Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

DICK DICER posted:

Nope, there's going to be a thread, but it's not out of expectations of finance. Thing is, yeah. You guys gave me what I needed until now, but you also gave enough for me to go towards something. There's going to be a trailer and supplies and a place to start over when I'm done. But previously, I had my career tying me down, then addiction tying me down, then valentine tying me down. This is the first chance I've had in my adult life,totally free to take me in what ever direction the wind may choose and I'm not going to loving turn that down. I'm riding out the cold weather in Denver, my parents will assist with what they are able to. I even had a few opportunities in Valentine to pursue bad choices I didnt because while I can't promise I'll be perfect, it's on my terms now and I'm choosing to move forward. I want to live again, and I've been given what I need to do so. Now it's up to me to discover what my new life will entail. I'm not going back to wrenching professionally. Let's find out who I really am.

Fuckin aye, dude.

Fuckin aye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I used to stay there cuz it's right by Homestead speedway, back when I did motorsports photography, it was nice and a hell of a lot cheaper than a hotel. Also there is an amazing mexican restaurant across the street from it called Rosilitas I think. Best loving chimichangas I've ever had in my life, ate there every day I stayed and anytime I go to the Keys I always stop there to eat.

[e] come to think of it Dave, the Keys are still recovering from Irma, you could probably make some spare cash if you needed it just helping out doing manual labor type poo poo. This time of year is perfect for it because it's starting to cool off now.

I've started using hostels whenever I travel. Partly because they're so much cheaper, partly because you actually get to meet people, discover poo poo to do, etc. Yeah I'm usually one of the older people staying there, don't really care tho.

The one I stay at in Austin (Drifter Jack's) isn't as nice as the one you mentioned, and costs a bit more ($31-39/night depending on the day of week and room size), but it's just off of UT's campus (which is almost downtown), with tons of poo poo within walking distance (restaurants, bars, etc), and Austin's famous 6th Street is a <10 minute bus ride away (DJ's is on 28th IIRC?).

Also uh... your version of nice weather is probably still sweltering hot to someone who's spent his entire life in Cali and Washington. Just sayin. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 25, 2017

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

DICK DICER posted:

Nope, there's going to be a thread, but it's not out of expectations of finance. Thing is, yeah. You guys gave me what I needed until now, but you also gave enough for me to go towards something. There's going to be a trailer and supplies and a place to start over when I'm done. But previously, I had my career tying me down, then addiction tying me down, then valentine tying me down. This is the first chance I've had in my adult life,totally free to take me in what ever direction the wind may choose and I'm not going to loving turn that down. I'm riding out the cold weather in Denver, my parents will assist with what they are able to. I even had a few opportunities in Valentine to pursue bad choices I didnt because while I can't promise I'll be perfect, it's on my terms now and I'm choosing to move forward. I want to live again, and I've been given what I need to do so. Now it's up to me to discover what my new life will entail. I'm not going back to wrenching professionally. Let's find out who I really am.

I'm serious with my offer to put you up for a bit if you decide to take a ridiculously long detour through southern Wisconsin.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Huge shout-outs to Handling by Jebus, Tremek, angryrobots, and everyone else who has contributed directly or indirectly to funding this adventure and/or sending supplies. AI is the greatest, and I know I don't post much, but I'm proud to be a small part of this community.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Well done, folks! This has been an epic indeed. 5s all around!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm serious with my offer to put you up for a bit if you decide to take a ridiculously long detour through southern Wisconsin.

Same if you wind up in Texas, though I don't have the futon anymore (I do have a couch, also an air mattress).

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

shortspecialbus posted:

And if this happens somehow, drop me a line. I'm way up in northern IL.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Party on Dave.

Party on.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So glad I got to participate in this epic thread and adventure what a ride!

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Huge shout-outs to Handling by Jebus, Tremek, angryrobots, and everyone else who has contributed directly or indirectly to funding this adventure and/or sending supplies. AI is the greatest, and I know I don't post much, but I'm proud to be a small part of this community.

This. Thanks for putting up with Dave and helping to steer him into a better future.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

After 2 years, a Jeep, a Van, and a whole bunch of sweat, blood, tears and other fluids, it's finally in FL.

Really glad to see this.

DICK DICER posted:

Really really glad to hear this. I hope you find the brighter future you've sought for so long.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's so good to see Dave happy and free. Do what you want, when you want. I hope someday the wanderlust plays out and you can find someone to share your life with, and we can get threads of the 14" children as they grow.

Even if that's not in your future, it's just good to see you have a happy life, however it turns out. Every day is an adventure.

We've seen you at close to your worst, and it was frightening to behold. You're so much happier and healthier now and I'm proud to have had a hand in it.

Bottom line is you, though, Dave. You are the one who had to choose to do this. Cutting loose of all your connections to Seattle was tough. Give yourself the credit for having the guts to see it through. I'm glad to have helped in a small way, but it was always you calling the shots, telling us what you wanted rather than us leading you along. You are the man now, having rebuilt your life on your own terms. You have a lot to be proud of.

My only cautions would be to start taking serious care of your body. Get to a doctor about your foot. Maybe it's just sprained, maybe it's something worse. Getting a recovery plan from a doctor would be a wise expenditure. Also your teeth. You have neglected them for too long and just put up with the pain and discomfort. Many are in need of serious work. You will be amazed at how much easier it is to cope when you're not it chronic dental pain.

Do that much for yourself in Florida while you have supporting friends. Once you take off on your own again it will be much harder.

Otherwise, I'm old enough to be your father and have had a vague parental attachment to you. You're only a few years older than my own kids. As them, I wish for you a full life full of whatever you want to make you happy and satisfied.

Rock on, my son. :gitgud:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Also uh... your version of nice weather is probably still sweltering hot to someone who's spent his entire life in Cali and Washington. Just sayin. :v:

Next week is forecast to be in the 70's for highs so not bad. The winter weather is finally starting for us now which is nice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Dave, get yourself a warmshowers account (free places to camp). You probably also want to get the aca route maps. They'll give you safe routes to everywhwre you've discussed (they keys, new orleans, denver), plus they'll tell you were food, camping (incl free), and other stuff is. They are so good.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

DICK DICER posted:

Rock on Dave.

https://youtu.be/tz6u9suVNlY

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Sims, I hope you realize you can't ever get rid of the truck.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Be sure to allow time to stop at Gatorland on your way to/from the Cape for the rocket. It's 100% American kitsch. Aside from that I have no recommendations regarding Orlando other than to get out.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Been a great thread so far, and the adventures of Dave may(?) be moving to its own thread soon, but I'm sure the story of the trukk is not over.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DICK DICER posted:

Good man. If you're ever in San Diego drop me a line and I'll buy ya a beer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

Also your teeth. You have neglected them for too long and just put up with the pain and discomfort. Many are in need of serious work. You will be amazed at how much easier it is to cope when you're not it chronic dental pain.

FWIW, my teeth are in far worse shape than his, and there's no pain or discomfort for me, and hasn't been for over 10 years. Maybe the nerves just all died off in my case (I mean... a tooth did kinda pop out on its own last year, root and all, but it'd had a root canal and had a crown on it).

Not discounting what you're saying, just saying that bad teeth don't necessarily mean someone's in pain or discomfort. My only discomfort is when I'm trying to take a bite out of, say, burnt toast (since most of my missing teeth are top row, and right up front). Meth is the gift that keeps on giving (tooth fairy) gifts, and I haven't touched the poo poo in probably 16 years.

I'd like to get implants eventually, but that's going to take some serious cash (and my last dentist left me with some pretty bad anxiety about ever going to a dentist again). And oddly it's only the top row that's rough - the bottom row is intact except for one that was surgically removed (also had wisdoms removed).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 25, 2017

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

God drat what a ride. This thread has been great and one of the few ever that's made me get off my rear end and actually contribute in some small way to SA rather than just lurking and reading. Thanks ExplodingSims for starting us all on this crazy adventure, and thanks Dave for all the ups, downs, and farts along the way.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know if angryrobots and ExplodingSims enjoyed the farting quite as much as everyone else did. :v:

Hopefully the tow rig doesn't have to be burned to get rid of the smell. :ohdear:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 25, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

DICK DICER posted:

I'm happy for you, man. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the next journey!

e: and Sims - dude - you are an awesome person for letting Dave in on this epic, epic tale. Thank you, seriously.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I don't know if angryrobots and ExplodingSims enjoyed the farting quite as much as everyone else did. :v:

Hopefully the tow rig doesn't have to be burned to get rid of the smell. :ohdear:

The chili he wanted around 3am would probably have been worse. :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

DICK DICER posted:

Best thing I've read today. You have done well getting the gently caress out of a bad situation and getting yourself turned around.

So as I now understand Dave and the truck part ways and ExplodingSims takes it from here?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Good to have you back, Dave.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Goldmine. Doesn't get any better than this.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Congratulations to everyone. Didn't expect a heartwarming feeling from this thread. God drat it's got everything!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

FWIW, my teeth are in far worse shape than his, and there's no pain or discomfort for me, and hasn't been for over 10 years. Maybe the nerves just all died off in my case (I mean... a tooth did kinda pop out on its own last year, root and all, but it'd had a root canal and had a crown on it).

Not discounting what you're saying, just saying that bad teeth don't necessarily mean someone's in pain or discomfort. My only discomfort is when I'm trying to take a bite out of, say, burnt toast (since most of my missing teeth are top row, and right up front). Meth is the gift that keeps on giving (tooth fairy) gifts, and I haven't touched the poo poo in probably 16 years.

I'd like to get implants eventually, but that's going to take some serious cash (and my last dentist left me with some pretty bad anxiety about ever going to a dentist again). And oddly it's only the top row that's rough - the bottom row is intact except for one that was surgically removed (also had wisdoms removed).

My main point, I guess, is that Dave isn't an indestructible teenager anymore. Just toughing it out can lead to all sorts of chronic problems that cascade from the initial, fairly minor (and readily treatable) issue. Preventive care is valuable. Getting a small thing fixed now can save a whole lot of misery later.

Dave needs to start taking care of himself and plan on living a long time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

You passed a truck in a truck pulling a truck. :perfect:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Applebees Appetizer posted:

[e] come to think of it Dave, the Keys are still recovering from Irma, you could probably make some spare cash if you needed it just helping out doing manual labor type poo poo. This time of year is perfect for it because it's starting to cool off now.

The whole Gulf Coast could use a hand, to be honest. Harvey fuckin' destroyed Port Aransas here in Texas, and about thirty miles inland, we're still doing infrastructure repairs in Victoria. A winter spent not freezing your balls off while helping a community rebuild would make you feel good for helping out, at the very least.

It's been a helluva ride. Thanks, everyone who contributed time and effort in support of this insanity.

and sims if you ever sell or otherwise get rid of that truck i'ma send dave a case of pickled quail eggs and pay him hourly to sit by the return vent in your house

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
best thread. Holy poo poo.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Best thread in the forums. I don't know if you are south enough to find some cuban food but might as well try.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Come to me, my tiny lizard minions :black101:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DICK DICER posted:

Come to me, my tiny lizard minions :black101:

Yep, he's in Florida.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Thems good eatin.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I probably missed it; but, what happened to the camper?

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Tremek is trailering it back

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

c355n4 posted:

I probably missed it; but, what happened to the camper?

It's heading back to Denver as a future home base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
CAMPING. WORLD. STADIUM.

• Locked thread