Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

I stopped watching FTWD after the first season because it was abysmal, I think that's enough of TWD for me as well now.

Yeah. Hoping someone will edit this season down to a single ep. I might watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/8Xmmjli.gifv

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I don't know how to fix this show. Something actually happened in this episode, thank god. More action against Negan than all of season seven but it still dragged... and it was only 40 minutes.

Be better.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I feel embarrassed for ever sticking up for this show.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think that regardless of how much further the quality of this show descends everyone that is still here at this point is here 'till the bitter end. Whether it's sunk cost, morbid fascination of just how bad can it get, academic interest of how not to write and shoot a TV show, or genuinely still finding something of value somewhere in there, whatever that may be - we'll still be here at the end.

The ultimate irony would be if we never got to see the finale because an honest-to-god real-life apocalypse happens. That would actually piss me off.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Wow, low energy premier.

Also, LOL that we can't even be assed to make a season 8 thread. This show doesn't deserve it TBH.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I mean Negan is always bragging about his cock size so why doesn't Gabe just kick him in the nuts, take Lucille, and beat his stupid head in? Plot armor can't protect you from getting kicked in the nuts.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I thought Rick took a picture of Negan all trapped like a bitch when he could have gone in and killed him (but some elaborate plan was more important?).. and use the pic for later to look at and laugh to himself or something? Idk Rick is doing weird Rick things already

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Varg posted:

I thought Rick took a picture of Negan all trapped like a bitch when he could have gone in and killed him (but some elaborate plan was more important?).. and use the pic for later to look at and laugh to himself or something? Idk Rick is doing weird Rick things already

Rick clearly wanted to go in for the kill but the herd was closing in so he settled for the polaroid.

If someone gets their hands on a xerox and makes a bunch of pamphlets with that picture and "Your leader is a punkass bitch, surrender now" written under it and distributes them at Savior outposts I'll be a little nicer to this show :mil101:

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
One of the most unintentionally funny things in this episode was Rick running into frame shooting his gun in the air to scare off the guy Carl found.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Shitenshi posted:

I mean Negan is always bragging about his cock size so why doesn't Gabe just kick him in the nuts, take Lucille, and beat his stupid head in? Plot armor can't protect you from getting kicked in the nuts.

Well that's because

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I went home to visit for the first time in 10 months. My brother preferred Sunday Football and the WD S8 premiere to going to a haunted house with me.

Based on all the reviews in this thread, I should end myself out of shame to ranking below this lovely show.

:sigh:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

Oh my god literally gently caress everyone responding to valid critiques of Negan's plot-armor with "well he's in the comics for a long time so they can't kill him off" or "So you think they should have just killed him in the premier?? That's dumb."

No. That's... not what we mean at all...

fjkdjgfkdsfjkdsj

(not talking about here, just in general)

Yeeeep.

They don't get that the problem is "good writers don't make the bad guy dumb enough that he SHOULD die in 30 minutes, which is how he stays alive longer than 30 minutes."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Marmaduke! posted:

I stopped watching FTWD after the first season because it was abysmal, I think that's enough of TWD for me as well now.

It got entertainingly hate watchable in season 2 and really good by 3. It might be better you don't start since I am sure Season 4 will suck again given what happened.

They brought someone on with natural talent and he made it exceed the franchises expectations and AMC couldn't have that. The dam assault was better than literally any WD assault. A ton of character poo poo went down, the enemy had an actual loving plan that made some sense. They also realized how loving stupid and evil the hero characters were and started taking them down the straight up path to villainy.

But yeah, those of us who bothered with Fear I think are double-hit by this obnoxious poo poo because let's just say there were a few Negan like characters on Fear... I say a few because they found themselves shot to poo poo in 1-3 episodes. It was so Goddamn refreshing the way the plot moved over there. Even in the bad seasons they did the entire Hershel's Farm mirror story in 2 episodes.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 24, 2017

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I can give the show one thing, it is one of the few where I hate just about every character and really don't care if (actually wish) they die. Rick being something a masterstroke of the most bipolar character development on TV. Also the war against glass was hilarious. Almost made up for how the plan was so needlessly convoluted, in true TWD style.

I think A LOT of us are in that sunk cost land by this point. This is the show I play as I am stringing a guitar or something else equally mundane. Also, the host of the talking dead show (never watched it, gently caress that noise) has the most smug punchable face on TV.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This show entertains me.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

unlawfulsoup posted:

Also the war against glass was hilarious.

Suffer not the window to live, for treacherous glass brought about the apocalypse

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

This show entertains me.

For me it's gotten like Dexter did. The show mostly sucks but like you, yeah, it still entertains me on some level or I would not still be watching. There are occasional moments in each episode, and the overall post-apoc atmosphere of the show (plot and characters aside) I think is still well-done, but to be honest the SA thread entertains me more than the show. I used to save up episodes of this and binge them once the season is over but now I just watch them week-to-week so I can come here and laugh at the gifs.

I wish there was a new, good, post-apocalyptic show I could watch. I'm not aware of anything noteworthy except maybe that HBO Margret Atwood adaptation I read about a while back that is supposedly in the pipeline.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Since I doubt anyone’s making new windows, it’s kind of a good thing? An rear end in a top hat thing? I dunno, i can’t put too much thought into this show

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Without windows, it will get a bit chilly during winter. It's part of the siege.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm pretty much just watching the show for Ezekiel and his bro at this point.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'm pretty much just watching the show for Ezekiel and his bro at this point.

Him calling emo girl bro and shaking the Kingdom's body armour at her was the best part of the ep

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I liked the 8... 7... then start shooting angrily
Cut back and he has shot the wall 4 feet to the left and above Negan. I know it might not work for the story to gun Negan down, but man their aim is so awful sometimes it pulls me out of the whole thing

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
At the same time that's going on Darryl is bullseyeing poo poo with a Taurus Judge while riding his bike at 25 MPH

That's super unbelievable because those guns gently caress up if you even look at them wrong

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Remember guys, the only one who has to die is Negan

's windows.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

At the same time that's going on Darryl is bullseyeing poo poo with a Taurus Judge while riding his bike at 25 MPH

That's super unbelievable because those guns gently caress up if you even look at them wrong

And he shot Dwight's motorcycle tire, with a ~4 year old crossbow, through a fence, from what, a couple hundred meters?

~∆✓The Walking Bread✓∆~

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
even the zombie effects, which have always been great, are slipping. the zombie with the exposed teeth stickered onto his cheek was sub SiFi quality

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I noticed the zombie effects this episode looked so loving cheap and rubbery.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still loving the impenetrable Savior fortress has 20 zombies in front of it and they can't even move

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I hoped that Negans plot armour was going to end with Season 7. I can't do another Season of this. I can't. Noteven as a hatewatch.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
http://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2017/10/22/the-walking-dead-season-8-cast-salary/#3 cast salaries increase

https://mic.com/articles/161740/here-s-how-much-it-costs-to-make-an-episode-of-the-walking-dead#.LulHLTFiq budget cuts while high price per ad

Andrew Lincoln went from $92,000 per episode to $618,000 per, net change of +$526,000
Norman Reedus went from $80,000 to $550,000 net change of +$470,000
lets assume the other actors got a pay bump too
AMC lowered the budget from $3.4 million to $3 million, net change of -$400,000
so at a minimum the show costs like $1 million per episode more for season 8 than season 7, so lets cut the budget to save some money

AMC charges $326,000 per 30 second spot with 18 minutes of commercials nets $11,760,000 so after the $3 mil per, AMC is looking at over $8 million in revenue per episode
with 16 episodes per season I believe, AMC is going to clear $139 million on TWD. This seems crazy big money for such lovely CGI, wardrobe, practical effects, locations, etc.

makes me glad I cut the cable cord after Breaking Bad ended and now only pay Cox for the interwebs and some how come across TWD thru :filez:
I guess AMC did give me 4 good seasons of Halt and Catch Fire but why not, they are playing with house money

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
That was the stupidest thing I've watched since Under The Dome was cancelled

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't read this yet but I bet it's a better episode than last night's

https://www.reddit.com/r/thewalkingdead/comments/78blkk/i_didnt_know_there_was_a_wildcard_on_this_show/dotnekl/

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

TTerrible posted:

I hoped that Negans plot armour was going to end with Season 7. I can't do another Season of this. I can't. Noteven as a hatewatch.
Yeah. My wife, who is entirely new to the show, was deeply confused as to why no one in Rick's group shot Negan while he was standing out of cover for five minutes straight, some 30 feet away. There is no answer.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I’m more confused on why the didn’t shoot Eugene.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Under the past show runner and with the planned crossovers I was actually really down with seeing Fear vs TWD as the final season. The season 3 show runner on Fear (again, this season kicked the poo poo out of the rest of Fear as a show AND the last like 6 seasons of TWD) absolutely was building Madison to be super-Negan. And frankly it'd be great if they continued that, and I doubt they will now that they fired the really good show runner and replaced him with the idiot who brought us tonight's bullshit.

Seriously though, I can pretty much say the Clark family is far more dangerous than the loving Saviors at this point. They will burn anything they touch to ash and poo poo.
Well, poo poo. I hadn't realized that the replacement on Fear is the same moron that runs TWD. Apparently, we can't have nice things.

Fear was actually good this season, and not just in the trash that's entertaining sense.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

No Luck Needed posted:

http://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2017/10/22/the-walking-dead-season-8-cast-salary/#3 cast salaries increase

https://mic.com/articles/161740/here-s-how-much-it-costs-to-make-an-episode-of-the-walking-dead#.LulHLTFiq budget cuts while high price per ad

Andrew Lincoln went from $92,000 per episode to $618,000 per, net change of +$526,000

Dang, that's a huge amount for a British actor. You wouldn't even earn that in a year with Britain's most popular shows (maybe the odd chat show?).

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Marmaduke! posted:

Dang, that's a huge amount for a British actor. You wouldn't even earn that in a year with Britain's most popular shows (maybe the odd chat show?).

How much did lorry make?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ditty bout my clitty posted:

How much did lorry make?

She's been dead since season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

She's been dead since season 3.