Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

pbpancho posted:

I'd imagine around Legacies though, due to the box art matching, but really don't know.

Do you know if there are multiple draft formats? I saw a reference to 20 and 30 card decks.

Also, anything else you can spill the beans on? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Lump Shaker posted:

Do you know if there are multiple draft formats? I saw a reference to 20 and 30 card decks.

Also, anything else you can spill the beans on? ;)

After the draft you build a 20-30 card deck. So that way if you didn't get QUITE enough blue cards you can run short if you want.

There's also sealed format, which is 8 packs, no drafting.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I am excited to run eAnakin/eAhsoka

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

pbpancho posted:

After the draft you build a 20-30 card deck. So that way if you didn't get QUITE enough blue cards you can run short if you want.

There's also sealed format, which is 8 packs, no drafting.

Ah ok, that makes sense. So in general, did the drafting work well? My group has attempted similar things, and one issue we found was that we always ended up with decks that were pretty "un-optimized". This is fine, since everyone is at the same level, but it caused the games to go pretty slowly and many of them ended with tie-breakers.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Lump Shaker posted:

Ah ok, that makes sense. So in general, did the drafting work well? My group has attempted similar things, and one issue we found was that we always ended up with decks that were pretty "un-optimized". This is fine, since everyone is at the same level, but it caused the games to go pretty slowly and many of them ended with tie-breakers.

A fixed set of neutral-heavy cards will go a long ways to deal with the randomness of a draft. We're you guys mixing and matching villain and hero and ignoring max card amount restrictions?

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/38/a7/38a7c28b-8a85-4426-9fc2-d8fac35eb8bb/swd_rules_reference_15.pdf

New RRG is out.

2P Phasma +1 point.
FN2199, Awk Poe, Unkar +2 points.
Vibroknife is "this die or this die modifies".
Imperial Inspection is "set aside after use".
Can now discard to reroll zero dice.
It's A Trap and Hear of Battle both 2 dice max.
Redeploy clarified.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Also limited using Upgrade replacement to once per player per round, which is arguably a bigger blow to FN than the point cost increase.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Red Hood posted:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/38/a7/38a7c28b-8a85-4426-9fc2-d8fac35eb8bb/swd_rules_reference_15.pdf

New RRG is out.

2P Phasma +1 point.
FN2199, Awk Poe, Unkar +2 points.
Vibroknife is "this die or this die modifies".
Imperial Inspection is "set aside after use".
Can now discard to reroll zero dice.
It's A Trap and Hear of Battle both 2 dice max.
Redeploy clarified.

My Leia/Ackbar "It's a Trap!" deck was so fun.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
This is great. As sad as I am to put down my Thrawnkar deck, it will be nice to see the meta completely reset.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Changes are great (except for the Trap nerf)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont think phasma was that OP. What was the point of changing her.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

I dont think phasma was that OP. What was the point of changing her.

She was dropped to 13 points just so she could pair with Kylo2 right out of the starter. Phasma2 hits way above her points cost in damage. She enabled too many 4 dice set-ups that made the hero side look pathetic.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

bowmore posted:

Changes are great (except for the Trap nerf)

Nah, the nerf was necessary. It was too swingy, if you played ranged against a mono red deck you could just get blown out way too easily. That meant the designers had to be really careful about the characters and guns they put in hero red. This reopens the design space again which is better for the long term health of the game.

It's good to see the designers being willing to make drastic changes to the game. Even if some of the nerfs are heavy handed it resets the meta and it'll be a little while until we settle back into the 'top' decks. Everything feels viable again, especially 4 character decks.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm just excited at not knowing what I'll be facing anymore. Keeps things interesting until legacy and rivals drop.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm happy with the changes but at this point I'm sort of worried every time the meta settles and people start bitching we're going to see a bunch of nerfs.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Wezlar posted:

I'm happy with the changes but at this point I'm sort of worried every time the meta settles and people start bitching we're going to see a bunch of nerfs.

Well, as long as they're releasing 3-4 sets a year, things will be kept fresh. I don't personally have any desire to see metas 'settle', I'm all for things that ensure you face different stuff all the time.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Wow, that’s... a lot of changes at once. Been busy with work travel so I haven’t had time to play or think about destiny much anyway, I’m curious to see what sort of meta emerges after this.

Rip Thrawnkar that I never actually got a chance to play.

Also if it didn’t get posted yet, Legacies is slated for December.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

bonds0097 posted:

Well, as long as they're releasing 3-4 sets a year, things will be kept fresh. I don't personally have any desire to see metas 'settle', I'm all for things that ensure you face different stuff all the time.

So I have a bunch of thoughts on this.

The issue is that even with 3-4 sets a year, each new meta largely becomes solved (meaning the best couple decks are widely identified and accepted) within the first month or so of competitive play, whether that's local tournaments, big tournaments, or just dudes jamming out games on TTS. It's not a thing unique to Destiny, that's just TCGs in general (though in other games there's usually a period of meta-response which Destiny has lacked in its first year, but that can certainly be attributed to the limited card pool). That leaves 2-3 months between each release of a naturally "settled" meta. Extrapolated across a year of releases and you're still playing in a "settled" meta a lot more often than not.

You then take that truth and apply a community of whiny players who want their personal experience to improve with a sense of immediacy (see: average TCG players), and who complain about whatever the top decks/cards are during those 2-3 month periods, except it doesn't even have to be obviously oppressive/broken stuff like FN, Vibroknife, etc. has been. It could just be them complaining about cards that are beating their chosen strategies consistently. If then, based on the precedent being set by FFG (remember this is not the first time they've errata'd cards; there have been several prior to this new announcement as well), they feel they need to answer to that vocal player base and go in and start tweaking already existing cards every few months, it's going to lead to a lovely competitive environment, mainly for new/casual players. They'll buy two copies of the 2-Player Starter and then learn their Kylo/Phasma deck isn't legal at 4 dice, or they'll open a pack with whatever sweet future legendary character they've always wanted, and then find out that it doesn't work like it says. Entry into the competitive environment will become increasingly more cumbersome and can stunt the natural growth of the game. As a player with a lot of TCG history I completely believe that being properly educated is the responsibility of the players themselves, but new players don't even know that's their responsibility until they sit down for the first time against an opponent who informs them their cards don't do what they say. Think that player's experience won't color their desire to explore the game deeper? It absolutely will.

None of that touches on the impacts major erratas like this can have on the secondary market. I don't personally believe a publisher should (or even can) allow themselves to be concerned with the price of singles over the health of their game, but never the less is a reality. Somebody drops $40 on a Thrawn to finish their Unkar/Thrawn Buy Out deck: Sorry dude, not even playable now. It feels bad to be on the receiving end of that, and if the possibility of strong cards changing all the time simply because they're strong exists, it discourages players from investing too deep and the whole ecosystem changes.

The whole thing is also generally a red flag on the back end in terms of their design team/process. I'm willing to give them a pass in this first year of a new game; figuring out what works and doesn't outside your own four walls can be difficult in a design setting like this. Hopefully now with some experience and data for how the game has trended they'll be able to identify more issues ahead of time and design a more stable game from the outset. There simply shouldn't be need for this level of retooling every few months if the design and development processes are dialed in. Single cards every once in a long while sure. A half a dozen of them a few times a year, not so much.

All said: I think 100% of the changes they made were good, and for the most part necessary. I just don't like that they had to be done in the first place, and the precedent now set.

tl;dr: 3-4 months between sets is still a long time where cards will become the "strongest" for a period, and knee-jerk reacting to those cards all the time has a bunch of negative side effects.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Merauder posted:

Somebody drops $40 on a Thrawn to finish their Unkar/Thrawn Buy Out deck: Sorry dude, not even playable now. It feels bad to be on the receiving end of that, and if the possibility of strong cards changing all the time simply because they're strong exists, it discourages players from investing too deep and the whole ecosystem changes.
This why I'm pissed at this eratta. I play this game really casually, usually by just looking at the meta and finding a deck that sounds fun, and buying singles to make that deck so I can play with some friends. Unkar/Thrawn By Out is the exact deck I just built because the mechanics looked fun. I even had a FN-2199 deck I was putting together as a backup, in case I wanted to switch things out.

Then FFG drops this FAQ and ruins my deck unless my friends agree to ignore oracle text and just play by what's on the cards. But where's the line drawn on that? If my deck is viable, does my opponent get to play with old Vibroknife? Fast Hands on non-yellow?

It absolutely discourages me from investing in this game. I'll probably hold off on purchasing anything Destiny until a full year after release, just so I can play post-errata and avoid cards that have changed.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Thrawn/Unkar and 9's were two decks that were completely unfun to play against and, with 9's at least, incredibly overpowered compared to the rest of the pool.

Good riddance to both of the decks.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Wezlar posted:

My feeling is that every collectible game should be very willing to make changes early on. Virtually no one knows how to design for these kinds of games early on, because real life feedback is so hard to get in time to seriously impact development cycles. I think FFG was better off setting a 3-4 month set release even if that meant they'd have to do some nerfing, because letting games stagnate early is even worse.

Obviously if they keep screwing it up it gets worse, but "game resolves too fast" is an issue Destiny had/has, and that's one that's very hard to fix by adjustment in later sets. It's one reason that I think the above applies - generally designers can't figure out the speed of the format pre-printing with reasonable playtest resources.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Duct Tape posted:

This why I'm pissed at this eratta. I play this game really casually, usually by just looking at the meta and finding a deck that sounds fun, and buying singles to make that deck so I can play with some friends. Unkar/Thrawn By Out is the exact deck I just built because the mechanics looked fun. I even had a FN-2199 deck I was putting together as a backup, in case I wanted to switch things out.

Then FFG drops this FAQ and ruins my deck unless my friends agree to ignore oracle text and just play by what's on the cards. But where's the line drawn on that? If my deck is viable, does my opponent get to play with old Vibroknife? Fast Hands on non-yellow?

It absolutely discourages me from investing in this game. I'll probably hold off on purchasing anything Destiny until a full year after release, just so I can play post-errata and avoid cards that have changed.

Have you considered just building cool decks from the cards you have instead of spending money on singles to build the most OP decks available?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

bonds0097 posted:

Have you considered just building cool decks from the cards you have instead of spending money on singles to build the most OP decks available?

Being snarky with someone because they chose to play a specific deck doesn't absolve the bad feelings the process brings about. Maybe they're limited on the budget they can spend on the game and don't want to buy tons of sealed product in hopes of finding stuff that they can build a playable deck from? Maybe they simply don't have the desire to collect a ton of extra cards and are happier with their one or two decks to play consistently? Maybe they're simply spikey players who derive their enjoyment from winning, so they want to play strong decks? Literally none of those possibilities, or any other reasons people may have make pulling the rug out from under players like that a good experience.

Again, I do think that the health of the game ultimately outweighs these kind of impacts, but never the less it's completely justifiable to be upset about it if you're in that position, and will cost them players.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

bonds0097 posted:

There are plenty of valid ways of playing a CCG, for example building from singles, drafting, and building from packs/boxes. Functional erata harms all of them, with singles and drafting being the worst off. It's harmful for singles for the reason I posted (FFG comes down from on-high and says "No" to your specific deck), and it's harmful for drafting because you crack a pack and need to know immediately if anything has changed from what is printed in front of you.

There's good reason why Wizard's avoid functional erata for Magic. Though I grant that Destiny is new enough that FFG doesn't yet know the proper balance of things, I was hoping for more unintrusive changes. For exampe, make Unkar's ability a Power Action, not change his cost and invalidate an entire deck.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Picked up the 2-player box this weekend and ran through the game with a friend and man, is it fun and do I wanna do some deckbuilding. I guess my local FLGS has a regular Destiny group that plays on Tuesday nights which is even more awesome!

What's the best way to get my card pool up? I know a 2nd core box of the 2-player is a good call, but after that, I'm assuming Booster Box + prayer? How much do I need to branch out from the new expac into the older two for cardpool?

And is there a deckbuilding database like some of the other CCG/LCGs?

Thanks for fielding the newbie questions I'm sure have been answered a bunch~

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Quidthulhu posted:

Picked up the 2-player box this weekend and ran through the game with a friend and man, is it fun and do I wanna do some deckbuilding. I guess my local FLGS has a regular Destiny group that plays on Tuesday nights which is even more awesome!

What's the best way to get my card pool up? I know a 2nd core box of the 2-player is a good call, but after that, I'm assuming Booster Box + prayer? How much do I need to branch out from the new expac into the older two for cardpool?

http://swdestinydb.com/

As far as acquiring cards, I think the best strategy is to crack open a box or two, see what you like inside it, and trade away the other stuff to complete a deck.
http://www.thechancecube.com/pricewatch/
Looking at the prices, your highest EV in a box right now is with the most current set, Empire at War. If you grab a box or two of that, you're going to have no problem trading away the stuff you don't want to keep for older stuff that you do want.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Quidthulhu posted:

Second two-player set is good, but be warned that 2p Phasma had her cost bumped up a few days ago, so you can no longer legally play 2 die 2p phasma and 2 die 2p Kylo together. There's still plenty of useful stuff in there and there's something to be said for fixed distribution.

At the moment the older sets are still pretty relevant for specific cards, the meta just got completely upended though, so it's hard to say what will decks will rise to the top again. As far as expanding your collection though, you've got a few options. You could buy into booster boxes, keep what you like and trade the rest for other things you want. Latest set is probably the highest value as far as that goes.

You could just buy singles if there's a specific deck you want to play, that requires a little more research though. If you go this route, I'd recommend trying to borrow the deck for a few games, watching someone else play it or trying it out on tabletop simulator if you can. Just get a feel for it before you dump a bunch of cash into a single deck. Another approach would be to just grab playsets of commons/uncommons and either use the starter characters or buy/trade for specific ones to round it out.

Frankly, most of the commons and uncommons are functionally worthless and a lot of people who play regularly are swimming in them. If you asked around politely at your LGS there's probably people willing to outright give a bunch to you. Barring that I'm pretty sure you can get playsets of commons & uncommons for like $8-10 each on eBay or whatever. That won't open up any more deck options for you exactly, but it at least lets you run all the good events etc. to support the characters you have. A lot of the non-legendary characters are dirtass cheap too.

I don't know what you feel comfortable sinking into the game yet, so I'd also recommend taking a look at the budget articles on hyperloops, they're a decent starting point and usually recommend ways of improving the deck once you have a bigger collection or are willing to put more money in.

fake edit: down the road, there'll be supported sealed/draft play so that'll be another way to build a collection while being on roughly even ground and getting some games in to boot.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bee tee dubs new starter spoilers

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/27/your-first-steps/

edit: also based off the rarity icons on some of those spoilers, it looks like the starters may overlap with the boosters again :geno:

Hauki fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 27, 2017

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Went ahead and ordered a booster box from the new set. I pulled a Palpatine from my random boosters a few weeks ago so I'm hoping to maybe build a deck with him after seeing what else I get. I will need to find another Palpatine die, though...

How's the meta look nowadays with the errata changes?

Both of my local FLGS' do Destiny nights and on different days, so I'm excited to potentially bring a deck & cards to trade next week. Boosters come tomorrow!!!

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Quidthulhu posted:

Went ahead and ordered a booster box from the new set. I pulled a Palpatine from my random boosters a few weeks ago so I'm hoping to maybe build a deck with him after seeing what else I get. I will need to find another Palpatine die, though...

How's the meta look nowadays with the errata changes?

Both of my local FLGS' do Destiny nights and on different days, so I'm excited to potentially bring a deck & cards to trade next week. Boosters come tomorrow!!!

It's pretty wide opened but there hasn't been a big tournament with the new errata yet. 4 wide or 5 die teams are really strong now because of the nerfs to every rocket launcher deck and the lack of burst damage.

I'm playing Bala/Ciena/Trooper 5 die redeploy today

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, eBala, eCienna, night sister has been popular locally too. Few variations on three or four character vehicles or redeploy weapons. Lots of people experimenting with random lists. There're enough thermal detonators, rocket launchers and u-wings still rolling around that I'm considering running something else for the moment though. I wasn't sold on Maz Hera vehicles, felt too fragile and inconsistent. Villain vehicles felt more reliable except every card you have is just a single die rollout which also made for some very long or awkward rounds. I feel like a lot of your damage gets tied up in a couple big dice too, which leaves you more open to removal. Maybe I'll go back to sabine/ezra or try out poe/ezra to leverage some of the above against all the wide lists though.

In other news, I ran qui-gon/kanan for the first time the other night and it was alright, it had more depth of play than I expected. There's a lot of order of operations type stuff, little tricks to fit in. I seriously hosed up a couple turns because I didn't think through it all beforehand and a lot of your best mitigation requires you to have dice in play which can make for some really awkward rounds, especially if your opponent is claiming often. While the amount of damage you can get off quigons ability can be pretty impressive, I'm not sure it's where I want to be. I think my list needs tweaks too.

Edit: iOS client keeps crashing and losing chunks of my post. Anyway, it's a little nerve wracking to be on three or four wide vs bala too, as any one character defeat can very quickly snowball.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 4, 2017

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The redeploy list felt really good, honestly though I think one of the bigger problems with a lot of lists I see online is they don't play enough disruption so that's most of the modifications my friend and I have been making. I also tried playing with the Maz Hera vehicles list and it felt pretty smooth. In general just playing a bunch of characters feels really good right now. The redeploy list feels like it should lose to vehicles versions but I usually feel like I have enough dice/resource disruption that e-wings can't do much damage. Being able to play 5 dice, 3 characters and a ton of redeploy weapons just feels super strong in a meta where no one is bursting you down.

Also I've missed being able to untap Bala and wreck people.

edit: Unrelated to the deck, the number one piece of advice that I have for new players is that in a situation where you have nothing to do if you have cards in hand you NEED to bluff disruption if your opponent has dice in play and continue to pass instead of claiming. On the other side of the coin if you have a bunch of dice in play or even characters you haven't activated yet and someone claims if you have 3 or 4 cards in hand it is your opportunity to absolutely destroy them and unless one of those cards is crucial to your gameplan you should be discarding all of them to reroll for max damage, even if you're just rolling 1 or 2 dice.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 5, 2017

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Here's my attempt at a "i only have one booster box but want to play and see how bad this is" deck:

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/15488/spreadthepain-1.0

Idea was to move damage around to keep them on their toes while building up to some of the "deal damage to everyone" finishers. I might be able to do better with a different character instead of Seventh Sister but I pulled an ID9 also so I figured an extra die was probably good since I didn't think I had anyone else who merged well with Bossk (but maybe I should revist that, I do have a Palpatine who I kinda forgot about...)

Thoughts or suggestions for cards I should look at that might interface with this well would be great! Or letting me know this is trash and I shouldn't continue pursuing this tactic would be appreciated too xD

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Did you pull any chance cubes? I'd also replace Lightsaber pull with electroshock,doubt or He doesn't like you. Not sure if you have them but with only 2 lightsabers pull feels wasted.

frgildan fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 7, 2017

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

frgildan posted:

Did you pull any chance cubes?

Alas, I did not.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Also indomitable only works if your other two characters are dead. Which makes it a dead card till your losing. Do you only have the 2 player starter or do you have a Kylo or rey starter as Well?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Ah yeah that's a real good point. I should probs only run one of it.

I only have the 2-player starter.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

In that case I'd replace pull with a doubt and a your skills are complete. Skills isn't removal but it's close enough with your card pool.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Cool cool. Took out the two pulls & the extra Indomitable and swapped in Doubt, Your Skills Are Complete, and a As You Command for good measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So Friday we had a charity event where you could donate canned food to get certain bonuses and bypass certain deck restrictions:

Play more than 30 cards - 1 can per 2 cards (Max 3 cans)
Play more than 30 points - 1 can per 2 points (Max 3 cans)
Ignore color restirctions for deck building - 3 cans
Play hero and villian characters on the same team - 3 cans
Start each game with a shield on each character - 1 can per character on your team
Start each game with an extra resource - 1 can (Max 1 can)
Deal 1 unblockable damage to each of your opponent's characters before the game starts - 4 cans (Max 4 cans)
Choose 1 card from your deck to be in your starting hand each game - 1 can (Max 2 cans)
Add 1 to the value of your dice during the rolloff each round - 1 can (Max 3 cans)
Draw an extra card into your starting hand after you mulligan - 1 can (Max 2 cans)

It was a blast. Breaking the 30 point rules and starting with specific cards in your hand gets crazy. I ended up playing Daddy Vader/Seventh Sister and went 5-1 to win. Someone was playing a crazy Sabine/Jango deck. I must have killed Jango about 8 times because of god drat second chance. The only reason I pulled through and won was he couldn't keep up with having actually upgrades to pump out damage and I had a Seventh Sister with 2 Shotos and 2 ancient lightsabers left in my deck that I kept looping. Game probably went for an hour+, but he eventually conceded when I had managed to get 3 shields and fully heal sister. It probably could have went on forever, though.

Another notable deck was a guy playing a 4 character list (can't remember the exact characters), and starting with a Sonic Cannon and Imperial Backing every game. Guaranteed turn 1 Cannon is hard to deal with, especially when he has a tie pilot out there. I barely squeaked that one through.

I'd highly recommend toying around with formats, especially when charity is involved.