA-1 addon chip and the PC-Engine/TG16.

Not to doubt you, but can you point to where this is coming from? If it can do the SNES, it sure as hell can do a much older and less complex, 8-bit enhanced NES, the PC-Engine.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Luigi Thirty posted:

:stare: Where did you get all those?

AtariAge has a prototypes forum that could probably help you get them dumped. They’re usually standard EPROMs usable in most readers but you don’t want to risk damaging them.

That bunch I got in two batches a couple weeks ago from someone who was cleaning out their storage unit. Most of the stickers had fallen off so I was worried about erasure. I don’t have all the systems to test them directly so for some I just need to dump and pray. They said they’d been in a box for thirty years so hopefully they’re still intact.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Apparently I don't own an NES Advantage. I thought I did, but... nope.

Someone sell me an NES Advantage in good operational shape, please. I need to fix this immediately.

[Regardless of whether it's considered a good stick or not, I really like it, and my SNES Advantage is lonely]

e. Yeah I'm sure there's a ton on ebay, but I'd rather give one of you dorks money

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

XtraSmiley posted:

Not to doubt you, but can you point to where this is coming from? If it can do the SNES, it sure as hell can do a much older and less complex, 8-bit enhanced NES, the PC-Engine.

The PC-Engine/TG16 may be simple but it has a CPU that is capable of randomly accessing memory in a single bus cycle (6502 based) and clocked at double the speed of the SNES's (16 bit extended version of 6502)
Pressing DRAM into service when SRAM or ROM is expected has some surprisingly low access speed limits, since it has a pretty extensive sequence of 'preparation' cycles to access at random instead of sequentially.

The same holds true for SA-1 (which is the exact same CPU the SNES already has, just clocked 3 times faster, and some extra functions) and SuperFX.
Which to clarify, work just fine if you're using a cartridge with the chips, but a "jailbreak" firmware wouldn't be able to run ROMs needing them.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Asbrandt posted:

Fancy words.

Sure, but can you link to where Kevin Horton said so?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Anyway sorry for all the words;I don't really see too many MAME cabinets that don't say "JERRY'S ARCADE PARADISE" on them with Spiderman vs Link artwork on the sides,

Thank you for making a well done MAME Cabinet where the buttons aren't just randomly placed everywhere. It's SO refreshing to see a proper control layout.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

XtraSmiley posted:

Sure, but can you link to where Kevin Horton said so?

Unfortunately not, since it was an explanation given in an irc channel rather than more public/persistent venues.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Ed Fries Article, Finding the First Videogame ROM, as a follow-up to his previous piece: Fixing Gran Track 10

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Thanks for the pro clicks!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mace Bacon posted:

Thank you for making a well done MAME Cabinet where the buttons aren't just randomly placed everywhere. It's SO refreshing to see a proper control layout.

haha thank you! I wanted a combination of being able to play every game w/ 4 players (besides racing games) and NOT looking like a franken-panel, so I am glad to hear I did a decent job of that. I originally had separate buttons for exit and pause but got rid of them!

Ofecks posted:

Disagree. The arcade version uses two PSG chips and is among the best music made for that style of audio.

I didn't mean the Master System version had better sound/audio capabilities, I just don't like the stage 1 music that the arcade version had. The SMS one is so much more catchy to me:

Arcade stage 1 music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrKOoilx5Fo

SMS stage 1 music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwsleCKZQdk

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm looking over Retro Access and there's a lot of cables there. What's ideal if I want to hook up a SNES, Genesis 2/32X, and PS2 Slim to my OSSC? (All NTSC)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm looking over Retro Access and there's a lot of cables there. What's ideal if I want to hook up a SNES, Genesis 2/32X, and PS2 Slim to my OSSC? (All NTSC)
Buy the right cable for each and double check each console you have supports rgb.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

falz posted:

Buy the right cable for each and double check each console you have supports rgb.
They suport RGB. I'm a little unsure on what sync option to go with, and Google isn't really helping.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Casimir Radon posted:

They suport RGB. I'm a little unsure on what sync option to go with, and Google isn't really helping.

SNES and Genesis: CSYNC
PS2: Luma

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

xamphear posted:

SNES and Genesis: CSYNC
PS2: Luma
Ok, thanks.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

If you wanna learn more:
http://retrorgb.com/csync.html

If you want to explore 480p options on the PS2:
http://retrorgb.com/playstation.html (look for the RGsB stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Only Shallow posted:

That bunch I got in two batches a couple weeks ago from someone who was cleaning out their storage unit. Most of the stickers had fallen off so I was worried about erasure. I don’t have all the systems to test them directly so for some I just need to dump and pray. They said they’d been in a box for thirty years so hopefully they’re still intact.

There are trustworthy people who will dump them for you too if you don’t have the equipment.