Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
i started listening to sam harris podcast and i feel like calling myself centrist instead of left now. do i need an intervention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Rodatose posted:

one of the rhetorical go-tos for a liberal is lazily reaching for gotchas like this. I think the thought process behind it is, if the person im arguing with says something that is classified as shameful, and i announce it to everyone, then everyone around me will see it and i'll win the argument by default by shaming the other person out of the room. (I think they do this to make up for the flimsiness of their ideology)

The problem with this is that it's increasingly irrelevent. It works with fellow libs and used to work occasionally to get some conservatives to at least somewhat mask their vitriol. But the people's economic standings are increasingly tenuous and racial animus is high. Arguments based on shaming dont work when the people youre arguing with cant afford to feel or are incapable of feeling shame due to desperation driven from dire circumstances or insanity.

Libersls' rhetorical tactics seem to just bounce off many leftists, just as they do with the alt right or tea party. Maybe their frustration from their increasing impotence with both the left and right is what drives their "horseshoe theory."

I hate that virtue signaling is real

Like the racist tree story it's not about solutions it's about silencing your opponent and pretending the problem doesn't exist.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Rodatose posted:

one of the rhetorical go-tos for a liberal is lazily reaching for gotchas like this. I think the thought process behind it is, if the person im arguing with says something that is classified as shameful, and i announce it to everyone, then everyone around me will see it and i'll win the argument by default by shaming the other person out of the room. (I think they do this to make up for the flimsiness of their ideology)

The problem with this is that it's increasingly irrelevent. It works with fellow libs and used to work occasionally to get some conservatives to at least somewhat mask their vitriol. But the people's economic standings are increasingly tenuous and racial animus is high. Arguments based on shaming dont work when the people youre arguing with cant afford to feel or are incapable of feeling shame due to desperation driven from dire circumstances or insanity.

Libersls' rhetorical tactics seem to just bounce off many leftists, just as they do with the alt right or tea party. Maybe their frustration from their increasing impotence with both the left and right is what drives their "horseshoe theory."

E: if youre a liberal reading this post, it can be a real help to you. Mainly in getting across that you should try new rhetorical tactics for defending your ideology because saying "donald trump shame on u!!" a bunch didnt work for 2016 and it hasnt gotten any more effective since.
It also helps if the person you're trying to shame has any idea what you're talking about in the first place. I'm still not sure what my alleged unironic Trump quote even was. Enemy of the people? Did he say that?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Tiberius Christ posted:

I hate that virtue signaling is real

Like the racist tree story it's not about solutions it's about silencing your opponent and pretending the problem doesn't exist.
The racist tree story outlines a pretty effective problem-solving technique for combating racism: do not tolerate racism.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mercrom posted:

i started listening to sam harris podcast and i feel like calling myself centrist instead of left now. do i need an intervention

No, you're fine.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Mercrom posted:

Why?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I assume its because sam harris is trash and anybody who pays attention to him loses iq points

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is what I could find on the topic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ty-are-pleased/

I am not sure what to take from the story. Can someone more in the know expand on what is going on here.

Oh it isnt.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Kilroy posted:

The racist tree story outlines a pretty effective problem-solving technique for combating racism: do not tolerate racism.

This guy gets it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Koalas March posted:

This guy gets it

I saw nothing in that post about economic anxiety. Clearly he didn't.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I saw nothing in that post about economic anxiety. Clearly he didn't.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 23, 2017

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

I assume its because sam harris is trash and anybody who pays attention to him loses iq points

hes obviously mildly autistic but all the poo poo he and people like him gets from the left is unwarranted and i dont want to take part in it

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

nah, sam "If I could wave a magic wand and get rid of either rape or religion, I would not hesitate to get rid of religion" harris deserves every spoonful of scorn tossed his way and more. he's poo poo, an islamophobic warhawk and i would spit on him given the chance

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

nah, sam "If I could wave a magic wand and get rid of either rape or religion, I would not hesitate to get rid of religion" harris deserves every spoonful of scorn tossed his way and more. he's poo poo, an islamophobic warhawk and i would spit on him given the chance

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mercrom posted:

hes obviously mildly autistic but all the poo poo he and people like him gets from the left is unwarranted and i dont want to take part in it

whom amongst us has not demanded preemptive mass murder of any given middle eastern nation, on the grounds that in the event an islamic regime gets the bomb the "dewey eyed fanatics" will inevitably spike the nuclear football while ululating savagely

also what's a pakistan

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
sam "the only people who are treating the rise of Islam seriously are fascists" harris

sam "the bell curve is real, strong, and my friend" harris

sam "big science is keeping research into psychic phenomena down" harris

very clearly someone being unfairly maligned by the left, imo

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
ive decided. im a centrist

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRghkcEEGO8

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
congratulations

see jeffersonclay to be sorted into your appropriate House of Centrism

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ze Pollack posted:

congratulations

see jeffersonclay to be sorted into your appropriate House of Centrism

There is only one House of Centrism, and it is some sort of mix between Ravenclaw and Slytherin.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Kilroy posted:

More specifically, do not tolerate racism even when the source of that racism is offering you something you want.

The problem is the story has somehow been interpreted by many people as "if you ignore racists they'll eventually go away." That hasn't worked out so well.

Falstaff fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 23, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

There is only one House of Centrism, and it is some sort of mix between Ravenclaw and Slytherin.

nah, there's House Race Realist Uncomfortable With Poor People Sharing Their Prejudices, House As Long As The Markets Are Free, House More Women Guards, and the eternally popular House If It Doesn't Affect Me Who Gives A poo poo

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

They're Slytherins who have convinced themselves they belong to one of the other Houses.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

sam "the only people who are treating the rise of Islam seriously are fascists" harris

sam "the bell curve is real, strong, and my friend" harris

sam "big science is keeping research into psychic phenomena down" harris

very clearly someone being unfairly maligned by the left, imo

Mercrom posted:

Fishhook theory: confirmed.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mercrom posted:

I've been down this road. trust me, you want to turn left. The road down the middle ends up at the same place the road on the right, but it has a better view.

I still do like think of myself as a centrist, but every time I hear someone else say they are a centrist they end up in milkshake duck territory trying to defend certain things. see Jefferson Clay's posts for example. Sam Harris is kinda like that as well. It isn't great company despite their rhetoric seeming to be an acceptable perspective upon first glance. There are good centrists, but thats like saying there are good cops. The cops sure as gently caress aint good for most people, and it turns out centrists may not be either.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Majorian posted:

Really good interview btw.

Say what you want about TYT (I think the main show and their pop-culture stuff is utter garbage, for instance), but they have done decent interviews and their investigative reporting arms do really good work.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 24, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Say what you want about TYT (I think the main show and their pop-culter stuff is utter garbage, for instance), but they have done decent interviews and their investigative reporting arms do really good work.

what if I just can't stand jimmy dore?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
He's good in their "Aggressive Progressive" segments, because he has other people to play off of well. I can take or leave his own show.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGYOizfMpfM

Hillary forgets that the news media in the UK are a little bit more apt to challenge their interviewee.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 24, 2017

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

what if I just can't stand jimmy dore?

I'm about as lefty as can be, and I can't stand him either, so that's cool.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Kokoro Wish posted:

He's good in their "Aggressive Progressive" segments, because he has other people to play off of well. I can take or leave his own show.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGYOizfMpfM

Hillary forgets that the news media in the UK are a little bit more apt to challenge their interviewee.

Yes the people in "Welch" are more willing to question people in power lmao
Who is this kid

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I've been down this road. trust me, you want to turn left. The road down the middle ends up at the same place the road on the right, but it has a better view.

I still do like think of myself as a centrist, but every time I hear someone else say they are a centrist they end up in milkshake duck territory trying to defend certain things. see Jefferson Clay's posts for example. Sam Harris is kinda like that as well. It isn't great company despite their rhetoric seeming to be an acceptable perspective upon first glance. There are good centrists, but thats like saying there are good cops. The cops sure as gently caress aint good for most people, and it turns out centrists may not be either.

yeah you are right expecting honest discourse in politics is naive. people say dumb poo poo about sam harris but he says dumb poo poo about chomsky

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

gowb posted:

Yes the people in "Welch" are more willing to question people in power lmao
Who is this kid

Mike Figueredo, one of the larger channels and casts in the second (third?) wave of progressive/leftist news and opinion channels that became activated during and since the last general election. I think he recently rolled into the TYT network at some point, so he could get some advice/protection from YouTube's continuing "Adpocalypse", which isn't just effecting the revenues of Right Wing poo poo-heels.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

The Muppets On PCP posted:

some folks think having a trans woman play frank-n-furter could further the common misconception conflating transvestism with transgender identity that's often used by conservatives to demonize trans people
Well, there's also the issue of how problematic a portrayal rocky is, too. Frank is a bisexual rapist, murderer and generally all around nasty piece of work. Associating being trans with being a sexual predator is the kind of thing that the bathroom bills were ostensibly about.

The creator (and original riff-raff) was interviewed recently and asked about Germaine Greer and Barry Humphries, and he suprised a lot of people by agreeing with them.

quote:

“I think I agree with that. I agree with Germaine Greer and Barry Humphries. You can’t be a woman. You can be an idea of a woman.”
“You’re in the middle and there’s nothing wrong with that. I certainly wouldn’t have the wedding tackle taken off.”
“That is a huge jump and I have all the sympathy in the world for anyone who does it but you aren’t a woman.”

The rocky theater experience is ritualized sexual assault of "virgins" and has been for as as long as I've known about it (20 or so years ago), and the callbacks make explicit the implied sexual violence of the film. There's really not a whole lot that's positive about it. It's one of those things that would be really awful if created now, but nostalgia lets us look back on it more kindly than it probably deserves.

E: I completely hosed up by using a bad source that attributed quotes from three people to Richard O'Brien. He agreed with them but those weren't his words. Corrected and a better source applied. I'm really sorry.

Harik fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 24, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The year is 1932. The lefts radical vagenda of manocide has won. Former President Barack Hussein Obama continues to rule through his shadow government. The only place where freedom still exists is Russia.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Falstaff posted:

I'm about as lefty as can be, and I can't stand him either, so that's cool.

:agreed: Dore's an unbelievable moron. Lending credence to dumbshit conspiracy theories like Seth Rich being killed by the campaign, or Clinton having Parkinson's, was bad enough. Then add to that his whole, "The moon will fall into Lake Michigan before Trump gets a judicial nominee through!:downs:" horseshit, and...well, you lose credibility.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

:agreed: Dore's an unbelievable moron. Lending credence to dumbshit conspiracy theories like Seth Rich being killed by the campaign, or Clinton having Parkinson's, was bad enough. Then add to that his whole, "The moon will fall into Lake Michigan before Trump gets a judicial nominee through!:downs:" horseshit, and...well, you lose credibility.

I watched TYT pretty regularly leading up to the election, but Jimmy Dore going off the deep end really turned me off to the program. I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds him insufferable.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I watched TYT pretty regularly leading up to the election, but Jimmy Dore going off the deep end really turned me off to the program. I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds him insufferable.

Seriously. Listen to his "debate" with Sam Seder on Majority Report, if you haven't already (and can bear it).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You should absolutely get mad about our lovely politics and politicians, just don't get Jimmy Dore "my anger is melting holes in my brain" mad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dore makes sense sometimes, but he's so smarmy that I can't stand listening to him, and anyway it's pointless because his embrace of dumbshit conspiracy theories and his ignorance of how our government works (like the infamous "it is physically impossible for Trump to put someone on the Supreme Court" debate with Seder) mean that you often come away from his show less informed than you were before. Even when he's right he's not saying anything that a bunch of other people on the left aren't already saying so you're better off spending your time listening to one of those others.

E: Good to see I'm agreeing with Heck Yes Loam on something, we can all come together

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I get that technocrats have colonized your brain to the point that the only government you recognize as valid is technocratic. But that says more about you than Dore.

• Locked thread