Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Oh God they're actually going through with the Venom movie? I would have bet that would have been consigned to the ash heap with Gambit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rough Lobster posted:

Oh God they're actually going through with the Venom movie? I would have bet that would have been consigned to the ash heap with Gambit.

They aren't going through with Gambit?!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They aren't going through with Gambit?!

They've been trying to do it for like ten years and lose a director every three months.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Venom's kind of a boring character isn't he? What's the hook?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

porfiria posted:

People like buying shirts with his symbol on them

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
They only way it would really work is if the go with the anti-hero angle.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 24, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

They only way it would really work is if the go with the anti-hero angle.

Horror movie

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm not familiar with the particulars of the Disney/Sony Spider-man deal. Is Venom more a Sony movie or a Disney/Marvel movie?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm not familiar with the particulars of the Disney/Sony Spider-man deal. Is Venom more a Sony movie or a Disney/Marvel movie?

I believe this is a Sony solo thing

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The current Venom thing is he takes some pill regularly to make him not evil. I only read one page in a free preview but lmao thats bad

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

got any sevens posted:

The current Venom thing is he takes some pill regularly to make him not evil. I only read one page in a free preview but lmao thats bad

So what's that supposed to be an allegory for?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

So what's that supposed to be an allegory for?

We need to keep taking pills instead facing the reality of the world around us so we don't go insane and murder people

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think the idea is that they're Sony "spinoffs" to Spider-Man: Homecoming but not actually part of the MCU. So Sony seems to be doing its own "Spider-Verse" that they say sits next to the MCU presumably with the hopes to get Holland and/or the MCU into it in the future, but if not just piggyback off of them. There's also that Silver Sable/Black Cat film.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

James Mangold confirms that a script to an X-23 movie is being worked on.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

STAC Goat posted:

There's also that Silver Sable/Black Cat film.

:lol: if they think anyone actually wants to see that

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Female-lead action movies can be pretty successful.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not going to pretend I'm hyped for a Black Cat/Silver Sable movie but I'm probably theoretically as interested in it as I am for a hypothetical Aquaman or Ant-Man movie. A woman driven story of super powered mercenaries isn't a terrible idea if there's an actual story or something.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That's fair, I probably would have thought of the same thing about GotG if I didn't know anything about them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MacheteZombie posted:

Solo is a Disney thing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

Solo is a Disney thing.

But it's a Cyborg movie?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not going to pretend I'm hyped for a Black Cat/Silver Sable movie but I'm probably theoretically as interested in it as I am for a hypothetical Aquaman or Ant-Man movie. A woman driven story of super powered mercenaries isn't a terrible idea if there's an actual story or something.

There's a few cool directions they could take it in. Black Cat (I don't know where the comics are at now) was everything from a simple burglar up to a major crime boss.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

The MSJ posted:

But it's a Cyborg movie?

Holy poo poo! that's the movie that's been in my brain since I was a kid,i could never remember the fuckin' name!

That movie suuuuuuuuuuuuucks,but it has a hilarious bit where the bad guys are trying to blow him up and he suddenly starts doing backflips while explosions go off behind him for no reason whatsoever with gratuitous slo-mo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a few cool directions they could take it in. Black Cat (I don't know where the comics are at now) was everything from a simple burglar up to a major crime boss.

I'm guessing a bit of a spin on the Suicide Squad idea where Sable has her mercenary group and Black Cat is one of the "reforming" villains who are part of it. There's a simple enough formula there of Sable being the by the books military type with a dark past and Black Cat being the difficult villain with a heart of gold who has to learn to be a team player/hero. Its probably a matter of what kind of story and talent develop.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Away all Goats posted:

[thinking about this critically now] Two women in catsuits? I'm in!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jenny Angel posted:

[thinking about this critically now] Two women in catsuits? I'm in!

Post credits sequence, whoever's playing Black Cat returns home after successfully completing their mission/earning Silver Sable's respect/all the good guys definitively win/everyone's happy but notices the door to her place is already opened. A haggard Halle Berry and an eye-patch wearing Michelle Pfeiffer step out from the shadows, "We're here to talk to you about the catsuit initiative."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MacheteZombie posted:

We need to keep taking pills instead facing the reality of the world around us so we don't go insane and murder people

Guilty.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

"the catsuit initiative."

This is my new synthpop band

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Holy poo poo! that's the movie that's been in my brain since I was a kid,i could never remember the fuckin' name!

That movie suuuuuuuuuuuuucks,but it has a hilarious bit where the bad guys are trying to blow him up and he suddenly starts doing backflips while explosions go off behind him for no reason whatsoever with gratuitous slo-mo.

The book it's based on (Weapon by Robert Mason) is pretty drat awesome though. Mason also wrote one of the best 'I was there' Vietnam books ever.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

porfiria posted:

He's got the basic Jekyll/Hyde deal going on plus a touch of Carpenter's The Thing-esque body horror, but most of the time he really enjoys the experience because he was a violent jerk to start with.

The character's original story was that he was a self centered prick who blamed his lovely life on Spider-Man because [reasons] who got turned into a supervillain when he bonded with a shapeshifting alien who also hated Spider-Man because [reasons] so they dedicated themselves to try and kill Spider-Man or otherwise ruin his life if that wasn't possible. Dunno how they'll spin that if they remove all mention of Spider-Man from the standalone movie.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MacheteZombie posted:

I really wish they had thought this through and not made Venom a Sony solo thing. It could have worked really well if they gave Peter the black costume/symbiote in Avengers 3. Then have Peter lose it in the third Spiderman 2 and Venom can be a villain with a decent take on his origin.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dunno how they'll spin that if they remove all mention of Spider-Man from the standalone movie.
Venom will be a hero who hates [black market weapons traders] for [reasons].

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Formula's simple,

Make a Venom movie where he's likable and cool, and then a second movie, Spiderman vs. Venom.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
Thor Ragnarok - not plot spoilers but something that I was upset that was left out of the visual design :

Scene after scene of beautiful dense Kirby inspired sets, costumes, characters, color schemes and yet I did not spot a single drat Kirby Krackle effect. What do people think we were buying tickets for ?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd like to announce that I'll be directing Gambit! It's due for release two years from today.

[gets handed slip of paper]

I'm no longer directing Gambit! Creative differences.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

quote:

decent

lol

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

porfiria posted:

Ideally speaking, the hook of Venom is the bipartisan nature of the character. The symbiote doesn't have a completely free will, and largely acts based on the emotions and desire of the host. The host, on the other hand, has very little say over what the symbiote does end up doing. The best Venom stories do a lot of cool stuff with the relationship between the host and the symbiote, whereas the worst just treat him as an angry goop gorilla.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
So I saw Thor Ragnarock last night, and thought it was great. Very funny in places, and even though there are some pretty sombre moments it definitely doesn't take itself too seriously.

I have some friends that are huge fans of the Thor comics that didn't love the new movie, but they didn't hate it at the same time.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Just got home from Thor. Really really enjoyed it but didn't love it as much as I thought I would. To give a non-spoiler, broad brushstrokes review of the movie, the first act isn't very good. It's flashy but things move WAY too fast. Pivotal moments just rushed through in order to be referenced later I guess. The final act is a little too much of what looked like Marvel Studios going "make sure you get all this poo poo in there". Not very interesting.

The middle act though, this is where it gets fan-loving-tastic. It probably makes up the bulk of the movie and it's everything you'd want to see based on the trailers and more. If the whole movie was on that level it'd be incredible. In particular Thor, Hulk/Banner, Loki and Grandmaster were all great in their own right but their interactions are really what makes it. Really hilarious. Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie was ok but I really don't see why all the reviews were saying she was the greatest thing about the movie. Same thing with Cate Blanchett as Hela. She was alright. The character has an interesting role within the mythos but as far as her presence in the movie? I dunno. Didn't really interest me. She throws a lot of knives.

The action was great. That fight between Thor and Hulk is absolutely bananas. I also really liked the fact that it kind of broke away from that thing that Marvel likes to do where they have a hero, a villain, they fight and then everything just returns to normal at the end. This is more Winter Soldier-esque where it feels like lasting change has occurred.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
How was the tension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

JordanKai posted:

Ideally speaking, the hook of Venom is the bipartisan nature of the character. The symbiote doesn't have a completely free will, and largely acts based on the emotions and desire of the host. The host, on the other hand, has very little say over what the symbiote does end up doing. The best Venom stories do a lot of cool stuff with the relationship between the host and the symbiote, whereas the worst just treat him as an angry goop gorilla.

Venom is basically american Guyver anyway.

• Locked thread