Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yes, this is easy to observe irl if you're interested. People in wealthier neighborhoods are less likely to observe the "walk on the right" standard for US pedestrians and much more likely to refuse to swerve if they're about to run into someone.

:yeah:

That's loving horrifying :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ze Pollack posted:

hillary's book features a delightful digression on the perks of being first lady of arkansas featuring free labor provided by the local penitentiaries. in and of itself? gross, but hey, it's the south.

the part where she explained that it was totally okay, because they had ~lesser emotional intelligence~ than her, and so this was the best way they could be of service to society, was what took it to full on "what the flaming gently caress is wrong with this person"

Oh yeah, I actually forgot about this. I think you're mildly misrepresenting it but quibbles about justifications for convict labor are, uh

not a thing I want to dig a particularly deep hole on

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm sending this one back to the kitchen!!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

these people are among the most powerful on the planet and you and other posters here are giving them the agency of a small child or a poor indigenous villager lmao

‘check your privilege’ lol

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haha you gigantic loving wetass. You could have quit pages ago. You could have crawled off and licked your wounds and joined the offsites and Certain Mods and whined about me and what a niggercunt animalthing I am and been given tons of fun conspiracy theories to masturbate to, but you just. keep. digging.

Since someone with a functioning brain kindly did your homework for you, I see that you are in fact singling out HC for something many, many white men are guilty of as well. Again.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

If you are literally going to call someone a slaveowner you are going to explain what the gently caress your thinking is, you geyser of human poo poo.

Here's a great example from cspam:

quote:

"The state of Arkansas used convict labor on state-owned properties for maintenance."

"OH MY GAWD HILLARY OWNED SLAVES"

I worked in a prison and the inmates cleaned my classroom and office. Did I own slaves too? You guys should take the time to read about what life was like for Hillary Clinton in Arkansas.

State owned properties in this case being the governor's mansion where she was first lady

quote:

I dunno if you're being ironic but yes you did

The police and prison system is designed to deprive African-Americans of their freedom and force them to work for below legal wages

Essentially any employment in our prison system is slavery-lite due to coercion etc but some can't help but turn it into something insane.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

tekz posted:

💯

The preceding years had seen a massive increase in executive power as well, and I wonder what someone that wasn't an empty neoliberal tan suit like Obama could've done with it. What a waste of a moment.

ftfy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Young white westerners are just as regressive as their parents. The only reason you're seeing progress in the younger generation is because your parents and grandparents didn't succeed in sterilizing quite as many of our parents and grandparents as you hoped.

This isn't 100% accurate.

Young white westerners are still disproportionately regressive relative to the overall population -- you're not wrong that a great deal of the "progressiveness" of "millenials" derives from there being a lot more minority millenials -- but young whites are more progressive than old whites. There's improvement even within the demographic..

Now you can break that down even further issue by issue and it depends on how you slice "white" and "progressive" but (for example) even evangelical white youth are far more likely to state themselves as pro-LGBT equality than their parents or grandparents would be.

I mean, yes, it's true that 48% of white voters 18-29 voted Trump, and only 43% of that demographic voted Clinton, but old white voters voted much more strongly for Trump -- he had an outright majority (53% to 45% of the over-65 vote; 58 to 37% of white voters overall).

So yes more young whites voted for Clinton than for Trump but another way of looking at the same numbers is that Trump experienced a 10% drop among white youth relative to the white population overall. The millenial whites are better, as faint praise as that may be.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

silence_kit posted:

these people are among the most powerful on the planet and you and other posters here are giving them the agency of a small child or a poor indigenous villager lmao

Dijon Mustard

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Haha you gigantic loving wetass. You could have quit pages ago. You could have crawled off and licked your wounds and joined the offsites and Certain Mods and whined about me and what a niggercunt animalthing I am and been given tons of fun conspiracy theories to masturbate to, but you just. keep. digging.

Since someone with a functioning brain kindly did your homework for you, I see that you are in fact singling out HC for something many, many white men are guilty of as well. Again.

:chloe:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This isn't 100% accurate.

Young white westerners are still disproportionately regressive relative to the overall population -- you're not wrong that a great deal of the "progressiveness" of "millenials" derives from there being a lot more minority millenials -- but young whites are more progressive than old whites. There's improvement even within the demographic..

Now you can break that down even further issue by issue and it depends on how you slice "white" and "progressive" but (for example) even evangelical white youth are far more likely to state themselves as pro-LGBT equality than their parents or grandparents would be.

I mean, yes, it's true that 48% of white voters 18-29 voted Trump, and only 43% of that demographic voted Clinton, but old white voters voted much more strongly for Trump -- he had an outright majority (53% to 45% of the over-65 vote; 58 to 37% of white voters overall).

So yes more young whites voted for Clinton than for Trump but another way of looking at the same numbers is that Trump experienced a 10% drop among white youth relative to the white population overall. The millenial whites are better, as faint praise as that may be.

Yeah that's a great point! It's really encouraging to see that some of the current wedge issues might be dead even among fundamentalists when the next generation comes into power. The LGBT thing I'd credit hugely to the normalizing effect of television. That's why I fight so hard for diversity in media, even though it might not seem on its face to be as important as, say, prison reform. Anybody you see on some lovely sitcom can't stay the boogieman for long.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Seriously explain this "slaveowner" bullshit you throbbing two-inch unwashed cock.

In short, the Clintons when serving as governors of Arkansas enjoyed a 'tradition' of using prison labour to maintain the governor's house (this itself was born from jim-crow style laws made after the creation of the 13th Amendment, which gave the loophole of enslaving prisoners still being legal). With just that anecdote one could say "well that's was just the thing with Arkansas, every other governor also did this"

And that would be true! But unfortunately Hillary also wrote in her autobiography about her time in the mansion. Her remarks were....less than humanizing. She basically did what she called "studies" on them, and was shocked when they actually had human concerns and were courteous. Additionally, while the Clintons were wary of the prisoners and often limited what they could do severely out of fear, another arkansas governor called Jimmy Carter had actually been heavily involved in seeking justice for workers in the governor's house when he served.

TLDR: Clintons were pretty gross and complacent with a horrible tradition and contributed to the tradition's humiliation, which is made worse when considering Tough On Crime policies the Clintons would seek in the white house.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

silence_kit posted:

I bet you'll next regale us with an accounting of the end of racism due to the ascension of a black man to "among the most powerful on the planet."

Like. gently caress, dude. Do you know how easy it is to say the POTUS is "the most powerful human being one earth?" How loving common a statement that is, how prevalent that idea is the world over? You can't even say it about Obama, and I don't know... I just can't imagine why that is. Anyone got some ideas?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

What?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

Essentially any employment in our prison system is slavery-lite due to coercion etc but some can't help but turn it into something insane.
Read the thirteenth amendment

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ze Pollack posted:

hillary's book features a delightful digression on the perks of being first lady of arkansas featuring free labor provided by the local penitentiaries. in and of itself? gross, but hey, it's the south.

the part where she explained that it was totally okay, because they had ~lesser emotional intelligence~ than her, and so this was the best way they could be of service to society, was what took it to full on "what the flaming gently caress is wrong with this person"

That was indeed a weird thing to read but boiling it down to a recited one word own on a single politican doesn't exactly indicate sincere concern.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I think it's another good time to point out that when a PoC is telling you something is racist, or a woman is telling you something is sexist, you should err on the side of caution and believe them, because they live with that poo poo every day. They have more experience with it than you do.

In this case you have multiple women and poc telling you both and you're refusing to believe us because???

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Yes, but some states are far worse about this, and the Clintons were certainly in a position where they didn't have to exploit slave labor (let alone humiliate them) if they didn't want to. It wasn't even a law.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

I think it's another good time to point out that when a PoC is telling you something is racist, or a woman is telling you something is sexist, you should err on the side of caution and believe them, because they live with that poo poo every day. They have more experience with it than you do.

In this case you have multiple women and poc telling you both and you're refusing to believe us because???

PoC can be racist and sexist too. Like you were earlier.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Motto posted:

That was indeed a weird thing to read but boiling it down to a recited one word own on a single politican doesn't exactly indicate sincere concern.

It's mainly about throwing it back in the face of posters they found themselves frustrated with for many months, who had taken on the mantle of being the Superior Social Leftism Ubermensch. I don't think that was the case for everyone, and plenty of pro-Hillary people admitted that was horrible or converted when it was brought up, but there was enough people on Twitter and the like defending it that the one-word-own kept traction.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

white sauce posted:

PoC can be racist and sexist too.
Ok, but that has nothing to do with us talking directly to you.

quote:

Like you were earlier.

lmao you tried it

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The funniest thing how is if one person on my ignore list pops up, half a dozen others will show up within a page or two. The minute I so much as breathe "hey don't be sexist" it's a solid wall of jerk detected. Love to know what tentacle rape themed discord chat these alerts all go out on.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Just as being wealthy and politically powerful doesn't mean you can't be subject to sexism, being a woman also doesn't immunize Hillary, the standard bearer of the Democratic party during the election that brought us President Trump, from criticism for the policies she pushed for 3 decades.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think this is all reverse racism and sexism.

Which is almost as bad as reverse reverse racism and sexism.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i don't like pelosi because she thinks antifa should be arrested

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

Ok, but that has nothing to do with us talking directly to you.

lmao you tried it

My bad, I didn't know you had a monopoly on what's considered racist or not

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MooselanderII posted:

Just as being wealthy and politically powerful doesn't mean you can't be subject to sexism, being a woman also doesn't immunize Hillary, the standard bearer of the Democratic party during the election that brought us President Trump, from criticism for the policies she pushed for 3 decades.

Yes however, for the eight billionth time, if you are criticizing a woman or a minority for something while giving all the white man who do the same thing or worse a pass, you are The Problem.

Not listening the first 7.99... billion times is also part of The Problem.

Condiv posted:

i don't like pelosi because she thinks antifa should be arrested

I don't like Condiv because he's a shitweasel binary-brained moron who repeats whatever he hears that sounds fun to repeat, just like Trump.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

white sauce posted:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ze Pollack posted:

I really look forward to the day Democrats have a new generation of elected leaders in power just so we can stop getting caught up defending the Clintons

They did some good things and some bad things and they were unfairly targeted with a lot of bullshit and Hillary especially was the victim of a lot of misogyny but her era is over now and I'm really looking forward to the day the internet realizes that and moves on (presumably to demonizing some other new female politician instead).

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

white sauce posted:

you have three loving pages of probations and bans for posting gems like "Lol human being" at people, how about you take that morally outraged index finger out of the air before you strain a muscle

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I really look forward to the day Democrats have a new generation of elected leaders in power just so we can stop getting caught up defending the Clintons

They did some good things and some bad things and they were unfairly targeted with a lot of bullshit and Hillary especially was the victim of a lot of misogyny but her era is over now and I'm really looking forward to the day the internet realizes that and moves on (presumably to demonizing some other new female politician instead).

Reminder: The chair of the house oversight and judiciary committees have opened an inquiry into the FBI's handling of the Clinton E-mail case.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

chuck schumer is trash too cause he thought compromising on slashing obamacare was a good idea when no-one wants obamacare slashed or repealed

and tom perez sucks cause he went back on his 50-state strategy and decided to dump millions on a bland loser

i'd like that we have new dem leaders tbh

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

dream on heronymouse alloy, 50 years from now I will be out in the clinton family cemetary ranting and raving like a loon about emails, in the pouring down rain

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

USpol is a flat circle

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Yes, this is easy to observe irl if you're interested. People in wealthier neighborhoods are less likely to observe the "walk on the right" standard for US pedestrians and much more likely to refuse to swerve if they're about to run into someone.

I do enjoy people watching and noticing things like this. The earliest I became cognizant of how background affects behavior is when I lived in Hawaii and noted how 1st generation immigrants from Asia interacted and moved different in public from that standard. Then I went to Asia and everything started to make sense.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Calibanibal posted:

dream on heronymouse alloy, 50 years from now I will be out in the clinton family cemetary ranting and raving like a loon about emails, in the pouring down rain

Wait that was you on Sunday?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chilichimp posted:

Reminder: The chair of the house oversight and judiciary committees have opened an inquiry into the FBI's handling of the Clinton E-mail case.

Yeah, but in political terms that shouldn't matter any more once we have some new, non Clinton leaders in place. It's reflexive muscle spasms in a corpse. Republicans can drum up funding by pounding the HITERLY drum but in a sane world at least that stops mattering once she isnt' anywhere on the ballot

of course maybe we no longer live in a sane world

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Yes however, for the eight billionth time, if you are criticizing a woman or a minority for something while giving all the white man who do the same thing or worse a pass, you are The Problem.

Not listening the first 7.99... billion times is also part of The Problem.

She was the presidential candidate for the election that brought us Trump and unified GOP control, of course she's going to be discussed most prominently in discussions about the future of the Democratic party.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

I do enjoy people watching and noticing things like this. The earliest I became cognizant of how background affects behavior is when I lived in Hawaii and noted how 1st generation immigrants from Asia interacted and moved different in public from that standard. Then I went to Asia and everything started to make sense.

Yeah it's neat! Hard to get mad at immigrants for not conforming since it is an arbitrary standard, after all, but the running into people if they don't step out of your way thing is exclusively the behavior of assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i don't trust tulsi gabbard

is that sexist? or a reasonable stance?

• Locked thread