Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Hillary Clinton posted:

abloo bloo bloo it's everybody's fault but mine
You couldn't even get Hillary to get behind raising the minimum wage or supporting single payer through the whole drat election, the most limpdick of marginally leftist ideology imaginable, and the rest of the DNC selectorate are the same.

You offer nothing. You support nothing. You cry about anything that isn't slavish devotion to lovely candidates that won't make big money donors worry. If you want the support of the left, stop acting like Republicans, except we like gays (that donate(also cops are cool stop making us look bad BLM)).

You supported a trash candidate, and she lost to loving Donald Trump. Donald loving Trump. An eighties punchline, a real estate conman from the Reagan era, hated by all parties that aren't frothing bigots, and your worthless garbage candidate's only offer was "I'm not him."

https://secure.politico.com/story/2016/12/michigan-hillary-clinton-trump-232547

quote:

Everybody could see Hillary Clinton was cooked in Iowa. So when, a week-and-a-half out, the Service Employees International Union started hearing anxiety out of Michigan, union officials decided to reroute their volunteers, giving a desperate team on the ground around Detroit some hope.

They started prepping meals and organizing hotel rooms.

SEIU — which had wanted to go to Michigan from the beginning, but been ordered not to — dialed Clinton’s top campaign aides to tell them about the new plan. According to several people familiar with the call, Brooklyn was furious.

Turn that bus around, the Clinton team ordered SEIU. Those volunteers needed to stay in Iowa to fool Donald Trump into competing there, not drive to Michigan, where the Democrat’s models projected a 5-point win through the morning of Election Day... Trump won the state despite getting 30,000 fewer votes than George W. Bush did when he lost it in 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

please do not argue with Fulchrum

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

I'm still a big Keith proponent

Well, precedent suggests he could get the vice presidency. :v:

Actually that sounds like a safe bet. Centrist democrat presidential candidate with further left vice president, then another four years of Donald and/or Mike Pence because life is bad, and then Kanye/Zuckerberg or something. As morons continue to take office, over several decades the role of president becomes less privileged and more ceremonial until their only duty is turkey pardoning and giving out medals. Hillary dies at age 81, Sanders dies two years later, it is generally accepted that Hillary murdered him, BLM is a celebrated part of history and thank god we dealt with police violence and I wonder why hooligans these days are still protesting systemic racism now that equality is achieved how come black people are always angry for no reason?? Lockheed-Google-Coke-Fitz Inc. owns everything. Unions are dead and the robber barons were misunderstood geniuses. What's wrong, we wonder. We wake up Demolition Man and ask him. He doesn't know, but he seems glad we legalized open carry.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lol imagine unironically interacting with Fulchrum in TYOOL 2017

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 25, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

loquacius posted:

:agreed:

the field is kind of thin atm unfortunately; I'm still a big Keith proponent (since his DNC post is ceremonial and useless) but he probably won't run, and Liz might have missed her window

but, as I said before, if you can only parse the current Dem factional divide as personal allegiance to one politician or another, it just kind of proves you don't understand the issue at all

Just because there's no obvious candidate doesn't mean none exists. People had barely heard of Barack Obama at this time in 2005.

ryonguy posted:

You couldn't even get Hillary to get behind raising the minimum wage or supporting single payer through the whole drat election, the most limpdick of marginally leftist ideology imaginable, and the rest of the DNC selectorate are the same.

Well that's just a lie. Hillary Clinton did support raising the minimum wage. "I'm in favor of $12/hr with higher wage decisions to be made locally." "BERNIE SAID $15/HR AND ANY LESS MEANS YOU'RE NOT A TRUE PROGRESSIVE!" And you're required to agree with Sanders on health care or you're not a true liberal? These purity tests are silly. Clinton had been trying to improve health care since 1993. Basically Clinton had detailed plans that made sense but weren't as dramatic as what Sanders suggested, so she gets smeared as too cautious. Clinton could produce an in-depth policy proposal on how to achieve progressive goals, and all Sanders had to do was say "mine will be the same but better" and he was the progressive champion. Are we going to spend the next x number of years relitigating this debate? Clinton had a good record of supporting progressive causes. Of course she wasn't perfect, but this idea that she was a corporate shill because OMG BERNIE is driving me up the wall.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Erenthal posted:

What the gently caress?

Recent law passed in Texas stating that anything funded with state funds can not go to business that boycott Israel. So that means if you sign up to help out with clean up, you have to sign an agreement to also not boycott Israel.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/html/HB00089I.htm

https://www.snopes.com/texas-harvey-israel/

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jurgan posted:

Well that's just a lie. Hillary Clinton did support raising the minimum wage. "I'm in favor of $12/hr with higher wage decisions to be made locally." "BERNIE SAID $15/HR AND ANY LESS MEANS YOU'RE NOT A TRUE PROGRESSIVE!" And you're required to agree with Sanders on health care or you're not a true liberal? These purity tests are silly. Clinton had been trying to improve health care since 1993. Basically Clinton had detailed plans that made sense but weren't as dramatic as what Sanders suggested, so she gets smeared as too cautious. Clinton could produce an in-depth policy proposal on how to achieve progressive goals, and all Sanders had to do was say "mine will be the same but better" and he was the progressive champion. Are we going to spend the next x number of years relitigating this debate? Clinton had a good record of supporting progressive causes. Of course she wasn't perfect, but this idea that she was a corporate shill because OMG BERNIE is driving me up the wall.

Yeah man, it just isn't fair. You give one little multi hundred of thousand dollar series of secret speeches to Wall Street financiers, and people get the crazy idea that you're beholden to their ideals first or something!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah man, it just isn't fair. You give one little multi hundred of thousand dollar series of secret speeches to Wall Street financiers, and people get the crazy idea that you're beholden to their ideals first or something!

Gotta keep switching out those bullshit talking points over and over, otherwise you might be forced to deal with some part of reality.

ryonguy posted:

You supported a trash candidate, and she lost to loving Donald Trump. Donald loving Trump. An eighties punchline, a real estate conman from the Reagan era, hated by all parties that aren't frothing bigots, and your worthless garbage candidate's only offer was "I'm not him."
So, your point is that "He's so bad any candidate should have been able to win just based on not being Donald Trump" and "Hillary Clinton ran on not being Donald Trump, which is the worst thing you could ever do"

You cannot just point to Trump as someone who America would inherently never vote for and then blame Hillary for doing the exact same thing.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 25, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I hate Wall Street but gently caress you if you wouldn’t take every dime they offered you just to speak.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I hate Wall Street but gently caress you if you wouldn’t take every dime they offered you just to speak.

Obviously I would, because I'm poor as hell and not in a position of political power.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zil posted:

Recent law passed in Texas stating that anything funded with state funds can not go to business that boycott Israel. So that means if you sign up to help out with clean up, you have to sign an agreement to also not boycott Israel.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/html/HB00089I.htm

https://www.snopes.com/texas-harvey-israel/

Not just for helping out, either; if you want to get aid from the state government, you have to agree to that clause as a "gently caress you BDS".

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I would not afterward pretend to be a champion of progressive values, because I have the tiniest capacity for shame.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I'd take their money and pay for school because I'm poor. If I was a millionaire who purported to be a progressive, no, I wouldn't. Actually, on second thought, I would take it but then immediately spend it all on Molotovs to throw at cops, not take it for personal gain.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Crazycryodude posted:

Actually, on second thought, I would take it but then immediately spend it all on Molotovs to throw at cops, not take it for personal gain.

That's going to look bad when they bring it up during your presidential run.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did we ever see the speech transcripts? Maybe she gave bad ones on purpose, to undermine capitalism.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

gently caress. I laughed. Good puns get me every time.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Jurgan posted:

"I'm in favor of $12/hr with higher wage decisions to be made locally." "BERNIE SAID $15/HR AND ANY LESS MEANS YOU'RE NOT A TRUE PROGRESSIVE!"

One of these will motivate more voters than the other and it doesn't even have to do with who's "more progressive."

"Fight for 15" will simply get more voters out to the polls than "12 or Whatevs". Punchier slogan, bigger number, you name it. Your average voter doesn't give a loving poo poo about the lawmaking process or compromises or even details, they want to feel listened to, they want to feel like someone is actually going to fight for them, and they just plain want to vote in their own self interests.

It also helps to make more of an effort to actually sell your plans

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

"Fight for 15" will simply get more voters out to the polls than "12 or Whatevs".

Which is basically "12 and you're hosed if you live in a red state."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

One of these will motivate more voters than the other and it doesn't even have to do with who's "more progressive."

Yeah, one tries to make it able to be altered to parts of the country where it fits better, and one wants to declare that what works for New York must work for all of America.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

"Fight for 15" will simply get more voters out to the polls than "12 or Whatevs". Punchier slogan, bigger number, you name it. Your average voter doesn't give a loving poo poo about the lawmaking process or compromises or even details, they want to feel listened to, they want to feel like someone is actually going to fight for them, and they just plain want to vote in their own self interests.

It also helps to make more of an effort to actually sell your plans

How far does that go? Should it be "Fight for 50" next time? Your phrasing here suggests that the only goal should be to grab votes at any cost regardless of whether you intend to actually fight for those things or believe you can fulfill any of your promises to voters.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

grab votes at any cost regardless of whether you intend to actually fight for those things or believe you can fulfill any of your promises to voters.

and how do you think Trump got elected, exactly?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

So, $12 is in Evil Centrist territory while $15 is in Righteous Liberal Progressive Leftist territory. What about $14.99?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shangri-Law School posted:

So, $12 is in Evil Centrist territory while $15 is in Righteous Liberal Progressive Leftist territory. What about $14.99?

It's more the idea of negotiating from a compromise position has been proven to be a completely stupid idea by all the dumb bullshit that happened with Obama.

Start by asking for what you really want and maybe accept $12 if it's all you can get at the end of the day, but don't start with $12 and get negotiated down to $9.50.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

WampaLord posted:

It's more the idea of negotiating from a compromise position has been proven to be a completely stupid idea by all the dumb bullshit that happened with Obama.

Start by asking for what you really want and maybe accept $12 if it's all you can get at the end of the day, but don't start with $12 and get negotiated down to $9.50.

Counterfactual what-ifs aren't proof. And negotiation is about leverage, not demanding everything and automatically getting the average of the two positions.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sagebrush posted:

and how do you think Trump got elected, exactly?

So you are saying we should elect a demagogue of our own with no intent to actually fix anything? Just lie our way into power because power is an end unto itself?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just lie our way into power

It's like some of you don't even realize what politics is.

Do you think Hillary was telling the truth about what she could get accomplished?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Do you think Hillary was telling the truth about what she could get accomplished?

If you believe in using deceit to gain power and thereby eroding trust in the government and its institutions you are part of the problem. Your attitude is what causes people like Trump and the republican party to win.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Yes. That was entirely the problem. She made sure to keep everything she said grounded in reality. That's why she couldn't just start promising magical unicorns and poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you believe in using deceit to gain power and thereby eroding trust in the government and its institutions you are part of the problem. Your attitude is what causes people like Trump and the republican party to win.

It's not just Hillary, either. Do you think Bernie actually could have passed free college or a $15 minimum wage? Probably not!

All politicians lie about what is possible to get votes. This is called campaigning.

"Trust in government" loving lmao, how old are you? Go look up some favorability ratings of Congress over time, there has almost never been trust in government.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

It's not just Hillary, either. Do you think Bernie actually could have passed free college or a $15 minimum wage? Probably not!

All politicians lie about what is possible to get votes. This is called campaigning.

No, campaigning is clearly when you put your platform online and then run a campaign based on talking about how bad your opponent is while trying to moneyball the electoral college.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So you are saying we should elect a demagogue of our own with no intent to actually fix anything? Just lie our way into power because power is an end unto itself?

I wouldn't characterize it as "lying" so much as just being bombastic and optimistic about one's plans. Trump wasn't lying when he said he wanted to build a wall; whether or not he can actually do that, well, that remains to be seen, but the point is that he wanted to. That got people to vote for him because they liked the idea. Doesn't really matter whether it's truly feasible.

If politician B says "I'm going to raise wages to 15 bucks an hour and free college for all of you!" and politician H says "twelve dollars an hour, in some states, and reduced rates on student loans for the needy!" who the gently caress do you think is going to attract more votes? Is the point in the campaign to be measured and realistic about your plans, or is it to fire people up so that they don't vote for the other guy, because if he gets in you don't get to do anything at all?

Not to mention that you always start your demands from an unrealistically high position in order to leave room for haggling. That's something that even an inbred hillbilly on Cragislist can figure out.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sagebrush posted:

I wouldn't characterize it as "lying" so much as just being bombastic and optimistic about one's plans. Trump wasn't lying when he said he wanted to build a wall; whether or not he can actually do that, well, that remains to be seen, but the point is that he wanted to. That got people to vote for him because they liked the idea. Doesn't really matter whether it's truly feasible.

And thats why leftists have never claimed that Obama lied to them and betrayed them. Oh, wait.

There's a huge difference between being overly optimistic, which Obama did, and lying, which Trump absolutely did (Even if you want to be weaselly and claim he totally always meant to build a real wall, that Mexico will pay for it BS makes him an absolute loving liar. As does his plan to defeat Isis in 30 days, his promise to release his tax returns, his divesting from his businesses, and his totally real case against Hillary Clinton to lock her up). However, both still get you called a liar if you can't do it.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 25, 2017

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
MLK already settled this, if you want a dime dont ask for 5 cents, ask for 15.

Jesus guys read about your progressive foredads

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Not to mention that you always start your demands from an unrealistically high position in order to leave room for haggling. That's something that even an inbred hillbilly on Cragislist can figure out.

hill-what? craig who? look man, there are two types of voters who go democrat: we high-minded sophisticates who understand the intricacies of politicks, and those dumb ol' bernie bros who are dumb dumby heads and we hate them and they smell bad and why won't they vote for us.

if there are any other kinds of voters, surely we very smart people would have heard of them

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

No, campaigning is clearly when you put your platform online and then run a campaign based on talking about how bad your opponent is while trying to moneyball the electoral college.

This lie is never going to be put to bed, but I'll try anyway.

Here is Hillary's convention speech: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/us/politics/hillary-clinton-dnc-transcript.html?_r=0

Here is a typical stump speech: http://www.npr.org/2016/09/15/493924325/inside-hillary-clintons-stump-speech-annotated

There's a poo poo-ton of policy in there. Lots of little details that are pretty neat, like universal broadband or childcare aid.

For Pete's sake, as every Garrison reader knows, she campaigned until she literally collapsed. Her campaign wasn't spectacular, but it was good enough to get 65 million votes, and certainly not the election-losing liability that people insist it was.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'll remind people that no less than 5 times, major news networks muted Hillarys campaign speeches and put her in a tiny box in the corner, in order to focus on an empty podium that Trump would speak at in an hour.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Shangri-Law School posted:

For Pete's sake, as every Garrison reader knows, she campaigned until she literally collapsed.

i forget, was this before or after she disappeared for nearly the entire month of august to attend private big-donor fundraisers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WampaLord posted:

"Trust in government" loving lmao, how old are you? Go look up some favorability ratings of Congress over time, there has almost never been trust in government.

If people don't have any trust in the government, or in the politicians, then why should they even bother to vote? This lying to voters, this lack of respect, this is what has lead to depressed turnouts all across the country, if more people voted the republicans would be out on their asses. Regaining the trust of the electorate is the path to both winning elections and fixing this country. But apparently you couldn't care less about that, for you it's "Let's get into power and gently caress people over just like the republicans!"

• Locked thread