Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That's really neat looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Moola posted:

i'm the cookie bases

You should challenge him to a basing bake off with your brownie bases.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Exinos posted:

You should challenge him to a basing bake off with your brownie bases.

gently caress you, Brownie bases owned

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone got those handy? Progressively looked more and more like brownies every time

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I haven't seen them, but I would like to.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im not linking them again someone else dig them up

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i found it for you

Moola posted:

So I tried to do some mud effects again

Old attempt:

New attempts!:

Also tried a cavalry base for KoW

Much happier with the consistency, and looks less like a chocolate brownie so far

Thoughts, comments, suggestions????

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I dunno, they looked more brownie like in my memory :thunk:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol

at first I didnt even notice what you did there

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Oh my god

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Now I really want fudge.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Kwyndig posted:

Now I really want fudge.
I find it difficult to read a discussion of Moola-bases and not get hungry.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Kaza42 posted:

Depends on what you mean by "mandatory". Some events require it, typically as part of a 3 color + base minimum. Also, most models look very incomplete with an unpainted base. However, this is mostly bad because people glue the model to the base, paint the model and then don't paint the base. This results in a base with some splotches of paint on it that is clearly just sloppy rather than intentional. Clean black bases don't look that bad.

However, I am a fan of an alternative: clear bases. Paint your model before gluing it onto a clear plastic base. Go over the outer edge of the base in black marker or paint. This causes less clash with the table (it's always weird to see desert bases on a snow table, for instance) and still gives you a very clear outline of where Your Model Ends, which is useful for anything that uses templates or base-to-base measuring. Here's an example of clear bases with and without the black rim (not mine):

Yup - I did my whole army that way, although my acrylic supplier charges much more for rounded bases than straight squares, so I'm all on (heresy!) square bases - which, with no blast templates any more, isn't an issue for the kind of casual games I play since at least I'm consistent with size. Looks good on any table, and lets me be super lazy about something I've never really actually enjoyed all that much.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I'm not a fan of bigmars, but the bases on these look super-rad, and I don't even care that they're on square bases. If that's heresy, I don't ever wanna be orthodox!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Oh my god look at those tiny scouts :kimchi:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Clear bases look pretty alright

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Xarbala posted:

I'm surprised and impressed!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I see someone else is not a fan of MKIV helmets either.

My Dark Imperiun bigmarine captain is rocking a Mk III and it looks great.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

JcDent posted:

I see someone else is not a fan of MKIV helmets either.

My Dark Imperiun bigmarine captain is rocking a Mk III and it looks great.

I ended up swapping helmets on about 2/3 of them - it's not so much that I don't like MkIV helmets (MkIV is actually probably my favorite mark all told) as that I like a more non-uniform look, for space marines in particular.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Beaks are the only helmet

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My friend did clear bases on some of his eru-kin models he uses in skirmish games. It's great because he can use the same models in a Lustria Mordheim campaign or in Frostgrave and they don't look suddenly out of place. My elves on grass don't fit either!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Beaks are the only helmet

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Xarbala posted:

Except that they'll all look like they're levitating a little bit off the ground.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Star Man posted:

Except that they'll all look like they're levitating a little bit off the ground.

Actually it looks like they insist on bringing their own plastic to walk on.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Star Man posted:

Given that the majority of bases are a couple of millimeters tall anyway, I see this as an improvement to the 200 micro hills scattered across the city.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

May I direct your eyes to the lower right

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Atlas Hugged posted:

Given that the majority of bases are a couple of millimeters tall anyway, I see this as an improvement to the 200 micro hills scattered across the city.

At that point, I might as well insert little metal weights into my plastic space guys and go baseless.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Not a cheetaur, don't care.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Too bad clear bases are specifically illegal in Warmachine.

Seeing you guys tear into that guy really makes me nervous about my painting, then again I am not advertising for commissions and am steadily improving.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I passionately hate painting and I complain about it as much as I do about Hams, but the first pictures from that guy looked super terrible and even my work looks amazing in comparison. That guy looks worse than Fighting Tigers of Vedna.

Watching a painting tutorial now and again helps... a little.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm sorry sir but clear bases have not been approved by the FDA

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

lokipunk posted:

Seeing you guys tear into that guy really makes me nervous about my painting, then again I am not advertising for commissions and am steadily improving.

The difference is you’re probably aware of your ability and limits.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
transparent bases look really cool imo

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

lokipunk posted:

No one in the SA hobby ghetto will poo poo on someone who is trying to improve. The painting & modelling thread is a genuinely excellent resource for information and assistance.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

No one in the SA hobby ghetto will poo poo on someone who is trying to improve. The painting & modelling thread is a genuinely excellent resource for information and assistance.

Seconded. The SA painting and modelling threads are probably the best resources I’ve found. Tons of really good knowledgable people and no assholes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Oh I'm an arsehole, but the P&M thread is hallowed ground.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

lokipunk posted:

If they're the right diameter they should be fine except the tournament formats that require basing.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

JcDent posted:

I passionately hate painting and I complain about it as much as I do about Hams, but the first pictures from that guy looked super terrible and even my work looks amazing in comparison. That guy looks worse than Fighting Tigers of Vedna.

Watching a painting tutorial now and again helps... a little.

The guy got to tabletop quality eventually, for which we'll salute him, but offering a paid service for him to paint your little plastic mans is stretching it, considering that he's hardly Golden Demon material, which is what I think the mockery was for. His 'hubris', I guess.

And I like those Fighting Tigers of Vidra. <:(>

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Terminator appears to have a scorpion tail. That model is air brushable as gently caress. Get that man a van

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

all of these are insanely rad