Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Haystack posted:

I wonder what's with the weird paucity of Harry-Potter-esque academy-based RPGs. Most other nerd genres have at least one popular take on them, why not the biggest, most influential fantasy series in recent history?

Only in the West. Japan has a ton of em. Course half of that is their obsession with high school as a setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Getsuya posted:

Speaking of Harry Potter, the creator of Magical Academy Harvest has agreed to let me make that my 2nd project. It’s something like 10x longer than LOST (especially thanks to 2 full supplements already being done) so at that point I might try to round up another translator or two to help.

Sorry, I'm having trouble finding anything about Magical Academy Harvest. Any info out there?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Beast and The Smiler were meant to correspond to Bush Sr. and Bill Clinton, respectively.

Plutonis posted:

The Beast was Nixon, the Smiler was Hillary

Warren Ellis has stated, even on these very forums I believe, that they were meant to represent Thatcher and Tony Blair, and how hatred of Thatcher and a desire for anything but her party's ogrish policies eventually led to people electing a two-faced neoliberal gently caress with no convictions. Although it's extremely likely Darick Robertson based their designs on Nixon and JFK, since he's American and all. I'm not sure anyone's directly asked him about it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I looked back over my sources and realized that the article that said the Smiler was based on Clinton was neither an interview nor authoritative in any way, just better-written than your typical omg u guyz trump is voldemort lol fml. Turns out it was actually Blair.

No Hero is not one of his better works, but it's downright weird how it prediction Hillary Clinton's rise to power.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 25, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

S.J. posted:

Sorry, I'm having trouble finding anything about Magical Academy Harvest. Any info out there?

We talked about it for a bit on page 255. It’s a (currently Japanese only) TRPG that combines the setting of Harry Potter, the flashy magic of the Tales series, and the combat system of Megaman Battle Network.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Did anyone else read yesterday's New Yorker article about D&D? (link: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-uncanny-resurrection-of-dungeons-and-dragons).

Read it, digest it, provide your thoughts. Mine are below in case you do not want to be negatively primed before reading the article.

OK, I have a lot of issues with it.
    1. It hits on one of my major pet peeves - that RPGs begin and end with the letters D&D.
    2. It hits on another peeve, and that's trotting out the old '4e is like a video game hurr' trope that never seems to die.
    3. It attributes elements of good design to 5e that have been in existence since OD&D - namely, Rule Zero. The author seems to think it's the bee's knees, even though it's standard for every RPG these days.
    4. It is slobbering in its fellatio for 5e without any real desire to explore its weaknesses.
    5. The author has no real concept of what good game design actually looks like, because then they might not be so quick to poo poo on 4e. Or if narrative is really the draw for the author (which it seems to be), then there are a boatload of games that do narrative way better that they clearly haven't played.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Getsuya posted:

We talked about it for a bit on page 255. It’s a (currently Japanese only) TRPG that combines the setting of Harry Potter, the flashy magic of the Tales series, and the combat system of Megaman Battle Network.

Oh poo poo, that sounds rad AF. Rock on.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My biggest issue was that the New Yorker style guide requires the game to be abbreviated as D. & D. complete with the periods.

But yeah that other stuff too.

Still, the more people playing FRPGs, the happier I am, even if it's 5e. It means a bigger potential player pool wherever you go.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dwarf74 posted:

My biggest issue was that the New Yorker style guide requires the game to be abbreviated as D. & D. complete with the periods.

that's more adorable than annoying, i think

like i'm sitting here giggling at the thought

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Lurdiak posted:

Warren Ellis has stated, even on these very forums I believe, that they were meant to represent Thatcher and Tony Blair

Hold on, hold on - Warren Ellis posted on SomethingAwful? How did I miss this.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kestral posted:

Hold on, hold on - Warren Ellis posted on SomethingAwful? How did I miss this.

it was a long long time ago and it was more of an ama style thing than being a regular poster

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And it lasted about 6 hours before he left in disgust.

It wasn't my fault, for the record.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

Did anyone else read yesterday's New Yorker article about D&D? (link: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-uncanny-resurrection-of-dungeons-and-dragons).

Read it, digest it, provide your thoughts. Mine are below in case you do not want to be negatively primed before reading the article.

OK, I have a lot of issues with it.
    1. It hits on one of my major pet peeves - that RPGs begin and end with the letters D&D.
    2. It hits on another peeve, and that's trotting out the old '4e is like a video game hurr' trope that never seems to die.
    3. It attributes elements of good design to 5e that have been in existence since OD&D - namely, Rule Zero. The author seems to think it's the bee's knees, even though it's standard for every RPG these days.
    4. It is slobbering in its fellatio for 5e without any real desire to explore its weaknesses.
    5. The author has no real concept of what good game design actually looks like, because then they might not be so quick to poo poo on 4e. Or if narrative is really the draw for the author (which it seems to be), then there are a boatload of games that do narrative way better that they clearly haven't played.

Regular folks got more to worry about than edition wars. The thesis of the article is, "More folks are playing tradgames and it's a great development!" Not "5e is the best dungeons and dragons."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Not being concerned about the quality of the thing as long as it gets people into a hobby is how you end up with folks that are really into 50 Shades of Grey and then never pick up another book.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not being concerned about the quality of the thing as long as it gets people into a hobby is how you end up with folks that are really into 50 Shades of Grey and then never pick up another book.

This is a super dumb take.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh, you've been by the 5e thread too?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Regular folks got more to worry about than edition wars. The thesis of the article is, "More folks are playing tradgames and it's a great development!" Not "5e is the best dungeons and dragons."

nah the article takes a pretty strong and extremely stupid position on the edition wars question

quote:

And yet the emphasis, even these days, is not on such forms but on moving beyond them. A decade ago, when developers attempted to bring Dungeons & Dragons into the twenty-first century by stuffing it with rules so that it might better resemble a video game, the glue of the game, the narrative aspect that drew so many in, melted away. Players hacked monsters to death, picked up treasure, collected experience points, and coolly moved through preset challenges. The plotters of the game’s fifth edition seemed to remember that D. & D.’s strength lay in creating indulgent spaces (get lost in your gnomish identity, quest or don’t, spend time flirting in the tavern) and opposing whatever modes of human industry prevailed among the broader public. D. & D. now has vastly simpler rules than those found in an iTunes terms-and-conditions agreement. The structures the designers made are also simpler and more subjective. If a player thinks of something clever, you don’t have to thumb through a handbook for a strictly defined bonus. The Dungeon Master can ponder the idea for a moment—could a dwarf with low charisma, with a few well-chosen compliments, really convince a city of elves to love him?—and then decide to reward the player with an extra chance to succeed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
LMAO 4e stuffed the game full of rules as opposed to every other edition, which stuffs the game full of spells and magic items.

That's a stupid-rear end article.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The New Yorker should be writing about Rifts

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

LMAO 4e stuffed the game full of rules as opposed to every other edition, which stuffs the game full of spells and magic items.

That's a stupid-rear end article.

no game with 3rd/5th style multi classing gets to even remotely call its rules simple

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Someone asked him what it felt like "to be named after where a rabbit lives" and I can't say for sure if that was the catalyst but it wasn't long from then to ejection.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

My Lovely Horse posted:

Someone asked him what it felt like "to be named after where a rabbit lives" and I can't say for sure if that was the catalyst but it wasn't long from then to ejection.

God I hope that was the reason because that's fuckin hilarious.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
To be fair, trying to pull in MMO players was a stated goal of 4e at Wizards (at least as handed down by management), so things like the focus on MMO-style roles was deliberate. That doesn't make it bad, of course, but the video game commonalities aren't coincidence.

Mind, a lot of people who say it are saying it out of reactionary feels and probably don't know anything about the game's development. But it's not a totally baseless thing to bring up.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lurdiak posted:

At least it went a little bit better than the period Gail Simone was posting in BSS

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nuns with Guns posted:

At least it went a little bit better than the period Gail Simone was posting in BSS
Or Kate Beaton's brief (very brief) time posting in LF.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josh Sawyer of Obsidian is a goon and still posts so we haven’t run everybody out.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FMguru posted:

Or Kate Beaton's brief (very brief) time posting in LF.

Kate had to put out a psa on her Twitter a few years ago asking goons to stop apologizing for that every time they saw her in person.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Andrast posted:

Josh Sawyer of Obsidian is a goon and still posts so we haven’t run everybody out.

he also posts on that crpg forum full of nazis so i’m guessing he kinda doesn’t care

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

he also posts on that crpg forum full of nazis so i’m guessing he kinda doesn’t care

There’s a crpg forum full of nazis?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Andrast posted:

There’s a crpg forum full of nazis?
Guessing pundit's therpgsite?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, trying to pull in MMO players was a stated goal of 4e at Wizards (at least as handed down by management), so things like the focus on MMO-style roles was deliberate. That doesn't make it bad, of course, but the video game commonalities aren't coincidence.

Mind, a lot of people who say it are saying it out of reactionary feels and probably don't know anything about the game's development. But it's not a totally baseless thing to bring up.
"they borrowed some ideas from CRPGs which in turn are inspired by videogame implementations of previous editions of D&D" would be a reasonable thing to say, but they didn't say that because that wouldn't support their argument

the whole point of the "making it like a video game" line is to suggest that they dropped the things that make tabletop rpgs different from videogames (and the new yorker piece is pretty explicit about this), which is clearly bullshit

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Guessing pundit's therpgsite?

no, not that. i can’t remember the name offhand, but i remember they had a whole thing in pillars of eternity as a special ks reward

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RPGCodex is full of psychopaths that stalk Rope Kid's posts but that they are Nazis is a first.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Andrast posted:

And we still have Dave Brookshaw posting pretty regularly in the WoD thread!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

4e is mostly like a board game when it comes to combat. It's a Classic RPG in every other way and I mean that as both a good and a bad: you and the DM argue about whether your character can do something or not, using an overly broad and kinda-worthless skill system.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My favorite celebrity run-off on SA was the guy who does Until We Win. I don’t think he even lasted half a day.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Lurdiak posted:

Good, gently caress him. That Netflix Castlevania series he did loving sucked.

“Oi, mate, what this here game about whipping vampire needs is me Dick Dorkins athiest hot takes, is what. We needs a Konami code to fight the Pope, is what.”

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Simian_Prime posted:

“Oi, mate, what this here game about whipping vampire needs is me Dick Dorkins athiest hot takes, is what. We needs a Konami code to fight the Pope, is what.”

Also a 10 minute conversation about bestiality.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Plutonis posted:

RPGCodex is full of psychopaths that stalk Rope Kid's posts but that they are Nazis is a first.

that’s it, rpgcodex. and it’s full of just straight up hateful garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lurdiak posted:

I think that Ellis' futurist schtick did not actually prepare him for Online.

Simian_Prime posted:

The bizarre thing is that he mentioned working on that script, in that thread, in 2008. Unless he first wrote a Castlevania manga I don't know about, that's some development hell.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 25, 2017

• Locked thread