Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bolow posted:

I'd be down with Niddhogg's agenda if he just straight up exterminated the proto-ishgardians right out the gate instead of just doing some protracted torture session, to the point it just shatters his mind and his incapable of even the basest of logic or reason

Same. Attacking Vidofnir, while I saw it coming, was pretty hosed up, too. Glad she lived, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Bolow posted:

I'd be down with Niddhogg's agenda if he just straight up exterminated the proto-ishgardians right out the gate instead of just doing some protracted torture session, to the point it just shatters his mind and his incapable of even the basest of logic or reason

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always figured that the Dragonsong War was more of an incredibly long and incredibly bloody stalemate. A half-powered Nidhogg couldn't crush the Ishgardians single-handedly (and would probably rather not take a Dragonkiller through his one eye and die, ending his plans for vengeance) so he just throws his brood at them endlessly, and the Ishgardians couldn't muster enough military force to invade and destroy The Aery even if they could get to it. And since Nidhogg was obviously in no mood for peace and the Ishgardian Church doesn't want their social order and base of power to collapse, both sides just wind up throwing their forces at each other with ruinous results for everyone involved. Obviously, this all goes out the window once you kill Thordan and accidentally recreate a full-powered Nidhogg with a side of Azure Dragoon.

Speaking of dragons, I wonder when/if they're going to do anything with Tiamat. Seems like a waste to just leave her sitting in a forgotten corner of the map mourning/self-flagellating for eternity.

Augus posted:

If I'm not mistaken, that's his opener, not his enrage

I think you're right, I just wanted to make a reference to the second most-terrifying game over screen in history. Looks like the actual hard enrage is Teraflare, or some version of it?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always figured that the Dragonsong War was more of an incredibly long and incredibly bloody stalemate. A half-powered Nidhogg couldn't crush the Ishgardians single-handedly (and would probably rather not take a Dragonkiller through his one eye and die, ending his plans for vengeance) so he just throws his brood at them endlessly, and the Ishgardians couldn't muster enough military force to invade and destroy The Aery even if they could get to it. And since Nidhogg was obviously in no mood for peace and the Ishgardian Church doesn't want their social order and base of power to collapse, both sides just wind up throwing their forces at each other with ruinous results for everyone involved. Obviously, this all goes out the window once you kill Thordan and accidentally recreate a full-powered Nidhogg with a side of Azure Dragoon.

Speaking of dragons, I wonder when/if they're going to do anything with Tiamat. Seems like a waste to just leave her sitting in a forgotten corner of the map mourning/self-flagellating for eternity.

I think you're right, I just wanted to make a reference to the second most-terrifying game over screen in history. Looks like the actual hard enrage is Teraflare, or some version of it?

I think it's the second or first time you visit Hraesvelgr, that it's outright stated that Niddhogg never intended to end the Dragonsong War until his hand was forced when the Archbishop started actively looking for Azys Lla. He was perfectly content waging a forever war and corrupting random Ishgardians to turn brother against brother as it were, forever. That knowledge is the catalyst that finally brings Ysale to your side to end the war because Nidhogg isn't seeking vengeance at that point, he's just being a malignant fuckhead

The story is a bit fresher in my mind since I hit 70 like a month ago. I loved the hell out of all the Dragonsong War poo poo

Terrene
May 1, 2009
So I just got to 50 on my AST which opened up a lot of dungeons and trials since this is my second job.

I'm really intimidated doing 8-mans since I've never done it before. Does anyone have any advice/guides they would recommend to read up on?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Terrene posted:

So I just got to 50 on my AST which opened up a lot of dungeons and trials since this is my second job.

I'm really intimidated doing 8-mans since I've never done it before. Does anyone have any advice/guides they would recommend to read up on?

Jump in with the MSQ Hard primals, watch a Youtube guide if you're panicking. You get a co-healer, you'll be surprised how not bad they are.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
You guys

I have spent the night in Ultimate Coil and I am

Just

So happy Twisters are a part of my life again :unsmith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Meiteron posted:

You guys

I have spent the night in Ultimate Coil and I am

Just

So happy Twisters are a part of my life again :unsmith:

:same:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Brainamp posted:

Logged out like normal and came back to see my bars all enlarged.

Don't know why the patch hosed with my ui, but it was fixed easily enough.

Happened to myself and a handful of others on Omega. Seems pretty localised but still bloody annoying.

e:
Also if your HUD has reset at all, make double sure about your GC item hand in settings. Mine reset and I almost turned in actual good gear that I use.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 25, 2017

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
My bars didn't change, but half of my job's job gauges restored to their default settings. Happened to a friend of mine, too. Wonder what happened. Want to say that GC setting didn't reset, but I'll be extra careful tomorrow.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Managed to defeat Ultimate Twintania with a pickup group and then died like five seconds into the next phase, pretty cool.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I wonder if they're gonna do more with the dragons and the Allagan war stuff in the future simply because Shinryu's P1 theme is an arrangement of Order yet Undeciphered and that struck me as odd. Then again, maybe Soken just likes that leitmotif.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 25, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Breaking the link because it's Ulti Baha Phase 3 mechanic spoilers

https://twitter.com /Mi_ii_iM/status/923093760774365184

:eyepop:

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Breaking the link because it's Ulti Baha Phase 3 mechanic spoilers

https://twitter.com /Mi_ii_iM/status/923093760774365184

:same:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ SmilingAbrasiveSnoodTheThing

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/344319-Excluding-Players-from-Ultimate-Savage-is-Not-the-Right-Move

I'm loving dead.

Augus posted:

If I'm not mistaken, that's his opener, not his enrage

You are correct, that's from the transition into his phase, not out of it. From what I'm aware, people haven't made it past Bahamut's first major mechanic. It's the Twister Dives that Yoship was afraid no one would be able to get past. Worse yet, Bahamut's specific divebomb during this is explicitly Megaflare Dive from T13. He also does the Earth Shaker/Tempest Wing combo (also from T13) as soon as he lands, while the Megaflares are going off. This is apparently as far as anyone has seen.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 25, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Today: You should be able to enter Unending Coil regardless of whether you can clear O4S
Tomorrow: You should be allowed to see the Nael phase even if you're bad at the game
Day after: Why can't I see the Bahamut phase? I pay just as much as the people who can beat Nael!

Why can't I see if there's something after Bahamut???
I should be given the i345 weapon, it's not fair that just because others can do it that I shouldn't have it.

When is Ultimate Coil (Story) happening????

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

To be fair to that thread OP, they did change their stance and realised some benefits to it being locked.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

As a dirty casual who will probably never see it, is ultimate coil like a single instance where you get Bahamut's Greatest Hits + a healthy dose of gently caress'yall or is it an instance chain?

Normally I would prefer there not to be gating like that, since being able to zone into an instance and die horribly to it is something I find fun on occasion, but it sounds like this was literally done as a "No, this is actually hard enough that if you can't do O4S we don't want your guild to implode over it." mental health check so, well, I can't exactly disagree with that.

(It also sounds like it might actually be impossible without the O4S gear. That's some tight tuning, drat.)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 25, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Having certain things in a game be something that drives you forward to get good enough to see and do it is something that should be totally encouraged.

It's not that not everything is everyone, it's that this is everyone who wants to do it, but do it you actually have to be good enough to get here. If you aren't at that point, start getting to a point where you are or accept you won't. I know that I won't be doing this fight, but I'm still really enjoying watching others try.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
For a second I wondered if I'd wandered into the Destiny 2 thread by accident.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mistaya posted:

As a dirty casual who will probably never see it, is ultimate coil like a single instance where you get Bahamut's Greatest Hits + a healthy dose of gently caress'yall or is it an instance chain?

The former.

In case it wasn't clear enough, if you can't clear O4S you will never even make a dent in Unending Coil. It will cause nothing but bad experiences for you and your friends. The content gate is absolutely for the best.

I'm probably not the kind of player who will ever do Unending Coil but I'm perfectly fine with watching the madness unfold in streams.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Augus posted:

I'm probably not the kind of player who will ever do Unending Coil but I'm perfectly fine with watching the madness unfold in streams.

It's Not For Me, but I'm glad it exists.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The good thing about Unending Coil from what I've seen is that it's so mechanics heavy that unsynching it's not going to make it a total push over like Bahamut and Twintania's original fights. Nael is a little harder to unsync because you* can still really easily gently caress up the meteor placements and they're unskippable.

*Royal you = clueless pubbies

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

It's me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's Not For Me, but I'm glad it exists.

I'm glad it exists so I can loudly judge the kind of poopsocker who can do it successfully while silently hating myself for not being good enough to do it myself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://clips.twitch.tv /BlushingCorrectTruffleSoBayed
(Broken in case it auto embeds, don't know if it can)

This happened about 4% into Bahamut Prime

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Don't break twitch links. They do not auto embed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Okie doke, wasn't sure because I've had people say my YT links have but they never do embed for me.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShakingInquisitiveNightingaleDendiFace

This is one including that and the transition before it.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 25, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

When is Ultimate Coil (Story) happening????

While most of this is stupid I'd unironically be up for them to create something on part with Alex Normal for the binding coils so more people can actually see that content.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The good thing about Unending Coil from what I've seen is that it's so mechanics heavy that unsynching it's not going to make it a total push over like Bahamut and Twintania's original fights. Nael is a little harder to unsync because you* can still really easily gently caress up the meteor placements and they're unskippable.

No, that you was definitely aimed at me. I have the PTSD to prove it. :shepicide:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

While most of this is stupid I'd unironically be up for them to create something on part with Alex Normal for the binding coils so more people can actually see that content.

They did, it's called "Unsync"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://clips.twitch.tv /BlushingCorrectTruffleSoBayed
(Broken in case it auto embeds, don't know if it can)

This happened about 4% into Bahamut Prime

there's cleaving the group, and then there's that
Ultimate difficulty practically feels like self-parody, the phase transitions so far are just like "Oh gee kid good jo-DIE"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think I'm ok at the game, but gently caress, now I'm starting to reconsider. That looks like pure insanity. Bless all of you that are giving it an honest go. Please do not kill each other.

Brainamp posted:

Logged out like normal and came back to see my bars all enlarged.

Don't know why the patch hosed with my ui, but it was fixed easily enough.

I had this problem, dunno why either. Several bars like my HP and exp were turned off and all of my stuff looks minuscule now. And resizing it doesn't make it look right either, so I kinda gave up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We have confirmed the below issue.
We ask for your patience and understanding as we strive to resolve this promptly.

【Known Issue】

- The HUD layout may switch back to default when logging in after Patch 4.11.

We have confirmed that this issue occurs when there is at least one unused slot in the HUD layout mode. However, because it is possible there are other conditions that may also trigger the issue, we are continuing to investigate. We will update you as soon as there is any new information.

We apologise for the inconvenience this may be causing.

- From the launcher

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm so happy Ultimate exists. It's the tiniest sliver of content to satisfy top-end raiders, the rewards aren't game-breakingly good so you're not required to even attempt it as current content, and I just laugh thinking about Yoship greenlighting this and going "Okay, don't say we didn't warn you!"

And speaking of optional content, I've been dedicating this week to finishing Yokai after realizing my previous error. I have... 120 medals to go. :shepicide: At least tomorrow is a work from home day!

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 25, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Is there a way to emphasize my own debuffs on the boss, or at least isolate them? If not is there some kind of internal rhythm to Bard that I'm missing when it comes to managing your Bites?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Videos of the mechanics are great content for people that aren’t doing them too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bolow posted:

Is there a way to emphasize my own debuffs on the boss, or at least isolate them? If not is there some kind of internal rhythm to Bard that I'm missing when it comes to managing your Bites?

your debuffs are listed first and have a green number.

You can turn off other people's debuffs and have it set so that it only displays your own, but it gets a bit confusing if you're sharing a party with someone who can overwrite yours, like warrior and ninja with the slashing debuff.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Renegret posted:

your debuffs are listed first and have a green number.

You can turn off other people's debuffs and have it set so that it only displays your own, but it gets a bit confusing if you're sharing a party with someone who can overwrite yours, like warrior and ninja with the slashing debuff.

In a perfect world, you'd be able to prioritize showing whatever buffs you want based on a list or search function. And there'd be a way to show the target's current vulnerabilities and overall extra percent damage taken from sources, what with all the vuln stacking and MATH that happens now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

With that Phase 3 video I linked earlier, the player in the clip spent the next 30 minutes watching it over and discussing it so it's useful for them as well. Getting back to that mechanic to try it again seems a LOT easier said than done. It's super cool to see this happen live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

And speaking of optional content, I've been dedicating this week to finishing Yokai after realizing my previous error. I have... 120 medals to go. :shepicide: At least tomorrow is a work from home day!

Please don't grind for medals. :ohdear: