Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Randaconda posted:

Plato made a lot of poo poo up.

I wouldn’t be surprised. It was a neat detail though.

Blue Star posted:

From what I know, Atlantis isnt something that anyone really believed in. Even at the time, it was just an allegory that Plato came up with and everyone knew it. I think he was using it as a device to contrast with his idea of a perfect Athens. Like, Atlantis was super advanced and powerful but they werent virtuous like the Athenians were, and the Athenians end up defeating them because the gods are on their side, so Atlantis sinks beneath the waves. All of the thinkers and philosophers knew that Atlantis was just something Plato came up with, all through the Roman Empire and the Middle Ages. Im not sure when that changed but I think in the 19th century, when archeology was starting to become a thing, less knowledgeable folks started to make poo poo up about how Atlantis was totally real and Atlanteans founded the Mayans, the Egyptians, Mesopotamians, etc. and they had psychic spiritual powers. But that all came from "modern" people, not ancient times.

This makes sense as well. All the Edgar Cayce Atlantis stuff was :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Posting from Virginia Beach, VA, home of the Edgar Cayce foundation

I've been to their HQ, they've got some cool facilities and a great library of weird occult/metaphysical poo poo but they're fuckin obsessed with colonics

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

Atlantis was in what is now called Bolivia.

nah Uppsala, sweden

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

poverty goat posted:

Posting from Virginia Beach, VA, home of the Edgar Cayce foundation

I've been to their HQ, they've got some cool facilities and a great library of weird occult/metaphysical poo poo but they're fuckin obsessed with colonics

Is it still weird Christian psychic stuff? I haven't heard much about that crowd in some time. I think they're all dead.

Back on topic:

I kind of have to wonder how much of Luwian civilization is still buried in Anatolia. Would the current Turkish government even allow outside archaeologists to visit?

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I still find it ironic that the only hard* evidence of a large bronze age battle is way the heck north of civilization, of which no account of history can make any sense of.

Or, why are dudes from the Iberian peninsula brutally fighting other dudes in northern Germany. A place cold as gently caress with no writing or anything of value to anyone at the time.

By *hard I mean actual clumps of bodies of fallen soldiers with hacked up bones and lodged arrowheads. Also healed bones from previous battle wounds and fancy warrior swag for the time.

wide stance fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 23, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wide stance posted:

I still find it ironic that the only hard* evidence of a large bronze age battle is way the heck north of civilization, of which no account of history can make any sense of.

Or, why are dudes from the Iberian peninsula brutally fighting other dudes in northern Germany. A place cold as gently caress with no writing or anything of value to anyone at the time.

By *hard I mean actual clumps of bodies of fallen soldiers with hacked up bones and lodged arrowheads. Also healed bones from previous battle wounds and fancy warrior swag for the time.

chew on this: we've had organized societies a lot longer than we have had metal weapons. there is 6,000 years of what we would consider proper "history" with kings and cities and all that before the bronze age. the Neolithic, now thats a mysterious age. none of that poo poo was written down of course, because writing wasn't invented yet!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
did they release the translation of the words in the op I want to know what this supposedly says

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

wide stance posted:

The dates apparently don't match but here's what I want to believe happened: it's around the time of the bronze age collapse and the ruling elites all over Europe, whose power base derives from trade with the Mediterranean, are suddenly not having any traders show up and so a big expedition is sent out to figure out what the gently caress is going on. The site of the battle is as far as they came.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grevling posted:

The dates apparently don't match but here's what I want to believe happened: it's around the time of the bronze age collapse and the ruling elites all over Europe, whose power base derives from trade with the Mediterranean, are suddenly not having any traders show up and so a big expedition is sent out to figure out what the gently caress is going on. The site of the battle is as far as they came.

walking from spain to turkey is a bit of a challenge. they maybe should have taken a boat

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Maybe they didn't have ocean going boats.

Or maybe they were just tourists interested in the German countryside. I now think it's that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

that was conan times, right?

they were probably on a quest for some kind of magical circlet, or in a battle with the thralls of an evil wizard

naem
May 29, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

that was conan times, right?

they were probably on a quest for some kind of magical circlet, or in a battle with the thralls of an evil wizard

Conan was set in the the chaotic dark ages after Bronze Age civilization collapse and before the Iron Age reorganized people back into nation states, especially the part with the giant snake

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

All mythical stories of heroes battling "dragons" can actually be rationally explained as fights with giant snakes.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Or finding dinosaur fossils and assuming that somebody must have killed it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
fossils were real animals at one point and we always knew this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

naem posted:

Conan was set in the the chaotic dark ages after Bronze Age civilization collapse and before the Iron Age reorganized people back into nation states, especially the part with the giant snake

I recall learning in Classical Studies that a lot of Homeric stories and mythology were basically the Greeks looking back at a bygone era before the collapse and reformation of civilisation, a historical wild west where anything could have happened.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
So does anyone know what happened to Cornwall and other big areas of tin mining in this period?

There was definitely very large amounts of trade between the British isles and the rest of Europe in the Bronze Age (there are artifacts from the rest of Europe here, and Cornish and Welsh tin all over the place), and presumably some work has been done looking at if there was some kind of horrible war or punitive expedition by some party or other that was real mad about Bronze, but nothing that's like popular knowledge.

The reason I'm interested is because there were definite "sides" in Europe at the time of the collapse. You have an Atlantic trading bloc out of Portugal and into the UK + Ireland plus the west coast of France and some of the Spanish interior, and then a much lesser spread of those goods further into the continent, plus the weirdo bridge battle thing.

It's not that long a walk, and certainly not that long a sail if you're got a boat that can handle a bit of chop, so there probably were states that were stopping people doing it.

Blue Star posted:

From what I know, Atlantis isnt something that anyone really believed in. Even at the time, it was just an allegory that Plato came up with and everyone knew it. I think he was using it as a device to contrast with his idea of a perfect Athens. Like, Atlantis was super advanced and powerful but they werent virtuous like the Athenians were, and the Athenians end up defeating them because the gods are on their side, so Atlantis sinks beneath the waves. All of the thinkers and philosophers knew that Atlantis was just something Plato came up with, all through the Roman Empire and the Middle Ages. Im not sure when that changed but I think in the 19th century, when archeology was starting to become a thing, less knowledgeable folks started to make poo poo up about how Atlantis was totally real and Atlanteans founded the Mayans, the Egyptians, Mesopotamians, etc. and they had psychic spiritual powers. But that all came from "modern" people, not ancient times.
My guess, and this is a guess, is that it has a lot to do with the academic importance of the rediscovered Greek texts around the same time as European-but-mainly-really-German debates about the textual truth of the Bible in the 15th-17th centuries, and then the knock-on effect that had all over again in the 19th when Germany was reformed and there was yet another cultural war about Protestantism (which maintained that Everything That's In A Book Must Be True) and Catholicism (which didn't, but was on the wane).

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Pfft bronze age, get a load of these guys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucuteni%E2%80%93Trypillia_culture

quote:

During the Middle Trypillia phase (c. 4000 to 3500 BC), populations belonging to the Cucuteni-Trypillia culture built the largest settlements in Neolithic Europe, some of which contained as many as 3,000 structures and were possibly inhabited by 20,000 to 46,000 people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm the world's first town drunk.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm the world's first town drunk.

i'm ur-gay

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

SniperWoreConverse posted:

did they release the translation of the words in the op I want to know what this supposedly says

Good point. I will look it up tonight and try and post it here.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Speleothing posted:

Or finding dinosaur fossils and assuming that somebody must have killed it.

Nevermind the bones of sabertooth tigers, mammoths, direwolves and cave bears that were only recently extinct. it's just common sense that a cave full of neolothic monster bones would be inhabited by an even bigger monster

iirc nile crocodiles used to get all up around the mediterranean as well

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 24, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i invented cucking (your several thousand times great grandfather)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poverty goat posted:

Nevermind the bones of sabertooth tigers, mammoths, direwolves and cave bears that were only recently extinct. it's just common sense that a cave full of neolothic monster bones would be inhabited by an even bigger monster

iirc nile crocodiles used to get all up around the mediterranean as well

I wish at least a few of the North American megafauna had survived.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i already tried my man, they just dont seem interested in the neolithic. this is bronze town. perhaps we should make our own neolithic thread, maybe give it a flintstones theme?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

We need a new thread to talk about how cool Ötzi was.

Killing people with his bow and arrow, and pulling the arrows out of them to kill again.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Killing people with his bow and arrow, and pulling the arrows out of them to kill again.

They probably lured him into that glacier because it was the only was they could ever hope to kill him.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Rutibex posted:

i already tried my man, they just dont seem interested in the neolithic. this is bronze town. perhaps we should make our own neolithic thread, maybe give it a flintstones theme?

Naw, I'm super into it. The real trick is to get people to stop talking about iron age things like Rome and Greece.

Tell me about the big cities. Did Zuul wreck some faces?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Speleothing posted:

Naw, I'm super into it. The real trick is to get people to stop talking about iron age things like Rome and Greece.

Tell me about the big cities. Did Zuul wreck some faces?

no one really knows! none of it was written down or remembered. at best we can say things like "this culture makes pottery like this, unlike the culture over here that makes pottery like that". there are mass graves with weapon wounds from that period, so there was definitely something resembling warfare from time to time:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/17/mass-grave-prehistoric-warfare-ancient-european-farming-community-neolithic

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

wide stance posted:

Long article about the battle here:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle

quote:

A bronze arrow penetrated this skull, reaching the brain.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Randaconda posted:

I wonder is somebody accidentally left the gate open, would giraffes and elephants walk out of zoos and be able to survive in the south? As long as nobody shot them of c.

Everything's bigger in Texas so why not?

naem
May 29, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

I recall learning in Classical Studies that a lot of Homeric stories and mythology were basically the Greeks looking back at a bygone era before the collapse and reformation of civilisation, a historical wild west where anything could have happened.

Since bronze doesn't rust we have this wealth of amazing material culture to study from this era (and lots of curiosity as a result) but very few solid facts. We still have to guess about things to this day.

These are 3000 year old swords from China as sharp as the day they were made-

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I was going to ask about him. was he from the bronze age?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Randaconda posted:

last photo of surviving megafauna, dated 1893

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Rutibex posted:

What's super interesting to me is the early bronze age, when the first primitive (advanced) civilizations and religions had just formed. It's kind of fun to try and imagine what life was actually like for people in the first bronze age civilizations, like say first or second dynasty Egypt, and it's really sad we don't know anything about it and never will.

And how did the people in the eastern Mediterranean regions and Mesopotamia get so much more advanced than everyone else early on? Does it just boil down to "trade hub"?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks! That was an interesting read.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

ArmZ posted:

I was going to ask about him. was he from the bronze age?

He was a Neolithic man. He had a copper axe though.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Someone earlier mentioned giant snakes. There actually were giant snakes and lizards in prehistoric times, like the titanoboa and megalania. Also terrestrial crocodiles in Australia. They were all too ancient to coexist with Neolithic or Bronze Age humans, but man, just think if they did. That scene in Conan the Barbarian where they steal the jewel from the temple could have really happened.

There were actually mammoths in Siberia up until historical times, too.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

naem posted:

Since bronze doesn't rust we have this wealth of amazing material culture to study from this era (and lots of curiosity as a result) but very few solid facts. We still have to guess about things to this day.

These are 3000 year old swords from China as sharp as the day they were made-

how were these made, seriously. They're beautiful.

I want to melt down my beer cans and steal scrap copper and make this how do I do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Yeah, they were extinct at 1700 BC, which means that there were still mammoths around when people started building pyramids in Egypt.

• Locked thread