Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Argas posted:

I don't recall nukes every being used against Jaburo?

Also, don't forget that the Battle of Loum was going to be the precursor to a second Operation British.

Manatee Cannon posted:

zeon randomly carpet bombed the area where jaburo was and I think he might have confused that with the titans arming a nuke in jaburo to kill the invading aeug?

They tried to nuke it prior to Operation British in the very early stages of the war when everyone was going full balls out warcrimes on each other, but Zeon wasn't actually 100% positive of the pinpoint location of Jaburo and the place is effectively a gigantic underground bunker so it didn't actually stick. They moved up to a colony drop because they needed a bigger, even more indiscriminate boom. It being a gigantic underground bunker is also why the Apsalus project was built around creating a beam cannon the size of Texas, incidentally.

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea that doesn't make much sense considering how big a deal they make of jaburo getting nuked in z gundam

The Z Gundam Jaburo nuke was a deliberate trap set up from the inside designed to ensnare and obliterate an occupying force, which is guaranteed to be 1000% more devastating than throwing bombs at a hardened bunker from the outside when you only have a vague idea of where the bunker actually is. That, and by the time of Z Gundam nukes are explicitly meant to be Super Not Good for anyone to use by an international law so sacred that even Zeon didn't overtly violate it when they were on the brink of existential destruction(bar one or two instances like M'Quve at Odessa), so the Z Gundam one was deliberately played up in the narrative as both another checkbox in the "holy poo poo the Titans are evil" column and to also help distinguish the Titans from the Federation.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're waaaay off the mark with the upgrades. There's a major plot point to starting off incomplete, and that's so the Earth Factions dont know about their full arsenal. It's even explicitly stated in the third episode because now they know just how fast the Kyrios can ACTUALLY go, good work Alleluyah :rolleyes:.

Yup. It's the reason why Tieria's eyes keep welling up with tears in the first half of S1 because all of those goddamn Gundam boys, himself included, keep showing off the full capabilities of their suits - from Dynames' ability to snipe things in the stratosphere to Gundam Nadleeh hiding under Virtue's bulk.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

What's the deal with all those exposed cables on Zakus and the little air vents on their faces? If the cables are important, couldn't you just, you know, yank them off? Amuro did that a few times. I think I remember an episode of Star Trek where Picard or Worf or someone was killing the Borg by just yanking their exposed cables out.

:spergin: warning, but I had actually been thinking about this a little bit recently.

Even the Gundam has a little vent on it's face so I think we can just assume there's a radiator of some kind behind it, after all you can't make a mountain of metal walk about without creating a little heat. The Zaku pipes, though, make more sense if you consider the Zaku II to be a straight refit of the Zaku I rather than a full update. I imagine those pipes contain power conduits and pipes for stuff like propellant etc. The original Zaku was probably lacking in mobility and in order to keep using the mass stock of Zaku I parts and manufacturing toolings they just added extra piping on the outside where they couldn't fit it within the legs and body of the original design. As for its vulnerability in close combat, I imagine the Zaku IIs were intented for mid-range with close combat as a last resort so it wasn't as much of a concern as it would be on the Gouf for example, which is set up for close combat and so features much less piping. For real world military examples, check out self-propelled guns. A lot of them have lightly armored and sometimes completely open fun crew compartments because they're just not expected to get into close combat so its not a concern.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LuiCypher posted:

Yup. It's the reason why Tieria's eyes keep welling up with tears in the first half of S1 because all of those goddamn Gundam boys, himself included, keep showing off the full capabilities of their suits - from Dynames' ability to snipe things in the stratosphere to Gundam Nadleeh hiding under Virtue's bulk.

And any time something new gets shown off it is not treated as a good or cool thing to see, because now the Earth factions know about it :cripes:.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

RillAkBea posted:

As for its vulnerability in close combat, I imagine the Zaku IIs were intented for mid-range with close combat as a last resort so it wasn't as much of a concern as it would be on the Gouf for example, which is set up for close combat and so features much less piping. For real world military examples, check out self-propelled guns. A lot of them have lightly armored and sometimes completely open fun crew compartments because they're just not expected to get into close combat so its not a concern.

But the whole point of mobile suits is close combat because Minovsky particles disrupt radar and long range communication which makes them regress to more old-fashioned style of combat. Otherwise they'd just have drones and shoot lasers & missiles from miles away and not bother with giant robots.

Granted, giant robots are probably not practical military weapons in any situation, but Minovsky particles are as good of an excuse as any.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

That reminds me of something I was thinking of earlier. What do the heads in mobile suits even do beyond having cameras, looking cool and sometimes vulcan guns in them? On people that's where the brain is, but most mobile suits have the pilot in the chest.

What's the deal with all those exposed cables on Zakus and the little air vents on their faces? If the cables are important, couldn't you just, you know, yank them off? Amuro did that a few times. I think I remember an episode of Star Trek where Picard or Worf or someone was killing the Borg by just yanking their exposed cables out.

A mobile suit’s head is, much like an animal’s head, a sensor and communications array that’s as high up the body as possible in order to increase its range during ground combat (and can rotate to allow for 360-degree coverage without compromising the array’s armour). It also often serves as a small gun turret. It’s a fairly practical piece of anatomy, really. As for the vents, sensor arrays can get really loving hot. It also lets the head serve like a submarine’s snorkel in marine combat, ejecting any waste gasses that might build up in the suit while underwater.

As for the cables on the Zaku, the answer is simple - it’s a very early suit design, and they hadn’t yet figured out how to armour or internalise those without compromising the suit’s range of motion or weight distribution. It’s the same reason the Exia has so much exposed cabling.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

A mobile suit’s head is, much like an animal’s head, a sensor and communications array that’s as high up the body as possible in order to increase its range during ground combat (and can rotate to allow for 360-degree coverage without compromising the array’s armour). It also often serves as a small gun turret. It’s a fairly practical piece of anatomy, really. As for the vents, sensor arrays can get really loving hot. It also lets the head serve like a submarine’s snorkel in marine combat, ejecting any waste gasses that might build up in the suit while underwater.

As for the cables on the Zaku, the answer is simple - it’s a very early suit design, and they hadn’t yet figured out how to armour or internalise those without compromising the suit’s range of motion or weight distribution. It’s the same reason the Exia has so much exposed cabling.

Yeah that makes sense. I always just figured there was a couple cameras in there plus a radio antenna and then a lot of empty space, because unlike an animal, the "brain" (pilot) is in the chest.

Also I haven't followed this thread in forever so this is probably old news and you've all seen it, but I just discovered the Method-2 and it's cool as hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ldJswGpkjY

I discovered it because of that whole Japan vs. USA robot battle, but it turns out that Korea has the best one. People have made "mechs" before, but they always have wheels, treads or just kind of shuffle along the ground. I've never seen a bipedal robot that actually walks and has a pilot in it. It's more like a giant Asimo and isn't nearly as smooth or agile as Boston Dynamics' robots, but I doubt DARPA is sharing that tech with a lot of people.

I would watch videos of Boston Dynamics' Petman, Atlas and BigDog and I'd always think "what they really need to do is make that, but bigger and put a man inside it." Of course, DARPA isn't going to do that because there's no practical reason to do so and it would be pretty dangerous, but I don't care about that. It would be cool as poo poo!

So very slowly we're starting to see real life mechs and this has been a dream of mine since childhood. We're probably not going to see them on the battlefield anytime soon, or ever, but maybe someday in our lifetimes that tech will be cheap enough for construction and hobbyists.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When the Zaku II was rolled out it was for fighting ships, not other Mobile Suits. Zeon probably assumed that they didn't need to worry about the cables being grabbed because the war would be over before the Federation could roll out anything that could grab them.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

A mobile suit’s head is, much like an animal’s head, a sensor and communications array that’s as high up the body as possible in order to increase its range during ground combat (and can rotate to allow for 360-degree coverage without compromising the array’s armour)

Why do they have faces though?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Booyah- posted:

Why not? People personify tanks and planes, and there's the thing of painting shark teeth on old bombers. I mean in reality designers wouldn't waste time or money on more complicated parts, but it's at least not a stretch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Booyah- posted:

Most mobile suits besides the gundam itself don't really have much of a face. GMs have their sad visor, while Zakus and the like just have a camera eye.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

"The classic MS-06 Zaku II. In the author's opinion, its trademark power cables are most likely used to transfer thermal energy for propulsion, electrical generation, and cooling purposes. This theory is, however, at odds with the official explanation"

"The official explanation for the Zaku II's cables is that they transmit hydraulic power to actuators in the mobile suit's joints. This always struck me as absurd, for why would the Zaku need to transmit hydraulic power from its belly to its backback, or from its muzzle to the back of its head? Likewise, early mobile suits like the Zaku II and the Gundam are usually said to use traditional chemical rocket engines, but this seems to defeat the purpose of having a thermonuclear reactor in the first place."

Courtesy of Mark Simmons

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Booyah- posted:

If they didn't have faces they couldn't make that "bwooommm" sound as their eyes lit up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Psychological impact, of course. Any eighteen-metre-tall humanoid war machine is obviously going to be at least partially a terror weapon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The pants making GBS threads bwoooom that Char's Zaku emits at the start of Origin as he dunks a Magellan class is epic.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Droyer posted:

If they didn't have faces they couldn't make that "bwooommm" sound as their eyes lit up.

When a Zeon suit's eye moves around then lights up and goes BWWWWOOMM it's the coolest thing

Infected posted:

"The classic MS-06 Zaku II. In the author's opinion, its trademark power cables are most likely used to transfer thermal energy for propulsion, electrical generation, and cooling purposes. This theory is, however, at odds with the official explanation"

"The official explanation for the Zaku II's cables is that they transmit hydraulic power to actuators in the mobile suit's joints. This always struck me as absurd, for why would the Zaku need to transmit hydraulic power from its belly to its backback, or from its muzzle to the back of its head? Likewise, early mobile suits like the Zaku II and the Gundam are usually said to use traditional chemical rocket engines, but this seems to defeat the purpose of having a thermonuclear reactor in the first place."

Courtesy of Mark Simmons

I remember Mark Simmons used to have a website where he had profiles of all the mobile suits and made original artwork for them all and it was the coolest thing in the world. I miss that site.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also I haven't followed this thread in forever so this is probably old news and you've all seen it, but I just discovered the Method-2 and it's cool as hell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ldJswGpkjY

:captainpop:

I love this exchange:

INTERVIEWER: Is that the intention of the robot, to be used as sort of a safety device to rescue humans or go places where humans can't go, or is it more for recreational use?
CEO: So let me ask you: What would you use this robot for?
INTERVIEWER: Fighting.
CEO: :same:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Gammatron 64 posted:

When a Zeon suit's eye moves around then lights up and goes BWWWWOOMM it's the coolest thing

BBBBVVVVVVVVMMMMMM

BBBWWWWOOOOOMMM

BBBBBWWWWAAAAHHHHH

You can tell the Gouf is stronger because it always looks angry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's my secret, Amuro. I'm always angry.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I remember there being an interview with Tomino about how he had them scrap the original designs for the G-Arcane because it was "too sexy." I'm curious if anybody knows if they ever released the original concept art in any material.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

God, Zakus are too sexy. I love them and all of their crazy variants.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jackhunter64 posted:

BBBBVVVVVVVVMMMMMM

BBBWWWWOOOOOMMM

BBBBBWWWWAAAAHHHHH

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 24, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

everythingWasBees posted:

So I remember there being an interview with Tomino about how he had them scrap the original designs for the G-Arcane because it was "too sexy." I'm curious if anybody knows if they ever released the original concept art in any material.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

No, ask for your fap material somewhere else

jackhunter64 posted:

BBBBVVVVVVVVMMMMMM

BBBWWWWOOOOOMMM

BBBBBWWWWAAAAHHHHH

I love scenes where the monoeye just looks straight at the screen \ our heroes and goes BWWWOOMMM because you're like "oh poo poo he just saw me, poo poo's gonna get real"

I also really like Cylon Centurions and Sniper Joes from Megaman. Evil robots are always best when they are a cyclops and have one glowing red eye that moves around.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That they included the eye activation sounds was one of the best parts of build fighters.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The other best gundam sound effect is when you're in the cockpit and something goes dididididididi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgtV_byet7s

Also also that weird rear end sound on the White Base bridge that's like booo booo booo beeee bbeee beee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDsqJrTdPeU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gammatron 64 posted:

The other best gundam sound effect is when you're in the cockpit and something goes dididididididi

Also also that weird rear end sound on the White Base bridge that's like booo booo booo beeee bbeee beee

Dont forget the "bhhhhhiing" of the 00 suits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsEO-eNT3cw&t=4s

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I wish Gundam Versus wasn't 40 bucks because I'm all nostalgic for robots but I'm also garbage at high-speed multiplayer. I can barely handle Splatoon 2, I can't imagine how badly that game would treat me.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Not sure if this has been posted here before but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuVTPIQgMqE

EEEUUGHHH?!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

The answer here is that early in production all the mecha were just gonna be power armor, and presumably they kept some of the designs when they changed the concept.

I don't think that's the answer. I can't seem to find it, possibly because the archives have been gutted, but a year or two ago some guy on /m/ posted translated interviews with Okawara about his design work, which included his input on the designs for 0079. He put a lot of the recognition for the base of various designs on Tomino now that I think of it, who he said came up with several of the designs almost completely and which he just had to clean up, but that was mostly stuff later in the show (I want to say the Elmeth for one, though I can't recall definitively) but he came up with a lot of the initial designs himself; including the RX-78-2 and Zaku II, both of which he made no mention of being power armor at any point. More to the point though, when talking about the Zaku II he does mention the hoses, which he thought added an element of villainy to them and made the design more dynamic and gritty if I recall. They were never put in with any purpose in mind, they were just there because he felt like the design needed some extra detail to work.

The closest I can find is an off site link to this interview, which does mention something about the power pipes being added just for visual flair but doesn't have the entire point about them being there simply to add a further visual clue about the unit being an enemy and so on.

Monaghan posted:

If there's one thing I learned in gundam, the side that produces more types of mobile suits inevitably loses.

Stick with boring multipurpose grunts and you'll win!

G, Wing and Turn-A kind of turn that on it's head. The winning side in G effectively has no grunts and really only uses a multitude of one off custom specials while the Devil Gundam has a handful of grunt types and a few special ones like the Heavenly Kings, but has no where near the sheer amount the Shuffle Alliance and it's allies have by shows end. Though you could count the Windmill Gundam as the good guys one mass produced "grunt" I guess. White Fang only have a handful of grunt types in Wing too (Virgo, Virgo II and Taurus) along with the Epyon, but the protagonists have 5 one off prototypes. Then in Turn-A the Ghingham Faction has only one real grunt suit, the Mahiroo, while Ameria uses 3 (the Borjarnon, the FLAT/Armadillo and the Kapool) while they also ally with the Dianna Counter has 4 (the WaD, the WaDom, the FLAT and the SUMO) and the Ghingham Faction loses.

Kanos posted:

They tried to nuke it prior to Operation British in the very early stages of the war when everyone was going full balls out warcrimes on each other, but Zeon wasn't actually 100% positive of the pinpoint location of Jaburo and the place is effectively a gigantic underground bunker so it didn't actually stick. They moved up to a colony drop because they needed a bigger, even more indiscriminate boom. It being a gigantic underground bunker is also why the Apsalus project was built around creating a beam cannon the size of Texas, incidentally.

Where is this stated? Cause it doesn't seem to make sense to me, even putting aside that I've never seen anything talking about it. The One Year War began with the "3 Second Warning", with Zeon using nukes on various colonies after 3 seconds but using one of the now vacated colonies for orbital bombardment within the first day or two of the war. It didn't hit for a few days, because it took time to travel that far, but as far as I know Isle Iffish was diverted towards Earth within the first day or two of the war. Which makes sense given the whole "Blitzkreig" mentality of Zeon; that they needed to hit harder than anyone could fathom right at the start to win the war. Them using a volley of nukes and then resorting to a colony when that fails goes against that mind set since nukes, even a lot of them, are fathomable while dropping a colony was a brand new thing and had never happened before as well as being horrific in ways nukes aren't. Even the timeline doesn't seem right, since the decision to do it after nukes fail and then organization of something that abhorrent would take more than the day or two the various timelines allow.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Speaking of 0079, what's everyone's favorite piece of recycled animation? Mine is probably whenever Sayla prints off a report from the computer and Bright snatches it from her so she gets pissed off.

Also, I feel dumb, but I just realized that the Neue Ziel is literally just a flying Zeon insignia.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 25, 2017

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pierson posted:

I wish Gundam Versus wasn't 40 bucks because I'm all nostalgic for robots but I'm also garbage at high-speed multiplayer. I can barely handle Splatoon 2, I can't imagine how badly that game would treat me.

Very very badly. I'm fairly used to playing high-speed multiplayer and I still have trouble keeping up with the action in Gundam Versus. :sweatdrop:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I barely play multiplayer games in general, let alone fighting games, and I adapted well enough after a series of beatings

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, I feel dumb, but I just realized that the Neue Ziel is literally just a flying Zeon insignia.

"It's like the spirit of Zeon itself has come to life," says Gato; I guess he was being pretty literal.

That, and it helps that the thing put the I-Field inside of the mobile armor unlike the GP03.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Finally watching Turn-A 14.

"Suicide squadron? That's kind of an apt name for a bunch of redshir-"

They're loving Zakus. :roflolmao:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Finally watching Turn-A 14.

"Suicide squadron? That's kind of an apt name for a bunch of redshir-"

They're loving Zakus. :roflolmao:

Don't underestimate the fighting spirit of the mighty Borjarnon!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Marvel's getting a bit insane with the rebranding for all their known heroes.

https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/923394351056728064

Also you just know someone's getting thrown off that plane in the back and shot in the head but you can't see it because of CAPTAIN AMERICA.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Marvel's getting a bit insane with the rebranding for all their known heroes.

https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/923394351056728064

Also you just know someone's getting thrown off that plane in the back and shot in the head but you can't see it because of CAPTAIN AMERICA.

Everyone knows Duo is the American one, though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If Heero wasn't American than why is the Wing Gundam red, white, and blue? Hmmm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Raxivace posted:

If Heero wasn't American than why is the Wing Gundam red, white, and blue? Hmmm?
Maybe he's... shudder French.