Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They know that just limiting ships per fleet won't fix anything and the wailing/ gnashing of teeth over a screenshot of "3/10" with no context auto extrapolating to "admiral = fleet size" and related limitations is pretty funny.

I'm pretty sure Wiz has thought of most of the gnashings already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They know that just limiting ships per fleet won't fix anything and the wailing/ gnashing of teeth over a screenshot of "3/10" with no context auto extrapolating to "admiral = fleet size" and related limitations is pretty funny.
Yup. In general the only problems I've had with Wiz/LordMune's teams big reworks are where they've interacted weirdly with legacy mechanics, and the issue has been on the legacy side. Like, the weird barebones state of stations always bothered me, and I recently found out that one of the reasons they're bare is because they were a casualty of the resource changes, and now they're being properly reworked into this big new thing that looks pretty cool. So yeah if they're implementing a fleet cap I'm reasonably confident it will be not stupid.

Though we're still waiting on an endgame use for unity :argh:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Gamerofthegame posted:

My main take away from this is lol rip "wide" empires if starport limiting is both a thing and still governs your ship cap.

I would be totally okay with wide empires having the manufacturing edge (because minerals income doesn't scale as hard as research) vs tall empires having the technology advantage.

It's not like there's a shortage of ways to differentiate how empires fight anyway - there's traditions, perks, civics, governments, racial traits, techs and empire-edicts that could all potentially influence how many fleets you can have or how big they can be. Lots of opportunity for making different empires more distinct even for non-hivemind/non-purifier empires.

As for how to stop people from just doomstacking by having a ball of smaller fleets, various games have solved that. SotS 1 and 2 did it (differently, SotS 2 probably in a better way) for example.

Similarily going for a hyperlane based FTL rework (if we get one, please make Wormholes work like a gate network that'd be so much cooler than warp-with-extra-busywork) would solve the tons of small fleets rampaging in every system issue, because you'd have to let those fleets past your chokepoints in the first place.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 24, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Well, what do you expect? They've clearly changed something else, but they haven't told us what yet. Besides, their war changes from launch till now haven't been especially impressive, often consisting of just removing or capping whatever was causing the perceived problem, and we don't know whether they're planning a full rework or just another set of tweaks. Don't forget, they already added a ships-per-fleet cap in the current version...in response to complaints that big fleets were slowing down the game.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Splicer posted:

All ascension perks now cost unity to maintain, scaling with pop and planet count. Boom, fixed. Happy now? :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So what's the current go-to strategy and ship design against the swarm? Like absolutely always, the swarm hit in my core territories (never seen the swarm not spawn on my core systems) and obliterated my 150k fleet and 10k fortress flowers. They quickly spread out, took out all my starbases, and quickly invaded my planets. Game over fast.

Does the game automatically spawn them on/near your borders or am I just incredibly unlucky over and over?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Splicer posted:

Yeah same, I like playing Rogue Servitors as it scratches my micro itch pretty well between robo-modding and finding places to stuff all my bio-trophies, but it's basically a giant unity hose and I maxed my traditions really quick when playing them. And then you see 2 million unity stockpiled and are like, what am I supposed to do about this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

Worth noting that the base is built at the star, not planet.

I hope you can pick where you put those because sometimes I'd rather protect the capital planet in the system, or a particular jump exit.

I am also interested to see how these apparent fleet cap changes are going to work with crises, a hundred mini prethoryan fleets roaming the galaxy would be entertaining :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 24, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm not 100% convinced the station is at the star. The nameplates get wonky when there's so many in one place so who knows where the station is underneath all that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Also a bug made the sun the size of a basketball or something so it couldn't even be seen in that shot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When's The Wiz doing his proper dev diaries instead of these scraps and hints?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Every Thursday.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Cool, I always complained there was no AE system in stellaris but what ever they got going on is working pretty good now.

Yeah, I'm noticing it in my latest Star Trek mod playthrough - playing as Klingons and the rest of my neighbors allied up against me fairly quickly after I absorbed two neighbors.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'd prefer it if there was a variable decay on mutual threat diplomacy bonuses, or if that system exists, that it would be more pronounced. It's really annoying to see two powers that should probably hate each other ally against me and then continue to stick together long after I've stopped waging any offensive wars.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

Ruined my one planet game that was going swimmingly by purging the dick Isolationist FE so I could snatch up their space (including a ruined Dyson Sphere), forgetting about the sizeable, slow-decaying genocide malus. Now even my bestest Federation buddies have -200 opinion towards me. Whoops!

Yeah, just did something similar. I haven't done a non-purifier/hivemind in awhile, so I started a new Inwards Perfection game. There was a 3 planet empire blocking access to one arm of the spiral, so I did a cleanse wargoal for all 3 of their planets, and then dropped an outpost at the junction. Everyone but the Robotic FE hates me now, even more than they hate the purifier that has taken over the northern 20% or so of the galaxy. I guess it's time to just go full xenophobic and cleanse everyone.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It would also be pretty neat if threat and trust interacted with each other, so that empires that allied due to mutual threat wouldn't necessarily develop trust from it.

E: maybe you could just make different kinds of military alliances and introduce ones that scale their acceptance based off of threat, but don't generate any trust, and agreements that don't really take threat into account for acceptance but do generate trust.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 24, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

When's The Wiz doing his proper dev diaries instead of these scraps and hints?

They took a month off for teasers and stuff and are restarting real ones next(this?) week.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm not 100% convinced the station is at the star. The nameplates get wonky when there's so many in one place so who knows where the station is underneath all that.

It's called the "Sol Starport" in the quick list so "at the star" seems quite likely.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 24, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

binge crotching posted:

Yeah, just did something similar. I haven't done a non-purifier/hivemind in awhile, so I started a new Inwards Perfection game. There was a 3 planet empire blocking access to one arm of the spiral, so I did a cleanse wargoal for all 3 of their planets, and then dropped an outpost at the junction. Everyone but the Robotic FE hates me now, even more than they hate the purifier that has taken over the northern 20% or so of the galaxy. I guess it's time to just go full xenophobic and cleanse everyone.

Inwards Perfection is basically built for being a genocidal maniac, it's amazing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Magil Zeal posted:

It's called the "Sol Starport" in the quick list so... seems quite likely.
I bet territory outposts and starports have been merged. Now you build an outpost at the star of every system you want to claim, and then you upgrade/expand the few that you want to turn into major shipyards or fortresses.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

Inwards Perfection is basically built for being a genocidal maniac, it's amazing.

You can use cleanse wargoal as fanatic pacifist? :lol:

I'm sure wiz hates the idea of any more ethos name debates, but being 'pacifist' in a game about giant space monsters and horrors from beyond the void seems... off. I mean, you're not ever really pacifist, are you? You still have a giant fleet stuffed with nukes and death lasers, and zillons of heavily armed space marines.

I feel like Militarist/Pacifist should really be something like Imperialist/Isolationist. I mean, that's closer to how it's being implemented, I guess?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Baronjutter posted:

Sometimes you end up surrounded by happy federation builders that love you, sometimes you end up as the only "nice" country on the map with everyone else some exterminator or slaver or religious fanatic. If it's the later, you better start exporting your ideology at the barrel of a plasma cannon.

I've ended up following this advice. We're going to have a big friendly space UN and attendance is loving mandatory.

On the bright side, the other side of the galaxy had some cool dudes who were happy to become friends with me and don't seem to mind my cake or death approach to diplomacy with the rest of the aggression loving fucks I call neighbors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fintilgin posted:

You can use cleanse wargoal as fanatic pacifist? :lol:

Not as a Fanatic Pacifist, because you're locked into Defensive Wars only. But as Pacifist/Xenophobe/anything else, you can. And now that you can cleanse capital planets finally, it's the perfect way to create all the living space you could ever need.

e: Yeah, Spiritualist/Xenophobe/Pacifist + Inwards Perfection is by far my favorite setup.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 24, 2017

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah I went Spiritual/Xenophobic/Pacifist because I wanted to go down the psionic ascension route.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

Not as a Fanatic Pacifist, because you're locked into Defensive Wars only. But as Pacifist/Xenophobe/anything else, you can. And now that you can cleanse capital planets finally, it's the perfect way to create all the living space you could ever need.

Oh, I thought you had to be fanatic pacifist to grab inward perfection. Maybe that's agrarian idyll?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fintilgin posted:

Oh, I thought you had to be fanatic pacifist to grab inward perfection. Maybe that's agrarian idyll?

I think it's for agararian idyll, yeah.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Running inward perfection and cleansing the Imperfect whenever they get in your way is cool and good.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
You can still do agrarian idyll, too, so long as you can induce others to declare war on you. Keep yourself well under fleet capacity and insult your neighbors.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Xenophobic is the best ethos because you can eat all those delicious aliens. I found some primitives prancing around with steam engines so I STEHL REHNed all over them and shoved their enslaved asses into blenders.

I hate nearby AI empires. Magical player sense tingling, must go 50+% above fleet cap before discovering player. drat fanatic purifiers (freaking jerks rolls NOTHING but weapon techs). But at least the next door neighbor fallen observers gave me a battlecruiser so I could tip the horrible slanted scales to favor me. You won't be "purifying" anything except the insides of a lot of cans of dogfood!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

It's called the "Sol Starport" in the quick list so "at the star" seems quite likely.

I'm not saying it's not for sure, but I think when (if?) there's a one-spaceport-per-system limit, naming it after the system and not the planet it happens to orbit (if it even orbits a body at all) would make sense. Either way, not knowing how travel, system ownership and fleet mechanics work it's probably too early to be worried about the placement of the spaceports anyway.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
One interesting thing about threat is that taking planets from hive minds evidently doesn't generate any...even with the hive mind itself. I was playing driven assimilators, took over half of a hive mind's worlds, and they liked me right afterwards thanks to other modifiers more than cancelling out the -25 (was at war) effect.

Of course, it turns out I couldn't assimilate their pops...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Does anyone know of an updated mod to force-spawn all the unique features (systems and leviathans) in every game? There was one I used long ago, but it hasn't been updated in 6+ months.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Aethernet posted:

I'm pretty sure Wiz has thought of most of the gnashings already.

Thought of, and is laughing at the musings of the masses as he ticks of every gnashing he predicted on a little bingo card.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

The problem with this is, if you loose your admiral and have no points to buy another you have literally no defense at all. I really hope this is not their solution because it would be a bad one.

Just go the Star Trek route and have all leaders do all things. There is no reason a governor can't lead a fleet or an army or whatever

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, what do you expect? They've clearly changed something else, but they haven't told us what yet. Besides, their war changes from launch till now haven't been especially impressive, often consisting of just removing or capping whatever was causing the perceived problem, and we don't know whether they're planning a full rework or just another set of tweaks. Don't forget, they already added a ships-per-fleet cap in the current version...in response to complaints that big fleets were slowing down the game.

A limit of *500 ships* per fleet, because more than that literally overloaded the interface. If you're saying that's a real limitation that applies to more than 0.01% of players, you're either stupid or just plain disingenuous.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wiz posted:

A limit of *500 ships* per fleet, because more than that literally overloaded the interface. If you're saying that's a real limitation that applies to more than 0.01% of players, you're either stupid or just plain disingenuous.

Also, it's already in the game :v:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

listen if i can't read way into extremely limited information and automatically assume the devs are doing the worst possible thing so i can complain about it as if it's already gospel what point is there to internet forums

Strudel Man posted:

One interesting thing about threat is that taking planets from hive minds evidently doesn't generate any...even with the hive mind itself. I was playing driven assimilators, took over half of a hive mind's worlds, and they liked me right afterwards thanks to other modifiers more than cancelling out the -25 (was at war) effect.

it probably had the same reaction to you as if someone shaved your armpit hair or something

hive minds are weird

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 25, 2017

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

President Ark posted:

it probably had the same reaction to you as if someone shaved your armpit hair or something

hive minds are weird
Hey, I'm slightly less than half armpit hair by mass.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Strudel Man posted:

Hey, I'm slightly less than half armpit hair by mass.

What about before the robits shaved you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Hm, fair point.

edit: Wow, evidently democratic crusaders really hate being a vassal of a non-democratic empire. I (same assimilators as before) technologically enlightened the space-age inhabitants of a planet without really checking their ideology - they popped out as the awesomely named "Fire Tribes of Paradise" (their world was named Paradise), egalitarian-militarist-spiritualists with the Assembly of Clans government and democratic crusaders personality. And they have minus a thousand opinion of me, because of "Oppressors," which I assume is non-democratic overlordship. Plus another minus two hundred for being 'soul thieves.'

I guess there was some really rude awakening there when they found out who their patrons were.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 25, 2017

• Locked thread