Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It's not an educational visa, dummy, it's a program to foster international camaraderie by sponsoring lucrative drinking holidays. If you can't see the upside in spending a few months working a highly-paid poo poo job with your buddies then maybe you should have tried using your twenties to travel somewhere other than Azeroth.

Fair point, I'm soured from how Busch Gardens used/uses them and kneejerked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

If you can't see the upside in spending a few months working a highly-paid poo poo job with your buddies then maybe you should have tried using your twenties to travel somewhere other than Azeroth.

Ahahaha gently caress

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Are you new? Don't applaud me, you're suppose to launch a multi-year posting grudge and squat on offsites plotting to kill my dog.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Are you new? Don't applaud me, you're suppose to launch a multi-year posting grudge and squat on offsites plotting to kill my dog.

But... I like dogs. I don't wanna kill a dog :(

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Avenging_Mikon posted:

But... I like dogs. I don't wanna kill a dog :(

Don't worry they doxxed the wrong dog anyway 😂

Grassy Knowles is 100% right though, theme park jobs are abusive. J1s should work at bars in fun cities and get laid a lot. I ran with the aforementioned Chicago Irish crew and one of the hidden benefits of the program is it let's LGBT guest workers try out life in an openly queer community

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:smithfrog: I thought we had something special.

I rescue doggos friend.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

sneakyfrog posted:

:smithfrog: I thought we had something special.

I rescue doggos friend.

Aw I'm just teasing :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Aw I'm just teasing :3:

oh ok then

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Edit: Busch Gardens is fun. I like their kangaroo petting zoo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Get a loving room you creeps

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Firing random broadsides at passing dogs as you cruise the streets hoping to get the dog that belongs to someone you disagree with on the internet. Sounds like an Upright Citizens Brigade sketch.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

It's not an educational visa, dummy, it's a program to foster international camaraderie by sponsoring lucrative drinking holidays. If you can't see the upside in spending a few months working a highly-paid poo poo job with your buddies then maybe you should have tried using your twenties to travel somewhere other than Azeroth.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Also look like, cleaning is a terrible job. No one deserves to do it, but short-term, with your friends, for much more money than you'd usually make, that might be just about the most humane way to get the job done. If all our society's scutwork was handled in rotation like that we might have a better world.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I see tons of J-1 workers in the summer and they all seem absolutely thrilled to be so far away from home, with spending money, and able to live in a different culture for awhile. Makes me wish I had done something like that when I was young.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Are J-1 visas the reason I see so many Israeli people working those little kiosks at the mall?

It's nice because I can just be like "no thanks" in Hebrew and they don't try to press the sale.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kelp Me! posted:

Are J-1 visas the reason I see so many Israeli people working those little kiosks at the mall?

It's nice because I can just be like "no thanks" in Hebrew and they don't try to press the sale.

Possibly! I bet it brightens their day to hear their language from an American.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm actually Israeli too but I've lived in the US since I was a kid so my English is flawless but my Hebrew is slightly accented (although the real dead giveaway to locals is that my Hebrew slang is outdated as gently caress, because 99% of the people I speak the language to are my parents). It'd be like going to China and meeting someone who speaks fluent English but unironically uses words like "groovy" or "far out" :v:

If I'm in a good mood I like to respond creatively, I've gotten laughs from reactions like "you really think even Dead Sea salts will clean up this ugly mug?"

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Oct 24, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Good stuff.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My sister went on a J1 the last two years and had a great time, she worked with my older brother's girlfriend's family each year though so she was lucky she got a nice job in that respect. They are a good idea and a cool way to spend some time in another country for a summer.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm actually Israeli too but I've lived in the US since I was a kid so my English is flawless but my Hebrew is slightly accented (although the real dead giveaway to locals is that my Hebrew slang is outdated as gently caress, because 99% of the people I speak the language to are my parents). It'd be like going to China and meeting someone who speaks fluent English but unironically uses words like "groovy" or "far out" :v:

If I'm in a good mood I like to respond creatively, I've gotten laughs from reactions like "you really think even Dead Sea salts will clean up this ugly mug?"

That's adorable. As a kid most of the slang I used was goofball 70s lefty stuff because of my dad. I called my kindergarten teacher a "narc" once.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's adorable. As a kid most of the slang I used was goofball 70s lefty stuff because of my dad. I called my kindergarten teacher a "narc" once.

Due to exposure to her maternal grandfather, my 5-year-old daughter once referred to a policeman minifig as a “pig”.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Subjunctive posted:

Due to exposure to her maternal grandfather, my 5-year-old daughter once referred to a policeman minifig as a “pig”.

niiice.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

Tell her she's made an old man in Queens proud :unsmith:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

If there is some kind of weird forum story here that you're up for sharing, then please do.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
noooooooooo

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Don't worry they doxxed the wrong dog anyway 😂

Kinda worried about that other dog :ohdear:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Grandmother of Five posted:

If there is some kind of weird forum story here that you're up for sharing, then please do.

There's an offsite that I won't name because they namesearch. Back when The Great Race Space was created (a sizable chunk of Forums Drama itself), that offsite giddily mined every poster there for things they could attack, with the participation and encouragement of a prominent SA person who also namesearches. At one point they were focusing on a trans poster, and one creep got extremely excited that he had managed to doxx that person's dog and posted photos of it. Only, as the other creeps quickly figured out, it wasn't the right dog.

Dog-doxxing is now my shorthand for that kind of behavior, because it is easily the funniest doxxing-related thing that has ever happened.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Young white westerners are just as regressive as their parents. The only reason you're seeing progress in the younger generation is because your parents and grandparents didn't succeed in sterilizing quite as many of our parents and grandparents as you hoped.

Haha you gigantic loving wetass. You could have quit pages ago. You could have crawled off and licked your wounds and joined the offsites and Certain Mods and whined about me and what a niggercunt animalthing I am and been given tons of fun conspiracy theories to masturbate to, but you just. keep. digging.

Since someone with a functioning brain kindly did your homework for you, I see that you are in fact singling out HC for something many, many white men are guilty of as well. Again.

You could have a problem.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

There's an offsite that I won't name because they namesearch. Back when The Great Race Space was created (a sizable chunk of Forums Drama itself), that offsite giddily mined every poster there for things they could attack, with the participation and encouragement of a prominent SA person who also namesearches. At one point they were focusing on a trans poster, and one creep got extremely excited that he had managed to doxx that person's dog and posted photos of it. Only, as the other creeps quickly figured out, it wasn't the right dog.

Dog-doxxing is now my shorthand for that kind of behavior, because it is easily the funniest doxxing-related thing that has ever happened.

lol

My favorite similar thing is how someone posted an obvious joke-picture in a SA "post your daily outfit" thread, and some moron, in an attempt to dox that person, took the obviously fake picture at face value and made fun of their outfit, which involved them doing owns on their skirt, which was plainly just a towel that they had wrapped around themselves in order to make a silly outfit as a joke post.

Grognan posted:

You're not presenting whatever weirdo grudge you have very well.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Grandmother of Five posted:

lol

My favorite similar thing is how someone posted an obvious joke-picture in a SA "post your daily outfit" thread, and some moron, in an attempt to dox that person, took the obviously fake picture at face value and made fun of their outfit, which involved them doing owns on their skirt, which was plainly just a towel that they had wrapped around themselves in order to make a silly outfit as a joke post.

You're not presenting whatever weirdo grudge you have very well.

Yeah I got a sick burn about sexually identifying as a porpoise recently, by someone who'd been on these forums for at least ten years. Lmao.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Grognan posted:

Don't do this.

As always this isn't the thread to grind axes in. It's to observe and laugh at funny sagas. Ideally finished ones.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

EmmyOk posted:

Don't do this.

As always this isn't the thread to grind axes in. It's to observe and laugh at funny sagas. Ideally finished ones.

Well, speaking of finished ones, Moneyball never did apologize for calling me "it," though he did apologize to the BWM thread for closing it because they were criticizing him for calling me "it."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Yeah I got a sick burn about sexually identifying as a porpoise recently, by someone who'd been on these forums for at least ten years. Lmao.

There was a thread just for trading insults and I made fun of someone who had Nickleback lyrics in their custom title.

Turns out they hadn't bought that title for themselves and did not in fact like Nickleback at all! :ohdear:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

syscall girl posted:

There was a thread just for trading insults and I made fun of someone who had Nickleback lyrics in their custom title.

Turns out they hadn't bought that title for themselves and did not in fact like Nickleback at all! :ohdear:

This would be a way funnier red-text trend than the current craziness

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
That Azeroth burn was fuckin' sick yo!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Close, but I'm pretty sure doxxing ZDR or FAU or whoever as Kirk "The Goatman" Johnson still tops it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

this is way funnier than it should be

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
did anyone pick different than porpoise?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

food court bailiff posted:

Close, but I'm pretty sure doxxing ZDR or FAU or whoever as Kirk "The Goatman" Johnson still tops it.

Oh drat I hadn't even heard that one, that's amazing. I hope it was FAU because the goatman laying down smooth jazz intros on public radio is funnier than anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
this is my current basically finished (almost) forums saga.

ExplodingSims posted:

After 2 years, a Jeep, a Van, and a whole bunch of sweat, blood, tears and other fluids, it's finally in FL.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773374