Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gwrtheyrn posted:

I assume it is a joke about the snes mini or whatever

The joke is everything nintendo produces not names DS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Darkest Hunters is a neat Puzzle Quest/ Dungeon Raid style game. Each quest is like both the mentioned games, basically match 3 with stackable resources and equipment, but the interesting part is that the board is an actual area you move through as you match gems. Just started but it seems really fun.

Seems to follow the common thread for mobile games like Clash Royale where you find duplicates of items to upgrade them, and chests have open timers with a premium currency to rush them. Yet to be seen if it is super lovely.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 24, 2017

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

New Leaf posted:

Cross-posting from the Gacha thread- Has anyone else tried "18: Dream World"? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamesamba.eighteen&hl=en It's more of a traditional gem matching game with a plotline and gacha elements, friend system, yadda yadda, along with a very Persona-like aesthetic. I'm digging it so far. I don't know if I got lucky or what, but I got 2 5-star "super rares" almost as soon as the tutorial was over - one as my "free" summon and one as a "new player special" thing. I'm not very far into the game at all, but I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a new drug.
I'm enjoying this. The aesthetic and concept are cool. It plays very similar to my old favorite Dungeon Raid.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Darkest Hunters is a neat Puzzle Quest/ Dungeon Raid style game. Each quest is like both the mentioned games, basically match 3 with stackable resources and equipment, but the interesting part is that the board is an actual area you move through as you match gems. Just started but it seems really fun.

Seems to follow the common thread for mobile games like Clash Royale where you find duplicates of items to upgrade them, and chests have open timers with a premium currency to rush them. Yet to be seen if it is super lovely.

One of the review mentions the energy/bread sytem as very limiting. Any comments on this?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EzEight posted:

One of the review mentions the energy/bread sytem as very limiting. Any comments on this?

Haven't encountered it yet. There is bread which is your energy basically, and you have to buy more I think. Not sure how it goes yet.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Free to play 2 hours on your save, unlock the rest for 9.99

Please. You're going to be -literally- in debt to that loving raccoon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

NinjaDebugger posted:

Please. You're going to be -literally- in debt to that loving raccoon.

I hope they crib the haggling minigame from Rusty's Real Deal so that Nook can remind you that you're stealing food directly out of his nephews' tiny mouths when you try to refinance your mortgage.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

EzEight posted:

It's not that bad, I find. Basically performing a move costs a bread. You have a maximum stockpile of about 125 bread or so, maybe more, which replenishes over time. If you run out of bread in a mission you can quit, or watch an ad to get back 25 more. Typically a mission can run you about 20 bread, give or take, if you're just trying to beat it, but more if you want to complete all the quests (6 per), some which can take a lot more moves. Regardless, I haven't found it constricting yet, and if you really want to, you can pay moneys outright to remove this limit.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's worth mentioning it has a version on Steam as well. It replaces the various timers with gold grinding though, but doesn't have the loaf-energy mechanic either.

Word of warning to folks still playing the mobile version, unlocking characters does gently caress all. It's just a different portrait on the character screen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Morpheus posted:

It's not that bad, I find. Basically performing a move costs a bread. You have a maximum stockpile of about 125 bread or so, maybe more, which replenishes over time. If you run out of bread in a mission you can quit, or watch an ad to get back 25 more. Typically a mission can run you about 20 bread, give or take, if you're just trying to beat it, but more if you want to complete all the quests (6 per), some which can take a lot more moves. Regardless, I haven't found it constricting yet, and if you really want to, you can pay moneys outright to remove this limit.

Game's pretty fun actually so I was thinking about just dropping the $5 to remove this restriction.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

explosivo posted:

Game's pretty fun actually so I was thinking about just dropping the $5 to remove this restriction.

My issue is that unlike a game like Dungeon Raid, there's no challenge to it. You just wander around, get gems, and occasionally murder monsters. Granted I'm still doing the first batch of missions so maybe that changes in the future, but to me it seems more like just checking off the quests as I get them, without worrying about how hard they are to get done.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Morpheus posted:

My issue is that unlike a game like Dungeon Raid, there's no challenge to it. You just wander around, get gems, and occasionally murder monsters. Granted I'm still doing the first batch of missions so maybe that changes in the future, but to me it seems more like just checking off the quests as I get them, without worrying about how hard they are to get done.

I imagine it gets legit hard later, in order to encourage people to spend money on upgrades and more bread.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Hey if anybody is looking for a dumb tapping game, the Tap Titans 2 developers have been on a roll recently with a string of major content updates and the resident goon clan is always looking for more bad posters.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801833

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Pre-registration for Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp is open right now ahead of its late November release.

Here's the stream for anyone that missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr2wXiwgNd0

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 25, 2017

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

So do I have to design around what those in the camp area like? Or did I misinterpret? Also I'm surprised they were so honest about pushing the premium currency in the trailer. Still looks like an almost legitimate animal crossing. Hoping for the best. Just not feeling the designing a campsite as much.

Edit: Did not know that that big fishing net was leaf tickets. That kinda sucks. That was an x10 multiplier to paying.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 25, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Elmon posted:

So do I have to design around what those in the camp area like?

have you ever played animal crossing?? :confused:

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

have you ever played animal crossing?? :confused:

Guess I'm forgetting. But I thought that the villagers didn't really care about the inside of your house

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i might not be remembering correctly either but i thought some animals had opinions about items

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i might not be remembering correctly either but i thought some animals had opinions about items

I think they had a Zen thing. But in this one the new friendship level seems to be affected by your design

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

mrkillboy posted:

Pre-registration for Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp is open right now ahead of its late November release.

Here's the stream for anyone that missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr2wXiwgNd0

:syoon:

This looks great!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Elmon posted:

I think they had a Zen thing. But in this one the new friendship level seems to be affected by your design

It almost seemed more like the animals that hang out at your campground are more directed by what you decorate with, not vice versa.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Pre reg link not available is SEA

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Worked in Australia

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Rapner posted:

Worked in Australia

I have an install button showing up instead of preregister now so I think it's actually soft launched here.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 25, 2017

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

mrkillboy posted:

I got an install button showing up now so I think it's actually soft launched here.

Yeah I was able to install it. Weird to be a full month ahead of launch, but I'll take it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The Animal Crossing game looks fun. Looks like it will be a very chill game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I am SO down with this. I wasn't sure, during the first 5-6 minutes of that video, but when she started talking about designing your camper (!), buying different clothes (!!), and checking out various shops as well as there being multiple ways to get bells in the game that doesn't include leaf tickets (!!!) I'm sold. Finally, near the end, they show KK Slider, as well as specific festivals (!!!!) so :toot:

Really happy about that camper info, though, because I was thinking that one of my favourite things about the original line of games was customizing and upgrading my house. Super awesome that that's still there.

EDIT: Also, even if there's a grind, I don't think I'll care, since that's kind of the point of AC to begin with.

Have they mentioned if there's a cost outside of the leaf tickets? Like how Super Mario Run is 'free to play', for the first part, and then like $16 (CDN) after that?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elmon posted:

Guess I'm forgetting. But I thought that the villagers didn't really care about the inside of your house

The Happy Home Association evaluates your house based on feng shui in the main room, and I think that's the extent to which animals care about your house. They have interactions with some objects, kinda generically, like they'll start to sing if you play a musical instrument while they're visiting.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Have they mentioned if there's a cost outside of the leaf tickets? Like how Super Mario Run is 'free to play', for the first part, and then like $16 (CDN) after that?

The only IAPs I've found are to buy multiples of Leaf Tickets, though currently there's also a limited time starter bundle which also has a pair of nets and a jar of honey (which are one use items to get a batch of random items, essentially a loot box). The game seems pretty liberal in handing out Leaf Tickets early on though, and you get 100 just for linking a Nintendo account.

You can buy a stool for 250 Leaf Tickets that'll make him show up at your campsite.

I've played the game for about an hour and it seems pretty nice so far. Your campsite and the locations you can visit are much smaller than I expected though.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 25, 2017

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Seems like it soft launched in Australia. I guess they get something from time to time.

Edit: If you download the apk you can just set your region to Australia and play. Does anyone know if you can change your region in these games? Or would I be stuck with having my region be Australia.

Edit2: Someone posted this so I guess you can change it.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 25, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

The only IAPs I've found are to buy multiples of Leaf Tickets, though currently there's also a limited time starter bundle which also has a pair of nets and a jar of honey (which are one use items to get a batch of random items, essentially a loot box). The game seems pretty liberal in handing out Leaf Tickets early on though, and you get 100 just for linking a Nintendo account.

You can buy a stool for 250 Leaf Tickets that'll make him show up at your campsite.

I've played the game for about an hour and it seems pretty nice so far. Your campsite and the locations you can visit are much smaller than I expected though.

OK, but there's no flat-out cost for the game though, right? That's awesome. And I think I'm ok with the area being small, I mean... it IS on mobile. Maybe they'll expand it later on, who knows.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ugh I guess I won't be able to play it considering Nintendo really don't like you using rooted phones.

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011
Battlevoid: Sector Siege is out. Another game from Bug byte

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fi.bugbyte.battlevoid&hl=en

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Elmon posted:

Seems like it soft launched in Australia. I guess they get something from time to time.

Edit: If you download the apk you can just set your region to Australia and play. Does anyone know if you can change your region in these games? Or would I be stuck with having my region be Australia.

Edit2: Someone posted this so I guess you can change it.

If you change your region on your account, it will unlink your Nintendo ID from that account. I don't know if that will delete it or not, but that might be something to think about if you have a Nintendo system with digital purchases.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Would it be too early for an Animal Crossing mobile thread? Some goons have it, or can get it now, and when it's released, we'll DEFINITELY need one.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

If you change your region on your account, it will unlink your Nintendo ID from that account. I don't know if that will delete it or not, but that might be something to think about if you have a Nintendo system with digital purchases.

drat, that's concerning.. I think I accidentally have 2 Nintendo accounts because my 3DS and Switch aren't linked, but I know my Switch and phone are on the same account.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Would it be too early for an Animal Crossing mobile thread? Some goons have it, or can get it now, and when it's released, we'll DEFINITELY need one.

There should be a mobile thread. It shouldn't be part of the New Leaf thread, since they are completely different games.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is there any idea when Animal Crossing will be released in NA or is it just a "when its ready" type deal?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
All they said was late November

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Hello! I'm in the process of dropping all gacha style gaming, so here's one - looking for non-gacha mobile RPGs that are any good. Just something I can play, fight monsters, make numbers increase, consume some sort of story, and eventually reach an actual ending, without anyone whispering into my ear that I should feed money into a glorified slot machine along the way.

- Being able to play in portrait orientation is a huge plus
- Gonna pass on anything that's a remake or port of an old console game
- I already beat Attack the Light
- I see that the Baldur's Gate style games are all on sale or something but they aren't particularly my jam