Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

South Park continues to impress me with its pacing. Every time I think to myself the combat is getting a little formulaic it introduces a new power and fun boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Well, they did some good work in my gay little heart.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

I am looking for something that I can play on my PC using an xbox controller.

Ideally it will have cloud saves.

So help me choose from:

- I own most of the Ys games on Steam and don't know which one to play first, if I go with this.

- Breath of Death VII...

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

- Cthulhu saves the world.

I also have Final Fantasy VI but I'm not sure how much old-school random combat I can stomach at the moment.

Play Ys 7 or Oath. Origins is very arcadey and doesn't have any party stuff or even a "town" but it still pretty good.

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 24, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

I am looking for something that I can play on my PC using an xbox controller.

Ideally it will have cloud saves.

So help me choose from:

- I own most of the Ys games on Steam and don't know which one to play first, if I go with this.

- Breath of Death VII...

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

- Cthulhu saves the world.

I also have Final Fantasy VI but I'm not sure how much old-school random combat I can stomach at the moment.

You're probably best off going with Ys first, pretty much all the games are gold (even if the earlier entries are rough due to mechanical age). I'd recommend starting with Oath in Felghana, if you have it.

I bounced off of Trails personally, but it's really good if you're looking for a slower-paced RPG to just relax with.

Don't pay BoD7. It's the studio's first game and you can loving tell that. CSTW is still rough but infinitely better in every way. Definitely last pick among the options you listed, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Genocyber posted:

Don't pay BoD7. It's the studio's first game and you can loving tell that. CSTW is still rough but infinitely better in every way. Definitely last pick among the options you listed, though.
Basically this. Those guys are in love with memes but you can feel the difference in them learning how to make games (and if you pick up the third and fourth Penny Arcade games, which they also made, it's another drastic improvement, but that's certanly a writing trade).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Really if you play any of that studio's games it should be their latest release, Cosmic Star Heroine. It's a step up generation-wise, aping on 16-bit (particular SNES) JRPGs like Chrono Trigger, while having much snappier (if still occasionally cringeworthy) writing and really well-designed battles. The game does the thing I love where you're refreshed after every fight so each battle ends up being more like a puzzle you have to solve where you have a lot of actions because of all the party members and skills.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Cosmic Star Heroine is a genuinely fun JRPG with interesting battles that just happens to be written by someone painfully unfunny. He's very Mormon and has tweeted about swear words being bad writing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't remember Cosmic Star Heroine's plot and I feel like most of it was an excuse to get you into some new character's intro scenario. Fun fights though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

He's very Mormon and has tweeted about swear words being bad writing.

i mean i kind of agree if it's gratuitously done or whatever because it doesn't necessarily contribute anything, but otoh i probably have one of the saltiest, fuckriddenest posting histories on these forums

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bleeping is funny though, I wish that was used a little more.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The White Dragon posted:

i mean i kind of agree if it's gratuitously done or whatever because it doesn't necessarily contribute anything, but otoh i probably have one of the saltiest, fuckriddenest posting histories on these forums

otoh, it can be done gratuitously well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lElf7D-An8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVR476WHmR8

It just needs to feel natural, for either the character or scene. The bad uses are usually cause it's done childishly.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Cosmic Star Heroine is a genuinely fun JRPG with interesting battles that just happens to be written by someone painfully unfunny. He's very Mormon and has tweeted about swear words being bad writing.

Not everything can reach the comic heights of "There's a pool of blood. Probably belonging to someone named Chris." That's pretty funny, right? You know, like in Resident Evil? Don't worry, if you don't, maybe this zombie-infested police station will jog your memory?

Caphi posted:

I don't remember Cosmic Star Heroine's plot and I feel like most of it was an excuse to get you into some new character's intro scenario. Fun fights though.

This would probably have been fine if the characters had more to do. Instead you get stuff like the dancing robot and the main character's cousin, who just kind of show up, and then they're in your party, and that's that. The cast size also seems to have butted up against the limits of the battle system, because you can tell they tried to give these characters their own gimmicks to differentiate them, but I'm not sure it really worked.

(I liked Cosmic Star Heroine but man it could have been better)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wouldn't really recommend ys seven as one to start with since i personally think it's really loving dull and has zero energy and it's pretty much universally agreed that ys 8 is a better take on the same mechanics, but also you might actually really like it so i dunno

i don't know why you'd act like ys origin is the weaker one when its got the most consistent design in the entire series though

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ive been playing cosmic star heroine on super spy and it's pretty nice that way, although the bug robot lab was somewhat frustrating. i really like the enemies damage increasing over time so you can't just turtle and win by virtue of the fact that you have sort of infinite resources. my only complaint about the battles is that it's pretty vague about what exactly certain abilities/items/programs do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BadAstronaut posted:

So 1 and 2 really aren't necessary to play for the story etc?

The plot of Ys is Adol goes to a place on a boat and then an adventure happens.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

So 1 and 2 really aren't necessary to play for the story etc?

And getting conflicting opinions on Oath vs Origins... let's say I definitely intend to play both. Which of the two to begin with?

Origins is the distant past backstory of 1+2 but other than that the games are pretty self contained. They're still decent games but they're very much 80s games with a new coat of paint.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean i'd argue ys origin and oath in felghana are two of the best action rpgs ever made if you want something with a really tight handle on crazy fast-paced action what makes all of your attacks feel really punchy and requires good reflexes

e; oh you mean 1&2. yeah 1 is steeped in the kind of adventure gamey stuff that makes games like metal gear hard to go back to, ys 2 is a lot better but it's also a lot longer and not quite good enough to be worth its more annoying bits

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 24, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Isn't Ar Tonelico's explanation of magic that Reyvateils are the only ones with admin privileges to the giant computer they live on and there's console commands to summon fireballs

Random-rear end sci-fi elements in fantasy settings rule
I always liked the way Phantasy Star IV handled it. Finding cloning tubes hidden in the basement? "Oh that explains where all the monsters are coming from!" Guy blows up rocks blocking a path with some magic? "WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT????"

EDIT: Although that latter is a bit comedic because magic blowing things up with fire is different from techs blowing things up with fire. The latter are psionic things people can learn with enough practice and dedication, while the former is a mysteeeerious power!

Zereth fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 24, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i mean i'd argue ys origin and oath in felghana are two of the best action rpgs ever made if you want something with a really tight handle on crazy fast-paced action what makes all of your attacks feel really punchy and requires good reflexes

e; oh you mean 1&2. yeah 1 is steeped in the kind of adventure gamey stuff that makes games like metal gear hard to go back to, ys 2 is a lot better but it's also a lot longer and not quite good enough to be worth its more annoying bits

TBH I feel like the only worth Ys 1 and a decent chunk of Ys 2 (HEY THE FINAL DUNGEON IS APPROXIMATELY HALF THE GAME AND DELIBERATELY SAMEY AS gently caress SO YOU’LL GET LOST) have at this point is so you get all the Origins homages.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly I enjoyed Ys 1&2, weird combat included. My biggest problem with it was more it requiring you to find some occasionally well hidden gear items to even damage bosses.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly I enjoyed Ys 1&2, weird combat included. My biggest problem with it was more it requiring you to find some occasionally well hidden gear items to even damage bosses.
Yeah Ys 1&2 are solid bits of nostalgic/retro fun. Hell I played the loving TurboDuo versions at one point and loved that experience too. The music is rad and it's a cute little adventure. It's got its quirks but I guess I'm just able / willing to just kind of go with the flow with a "oh yeah, it's a 1980s action RPG".

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ys 1, 2, and 3 are weird in that they're RPGs in which you reach max level about halfway through the game. I mean, level doesn't affect much in that series anyway, as opposed to equipment, but it's such a weird thing to have when it's so needless.

Also the last boss of Ys 1 is bad in every way and is literally the worst thing about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
level means more in ys 2, you can't actually max out in that one because there's no level cap

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I hit max cap in Ys 1 (level 9!) by the bat boss :argh: and I ended up shelving it for a bit then because I was barely hurting it, turned out I'd totally missed a sword which made it manageable. The end boss of 1 can go gently caress itself though and often devolved into pure luck.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Colonel posted:

level means more in ys 2, you can't actually max out in that one because there's no level cap

Oh dur I guess I misremembered that one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure there is a level cap in Ys 2, you just hit it later. I remember being really stumped by a lategame boss because I couldn't get any stronger until I found a sword in the sewer to get the damage dealt up to a respectful level.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dark fact is hilarious and he owns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More like Dark get fuct

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yeah!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a level cap in Ys 2, you just hit it later. I remember being really stumped by a lategame boss because I couldn't get any stronger until I found a sword in the sewer to get the damage dealt up to a respectful level.

you won't ever hit the cap naturally, i had trouble at that same bit and it wasn't so much that you couldn't get stronger as it would took an insanely long span of time to level up any more

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLU2V4F7ZIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6glqpQhXKw

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 24, 2017

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

This gag alone makes the Ys 1 boss design worth it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nights of Azure 2. Any word on this? Because I finally fixed my problem of not being able to play any of the dumb games that require internet explorer 11.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Janky ultra-repetitive gameplay + opprrssive time mechanics that can force you to load saves earlier in a chapter.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It somehow manages to be worse in every way than the original, apparently.

EDIT: Also typical janky rear end Koei port.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

It somehow manages to be worse in every way than the original, apparently.

That seems to be the theme of the reviews I've seen.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ive gotten to the point in tactics ogre luct where i do very little damage to inhuman enemies, and most things hit me for 80% of my hp. maybe the solution is to make all my equipment +1? i dont know if i have the heart for all that minmaxing. i dont think i'm overlevelled? this is feeling like oblivion all over again

ive played a lot of srpgs and this might be the worst, design wise.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’ve never played Soul Reaver, is it worth the $2 it’s on sale for now? I’m probably grabbing Blood Omen for nostalgia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

soul reaver has tons of block puzzles but it's still an okay game. honestly its worth 2 dollars just for the hammy as hell voice acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Soul Reaver owns, it's basically Zelda for goths and has the best voice acting in any game ever made.