Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

The neatest thing about rock nongirls is they kind of solved the worst thing about cgi models, the bad hair. Like it is still kind of really weird looking and definitely overcompensating, but you can just pretend that's cuz it is goddamn rock. I love how the show looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

and maybe if hideous cgi steven universe series didn't want people to address the rocks with she they shouldn't just have drawn a bunch of girls, give the lot of them female vas and added worlds most stereotypical big bald man to round out the cast
lol

Julias posted:

Davincie is right and Endorph is just being an rear end in a top hat because she's already decided she doesn't like AVeryLargeRaddish.
no im being an rear end in a top hat because they're posting weird. acting like people shouldn't id or engage with a show just because the characters might not turn to the camera and go on a monologue about not falling into the gender binary is dumb. also 'davincie is right' applies to the second part of his post as well, which is pretty horrendous.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway that was kind of a bad post but it was like 4 in the morning and ive spent 20 years having people do the 'don't get your hopes up... this series doesn't ACTUALLY engage with these things' dance even about things that are already finished and clearly did. like I spent a lot of my formative years arguing on the internet about utena being a show about lesbians and usually getting banned for disagreeing with the group think that it was a shoujo romance and utena belonged with touga, lol. so i got a little heated. I'm not gonna back down on the 'posting like this is kind of a lovely thing to do' thing but yeah, that wasn't really contributing to the conversation any.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't even know how you come out of utena with that straight reading lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i don't even know how you come out of utena with that straight reading lmao
ask the person who wrote the utena manga

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....Doesn't the Utena movie end with her and Anthy banging on top of a motorcycle-chariot thing as they ride away from some dude's castle as it crumbles to dust?

You know, like straight people do?

Also Konohana Kitan is sneaky-good, the last two eps have quietly been more sensitive and ambitious than the premise and intro might have led people to believe.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm the only person in the world who likes Touga as an interesting character and I even i think that's bananas. Chiho Saito you good?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes but if you don't watch the utena movie, the series gives a lot of utena/touga and saves most of the utena/anthy for the very end

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I agree that the cgi in Houseki is really ugly. I'll definitely be sticking to the manga.

I've been enjoying The Ancient Magus and BBB though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

I'm the only person in the world who likes Touga as an interesting character and I even i think that's bananas. Chiho Saito you good?

i not only like touga, my favorite utena character is saionji

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Houseki no Cummies

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

hell yes

e: wait i just remembered tsuwabuki exists

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Endorph posted:

anyway that was kind of a bad post but it was like 4 in the morning and ive spent 20 years having people do the 'don't get your hopes up... this series doesn't ACTUALLY engage with these things' dance even about things that are already finished and clearly did. like I spent a lot of my formative years arguing on the internet about utena being a show about lesbians and usually getting banned for disagreeing with the group think that it was a shoujo romance and utena belonged with touga, lol. so i got a little heated. I'm not gonna back down on the 'posting like this is kind of a lovely thing to do' thing but yeah, that wasn't really contributing to the conversation any.

Well, sorry for coming off like that but I've watched a lot of people get angry and disappointed that something isn't what they assumed it would be. Another example was someone railing on Yuri on Ice for not having enough bigots, because they wanted a realistic portrayal of the struggles of a gay couple in conservative Japan, instead they got "Some aspirational, feel good pap".

And yeah, Utena is definitely about lesbians, like, I don't get how anyone could see it as about anything else? Touga always came off as this creepy rape guy wanting to get in the way of Utena and Anthy because he's super self centered and thinks everything should belong to him and sees Utena and Anthy as possessions instead of as people.

Anyway, sorry again about coming off as a jerk, it was not meant that way. :smith:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
[cracks my knuckles as i prepare my Touga Is A Victim Of Patriarchal Toxic Masculinity Too And His Confession And Begging At The End Is Absolutely Sincere effortpost]

Endorph posted:

that's some fuckin cosmic brain level takes and i respect it. i really need to rewatch it, i remember the saionji and wakaba relationship being really interesting

also touga introducing himself literally as I'm The Student Council President And A Totally Normal Boy is the funniest thing in a very funny show. touga best boy

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, sorry for coming off like that but I've watched a lot of people get angry and disappointed that something isn't what they assumed it would be. Another example was someone railing on Yuri on Ice for not having enough bigots, because they wanted a realistic portrayal of the struggles of a gay couple in conservative Japan, instead they got "Some aspirational, feel good pap".
i think you're just fundamentally misreading what people in this thread were saying or talking about. there's definitely weirdos like that but i dont think, for instance, talking about why yuri on ice appeals to you as a gay guy while it was airing would mean you'd wind up like that when it was over. people like that are gonna be weird almost regardless of what the show actually does, and likewise there are people who'll be satisfied even if the show kinda fumbles being #woke, because they're just reading what they want into it and don't need the show to confirm every single desire they have.

and dont worry about coming across as a jerk, i was kind of a dick too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

lmao

i mean tbf a show about people being happy in spite of societal pressure could be cool but i feel like that key thing that keeps coming up in these examples is just, people being assholes who are angry shows aren't brutal and crushing enough

but it's cool, man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why doesnt yuri on ice have a scene where one of them nancy kerrigan's another guy

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Endorph posted:

why doesnt yuri on ice have a scene where one of them nancy kerrigan's another guy

that would own

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

Yuri, Iced.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Moltrey posted:

[cracks my knuckles as i prepare my Touga Is A Victim Of Patriarchal Toxic Masculinity Too And His Confession And Begging At The End Is Absolutely Sincere effortpost]

that's some fuckin cosmic brain level takes and i respect it. i really need to rewatch it, i remember the saionji and wakaba relationship being really interesting

also touga introducing himself literally as I'm The Student Council President And A Totally Normal Boy is the funniest thing in a very funny show. touga best boy

My favourite character was Nanami and Touga will never earn forgiveness in my eyes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I like Utena, she's cool. :kiddo:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

please don't post movie spoilers as if they're a joke

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

I read that as Sarah Kerrigans, and someone pulling off lutz after lutz on the bone-blade tentacles coming out of their back would indeed be pretty rad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

I don't know what that means

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yuri on Ice started out with a legit good "holy poo poo Yuri you're such a closet case" tension that worked but it lost that once it started getting too many characters, and then it ended with a wet fart. You don't have to be depressing to be a good gay anime but Yuri on Ice could have been a lot better.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know what that means

Nancy Kerrigan was clubbed in the knee by someone hired by the ex-husband of rival skater Tonya Harding, in like 1994. It was a big tabloid thing with a lot of layers and I'd totally watch an anime about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yikes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

how about a Hollywood movie version

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

Nancy Kerrigan was clubbed in the knee by someone hired by the ex-husband of rival skater Tonya Harding, in like 1994. It was a big tabloid thing with a lot of layers and I'd totally watch an anime about it.

On top of that it was during the olympics as I recall.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

chumbler posted:

On top of that it was during the olympics as I recall.

It was like a month before at a US Championship but yea it was close.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I am Team Tonya! She's a badass and it sucks that she got swept up in this stupid nonsense that ruined her career.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's a good ESPN 30 for 30 documentary about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Yuri on Ice started out with a legit good "holy poo poo Yuri you're such a closet case" tension that worked but it lost that once it started getting too many characters, and then it ended with a wet fart. You don't have to be depressing to be a good gay anime but Yuri on Ice could have been a lot better.

yeah i dont think yuri on ice is super great but thats not really because it doesnt get into homophobia (esp. since its a japanese show and japanese homophobia is very different from the western homophobia most of those critics are probably imaginign for the show)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes. Anime-gataris is discussing the 3-ep test in episode 3.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

nielsm posted:

Yes. Anime-gataris is discussing the 3-ep test in episode 3.

So how meta is too meta?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

an actual dog posted:

Weird al mentioned it in a song

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
man it's kinda weird when people don't remember stuff that was a big fuckin deal at the time and then you realize it's probably because they weren't born or were tiny babies
:smith:

also wtf this is not the chat thread where am I

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just watched this trash documentary show about Amy Fisher and Joey Butafuoco and the whole time I was anticipating the story about John & Loraine Bobbet.

I unno, they should make an anime about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

man it's kinda weird when people don't remember stuff that was a big fuckin deal at the time and then you realize it's probably because they weren't born or were tiny babies
:smith:

also wtf this is not the chat thread where am I

https://twitter.com/worbzz/status/922907026476425219

• Locked thread