Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Getsuya posted:

I’ve never played Soul Reaver, is it worth the $2 it’s on sale for now? I’m probably grabbing Blood Omen for nostalgia.

Soul Reaver has gaming VA legends Michael Bell, Tony Jay and Simon Templeman all hamming it up at once and for that alone it's worth $2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would play the Dreamcast version over the PS1 but as long as you're not put off by an old 3D platformer you'll have fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I really liked Soul Reaver's environment kill mechanic. The plane-shifting puzzles were cool too.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Others have commented on the excellent voice work. Don't go through the effort of trying to set up a controller in the PC version, the analog stick won't behave correctly. There's some neat puzzles involving the spirit realm mechanic but be ready to google some of the timing-dependent puzzles. The level layouts make it tough to know which way to run once a timer starts and I think there's literally a bug that makes the timers count down too fast on PC, it's unclear.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’m getting the PS1 version on PS3 so I’m covered.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Phantasium posted:

God, I love Breath of Fire.

It's a shame that After the lackluster BoF5, BoF6 has probably killed the series forever. :sigh:

Kinda glad Konami is terrible and hasn't made a Suikoden mobile game yet, not that we'd ever see it in the west.

BadAstronaut posted:

I also have Final Fantasy VI but I'm not sure how much old-school random combat I can stomach at the moment.

FF6 on Steam is the mobile version so I hope you like Timmy's First RPG Maker levels of artistic quality. The only reason I can think of to play the mobile version instead of a SNES or GBA* version is that the mobile version made it so Cyan's skills charge after you select them, not before, so he's only marginally bad instead of actively terrible when you aren't using the pyscho cyan glitch.

* IIRC, someone found the GBA version buried in the files for FF6 on steam, so maybe there's a play made mod to unfuck the game's appearance.

Relin posted:

ive gotten to the point in tactics ogre luct where i do very little damage to inhuman enemies, and most things hit me for 80% of my hp. maybe the solution is to make all my equipment +1? i dont know if i have the heart for all that minmaxing. i dont think i'm overlevelled? this is feeling like oblivion all over again

ive played a lot of srpgs and this might be the worst, design wise.

How are your levels compared to the enemy? If it's anything like the original a 1 level difference can be huge when dealing with most monster-type enemies until late in the game.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

After the lackluster BoF5

:catstare:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
:catstare:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Capcom where is the BOF5 port for ps4? :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
give me a pc port of all the ps4 releases of the ps2 games

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dragon Quarter sucked, I'm sorry you had to find out this way

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i will play bof5 before i allow people to tell me if it is bad

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i just played it and it was cool. very oppressive. definitely wildly different from the rest of the series though...i dont think i saw ONE person with blue hair.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

gotta love all of those gameplay merits of bof3 and 4 that make them unique like uhhhh.... oh boy, the mentor system

look at me mom, i'm ~customizing~ *proceeds to utterly mangle the entire party's stats*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BoF 3 is like 'weird bullshit that makes no sense: the game" and that makes it kind of engaging but it's also a gigantic mess mechanically and it's a good thing that it's so absurdly easy you can sleepwalk through it. BoF 4 is a bit mechanically better but BoF5 is just overall a much better designed game.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

The only thing about those games that genuinely caught my attention was the Gene system and everything else was "well, this sure is a jrpg that looks like every other jrpg on the system"

4 had really good sprite art and a hosed up plot too I guess but I tend to divorce that from gameplay analysis

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the draw of 3 and 4 is the rly weird plot and sprite art. also, if you love....really weird minigames...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bof5 is definitely the most mechanically interesting but it doesnt exactly put its best foot forward or give the player room to not be immensely terrified of having to 'redo the entire game' even if thats not quite how it works

and bof4 has a way more interesting plot

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bo3 is one of the worst rpg's i ever played

bo4 is quite nice tho

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Real talk I remember nothing about Dragon Quarter beyond not liking it enough to continue playing it. Also I'm pretty sure none of the playable characters are cool animal people

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i still mourn some of the localization choices in BoF4 because a shaggy samurai dog who's too fukken drunk to talk 90% of the time is an inexpressibly perfect concept

he even laps from a sake cup in his victory animation

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

lin in bo5 is a catgirl.
i did feel that the game took a while to get going, and wasn't wild about having to replay it to see plot-relevant scenes.

the pacing of 1-4 is really weird. 10 minute of fou-lu adventures and then 4 hours of ryu on a muppet island.
but i haven't played another series where you have to go inside a fat queen to exorcise cellulite demons

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

GulagDolls posted:

lin in bo5 is a catgirl.
whoah, 3 humans and a human with a tail, spicy stuff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There must be something about Dragon Quarter because I played quite far into it at a time when I would have just given up on anything that seemed remotely difficult. Then I got into what seemed like an unwinnable situation and picked the wrong restart option that just took away all my items and I stopped.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

i still mourn some of the localization choices in BoF4 because a shaggy samurai dog who's too fukken drunk to talk 90% of the time is an inexpressibly perfect concept

he even laps from a sake cup in his victory animation

To be fair, given it's a 90's localization during the whole GAMES ARE EVIL/SATANIC/ENCOURAGING BAD THINGS era, the stuff that was excised you can at least clearly tell why those bits got cut unlike some localizations. Frankly though, I'm amazed they got away with as much as they did all things considered. Breath of Fire IV gets dark.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

There must be something about Dragon Quarter because I played quite far into it at a time when I would have just given up on anything that seemed remotely difficult. Then I got into what seemed like an unwinnable situation and picked the wrong restart option that just took away all my items and I stopped.

the actual major standout issue with bof5 is that the game gives almost no explanation for how the SOL system works when it's a core goddamn function of the game and most people end up with this as their experience with the game

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I found it hard to enjoy BoF4 because the Fou Lu plot was interesting but Ryu was just dicking about doing nothing important 90% of the time. Also the fishing and dragon transformations suuuuuuucked

E: that said, I really liked how party members recovered in the back row and could do stuff too

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 25, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Breath of Fire II's GBA port was one of the first RPGs I ever really played so it has a soft spot in my heart even if its just a weird mess translation and mechanics-wise.

It has a real whimsy to it and I kinda like most of the game is a gigantic extended sidequest of a sidequest as you get roped into fighting demons to exonerate your idiot friend for a robbery (that he only didn't commit because someone else beat him to the punch).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not far into Nights of Azure 2 yet, but it seems fine to me. It looks like they gave the weapons a lot more combos than were in the first one, and the change to the servan summoning is fine by me since I wasn't huge on how they worked in the first game. I'll see how restrictive the time limit is, but last time I heard complaints about a time limit was Lightning Returns and you could do almost everything in that game in the first playthrough with days to spare.

Edit: Boss fights also appear to not be subject to the hunt timer.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also gust has made dozens of games with time limits so i imagine they know how to balance them

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Technically if you grind you can just put ability points into extending the timer, allowing you to grind more to extend the timer to grind more to etc...
But sacrificing fun for more time on the clock is dumb so you're better off just making yourself better.
Also the change to only 2 Servans + a Lilly makes me wonder how the game would hold up with 4 of them like the previous one, because the framerate is trying its best here and just can't handle it sometimes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I haven't had any issues with framerate. Also the game's main difficulty is the timer, so it's better to focus on that since enemies aren't gonna be a big issue, other than you dying due to running out of time. Haven't needed to grind just yet, I just focused on the story and subquests.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relin posted:

ive gotten to the point in tactics ogre luct where i do very little damage to inhuman enemies, and most things hit me for 80% of my hp. maybe the solution is to make all my equipment +1? i dont know if i have the heart for all that minmaxing. i dont think i'm overlevelled? this is feeling like oblivion all over again

ive played a lot of srpgs and this might be the worst, design wise.

Have you been equipping the stat boosting skills?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is the timer in Azure Nights 2 or whatever a game-wide timer, or something like the first game where it's just a timer limiting the time you can go out in 'runs'?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Is the timer in Azure Nights 2 or whatever a game-wide timer, or something like the first game where it's just a timer limiting the time you can go out in 'runs'?

There are two timers. One is the timer per run, which starts at 10 minutes and goes up by 10 seconds per level (and it looks like you will gain a lot of levels) plus you can spend skill points that you get while leveling on skills that give you more time as well. There is also an overall game timer that will tick down a day with each outing, but you gain days back by beating bosses and probably some other ways, since that timer starts at less than half remaining.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 25, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

ive been playing cosmic star heroine on super spy and it's pretty nice that way, although the bug robot lab was somewhat frustrating. i really like the enemies damage increasing over time so you can't just turtle and win by virtue of the fact that you have sort of infinite resources. my only complaint about the battles is that it's pretty vague about what exactly certain abilities/items/programs do.

if you liked heroine you should try echoes of aetheria after you are done

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dragon Quarter was to the Breath of Fire series what Suikoden 4 was to the Suikoden series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Suikoden 4 didn't kill off the series

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dragon Quarter was to the Breath of Fire series what Suikoden 4 was to the Suikoden series.
suikoden 4 sold less than suikoden 3 but still a decent amount, but its lower quality heavily damaged the sales of the sequel, suikoden v, despite suikoden v being considered a much better game. (Suikoden V coming out so close to the end of the PS2's life probably didn't help)

dragon quarter just sold like poo poo all on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also Suikoden IV was an incredibly traditional Suikoden game full of tons of franchise callbacks and was maligned for its poor overall quality. DQ was a drastic change for the series which for good or ill wasn't what people wanted.