Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

But think about how many spaceships he could buy instead

For :10bux:? That doesn't even get you a job mopping floors in the 'Verse, son.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

Blue On Blue posted:

I have a controversial opinion on the citizen con coming up

It will be loaded with technical errors , both from the production stand point and the game itself. I think we should have a counter for the number of game breaking bugs and crashes

I'd be surprised if they take in 250k that day

They made a couple mill off the power of this years gamescom.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

Vertisce of r/ds attempting research on a non-Derek Smart topic

Shuttle Crew Operations Manual - 2.13 GNC - Translational Hand Controller (THC)

Shuttle Commander's Station - THC is visible to the left of the Rotational Hand Controller

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

I feel dumber having read this.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
hehe Poopbrain the indidev

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

#4 (Merge sort) is the best.

woop woop wooop woooooop wooooooooooooooop!

Blue On Blue posted:

I have a controversial opinion on the citizen con coming up

It will be loaded with technical errors , both from the production stand point and the game itself. I think we should have a counter for the number of game breaking bugs and crashes

I'd be surprised if they take in 250k that day

I predict two outcomes:

1) CIG runs a presentation full of bugs that makes the shambles of Gamescom look competent; backers are stretched to breaking point if not failure cascade entirely.

2) CIG managed to convince a third party to code a mock-up of 3.1/3.2/4.0/whatever ala Gamescom/Citizencon 2016; backers claim that CIG have 'saved the day' and that they have renewed faith in the project. New backers possibly join as a result and CIG limps ahead for another year.

Given how large Citizencon is this year (maybe a distraction for a lovely keynote speech?) I'm guessing 1 might be on the menu this week.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

The Escapist once wrote a negative article about Star Citizen.

Daztek posted:

They said bad things about Star Citizen so Chris Roberts and MoMA sued them into the ground and took all their money

tooterfish posted:

The same reason the Aztecs thought human sacrifice made the sun come up.
Oh good. I was afraid they might have something other than "Star Citizen is the single most important thing in the world, so this event must be connected to it."

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Star Citizen is life changing, I pledged and now I am no longer bothered by my wife or the idea that I might own a home one day

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

BeigeJacket posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325785661/vortx-4d-environmental-simulator

hahaha look at this terrible waste of money. It's been a while since ive seen a KS that literally made me lol.

Makes you wonder what kind of wasteful moneybags thinks this would be a good.....

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/920787299042021382

Oh.

how does that work for room scale? My gpu and amp work as a heater and I have a fan for cool.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

“I might be wrong, but i -choose- to be wrong.”

It’s such a microcosm :allears:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Oh hey it's like those theaters that had vibrating seats and air blowing on people during action scenes and stuff "for a more immersive experience."

Luckily for this company the technology caught on and is now in every theater everywhere. It's a good thing too because if this poo poo was pointless and actually really irritating and distracting their business might have a few challenges.

I bet they make a billion dollars with a stock offering.

actually for racing having bass transducers is really good. feeling the bumps adds a lot of realism to the car. Not to mention feeling the backend losing traction is important. In VR it adds a fundamental missing feature. To the point that at times my body releases adrenaline when I bake corners and am about to crash. Not sure if others have experienced that or if motion rigs get that but a few times - it has been well crazy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Abuminable posted:

I feel dumber having read this.

Fascinating opportunities arise for my character xxxjailb8tinaxxx.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

ManofManyAliases posted:

To each, his own.

I'll tell all of you off in 4 years when the game is finally released.

Can I quote the poo poo out of this? Please clarify!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

Can I quote the poo poo out of this? Please clarify!

God help us if we're all still here in four more years.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

LOL.

You will be.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Beet Wagon posted:

If CR and Sandi can they will be.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

D1E posted:

LOL.

You will be.

Of course we all are. We can't miss the unveiling of 3.2

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

BeigeJacket posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325785661/vortx-4d-environmental-simulator

hahaha look at this terrible waste of money. It's been a while since ive seen a KS that literally made me lol.

Makes you wonder what kind of wasteful moneybags thinks this would be a good.....

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/920787299042021382

Oh.

Nice space heater. Does it simulate the vitality destroying ash cloud that comes with large fires as well? Only way I can really get immersed in my games.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thoatse posted:

It's more dependent on if you bought duct tape actually certified for duct work or just picked up a $1.00 roll of 'duct tape' from the local hardware store; the quality variance is about as big as the difference between a real AAA game vs whatever the gently caress you can call SC.

This is true too! Don’t be cheap on your duct tape if you want longevity!

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
This might sound like an odd question, but....

Are there game mechanics that these idiots are all getting behind and circlejerking about?

I think it would be kind of hilarious to just drop in and provide a counterpoint to see people up in arms about game mechanics that may or may not exist in the current collection of jpegs

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Omniblivion posted:

Are there game mechanics that these idiots are all getting behind and circlejerking about?

I think it would be kind of hilarious to just drop in and provide a counterpoint to see people up in arms about game mechanics that may or may not exist in the current collection of jpegs

Golf swings for radar searches or some such horse shite.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oh my god. That’s wonderful. :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

To each, his own.

Holding out for 7.0?

I think you’re right. 7.0 really is when the massive pipes kick in and things start coming together. Though I’m personally holding out for 8.0, where that add in a second loving mission giver! Can you imagine that? Two of them!!! Why I’ll barely be able to contain myself when I get a quest from another guy to go to one of the eight points of interest in the game!

Post your favorite upcoming feature in 7.0 or 8.0 to help moma get the willies and excitement goosebumps in all his places!!!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

one day this is going to be read out by a character actor on a later season of 'mindhunter'

We can only hope.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Escapist is running on fumes because it has no interesting content at all, and the only thing that brings in any money is Yahtzee's poo poo, which you can watch on Youtube a week later.

It was clearly the fault of Derek, and that article about SC from over 2 years ago.

Yahtzee came from here, btw, lol.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I guess the next big reveal is custom cig branded heaters and fans for the true experience as you ride your buggy across the barren surface of a moon

Maybe for 100k Ben Will show up at your house and throw bits of rock at your face

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sunswipe posted:

I don't have the energy to wade through a load of Shitizen bollocks at the moment. Can anyone summarise how they think Star Citizen had anything to do with The Escapist's problems?

The rise and fall of companies as Star Citizen never gets out of alpha will always happen. If one of these companies said something about the game, CIG, or any of their friends and family, they had it coming and it is clearly Chris Roberts deciding to drop the hammer on them instead of completely unrelated events that caused corporate failure.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

So I guess the next big reveal is custom cig branded heaters and fans for the true experience as you ride your buggy across the barren surface of a moon

Maybe for 100k Ben Will show up at your house and throw bits of rock at your face
I'll pay over the odds for stupid pointless hardware as much as the next dadgamer, but you can get hosed if you think I'm widening my doors too.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

These drat kids probably didn’t even back for 10k like I did.

Good thing for this guy though, if a baby was born when Star Citizen began, he or she would be almost 6 years old now. It’s probably safe to say that that baby will probably have kids of their own before Star Citizen actually releases. So really he should be worried about today’s kids having kids years from now, honking in on his game and wrecking his lawn immersion!

Join this guy in preventing all these unborn babies from coming in and wrecking his game! Just imagine what the face over ip will look like!! Bunch of ratty kids sticking out their tongues, picking their noses... totally ruins my experience as an alpha tester over the next few generations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Quoting this so in 4 years I can find it, as I write snarky comment number 690,000 about how this game is definitely going under in the next 42 days because nobody, loving nobody, can be stupid for so long.

And yet I’ll be wrong.

And if I’m not here, somebody quote me for me because it’ll be like a blast from the past from that crazy lady with the totally not sinking boat avatar.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

The Titanic posted:

...because nobody, loving nobody, can be stupid for so long.

You're talking about CIG here, right?

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Blue On Blue posted:

Yeah I don't see Ben going anywhere by his own volition, I'd say that for 100k they'll send you a bag of gravel; they'll patch in the machine that throws it at your face later.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Omniblivion posted:

Currently the game is in modules, not connected.

There is a jank filled FPS level (Star Marine).

A jank filled racing segment (???).

A jank filled ship arcade wave shooter (Arena Commander).

And a jank filled “persistent universe” that is neither persistent or a universe. This is the most popular part and it symbolizes what they want the future to be.

Except functional, not janky, full of promises, and filled with 1000 people in a single instance at a time having massive fleet battles as they battle in space, on board the ships fighting in space, on the ground, and also bring video recorded by a news van space ship simultaneously. Also everybody has face over ip because you need to be immersed fully when watching somebody playing a video game because that is when they are most expressionate.

Right now you can log in, go to your shop, and run a couple of missions between a two space stations and some random comm array things.

Overall there is approximately two hours of content if you don’t crash, and everything after that is just “because you are a masochist”.

There is no trading, mining, or other stuff. You can log in and shoot at other players or some AI pirates that have minimal actual AI.

Supposedly you can also push around a vending machine, but only you can see it.

There may be more now, but it is all in secret avocado testing, but rumor has it don’t expect much.

Good luck, Citizen. You better buy in now. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dogeh posted:

You're talking about CIG here, right?

It’s a double edged sword.

I often feel stupid as well for posting about a poo poo game I never even played.

I’m basically around because I want to “be there” when CIG gets it’s just reward for being gamings biggest scam in history I think.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The Titanic posted:

It’s a double edged sword.

I often feel stupid as well for posting about a poo poo game I never even played.

I’m basically around because I want to “be there” when CIG gets it’s just reward for being gamings biggest scam in history I think.

This thread and the SC saga are basically my soap opera. There are days when 50% of the conversations between myself and my roomie (who also reads this thread) are about what CIG and the various characters involved have done now. It's deeply, satisfyingly entertaining.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

ManofManyAliases posted:

To each, his own.

Toxx on it. SC will be released as a final product by then, or you're banned. You may choose to eat a "genuine leather" belt in video for the thread to avoid the ban.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

Fatkraken posted:

This thread and the SC saga are basically my soap opera. There are days when 50% of the conversations between myself and my roomie (who also reads this thread) are about what CIG and the various characters involved have done now. It's deeply, satisfyingly entertaining.

Seriously its basically like me watching a scrubs episode or some poo poo every day. Oh J.D/CR

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
While this is a great soap opera, All My Children is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus posted:

Vertisce of r/ds attempting research on a non-Derek Smart topic

Shuttle Crew Operations Manual - 2.13 GNC - Translational Hand Controller (THC)

Shuttle Commander's Station - THC is visible to the left of the Rotational Hand Controller