Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That loving bridge fakeout got me good my first playthrough.

Anyway, A2 just needs to have a chat with 9S and explain what happened and everything will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh, now that we're here I can say that I like to think that 21Mom was an early manifestation of the machines' intense desire to troll 9S.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

So I thought the "logic virus" would be some sort of metaphor, perhaps for finding out what this war is really all about (i.e. nothing.) But as it stands, the people in on that particular secret seem to have held up a little better against it, if anything.

I have a guess as to how things are going to go from here and I hope it's wrong because if I predicted it than it clearly isn't Yoko Taro enough.

Do we actually know whether A2 knows that, though?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, is Jackass okay? This is important. :ohdear:

Jackass wasn't Yorha and that's all I'm saying about her possible fate.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, is Jackass okay? This is important. :ohdear:

She's not YorHa so she's probably fine.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
How many endings are just "instead of doing the plot, you walked 5 feet in a different direction: game over".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AweStriker posted:

Do we actually know whether A2 knows that, though?

Not for sure but it's pretty heavily implied.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I can't help but feel that 2B died for nothing. She didn't have to send 9S away like that. If they'd landed together, he could have treated her immediately.

But then again, that's Yoko Taro!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It was me, the one person who fell into the canyon and managed to somehow get out. Ended up making things really effective in terms of story but i know that I also seem to be the only one in existence that it worked on. At least I was rewarded for my persistence with a great sequence of events!

:smithicide:

Dont worry though, how much worse could it get...right?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nah, I got out of the canyon too. It just takes some luck to not get disabled at the wrong time.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

JT Jag posted:

I can't help but feel that 2B died for nothing. She didn't have to send 9S away like that. If they'd landed together, he could have treated her immediately.

But then again, that's Yoko Taro!

She didn’t know she was infected until it was too late. Besides, even if she did know she likely wanted him to stay away so he didn’t get infected too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

darealkooky posted:

How many endings are just "instead of doing the plot, you walked 5 feet in a different direction: game over".

About half

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Crazy train status: :getin: Rocket boosters are now lit as all gently caress! People are getting crushed in their seats and faces are getting ripped off by the sheer acceleration! If you've still got arms attached, hold on to your butt!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I still havent gotten 2 of those endings right now
Only got the 9S one by accident (and got a good laugh out of it because it flies exactly in the face of 9S's determined claim of not doing just that)

and yes I too got stuck in the crater
even when I didnt, I tried to take the route passed those flying assholes and I just spammed all my rangeatk upgrades on 2B and let the pods have at it if I ever saw one of them get near me

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

For those of you not watching the videos (why the gently caress are you doing this!?) I highly recommend this one just for 9S's reactions alone because this is right around the point where Kyle McCarley REALLY starts going full loving ham. He's just screaming as loud and as hard as his lungs/recording equipment is physically capable of handling.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I fell in the hole but I just put the controller down because by that point I was sure it was an ending.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

I can't believe 2B is loving dead :smith:

Me either. :(

I do love how utterly nonplussed A2 was at the giant structure shooting up out of the ground with no foreshadowing whatsoever.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Crazy train status: :getin: Rocket boosters are now lit as all gently caress! People are getting crushed in their seats and faces are getting ripped off by the sheer acceleration! If you've still got arms attached, hold on to your butt!
Stage one boosters are go!

thingsareswinging
Jun 2, 2013
I know I'm a sucker for limp-through-the-level-'cause-you-got-hosed-up as a conceit (that bit from Bastion comes to mind) but god drat this was a good one. Even if I did try going along the right edge of the hole the first time, which was a terrible, terrible mistake.

(I assumed the parts where it took away your jump control were scripted, and it wouldn't prevent me from jumping up ledges when I really had to. I was not right in assuming this.)

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Kavak posted:

I do love how utterly nonplussed A2 was at the giant structure shooting up out of the ground with no foreshadowing whatsoever.

I wouldn't say "no foreshadowing whatsoever"; we've seen artificial white structures underneath the city ruins before.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Earlier: "This is the last time we'll see the aliens mentioned."
Unsaid: (Too bad you'll see plenty of their ships, suckers!)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Y'know, after a while, you just get numb to this stuff.

Humanity's dead, all of our android friends and family are dead, 2B's dead, 9S is either dead or going to kill A2 before dying probably

and that's just ending C

Is there anyone left they can kill at this point for D and E? I mean, if you go after Emil, Yoko, I swear to loving gods

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I want to get off Mr. :yokotaro:'s wild ride, but even then, the pain won't go away.

Also, Nth-ing that people watch the video, because 9S really does sound like he's going to absolutely murder A2. Jesus, none of this is going to end well, is it? At least we'll still have Emil. They can't kill him off (they tried).

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

She's not YorHa so she's probably fine.

This has probably come up but I'm not totally clear on this.

So the Resistance and YoRHa are separate. They're both all robots, because humans have been extinct for thousands of years, though none of them know it except a couple YoRHa leaders. Then what's the distinction? Are they different types of android, like the Resistance is more mass-produced and YoRHa 'bots are specially made? Based on how 2B wants to get away from android signals, I assume they're all vulnerable to the virus.

Also drat that 9S voice acting was good.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Wow, never knew about the crater. Turns out me being a complete dumbass with directions paid off for once :v: (as a reference: I routinely get completely loving lost on Tuchunka in Mass Effect 2)

e: "You know Yoko-san, you probably won't ever be able to top the protagonist fake-out of Metal Gear Solid 2!"
*Yoko Taro rips out IV needle injecting pure ethanol into his veins*
"Hold my bag"

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 23, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

YoRHa are cutting edge, next-gen androids designed to kick as much rear end as possible. Same kind of thing as all the other normal androids, just newer and better.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
They're different models, i.e. they're not synched up with the server on the bunker and (probably) didn't get hit by the virus.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Y'know, after a while, you just get numb to this stuff.

Humanity's dead, all of our android friends and family are dead, 2B's dead, 9S is either dead or going to kill A2 before dying probably

and that's just ending C

Is there anyone left they can kill at this point for D and E? I mean, if you go after Emil, Yoko, I swear to loving gods

...There is and I feel like saying even that much is tempting fate.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I think the Resistance members don't have a backup system like YoRHa androids did. Now that the Bunker is gone, all androids are fully dead upon death.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

So the Resistance and YoRHa are separate. They're both all robots, because humans have been extinct for thousands of years, though none of them know it except a couple YoRHa leaders. Then what's the distinction? Are they different types of android, like the Resistance is more mass-produced and YoRHa 'bots are specially made? Based on how 2B wants to get away from android signals, I assume they're all vulnerable to the virus.

The way I understand it the resistance are just all the old type of androids. They have their own command and infrastructure. YoRHA are their own organisation with androids specifically built for war.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Jackass is a woman that blows up things recreationally, tries to murder her friends, and sells probably illegal robot drugs. Jackass was never okay.

You're right.

Jackass isn't okay.

Jackass is excellent.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Okay, so they're all androids, YoRHa is just the fancy ones that are based in the Bunker, and the YoRHa organization serves as the buffer that keeps both the Resistance hoi polloi and its own agents from realizing that the Council of Humanity doesn't actually exist. Makes sense.

Also just noticed how 9S actually interrupts his pod when telling it to mark 2B on the map. I mean, instead of the Pod stopping its line, a pause, and then 9S jumping in, like "interruptions" are usually done in video game conversations. Wish that was more common.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It doesn't hard cut to A2 fighting the androids as soon as 2B reaches them, you have to reach a certain point slightly closer to the mall entrance. Unfortunately, the androids can actually attack you, and they can knock you away from the trigger point all day if they want to. Happened to me once, just got smashed into a corner and beaten up until I got that ending.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

Nah, I got out of the canyon too. It just takes some luck to not get disabled at the wrong time.

I also got out of the hole, but it took so long and involved falling off so many ladders that by the time I got out 2B could no longer reliably handle a four-millimeter elevation change and the corruption timer ran out juuuuuuuuust before reaching the objective. That was when I quit for the night.

Narratively this section is amazing. The gameplay can eat a bag of dicks.

World War Mammories posted:

The Resistance are androids more or less of the type that have been around since the days of the Gestalt project in the backstory of the original Nier. YoRHa are all top-of-the-line new-model fightbots built specifically for killing machines. It's kind of like the difference between putting spoilers on an El Camino and driving a Formula One race car. :iiaca: That's the gist of the currently available information, anyway.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

this update posted:

Pod 042:
Alert: Virus contamination rate 90 percent.
Alert: Unusual heat generation in central nervous system. Internal combustion imminent.
Analysis: Abnormality detected in visual sensors.
Alert: Deterioration found in black box.
Alert: Damage to data backup system. Said damage will make it difficult to retain self-consciousness upon backup.

2B:
Bunker's gone... There's...no point in backing up anyway.
9...S...
My body is...
A...2...
Guess this...is it...
These are...my memories.
Take care of everyone for me...
Take care...of the future... A2...

This is one continuous escalation of :smith:.

The voice acting here is incredible. Pod 042 is reading out constant bad news to 2B in his monotone voice, and she sounds absolutely pitiful. A2's appearance gives a brief glimmer of hope, which Yoko Taro immediately uses to gut punch the player.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:munch:

So does A2 suddenly wanting to mimic 2B's hairstyle and use her sword say something about her sharing 2B's "memories"?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh, and is that announcement from the Council of Mankind foreshadowing a new YorHa or is it simply a reason for more virus infected androids to pop up around the place?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Oh, and is that announcement from the Council of Mankind foreshadowing a new YorHa or is it simply a reason for more virus infected androids to pop up around the place?

Or you could not ask for spoilers and read the LP.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ZiegeDame posted:

9S specifically said that it was as if failure itself was the point

Late, but I kinda read this as an embellishment, like "Wow, these guys sure love failing with how often they fail!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:munch:

So does A2 suddenly wanting to mimic 2B's hairstyle and use her sword say something about her sharing 2B's "memories"?

Remember we have prior instances of androids storing their memories in their weapons.

• Locked thread