Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cell phone carriers loving suck in this country.:lol:

Is T-Mobile any better about it than ATT and Verizon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
To me this is a blanket carrier thing. This should be $5, flat, at most. It’s a silly, trivial amount of data.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I agree with the gentleman who fucks real dolls.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Cell phone carriers loving suck in this country.:lol:

Is T-Mobile any better about it than ATT and Verizon?

T-mobile is exactly $10 if you're on the T-mobile One with taxes and fees included plan.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fr3lm0 posted:

T-mobile is exactly $10 if you're on the T-mobile One with taxes and fees included plan.

Which is still ridiculous.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

TraderStav posted:

I agree with the gentleman who fucks real dolls.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

fr3lm0 posted:

Yeah but what happens if you actually want to use data or place a call on T-Mobile and you’re more than 25 feet away from a tower?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

io_burn posted:

Yeah but what happens if you actually want to use data or place a call on T-Mobile and you’re more than 25 feet away from a tower?

You step out of 2007 and join 2017 where T-Mobile is actually good?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TraderStav posted:

Yea, I'm thinking I wanna go to T-Mobile at some point. I'm on WiFi 95% of the time, and otherwise, I just get ho-hum service quality from Verizon for like $90 a month. Their website just sucks a dick when it comes to conveying information, such as how much their poo poo costs.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

TraderStav posted:

I wish that was the case for me. We switched to T-Mo when they kicked off their tax included plans which seemed like a pretty good deal (and free international data is real nice) but their coverage in the Chicago area is a loving joke. Off Wi-Fi, it’s a roll of the dice as to whether or not my phone will be usable. We recently drove down to University of Illinois, taking major highways, and It was unbelievable how little service we had. A good half the drive straight up had zero service.

Inside buildings is dreadful, I have between one bar and no service in my own house. My GF just got an iPhone 8 on Verizon and our new game is “Does your phone work here?” I constantly lose. Hopping over to Verizon as well when the iPhone X comes out. (I’ve got the AT&T iPhone 7 which doesn’t have the CDMA radios to switch now.)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

io_burn posted:

I wish that was the case for me. We switched to T-Mo when they kicked off their tax included plans which seemed like a pretty good deal (and free international data is real nice) but their coverage in the Chicago area is a loving joke. Off Wi-Fi, it’s a roll of the dice as to whether or not my phone will be usable. We recently drove down to University of Illinois, taking major highways, and It was unbelievable how little service we had. A good half the drive straight up had zero service.

Inside buildings is dreadful, I have between one bar and no service in my own house. My GF just got an iPhone 8 on Verizon and our new game is “Does your phone work here?” I constantly lose. Hopping over to Verizon as well when the iPhone X comes out. (I’ve got the AT&T iPhone 7 which doesn’t have the CDMA radios to switch now.)

Strange. I know if you get off the beaten path (30+ miles off highway) it can be spotty but I just drove from Detroit to Springfield (loving horrendously boring drive. Worse than through Ohio) and never had an issue at all.

I have had issues with building penetration in Chicago but thought they fixed that with the new band.

I'll amend my statement to say unless you live in really rural areas or the handful of cities that just plain suck for TMO.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, t-mobile is fine except when it's not.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I have T-Mobile and like it but it does suck in more rural areas here in central California. It should improve with 600 MHz but no iPhones support it yet, not even the 8 and X.:(

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
T-mobile also, for the most part (the way that they downgrade video quality on like Netflix and poo poo/using coded language in regards to this as well withstanding) is a pretty cool company and do some neat things. I’ve been really happy with them.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

GoldfishStew posted:

T-mobile also, for the most part (the way that they downgrade video quality on like Netflix and poo poo/using coded language in regards to this as well withstanding) is a pretty cool company and do some neat things. I’ve been really happy with them.

Yeah this is my problem. As a company, T-Mobile is doing things that are super cool compared to the rest of the real gross US cellular industry. I just... can't use it, so often.

io_burn fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 22, 2017

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
As a pay as you go AT&T customer I have benefited greatly from T-Mobile. Every few months I get a text message telling me that this or that feature T-Mobile announced previously (not in those words) is now added to my plan free of charge.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does Dark Sky have a "small" complication? If so, what does it display? I kinda wanna buy it, but am having trouble finding an answer to this. All I've seen is the "wide" complication.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

enojy posted:

Does Dark Sky have a "small" complication? If so, what does it display? I kinda wanna buy it, but am having trouble finding an answer to this. All I've seen is the "wide" complication.

Yes. It displays the temp plus an umbrella if its about to rain.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Do you guys know if there's any difference between Dark Sky and Carrot when it comes to Apple Watch functionality? Seems like the only thing seems to be Carrot has the option to display a "feels like" temperature instead of the actual temperature?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I really enjoy all the weather notifications on Dark Sky. Worth using it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I am very happy with dark sky.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thanks! Gonna pick it up.

io_burn posted:

Do you guys know if there's any difference between Dark Sky and Carrot when it comes to Apple Watch functionality? Seems like the only thing seems to be Carrot has the option to display a "feels like" temperature instead of the actual temperature?

I watched a pretty good comparison video of the two last night. Basically, Dark Sky is "no frills weather with a superior world map," and Carrot is "Dark Sky's info with a much more customizable UI and snarkiness." There's IAP and a subscription model in Carrot which turned me off, but do check that video out for more details.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dark Sky kinda sucks in my experience. The stock weather app seems more accurate with stuff. It’s a really slick looking app though and I’ll give it another try when it works with the Siri face.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 23, 2017

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

enojy posted:

Anya posted:

I really enjoy all the weather notifications on Dark Sky. Worth using it.

Dark skys complications are broken as hell for me :(

I do like that I have it set up to give me a daily forecast around the time I get dressed that actually does show up on the watch.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
When I download an app that has an Apple Watch app I want to use, it does NOT appear on the "Available Apps" list in the Watch app, so I cannot install it on the watch. Having "Automatic App Install" enabled/disabled makes no difference.

Rebooting my iPhone seems to refresh the "Available Apps" list, as the app I want is then listed, and any app update I've downloaded recently from the App Store will also install.

I Googled the issue, and the first page I found that seemed to specifically mention the issue I was having (https://www.imore.com/apps-not-installing-your-apple-watch-heres-fix) straight up says "your iPhone may need a reboot to properly sync its app collection".

Rebooting my phone EVERY TIME I want to install an app on my watch seems pretty stupid.

Is this an iOS 11 thing?

This is a brand-new iPhone 8 and Apple Watch Series 3. They had a fresh/clean install of iOS 11 and watchOS 4, not restored from a backup or anything.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Xenomorph posted:

When I download an app that has an Apple Watch app I want to use, it does NOT appear on the "Available Apps" list in the Watch app, so I cannot install it on the watch. Having "Automatic App Install" enabled/disabled makes no difference.

Rebooting my iPhone seems to refresh the "Available Apps" list, as the app I want is then listed, and any app update I've downloaded recently from the App Store will also install.

I Googled the issue, and the first page I found that seemed to specifically mention the issue I was having (https://www.imore.com/apps-not-installing-your-apple-watch-heres-fix) straight up says "your iPhone may need a reboot to properly sync its app collection".

Rebooting my phone EVERY TIME I want to install an app on my watch seems pretty stupid.

Is this an iOS 11 thing?

This is a brand-new iPhone 8 and Apple Watch Series 3. They had a fresh/clean install of iOS 11 and watchOS 4, not restored from a backup or anything.

Never seen this issue before TBH, had an AW since the beginning

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
I had this problem just the other day. I can’t say if it’s existed before since I don’t frequently install apps to the watch, but it definitely threw me for a loop. That being said, I rebooted the phone once and new downloaded apps seem to be showing up in the list immediately as would be expected, so while it’s inconvenient I don’t think it will be an “every time” thing.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

spunkshui posted:

Dark skys complications are broken as hell for me :(

I do like that I have it set up to give me a daily forecast around the time I get dressed that actually does show up on the watch.

Same for me. This is why I’m using Carrot weather.

Even after full resets of the phone and watch, I’ve never gotten the Dark Sky Complications to work :(.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Is there a way to reset icons in notifications on the Apple Watch? I've never been able to figure out why some push notifications come with the icon and others come with the grey placeholder icon. I've tried rebooting everything and all that jazz.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

io_burn posted:

Is there a way to reset icons in notifications on the Apple Watch? I've never been able to figure out why some push notifications come with the icon and others come with the grey placeholder icon. I've tried rebooting everything and all that jazz.

It's an OS4 bug

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Xenomorph posted:

Is this an iOS 11 thing?

Yes, i believe it is an iOS 11 issue. It didn't start happening for me until after the update. I'm on an SE and AW1, all updated.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Got my SS s2 and I love it. The rubber band feels nice and comfy. It’s the most comfortable watch I ever wore. Love unlocking my laptop with the watch and I replied to my first email on the thing using outlook.

So far so good. Using the Siri face cause I like all the info.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

Got my SS s2 and I love it. The rubber band feels nice and comfy. It’s the most comfortable watch I ever wore. Love unlocking my laptop with the watch and I replied to my first email on the thing using outlook.

So far so good. Using the Siri face cause I like all the info.

Lemme know how the strap feels on your wrist. I occasionally get a rash from mine.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I’m thinking of getting an Apple Watch this season and using it primarily as a fitness tracker (I’ve used fitbits in the past and enjoyed them, but now that the Watch 3 is out I think it’s time to pony up).

How does the Apple Watch compare with a dedicated fitness tracker? I like to do cardio a lot so I’m thinking that i’ll be primarily tracking steps, jogging, yadda yadda. The gamification of exercise amuses me so I’m hoping that filling up the exercise circles will be something that entertains me for a bit.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Lemme know how the strap feels on your wrist. I occasionally get a rash from mine.

So far one day wearing with gym no problems.

Anyone recommend a sleep tracking app or are they pointless?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I’m thinking of getting an Apple Watch this season and using it primarily as a fitness tracker (I’ve used fitbits in the past and enjoyed them, but now that the Watch 3 is out I think it’s time to pony up).

How does the Apple Watch compare with a dedicated fitness tracker? I like to do cardio a lot so I’m thinking that i’ll be primarily tracking steps, jogging, yadda yadda. The gamification of exercise amuses me so I’m hoping that filling up the exercise circles will be something that entertains me for a bit.

The heart rate monitor is not as good as Garmin fitness trackers I've used and it doesn't automatically start tracking workouts, so it's not as good as a dedicated fitness watch, but it's a much better smart watch than those, so it just depends on what you prioritize.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Housh posted:

Anyone recommend a sleep tracking app or are they pointless?

AutoSleep is good but as someone who gets very poor sleep, it doesn’t do me any good when the app says my body is 100% charged (for sleeping a full 8) when I wake up feeling like garbage daily. It is pretty customizable and you get raw data visualized in nice charts, but personally I haven’t benefitted from it.

e: I should be more fair. AutoSleep is a fine app. You just install it, answer some questions, then never think about it ever again since it detects sleep automatically. This is already better than many sleep apps. After sensitivity tweaking, you can get very accurate sleep times. This I enjoy. But I don’t think consumer technology is quite there yet to analyze sleep quality. So my criticisms are more of current progress of technology instead of the app itself.

e2: I need to stop putting off scheduling a polysomnography.

buglord fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 25, 2017

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

pragan4 posted:

The heart rate monitor is not as good as Garmin fitness trackers I've used and it doesn't automatically start tracking workouts, so it's not as good as a dedicated fitness watch, but it's a much better smart watch than those, so it just depends on what you prioritize.

I moved from a fitbit Blaze to an Apple Watch fairly recently. The blaze had better functionality as a fitness tracker as you might expect given its primary role but I was surprised to learn it had a lot of notification functionality from my phone, that's what got me thinking about what else a smart watch could do for me. For me my apple watch is a smart tool first and a fitness tracker second, but good enough that I don't feel the need for a dedicated one.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Welp, chalk me up to the crowd of 'AT&T randomly decided to stick the ~$50 of apple watch LTE fees on my bill' despite the signup agreement stating the credit otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Welp, chalk me up to the crowd of 'AT&T randomly decided to stick the ~$50 of apple watch LTE fees on my bill' despite the signup agreement stating the credit otherwise.

Lol cell carriers are such dick bags.

I’m sure you’ll call and get it fixed but I’m sure they are counting on lots of people not even paying attention.

• Locked thread