Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
If you are using a small drain auger, there could be a lot of build up on your main drain that a small auger isn't going to clean out. You could get a drain opener and buy the correct size C cutter attachment and really open up the drain main.

For a 4 inch main, get something like a Ridgid K-400 along with a 3 inch C cutter.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-K-400-Drum-Machine-with-C-32-IW-Cable-52363/206405033

https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-52822-T-232-3-Inch-Cutter/dp/B001HW8EZ8

Do not be stupid like me and try to use a 4" C cutter in a 4" line, unless you are at the main cleanout and the drain has no bends, it will probably get stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Nifty posted:

Yeah its a duplex, so two machines. I was reading a general home repair book and came upon this photo. Here are two p traps right above one another on a vent line - how is that different/better than the added tee/p trap I am contemplating?

This pictures wrong. You can't plumb like that anymore. Basically they wet vented there entire house where now you have to pull off the main drain line with vent that don't connect back into the drain part of the line. (if that makes sence, but its early )

If you cut in the tee with in 8 ft of the other one you most likely will get suds coming up. Also if its a rental I wouldn't really gently caress with it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nifty posted:

I have two washing machines sharing one drain line. I want to install a separate drain, and therefore I believe a second p trap. My initial plan was to cut out some of the existing vertical drain (which connects to a stack), and simply install a second branch drain.

But, is that bad to have two separate tees and p traps on one vertical stack? Air bubbles and stuff? Do I need to remove the existing branch, then install a double sanitary tee?

IMHO that 1.25"-1.5" ID galvanized drain line, even if brand-new & clean as a whistle. is not of sufficient size to handle two machines draining at once. The "simplest" solution is to install another drain standpipe elsewhere on the lateral.

Based on your photo, that would be a real bitch.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
We got our (25 year old) water heater replaced yesterday and now we're barely getting any water out of the bath faucet. Every other faucet is working fine.

The guy who installed the water heater wasn't a plumber (some company that only does water heater installations), but said that he think's it's because some debris in our pipes got dislodged during the installation.

Our house is going on 70 years old and the little plumbing I've seen has been galvanized, so it seems plausible (to me, a layman).

Does this all seem accurate? We're having a real plumber come out next week to take a look but I'm already bracing myself at the possibility of having to replumb the house.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

beepsandboops posted:

We got our (25 year old) water heater replaced yesterday and now we're barely getting any water out of the bath faucet. Every other faucet is working fine.

The guy who installed the water heater wasn't a plumber (some company that only does water heater installations), but said that he think's it's because some debris in our pipes got dislodged during the installation.

Our house is going on 70 years old and the little plumbing I've seen has been galvanized, so it seems plausible (to me, a layman).

Does this all seem accurate? We're having a real plumber come out next week to take a look but I'm already bracing myself at the possibility of having to replumb the house.

Eww, galvanized. That will need to be replaced eventually.

As for your faucet, try taking off the aerator first. If you mean the bathtub faucet, turn off the water and pull out the stems/cartridge. Clean out the gunk inside, then pull the curtain shut and barely turn the water on just for a little bit to help clear the lines right there.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
We had to replace out kitchen faucet and this was the one that was picked out at HD (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Classic-Single-Handle-Standard-Kitchen-Faucet-with-Side-Sprayer-in-Chrome-400-DST/100686506). We also have a maytag portable dishwasher. The old faucet we just left the dishwasher adapter on (no aerator) and enough water flowed out that we didn't care. However, this new faucet has a narrow stream that blasts out at light speed without an aerator making it useless to use while the dishwasher attachment is installed. I don't want to keep swapping in and out the adapters because it doesn't quite fit onto the new faucet that well and sprays water everywhere like a fountain so I can imagine it will only get worse.

Do they make any snap on aerators that will click into place onto the dishwasher adapter much like the dishwasher hookups will? Maybe they make an adapter to replace my side sprayer? Any other suggestions? I'd like a solution that the gf can do her self so I don't have to be the one to always be around to start the dishwasher by wrenching on and off this adapter piece.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

knowonecanknow posted:

We had to replace out kitchen faucet and this was the one that was picked out at HD (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Classic-Single-Handle-Standard-Kitchen-Faucet-with-Side-Sprayer-in-Chrome-400-DST/100686506). We also have a maytag portable dishwasher. The old faucet we just left the dishwasher adapter on (no aerator) and enough water flowed out that we didn't care. However, this new faucet has a narrow stream that blasts out at light speed without an aerator making it useless to use while the dishwasher attachment is installed. I don't want to keep swapping in and out the adapters because it doesn't quite fit onto the new faucet that well and sprays water everywhere like a fountain so I can imagine it will only get worse.

Do they make any snap on aerators that will click into place onto the dishwasher adapter much like the dishwasher hookups will? Maybe they make an adapter to replace my side sprayer? Any other suggestions? I'd like a solution that the gf can do her self so I don't have to be the one to always be around to start the dishwasher by wrenching on and off this adapter piece.

Do you have stop valves under that sink? If so, turn them down a little then leave the dishwasher adapter always on. Also, those adapters suck, but they are universal. You might need a new one with new threads, or get a new rubber washer for your old one.

No, they don't make adapters to replace the side sprayer. You could cap off your sprayer line, then install a tee on your hot water line and a single temperature faucet in that sprayer hole, but single temp faucets are typically found in commercial kitchens and labs and will cost more than the one you just bought.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Do you have stop valves under that sink? If so, turn them down a little then leave the dishwasher adapter always on. Also, those adapters suck, but they are universal. You might need a new one with new threads, or get a new rubber washer for your old one.

No, they don't make adapters to replace the side sprayer. You could cap off your sprayer line, then install a tee on your hot water line and a single temperature faucet in that sprayer hole, but single temp faucets are typically found in commercial kitchens and labs and will cost more than the one you just bought.

Thanks for the advice.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I think I have a dumb plumbing question - the house I'm living in has one of those shower drains that you push down on to change the state - push down, it's closed, push down again, it's open.

It also: Leaks when it's "closed", doesn't drain very fast when it's "open", and doesn't have any markings that would let me find the manufacturer to find a manual.

I tried unscrewing the top, but was not able to remove the stopper. (I'm figuring step one is clear whatever is in there to get it draining acceptably, then step two is figure out why it's leaking while closed.)

Is there a dumb thing that I'm missing? Should I be yanking on it with ChannelLocks?

I'm relatively mechanically competent (I can fix cars) but know basically nothing about houses/plumbing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Quick question, the water supply pipe for my house seems to be 3/4"... is this enough for a 2-3 unit house? It is currently 2 family (3 baths), but I'm thinking of finishing the basement and making that into another unit. Is it a big deal to have the supply plumbing upgraded if it's coming in through a single pipe through the basement wall? Guess I'm wondering what the total GPM I can expect from an urban area is.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Krakkles posted:

I think I have a dumb plumbing question - the house I'm living in has one of those shower drains that you push down on to change the state - push down, it's closed, push down again, it's open.

It also: Leaks when it's "closed", doesn't drain very fast when it's "open", and doesn't have any markings that would let me find the manufacturer to find a manual.

I tried unscrewing the top, but was not able to remove the stopper. (I'm figuring step one is clear whatever is in there to get it draining acceptably, then step two is figure out why it's leaking while closed.)

Is there a dumb thing that I'm missing? Should I be yanking on it with ChannelLocks?

I'm relatively mechanically competent (I can fix cars) but know basically nothing about houses/plumbing.

Should twist out at the base but post a picture.

Zero VGS posted:

Quick question, the water supply pipe for my house seems to be 3/4"... is this enough for a 2-3 unit house? It is currently 2 family (3 baths), but I'm thinking of finishing the basement and making that into another unit. Is it a big deal to have the supply plumbing upgraded if it's coming in through a single pipe through the basement wall? Guess I'm wondering what the total GPM I can expect from an urban area is.

GPM is based on pressure and volume (pipe size) But if you want to run another bathroom then you will need 1 inch most likely.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

JEEVES420 posted:

I have a threaded L joint that has a leak. It's not a huge leak but it is under pressure so was spraying out. Is there any way I can patch the joint with a compound without having to unthread the joint?

Way back in March/April I used a thread seal tape on this leak and it held with no leaks till I finally got it proper fixed by plumber yesterday. He was even surprised that it was not leaking at all. Just thought I would share.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

There's a small screw under the lift-up part that can be turned to loosen. You'll need a Phillips screwdriver.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Zahgaegun posted:

There's a small screw under the lift-up part that can be turned to loosen. You'll need a Phillips screwdriver.

The most accurate cross section of a family sink if I've ever seen it.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

knowonecanknow posted:

That would be the cleanest hairball I ever pulled out of a drain by far. Also I'm getting a chuckle out of picturing the intern setting up that photo by painstakingly threading individual hairs through a drain cross-section.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

One Day Fish Sale posted:

That would be the cleanest hairball I ever pulled out of a drain by far.

I pulled out a hairball that made my son gag ha ha

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I'm redoing my bathroom, and I made a dumb unforced error - I've finished tiling the shower surround, but the pipe that should connect to the tub spigot is about a half inch too short, which is incredibly frustrating. As you can see in the picture below, the copper pipe is roughly flush with the tile, and it needs to stick out about a half inch to receive a brass adapter thing that my tub spigot screws onto:

Alas, that fucker is soldered on, so I can't simply remove it and put in a longer nipple. It's a 1/2 inch copper pipe, and I've tried explaining my sitch to the folks at Home Depot who were useless. I need some kind of adapter, coupling, or fitting that will extend this thing at least a half inch and that ends in a threaded half inch male pipe so I can attach this loving adapter thing. I've googled as well and don't see anything that fits the bill that's 1/2 inch - I see reducers and I see 1 inch female to male brass, but not half inch. Am I hosed? Should I just cobble together what I can and solder some contraption together? String together a reducer and an enlarger?

Sub Par fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 25, 2017

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sub Par posted:

I'm redoing my bathroom, and I made a dumb unforced error - I've finished tiling the shower surround, but the pipe that should connect to the tub spigot is about a half inch too short, which is incredibly frustrating. As you can see in the picture below, the copper pipe is roughly flush with the tile, and it needs to stick out about a half inch to receive a brass adapter thing that my tub spigot screws onto:

Alas, that fucker is soldered on, so I can't simply remove it and put in a longer nipple. It's a 1/2 inch copper pipe, and I've tried explaining my sitch to the folks at Home Depot who were useless. I need some kind of adapter, coupling, or fitting that will extend this thing at least a half inch and that ends in a threaded half inch male pipe so I can attach this loving adapter thing. I've googled as well and don't see anything that fits the bill that's 1/2 inch - I see reducers and I see 1 inch female to male brass, but not half inch. Am I hosed? Should I just cobble together what I can and solder some contraption together?

Those are new tiles? WTF is that poo poo all over them?

Can you fit anything inside that fitting, and just solder it in? Like https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/p/1-2-copper-tube-size-extension-nipple-adapter-kit-for-tub-spout-p845045

devicenull fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 25, 2017

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

devicenull posted:

Those are new tiles? WTF is that poo poo all over them?

It's thinset, I took the picture about 40 minutes after we finished tiling while we were still in the process of wiping up the excess.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sub Par posted:

Alas, that fucker is soldered on, so I can't simply remove it and put in a longer nipple. It's a 1/2 inch copper pipe, and I've tried explaining my sitch to the folks at Home Depot who were useless. I need some kind of adapter, coupling, or fitting that will extend this thing at least a half inch and that ends in a threaded half inch male pipe so I can attach this loving adapter thing. I've googled as well and don't see anything that fits the bill that's 1/2 inch - I see reducers and I see 1 inch female to male brass, but not half inch. Am I hosed? Should I just cobble together what I can and solder some contraption together? String together a reducer and an enlarger?

There are 3 types of mounts for tub spouts. Can you take yours back and get different one? You might be able to just do a coupler and a nipple to do the long nipple type.

Just for the record, what's on the other side of that wall?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kid sinister posted:

Just for the record, what's on the other side of that wall?

One would hope that there's some kind of access...

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks guys. The other side of the wall is the office closet. There is not easy access, but you can tell that a previous homeowner accessed the pipes that way and patched it with drywall. It would be trivial to get at it.

I ended up going to a plumbing specialty store and got a brass thing that works perfectly. Thanks for bearing with me and my idiocy.

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

knowonecanknow posted:

My wife: "I don't understand what you mean, I lose hardly any hair in the shower"

I pull out a ready to go merkin on the end of my screwdriver.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I need to add two supply lines for a humidifier and a freezer ice maker. Both would be tee'd off of existing lines and would use 1/4" copper tubing. I'd like a shutoff valve for each one, too. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what sort of fittings I need to assemble to make this happen, though.

I think this is what I want but in a sweat-on style rather than sharkbite:
http://www.sharkbite.com/product/tee-stop/

I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for at any of the big box hardware stores, though. Can anyone point me in the right direciton?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

brugroffil posted:

I need to add two supply lines for a humidifier and a freezer ice maker. Both would be tee'd off of existing lines and would use 1/4" copper tubing. I'd like a shutoff valve for each one, too. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what sort of fittings I need to assemble to make this happen, though.

I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for at any of the big box hardware stores, though. Can anyone point me in the right direciton?

Use a 1/2 copper tee with a male adapter. Screw on a 1/2 IPS valve and a 1/2 MIPx 1/4 compression

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

brugroffil posted:

http://www.siouxchief.com/products/supply/specialized-supply/sweat/add-a-line

They use compression nuts instead of sweating, but will work just as well. All you need to do is shut off the water, drain the pipes, cut out one inch of the pipe, then free up enough pipe that you can bend one end down slightly to slide on the tee. Make sure you get the 1/4" output ones for humidifiers and ice makers. The 5/8" ones slides over 1/2" copper and the 7/8" one over a 3/4" line.

Sioux Chief used to make sweat-only ones, but I haven't seen them for sale in awhile. I guess nobody bought them so they stopped making them?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 8, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

thanks to both of you

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Weil McClain Gold Oil boiler, ~19 years old, had a small drip starting a few months ago and it recently got worse. There's a small hairline crack at the top of the wet part.

I can't afford to replace it and won't be able to anytime soon. Is there and hope of repairing it myself or having someone repair it?

edit: After looking it up, I spent half an hour sanding it down to the bare metal, cleaned it, and put JB Weld on it. It's setting and appears to have wicked into the crack a little bit, so hopefully it will hold.
Finally, this past weekend, I swapped in a used replacement that was in excellent condition with a higher quality burner. If you can solder and work with iron pipe and do wiring and have incredible friends who will drive from CT to Long Island to pick up a furnace you bought on eBay and make 3 trips to a plumbing supply store and 7 to Home Depot, you should have no problem doing it yourself and saving over $6000 compared to the cheapest quote you can get locally.

Being in SW CT, this was a good weekend to get heat and hot water back.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
--- Edit: I just talked to a real nice receptionist for an irrigation company, she told me not to worry about it since my backflow is under the house in a crawlspace. Said it's not gonna get nearly cold enough for long enough to hurt anything. ---

I've got a sprinkler system that until today I'd forgotten to winterize (just moved in, 99 other things on the list) and it's supposed to get cold this weekend. This is the forecast for the next few days:

Today, currently 46
Sat 24/40
Sun 27/45
Mon 37/56

I've got a guy coming Monday to do it, but should I worry about those temps this weekend? It's been warm here (Virginia) lately so I'm hoping a couple 24 degree nights aren't too bad, but I know nothing of sprinklers except that they seem a lot more exposed and vulnerable than normal house pipes.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 10, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it a problem to have an outdoors flushing toilet that has an antifreeze dispenser? Seems the EPA wouldn't like it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

baquerd posted:

Is it a problem to have an outdoors flushing toilet that has an antifreeze dispenser? Seems the EPA wouldn't like it.

I imagine that porcelain would be really cold on your bare rear end in the winter.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Buying a house and home inspector noted no expansion tank on the water heater and no tube on the pressure relief valve. Are either of these things DIY’able repairs?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Buying a house and home inspector noted no expansion tank on the water heater and no tube on the pressure relief valve. Are either of these things DIY’able repairs?

Yes, definitely. Is the PRV top or side mounted? They sell premade ones.

If you're going to the trouble of cutting up your pipes by your water heater, then you might want to think about adding a thermostatic mixing valve there too for safety.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 11, 2017

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Water heaters are pretty straightforward, but those two are easy. The tube on the pressure relief valve doesn't have to hold pressure itself, so this is where you decide to pic up a torch and learn to sweat solder. The water tank is really easy if there's a fitting in place for it, but adding one is really easy with iron pipe and not too bad with copper. Check out videos on YouTube on adding an expansion tank.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kid sinister posted:

I imagine that porcelain would be really cold on your bare rear end in the winter.

Wood toilet seat actually. Stand-alone shack in the woods with a giant antifreeze tank by the ceiling that flushes to... somewhere.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

baquerd posted:

Wood toilet seat actually. Stand-alone shack in the woods with a giant antifreeze tank by the ceiling that flushes to... somewhere.

Dig an outhouse.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I just realized something, it it going to be possible to find someone who will do a tuneup on a furnace I installed myself? Should I find someone independent who will do it before looking for a service contract?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

I just realized something, it it going to be possible to find someone who will do a tuneup on a furnace I installed myself? Should I find someone independent who will do it before looking for a service contract?

Companies will service units that they didn't install all the time. Also, wrong "nipples and ballcocks" thread.

W. D. Basterd
Jul 11, 2016
Advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Give up on your dream of making modern art.

What is that thing by the way?