Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cpt.Americant posted:

So he's the first president ever to say god is on our side then? No one else has used those words?
That was not the words Bush used. He literally said that god told him to invade Iraq.

quote:

And even if I went with the other version, I'd argue that "god told me to" is still more measured language than 9/10 statements Trump has made. Because unlike Trump, Bush went out of his way to assure Muslims we were not at war with you
If you want to assure muslims that you're not war with them you should avoid using words like "crusade". The fact that Bush used inflammatory rhetoric all the time (like "axis of evil" which actively hurt US/Iran relationship) isn't changed by the fact Trump is using even more inflammatory rhetoric.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ornedan posted:

Would you like to substantiate this little smear of yours?

It's simple, you see: centrists are cool and calm about this. They are the better men. Progressives, conversely, are dumb, and so goddamn crazy

Centrists would never think of doing anything as childish and immature as "blowing up the coalition when they don't get everything they want," they merely "clean house" of anyone who would ever dare oppose them, like worldly-wise adults. There is a huge distinction there.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Oh yeah, a reverse cleaning of the house. Nice.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Goddamnit, we agree on 90% of everything. This is a turf war over personnel rather than issues. This gets back to my point about Bernie loyalty being confused for ideology. What even is centrism anymore?

When I think about blowing up the coalition, I think about going on Fox News to attack your own party. I think about contributing to the platform before endorsing Jill Stein. I think about spreading lies because they make the Dems look bad. I think about kvetching for months about how you just don't know if you'll vote. These things happened.

To get back to cartoons:

https://twitter.com/PKuperArt/status/922830064781266944

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Shangri-Law School posted:

When I think about blowing up the coalition, I think about going on Fox News to attack your own party. I think about contributing to the platform before endorsing Jill Stein. I think about spreading lies because they make the Dems look bad. I think about kvetching for months about how you just don't know if you'll vote. These things happened.

Did all of the people who get reshuffled contribute to these things? I mean I guess pissing upstream is as good a reason as any, but it seems odd considering the number and the types of people who replaced them, right?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

all progressives must be purged from the party mechanism because some progressives have said they don't trust the party mechanism

that hurts the party mechanism's feelings :(

Also, ideology is meaningless!!! We agree on everything anyway!!! That's why the minority of people who disagree with me personally on that other 10% of stuff have to be fired. They had it coming because of Internet comments.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Sandpuppy posted:

I can't decide if I'm the framed jersey with a TV mounted directly over it, or the teacup handles on the beer mugs.

I'm both of the elbows on the right arm of the guy in the Tebow jersey

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

albany academy posted:

Did all of the people who get reshuffled contribute to these things? I mean I guess pissing upstream is as good a reason as any, but it seems odd considering the number and the types of people who replaced them, right?

One of them definitely did (James Zogby). The rest, I don't know. But by the same token I don't know if they lost their jobs because they supported Keith Ellison. At some point, if we want to put together a winning team, we have to trust each other, or at least pretend to until after the ballots are cast.

And again, the DNC is a committee that raises money and decides presidential nomination rules, not the ideological organ of every Democrat in the country.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(foreignpolicy dot com, where I stole that specific quote from, thinks it's bullshit... but, well, let's just say it's recent enough to be partisan.)

I think it's bullshit too, but for a different reason.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/andrewbrown/2009/aug/10/religion-george-bush

quote:

President Jacques Chirac wanted to know what the hell President Bush had been on about in their last conversation. Bush had then said that when he looked at the Middle East, he saw "Gog and Magog at work" and the biblical prophecies unfolding. But who the hell were Gog and Magog? Neither Chirac nor his office had any idea. But they knew Bush was an evangelical Christian, so they asked the French Federation of Protestants, who in turn asked Professor Römer.
That's major stdh.txt right there. All it's missing is the mention that Professor Römer's name was Albert Einstein, and that the whole room clapped.

Anyways the forpo article is bullshit too because its point is essentially "man, if only the invasion of Iraq had been perceived as legitimate" instead of, you know, "man, if only it didn't happen".

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

It would be nice for everyone to get along with everyone in the party, sure, but purging dissenters is a pretty short term solution and if anything it exacerbates the existing problems in the long run. I'm not familiar with zogby, but if their highest crime is "voted for not Hillary" then this is a really stupid strategic move that's just going to take a lot of chips out of a lot of shoulders.

Also the DNC isn't an ideological organ sure, but it contributes financially and lends credibility to those it deems worthy of public support, so I think it has more sway than what you're claiming. I mean yeah, sure, just because it dumps millions into a state level politicians campaign doesnt mean it's going to win, but they tried and that counts for something. It is, at the very least, dictating not just nomination rules but federal and state level strategy, and to suggest it's just a glorified community chest is disingenuous, because even being the sole allocator over such a resource grants some level of power over those elligible to receive it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

I think it's bullshit too, but for a different reason.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/andrewbrown/2009/aug/10/religion-george-bush

That's major stdh.txt right there. All it's missing is the mention that Professor Römer's name was Albert Einstein, and that the whole room clapped.

Anyways the forpo article is bullshit too because its point is essentially "man, if only the invasion of Iraq had been perceived as legitimate" instead of, you know, "man, if only it didn't happen".

Chirac's loving catholic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

Mark 7:21-23
For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Zesty fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 24, 2017

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Chirac's loving catholic.

That doesn't prove or disprove anything, Gog and Magog aren't a 'thing' in Catholiscism. That and the rapture, young earth creationism etc are pretty idiosyncratically American.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mediadave posted:

That doesn't prove or disprove anything, Gog and Magog aren't a 'thing' in Catholiscism. That and the rapture, young earth creationism etc are pretty idiosyncratically American.

They're in the bible. He could've just checked his bible.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

They're in the bible. He could've just checked his bible.

The bible doesn't say poo poo about who they are or what they mean.

"Son of man, set thy face against Gog, the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him,"...gee thanks.

Anyway, everyone knows they're the guardian giants of the City of London https://lordmayorsshow.london/history/gog-and-magog.html

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish this dumbass food fight didn't exist, but since it does, we should really just indulge the "progressives" because giving them what they want prevents them from turning into whiny dicks, and it doesn't do any harm. The fact that they - the left - are marginally better on policy is just a bonus.

I wonder, whar did the DNC members who voted for Perez gain that was worth alienating thin-skinned Bernie supporters who see persecution around every corner, and can't find the real threats to our country with a map and compass and Waze? I don't really understand what either side is bitching about, but I don't see "centrists" rending garments when somebody says "$15 minimum wage". "Centrists" are not going to sit out an election because they don't want single-payer and the candidate does.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 24, 2017

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

This is just Fox News before Hannity and Tuck the Cuck come on lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mediadave posted:

The bible doesn't say poo poo about who they are or what they mean.

It... does? In the few paragraphs following the one you posted* it literally does tell you everything you need to know about them to be able to decipher the VERY CRYPTIC meaning of "Gog and Magog at work" i.e. that someone is picking a fight with our one true lord. (Well actually vice versa I guess.)

*) You fucky contrarian piece of poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 24, 2017

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

drat that CNN and MSNBC for showing all those dramas, crime shows and sexy lady shows. Not like Fox....

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

I wish this dumbass food fight didn't exist, but since it does, we should really just indulge the "progressives" because giving them what they want prevents them from turning into whiny dicks, and it doesn't do any harm. The fact that they - the left - are legitimately better on policy is just a bonus.

I wonder, whar did the DNC members who voted for Perez gain that was worth alienating thin-skinned Bernie supporters who see persecution around every corner, and can't find the real threats to our country with a map and compass and Waze? I don't really understand what either side is bitching about, but I don't see "centrists" rending garments when somebody says "$15 minimum wage". "Centrists" are not going to sit out an election because they don't want single-payer and the candidate does.

You'd be surprised; Bernie voters showed up in the GE at a higher proportion than Hillary voters did in the 2008 GE

but your main point, that purging progressives from the DNC is Perez cutting off his nose to spite his face, is still correct

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Things sure are bad under President Hillary Clinton.

http://time.com/4992101/hurricane-harvey-texas-dickinson-israel/

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Oh jeez. :ughh:

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

quote:

The Russian Nuclear firm Rosatom bought *cough**cough*Canadian*cough**cough* mining company Uranium One in 2010. The deal gave Putin control over *cough**cough*20% of the U.S. Uranium supply.*cough**cough*

The Hill reported last week that the FBI knew that *cough**cough*Russian nuclear officials*cough**cough* were involved in racketeering schemes in the U.S. prior to the purchase. The *cough**cough*Russians*cough**cough* had also *cough**cough*directed*cough**cough* millions of dollars to the Clinton Foundation and *cough**cough*paid*cough**cough* Bill Clinton hundreds of thousands in speaking fees.

Robert Mueller was FBI Director when the probe of possible Russian collusion on nukes began*cough**cough* in 2009*cough**cough* and James Comey was director when it ended in *cough**cough*2015.*cough**cough*

Meanwhile, Attorney General Eric Holder and Secretary of State Clinton both sat on *cough**cough*a*cough**cough* committee that approved the Uranium One deal in *cough**cough*2010.*cough**cough*

Mark Steyn’s reaction: “Fancy that! A racketeering scheme centered on the Clintons! Who’da thunk it?”

Unlike the current “Russia investigation”, where details of dawn raids on Paul Manafort are gaily leaked hither and yon, Mueller and Comey managed to keep the lid on this one for the six-plus years it was active. And happily it doesn’t seem to have obstructed either the Clintons’ or the Russians’ mutually beneficial relationship.

Wow someone get Bok a lozenge!

Here let's see if I can do the same for him!

From *cough**cough*1981 to 1982*cough**cough* he was staff editorial cartoonist at the Clearwater Sun in Clearwater, Florida. In *cough**cough*2017*cough**cough* a *cough**cough*teen*cough**cough* was charged with second degree murder in Clearwater Florida for killing someone during a car jacking. Clearwater Florida is home to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium where three dolphins have died. But don't let that stop Chip Bok from enjoying his mutually beneficial relationship with the local paper who *cough**cough*paid*cough**cough* him. It is also the Headquarters of the Church of Scientology. It's leader was L Ron Hubbard. Chip Bok went to the University of Dayton in *cough**cough*1974*cough**cough*, the year Ronald DeFeo killed his entire family in *cough**cough*Long Island*cough**cough*, and the year the *cough**cough*Turkish Airlines *cough**cough* flight crashed making it the deadliest plane crash in history! But don't let that stop Chip Bok's mutually beneficial relationship *cough**cough*with Dayton*cough**cough* home of the major recruiting scandal!
Some guy's reaction: "Chip Bok is a friggin' wiener."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fuuuuuck

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

sweet jesus:chanpop:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:discourse:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Brexit demands – UK business leaders have urged government to establish a transition deal that mirrors existing arrangements, or risk losing British jobs and investment"

Telegraph:

Blue Planet II: Why Sir David will never tire of his work

Independent:

Brexit: Furious EU chiefs say Theresa May dinner leaks intended to 'undermine' Brussels, in unprecedented statement

Times:

Trump bickers with soldier's widow over condolence call

Evening Standard:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ornedan posted:

Would you like to substantiate this little smear of yours?

He doesn't really have to. Just substitute every single argument that leftists used to say that the DNC isn't important and its an insult to give it when Tom Perez gave Keith Ellison the position he currently holds.

The pattern is that everything leftists are given isn't important, and is the biggest insult ever, and every perceived slight is actually the most crucial thing, and also the biggest insult ever. Anything less than total and complete supplication is being blackballed.

Mellow Seas posted:

I wish this dumbass food fight didn't exist, but since it does, we should really just indulge the "progressives" because giving them what they want prevents them from turning into whiny dicks, and it doesn't do any harm.

No it doesn't, it just leads to them declaring what they were given as worthless, and crying that its an insult that they were even given it. I point you to the 2016 party platform, which progressives have said was just lies after they were allowed to dictate it, and we ended up with one of the people who loving wrote the platform campaigning for Jill goddamn Stein.

loquacius posted:

You'd be surprised; Bernie voters showed up in the GE at a higher proportion than Hillary voters did in the 2008 GE

No, of those that voted, they voted in a higher percentage for Hillary than the similar situation in 2008. You seem to keep forgetting the four crucial qualifying words "Of those that voted".

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Discendo Vox posted:

This coverage is pretty openly poo poo-stirring.

Agreed. Using the word "purge" in the headline is deliberately provocative, as is most of the article I could bear to read.

Shangri-Law School posted:

I like how the map-territory relation has slid so far that loyalty to Bernie Sanders IS progressivism.

Yep. Bernie Sanders didn't invent left-wing economics. He had good ideas, but also plenty of flaws, and if people care about the ideas then they should find someone who'll be younger than 79 in 2020 to carry them forward.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I love Nattering Noggins.

Also every day that that's still a thing that dominates American news is a bad day.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Political Cartoons and articles 1917-1918
https://imgur.com/a/xG3bB

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Yep. Bernie Sanders didn't invent left-wing economics. He had good ideas, but also plenty of flaws, and if people care about the ideas then they should find someone who'll be younger than 79 in 2020 to carry them forward.

:agreed:

the field is kind of thin atm unfortunately; I'm still a big Keith proponent (since his DNC post is ceremonial and useless) but he probably won't run, and Liz might have missed her window

but, as I said before, if you can only parse the current Dem factional divide as personal allegiance to one politician or another, it just kind of proves you don't understand the issue at all

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

gently caress me that is incredible

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

If you told me in 2008 president Donald Trump would be gettting harsh buzz from the Mother Goose and Grimm guy I would have shot myself with joy.

It’s more ‘bittersweet’ now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mike Peters is kind of like Darrin Bell in that he is much better at political cartoons than regular ones

• Locked thread