Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The whole history of anroid is devices that people are desperate to proclaim are just as good as if not better than iPhones except they all have hosed up screens or they explode or they have some unfixable vulnerability or they are abandoned in 9 months or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
android should be renamed “anything but apple” at this point

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Athletic Footjob posted:

android should be renamed “anything but apple” at this point

nah let’s rename it to “weird product hangups”

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Suits MY Needs OS

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The gen1 pixels and the regular pixel 2 are pretty good though

I think

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i’m not owned i’m not owned i continue to insist as all my sensitive and personal data is leaked to a server farm in shenzhen and the lithium ion im my phone swells up and explodes, killing me

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/phandroid/status/922564946767912960

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Generic Monk posted:

the issue is i can't tell if that's digital noise or the screen just being a grainy piece of poo poo either

ars says that the XL screen is a grainy piece of poo poo and it's pretty likely that's the unit they reviewed against

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Needs
Charged

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
they usually remember to remove that from the box

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Athletic Footjob posted:

they usually remember to remove that from the box

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Consider me surprised that they have quality control.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

even when an android device is good they universally sell poorly because android buyers only care about specs if theyre nerds and whether theyre samsungs if theyre normals and the followup immediately gets rid of whatever it is that made them good in an attempt to chase sales of bad androids

also any good android is only good in retrospect when its clear that the device didnt explode or fail to get any updates or die for no reason

even when its both known that a device is good and its still being sold like the pixel 1 still no one will buy it because their edge case isnt addressed and its too darn expensive hey how come my new lg just died/my samsung exploded?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

its almost like technology fetishism isnt all its cracked up to be

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i’m not owned i’m not owned i continue to insist as all my sensitive and personal data is leaked to a server farm in shenzhen and the lithium ion im my phone swells up and explodes, killing me

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Let's be honest: everyone got shipped a Pixel that failed quality control.

E: :3:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 24, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i Will not accept Flash

join me in this pledge

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

i Will not accept Flash

join me in this pledge

its the pixel stebe edition

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/24/pixel2-google-clicks-high-frequency-noises/

quote:

According to around 100 buyers on Google's Pixel product forum, the Pixel 2, and to a lesser extent, Pixel 2 XL are emitting clicking and/or high frequency sounds from the call speaker.

Users describe the ticking problem as like the second-hand on a bad watch that runs continuously when the phone is unlocked. The high-pitched noise, on the other hand, happens only during calls. Turning off NFC often stops the clicking problem, and while that's obviously no fix, it points to where the issue may lie. The whining, on the other hand, seems to be unrelated. It's mostly Pixel 2 buyers reporting the issues, but several XL buyers also complained.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

strong contender against the iphones right there

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

last time i had an android phone it used to randomly wake me up in the middle of the night with a loud notification sound which informed me that a system component had crashed (did not respect the volume controls or setting it to silent), took me an age to figure out what the pattern was: it would eventually crash if i placed it on a library book on my bedside table, the nfc implementation kept attempting to talk to the nfc tag in the book, and its negotiation attempts with this mysterious object the nfc subsystem would (sometimes) crash

that is my android story

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"The whining, on the other hand, seems to be unrelated. It's mostly Pixel 2 buyers"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

last time i had an android phone it used to randomly wake me up in the middle of the night with a loud notification sound which informed me that a system component had crashed (did not respect the volume controls or setting it to silent), took me an age to figure out what the pattern was: it would eventually crash if i placed it on a library book on my bedside table, the nfc implementation kept attempting to talk to the nfc tag in the book, and its negotiation attempts with this mysterious object the nfc subsystem would (sometimes) crash

that is my android story

:perfect:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a coworker’s android telephone has a free virus scanner which plays an advert on completion of a scan, so once a week we all get to hear 5 seconds of a movie trailer or w/e

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that's handy, you can find out your phone has no viruses AND see the latest hit movie that advertises via virus scanner!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
“you have a virus!”

*plays mandatory advert*

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

that is my android story

well you know no android engineer has ever gone near a public library

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
reminder that the HTC engineers that made this garbage phone are now google employees

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/20/16340108/google-htc-smartphone-team-acquisition-announced

quote:

Google is buying part of HTC’s smartphone team for $1.1 billion
About 2,000 HTC staffers to join Google

September 20, 2017 10:11 pm
Google is making another big buy into smartphone hardware — or at least the people responsible for creating it. The company has just confirmed that it plans to acquire part of HTC’s mobile division team for $1.1 billion. “These future fellow Googlers are amazing folks we’ve already been working with closely on the Pixel smartphone line, and we're excited to see what we can do together as one team,” Rick Osterloh, Google’s hardware boss, wrote in a blog post. “The deal also includes a non-exclusive license for HTC intellectual property.”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

reminder that the HTC engineers that made this garbage phone are now google employees

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/20/16340108/google-htc-smartphone-team-acquisition-announced

htc made the one that whines

lg made the one with the bad screen

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
htc phones: wah wah wah

lg phones: doo doo screen

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what is funny is that google went with lg again after the last time they used them they ended up having to replace them all multiple times because they all died after a year

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

that is my android story

:discourse:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
pretty sure i disabled nfc on my android after it kept doing some weird bloop sound every time i set the phone on/near my wallet

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Endless Mike posted:

what is funny is that google went with lg again after the last time they used them they ended up having to replace them all multiple times because they all died after a year

i just received my fourth LG-made Nexus 5X via warranty replacement. i think I'm going to try and replace this new one too because it rattles when i shake it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i just received my fourth LG-made Nexus 5X via warranty replacement. i think I'm going to try and replace this new one too because it rattles when i shake it

does it have optical image stabilization? that might be on purpose

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that is my android story

lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

qirex posted:

does it have optical image stabilization? that might be on purpose

nope. this same rattle sound existed in my first and second 5x too. after a week or two of use, both of them developed a problem where i think the earpiece speaker became detached from whatever it had been fastened to internally, because calls sounded like either the speaker was blown out or it was vibrating against other stuff in there. my third one didn't rattle and also didn't develop this problem, it just developed a garden variety boot loop after about 14 months. android

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was just trying to be polite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

that is my android story

android is garbage from the dump