Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

I wasn't a big fan the first time I saw it, but I've grown to appreciate it. I really liked it the last time I watched it (about a year ago?)

Same, I couldn't stand it when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
somehow i never got around to seeing hateful eight, and after reading all about mira sorvino, and harvey weinstein, i likely never will

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Death Proof is great, and it should always be considered as part of Grindhouse. Seeing Grindhouse in the theater with all the trailers (the Thanksgiving Day trailer was Eli Roth's peak) was one of my greatest theater experiences.

Still peak QT is Inglourious Basterds. It is by far his movie, while Pulp Fiction is his most important movie. Hateful Eight is his worse, and the only QT movie I didn't love.

That said Django Unchained suffers on repeat viewings. It still has some really high peaks of greatness, but you can see how it is leading up to how bad Hateful Eight is.

Also Kill Bill is the one QT movie I can't cut off when I see it is on. Just a fun movie (especially vol 1).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've always thought that Jackie Brown is his best, it's his most cohesive artistic statement. Inglorious Basterds comes close though.

I didn't much care for Hateful Eight in theater, but I'm open to a second try.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

Inglorious Basterds comes close though.

I am still not 100% sure the correct spelling of this movie, and I've seen it like 10 times.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Django's his weakest, imo, it's the only one of his movies where I clearly thought "this movie should have been over by now."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
One of my friends insisted his favorite Tarantino movie was Four Rooms, and wouldn't listen to me that Tarantino only directed one segment. I think he was just going for a hipster/obscure choice.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One of my friends insisted his favorite Tarantino movie was Four Rooms, and wouldn't listen to me that Tarantino only directed one segment. I think he was just going for a hipster/obscure choice.

Only the one that is a homage Roald Dahl's famous story was directed by him.

Also lie to him and tell him QT directed this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7IgwDqJhno

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My Tarantino ranking (as of now)

-Django
-Jackie
-Basterds
-Pulp
-Resevoir
-Bill 2
-Bill 1
-Hateful
-Death Proof

Which is ridiculous, since Rodriguez's segment blows the other three out of the water.

nate fisher posted:

Only the one that is a homage Roald Dahl's famous story was directed by him.

Also lie to him and tell him QT directed this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7IgwDqJhno

Tarantino's always had terrible hair.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Four Rooms does kick rear end, regardless of this. I also consider Natural Born Killers a Tarantino film.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The weakest Tarantino is Death Proof and Jackie Brown is his best and anyone who disagrees about the latter is excommunicated

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
None of Tarantino's other movies make me want to cry, but goddammit the ending of Jackie Brown always makes me tear up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drunken officeparty posted:

Ah I see you subscribe to the "be totally wrong" school of thought.

Hmm yes the Tarantino adaptation of an Elmore Leonard novel starring Pam Grier, that's the worst one, I agree, also what's your favorite kind of glue to eat mine is elmers

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hmm yes the Tarantino adaptation of an Elmore Leonard novel starring Pam Grier, that's the worst one, I agree, also what's your favorite kind of glue to eat mine is elmers

Out of Sight vs. Jackie Brown?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

None of Tarantino's other movies make me want to cry, but goddammit the ending of Jackie Brown always makes me tear up.

I got pretty emotional during Shosanna's death set to "Un Amico" in Inglourious Basterds. Croce's "I Got A Name" in Django the first time I saw it gave me a really big surge of emotion, too.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 25, 2017

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

precision posted:

I've always thought that Jackie Brown is his best, it's his most cohesive artistic statement. Inglorious Basterds comes close though.

I didn't much care for Hateful Eight in theater, but I'm open to a second try.

I really disliked Jackie Brown when it first came out, because I was a kid, Quentin Tarantino had become known to me because of Pulp Fiction and I wanted more Pulp Fiction, not more Quentin Tarantino. I warmed to it in my mid 20s, mainly because my relationship with films had changed a lot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Didn't Forster get a Oscar nomination for Jackie Brown? I think I remember that he did, and if he didn't he deserved one.

Forster had one of the tougher jobs of anyone in the Twin Peaks revival and he 100% pulled it off, it was very impressive.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Kill Bill I is the only Tarantino I don't love

I can't rank the others because each one is great in some way or another, even Death Proof which isn't universally respected

If anyone didn't like Hateful 8, it's worth a rewatch, the Jackson-Goggins dynamic is sublime

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
also kill bill pt 2 is miles ahead of pt 1, don't @ me you cowards

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Mindhunters is kind of a mixed bag but definitely worth a watch if you want four hours of Fincher and six hours of Fincher pastiche. The completely disconnected BTK stuff didn't work for me at all, though, it feels weirdly like a classed-up version of Marvel's storytelling through fanservice.

Holt McCallany is absolutely incredible in it and I hope he starts getting a ton of work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKpFZjqJzaY

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Arguing about Tarantino movies is splitting hairs and not really worth it. Watch all of them and enjoy his work.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My favorite detail of that montage that I didn't catch before is that bill is clearly reading Playboy on the plane and that's why what's his dick looks over at the centerfold

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Mindhunters is kind of a mixed bag but definitely worth a watch if you want four hours of Fincher and six hours of Fincher pastiche. The completely disconnected BTK stuff didn't work for me at all, though, it feels weirdly like a classed-up version of Marvel's storytelling through fanservice.

Holt McCallany is absolutely incredible in it and I hope he starts getting a ton of work

What drives me NUTS is that they use that car shot exactly for the reason you think they're gonna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC6ChpMjAZI&t=38s

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

morestuff posted:

I'd say it's much better than merely a mixed bag. I thought it was great!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Guys

Guys

Foodfight!, the worst movie ever made, is on Amazon Prime.

Dehumanize yourself and face to Sunshine Goodness.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I'd say it's much better than merely a mixed bag. I thought it was great!

I did like it on the whole, and it has some really terrific scenes, but it's so open-ended I just felt unsatisfied

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Franchescanado posted:

My Tarantino ranking (as of now)

-Django
-Jackie
-Basterds
-Pulp
-Resevoir
-Bill 2
-Bill 1
-Hateful
-Death Proof

Which order is this in? Best to worst or worst to best? I honestly can't tell. There are people making arguments for all of these movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

Which order is this in? Best to worst or worst to best? I honestly can't tell. There are people making arguments for all of these movies.

Favorite to least favorite, not a ranking of quality or influence.

I owe Jackie a revisit, though. One of my favorite Jackson villains.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Any good films in the vein of No Reservations or Big Daddy, where people suddenly end up taking care of kids?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Baronash posted:

Any good films in the vein of No Reservations or Big Daddy, where people suddenly end up taking care of kids?

Manchester by the Sea, A Girl At My Door, Adult Beginners (but it's whatever), Happythankyoumoreplease (but it's bad). There's a short film called Curfew which is decent; it was extended as a feature called Before I Disappear too, though I haven't seen it to judge. You could even go for Martha Marcy May Marlene, although I think she's a young adult in that, but there's a similar dramatic root to it. At a push you could go for the Jonathan Glazer film Birth but it turns the idea completely on its head.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Allyn posted:

Manchester by the Sea, A Girl At My Door, Adult Beginners (but it's whatever), Happythankyoumoreplease (but it's bad). There's a short film called Curfew which is decent; it was extended as a feature called Before I Disappear too, though I haven't seen it to judge. You could even go for Martha Marcy May Marlene, although I think she's a young adult in that, but there's a similar dramatic root to it. At a push you could go for the Jonathan Glazer film Birth but it turns the idea completely on its head.

Really appreciate the list, thanks!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I liked Hateful 8 except for the flashback bit. It was just way to self indulgent even for him and I think the rest of the movie suffers for it

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I love me some Kill Bill. Both of them have the most rewatch ability of QTs flicks

I’m kinda lukewarm on Jackie Brown but I’m not overly familiar with Blaxpotation movies

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Baronash posted:

Paper Moon and Alice in the Cities are both on Filmstruck, if the off-chance you have that.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Baronash posted:

Aliens.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

He said in the vein of No Reservations or Big Daddy. Otherwise, I would have recommended Chinatown

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Terminator 2?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hard Boiled!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Baronash posted:

Baby Boom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The professional