Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Wonderslug posted:

The Resistance are androids more or less of the type that have been around since the days of the Gestalt project in the backstory of the original Nier. YoRHa are all top-of-the-line new-model fightbots built specifically for killing machines. It's kind of like the difference between putting spoilers on an El Camino and driving a Formula One race car. :iiaca: That's the gist of the currently available information, anyway.

iospace posted:

Please don't ask for spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:golfclap:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:munch:

So does A2 suddenly wanting to mimic 2B's hairstyle and use her sword say something about her sharing 2B's "memories"?

The game wants us 2B A2.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

END ME SCOOB posted:

If you fall in that hole, just reload. Period. It's not worth it. I don't even care if you forgot to save at the chapter break. Reload.

I actually somehow managed to recover from that on my initial run through this chapter. After what felt like an eternity of trying to get out of the loving pipe at the top. :argh:

But yeah, this is where we're firmly strapped in for the real :yokotaro:'s Wild Ride.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
*Edit* Spoiler complaints

Nier: Automata has a ton of things that make sense only in hindsight. The interaction between 2B, and A2, on the other hand, only makes sense when you finish the game and read the supplementary materials, though. It's obviously quite weird: 2B was only trying to kill A2 a while back, and here she is entrusting her memories to A2.

As to the hair cutting, it's about the symbolism of A2. Moreover, if you look at Japanese culture, short hairstyles are preferred in times of economic hardship (women have to work), and long hairstyles are preferred when there is economic prosperity (women have to get laid / married).

Charles_Kinbote fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 24, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
How about we don’t talk about material that Id will cover, at all

You dumb motherfucker

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Edit: n/m

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:munch:

So does A2 suddenly wanting to mimic 2B's hairstyle and use her sword say something about her sharing 2B's "memories"?

Jetrauben posted:

Remember we have prior instances of androids storing their memories in their weapons.

Oh man, Yoko Taro finally found a way to put weapon stories into the main plot.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I gotta say, though, it's pretty loving ballsy to put a really long intro like this, and then murder at least half of your cast including the one that's pretty much the "face" of the game. I imagine anyone who thought Yoko Taro had gone soft is reconsidering their opinion right now.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I'd be surprised if we ever meet any resistance androids from here on out anyway; weren't most of them eaten by cannibal stubbies?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Charles_Kinbote posted:

Sorry, there's a lot of great stuff that only makes sense in retrospect. It's quite typical of Asian literature; often there are loose ends and apparent plotholes that really function as foreshadowing of interesting plot points. We still haven't gotten to the point where I can explain why the Commander finally trusting 9S with the secret is tragic on multiple levels, and it's going to be quite a while before I can explain.

Or you should let the LPer do the explaining, since it's their thread?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I gotta say, though, it's pretty loving ballsy to put a really long intro like this, and then murder at least half of your cast including the one that's pretty much the "face" of the game. I imagine anyone who thought Yoko Taro had gone soft is reconsidering their opinion right now.

When my boyfriend first got to this section, the entire time he was like "lol they're not going to kill off the main character, she's on the box art" and since I know Taro's style I was just in nervous silence the entire way :ohdear:

Also count me in as a pit survivor. I ended up spending like five minutes waiting for 2B to have both arms to climb the ladder, only to have her spark and fall off multiple times. I ended up crossing the bridge at like 98% corrupted.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010
And now we know why A2 sounds like “Et tu”

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wonderslug posted:

Narratively this section is amazing. The gameplay can eat a bag of dicks.

Drakengard!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Danaru posted:

When my boyfriend first got to this section, the entire time he was like "lol they're not going to kill off the main character, she's on the box art" and since I know Taro's style I was just in nervous silence the entire way :ohdear:

Also count me in as a pit survivor. I ended up spending like five minutes waiting for 2B to have both arms to climb the ladder, only to have her spark and fall off multiple times. I ended up crossing the bridge at like 98% corrupted.

You can't end it there, how did he react when 2B bit it?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tarezax posted:

You can't end it there, how did he react when 2B bit it?

"He wouldn't, he CAN'T" up until the title card, at which point he went silent and I started laughing :allears: He never accused me of exaggerating Taro's style again

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017

Podima posted:

Or you should let the LPer do the explaining, since it's their thread?

I removed the stuff; the name is Charles Kinbote because I've been meaning to do a LP of my own, going through all the hidden references and fridge brilliance and poo poo (if you've read Kierkegaard, you'll notice how the Machine Cult segment is an inversion of Kierkegaardian philosophy, as well as a commentary on the Japanese belief that we all become Buddhas after death).

As to myself, I went through this sequence on Very Hard on Level 99 (I killed the Bunny to get to level 99 before I finished off Eve for the second time). The trick is that pod weapons doesn't go down until you end up reasonably close to the bridge. With missiles, you can kill off all the enemies from long range without having to risk getting killed by the machines. It still took like 5 hours to get all the endings, though, but I had to go through the crater.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Stop loving talking about things we haven't seen yet!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

https://twitter.com/dril/status/873264183281889281

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
That whole thing was a heck of a gut punch.

If the bunkers gone... that means no backup for 2B :smith:

That flower comment last update has me worried too.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Because I got inspired and puns and a dumb Star Trek reference that seemed somehow appropriate.

Not to be :smith:

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 24, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm not going to lie, that was physically painful to play the first time.

Even though I knew it was Yoko Taro going in, I still went in thinking "oh, yay, got 2B to A2, she's safe, right?"

then, suddenly, there was only

:yokotaro:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly, trading protagonists is something I wish more games would feel confident enough to pull off. As long as whatever upgrade effort you put into protag #1 isn't wasted.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
I can't believe her last words were calling 9S by his dorky nickname. I thought you were better than this Toobie

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RainbowCake posted:

I can't believe her last words were calling 9S by his dorky nickname. I thought you were better than this Toobie

The logic virus interrupted her. She was going to say "Nines is a stupid nickname"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

chiasaur11 posted:

You're right.

Jackass isn't okay.

Jackass is excellent.

oh yeah there's a 140% chance she's dead somewhere in the next three endings

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Stop loving talking about things we haven't seen yet!

It's in the process of being resolved at the moment, everyone chill.

Though let this be a :buddy:FRIENDLY REMINDER FROM YOUR BENEVOLENT MODERATION TEAM:buddy:: Please do not post spoilers of any sort, even in spoiler tags, in this thread as per the OP's request.

Thank you.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Danaru posted:

"He wouldn't, he CAN'T" up until the title card, at which point he went silent and I started laughing :allears: He never accused me of exaggerating Taro's style again

oh my gods that's precious

if it wasn't for how goddamn horrible it is to get there I'd say show him the Watchers playthrough in OG Drakengard just to see what happens

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Charles_Kinbote posted:

the name is Charles Kinbote because I've been meaning to do a LP of my own

No one cares, shut the hell up about stuff that hasn't been covered

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
in less stupid news, I just spent 5 minutes explaining to my wife the start of Route C and what led up to it

her response was a confused "where do you even go from there"

I'm still having problems breathing after all the laughing I did

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Now that we have A2, I wanna say that I love the multiple languages used in the credits songs and existential names.

2B - to be - English - she doesn't really know what she's doing or why, but she marches forward, following orders and protecting her sidekick
9S - nein ist - German - not existing is funny because he's a hackerman living in the virtual world. The major reference for his playstyle at first is "not 2B" because the player quickly realizes he's not as good at close range fighting.
A2 - et tu - Latin - I don't really know her story except she's the lone survivor of the previous androids, very angry at yorha command. From the name alone, I guess she's fighting to make the world a better world for other people? (Said people might just be her dead comrades getting vengeance). It's also a fun inversion of Julius Caesar, he was the one killed by many, and she's the one survivor where many of her friends die. It's also funny that she gets a haircut and picks up a new sword to look like 2B

And then we have the multiple languages for the ending song, which I'm sure all have a unique meaning and deeply interwoven philosophical meaning.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Well drat. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't this.

I'm going to bed now to be sad all night. :(

e: oh and finally got around to ordering the game earlier today. I doubt I'll play it much because I'm traditionally terrible at combat of all kinds but wanted to support the game even though Yoko Taro is a bastard who just tore out my heart.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 24, 2017

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

RainbowCake posted:

Please do not dunk on my good friend nines.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

Please do not dunk on my good friend nines.

He is going through Hard Times right now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Loss=Guaranteed Replies. I love it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The only reaction I have to this update is :wtc:

Not sure what I expected but that was not it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
9S was a YoRHa R&D experiment to make the most dunkable garbage child.

The experiment has been a horrific success.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

: Analysis: Losing a toobie is a hard thing to deal with
: Proposal: Move past and heal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Danaru posted:

9S was a YoRHa R&D experiment to make the most dunkable garbage child.

The experiment has been a horrific success.

The designer was Griffin McElroy but for personalities.

• Locked thread